PDA

View Full Version : Back to the top 5 fastest...

mysticsoto
04-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Following up on the posts we were talking about several weeks back, it looks like it is Greer that is the fastest on the team: http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14414962&BRD=386&PAG=461&dept_id=444921&rfi=6

According to Bills’ president general/manager Tom Donahoe, Greer is the fastest player on the roster and will get a long look in training camp

...and it looks like they might be thinking of starting him if he does well in camp - maybe at nickel ahead of Kevin Thomas?

So now who are the fastest with all the new players including the undrafted?

1. Greer

Candidates? Evans, Parrish, Clements, McGee, Eric King...anyone else?

Mahdi
04-26-2005, 01:33 PM
1.Greer
2.Parrish
3.Evans
4.King
5.Clements

Jan Reimers
04-26-2005, 01:36 PM
I think Evans and Parrish - both around 4.40 guys - are probably in there. Moorman is a candidate too, unless he's lost a half step.

EDS
04-26-2005, 02:17 PM
I did not realize Greer was that fast. Why wasn't he drafted? He is thin yes, but has o.k. height, played in a good program, etc. I am really starting to like the Bills depth at CB.

Jan Reimers
04-26-2005, 02:21 PM
I did not realize Greer was that fast. Why wasn't he drafted? He is thin yes, but has o.k. height, played in a good program, etc. I am really starting to like the Bills depth at CB.
I think Greer was considered one of those really fast track guys who didn't have great football skills, or instincts, or whatever...

EDS
04-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Interesting. Great pick-up as an undrafted free agent then.

I know this is like beating a dead horse, but it is really amazing how well some of last years undrafted free agents worked out. Greer and Baker both have demonstrated at least some potential to be solid back-ups at worst, and potential starters at best.

Peters is raw as sushi but has some interesting physical talents that may yet allow him to develop into a capable offensive lineman.

Williams I actually don't think will ever be a starter, and maybe not even a number two back, but he is a good option as a third tailback/change of pace guy.

ryjam282
04-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Actually, didn't Evans run a 4.31 at the combine and I know Parrish was a 4.37 this year. So, they are up there. Wasn't Mcgee and Clements up there as well? They were in the Pro Bowl fastest man competition.

EDS
04-26-2005, 02:42 PM
If Greer can run faster then a 4.31 forty then he can flat out fly. Granted, speed isn't everything (see Antonio Brown), butit can't hurt.

mysticsoto
04-26-2005, 03:06 PM
1.Greer
2.Parrish
3.Evans
4.King
5.Clements
King is faster than Clements? Wow! Not to get anyone riled up, but let's say they start Greer at nickelback, and King also looks good this year...does that allow us to let NC go without incurring a huge cap hit for signing him next year?

Calm down...everyone...just looking at it from a money perspective...:scared:

if these 2 CBs play to their potential, we might be able to save ourselves alot of money.

Realistically, I think we should pay NC a fair salary and try to keep him...but I'm hoping that he doesn't go nuts and want the world!!! If so, then it's nice to know we have our "nice and speedy depth" to fall back on.

Ed
04-26-2005, 03:09 PM
If Greer is the fastest guy on the team, it's not surprising then that Mularkey wanted to use him on some reverse plays last year, which he was heavily critisized for.

Mr. Cynical
04-26-2005, 03:16 PM
I agree it's great to have speed at corner....but it doesn't help you in the end zone going up against 6'+ WRs. It would be nice to add one tall, physical CB that we could match up on guys in those situations.

mysticsoto
04-26-2005, 03:18 PM
If Greer is the fastest guy on the team, it's not surprising then that Mularkey wanted to use him on some reverse plays last year, which he was heavily critisized for.
Well, yes, he was criticized, and he deserved to be criticized. All eyes were on Greer. I mean, you bring a DB to play offense and expect people to not have their eye on what he might be up to? He should have been a decoy - it might have worked better! Reverses work by fooling the LBs into going one way and then changing the direction of play. If everyone is looking at Greer b'cse he's a DB that usually isn't in the offense and is sticking out like a sore thumb, then the attempt at deception fails - you want to catch the defenses napping and overplaying the pursuit...it also helps if the LBs you are facing are slow.

Ed
04-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Well, yes, he was criticized, and he deserved to be criticized. All eyes were on Greer. I mean, you bring a DB to play offense and expect people to not have their eye on what he might be up to? He should have been a decoy - it might have worked better! Reverses work by fooling the LBs into going one way and then changing the direction of play. If everyone is looking at Greer b'cse he's a DB that usually isn't in the offense and is sticking out like a sore thumb, then the attempt at deception fails - you want to catch the defenses napping and overplaying the pursuit...it also helps if the LBs you are facing are slow.
I don't know if that was the only or first time that Greer stepped on the field though, for the offense. He could have been in on some previous plays. It's hard to notice sometimes.

EDS
04-26-2005, 03:57 PM
I agree it's great to have speed at corner....but it doesn't help you in the end zone going up against 6'+ WRs. It would be nice to add one tall, physical CB that we could match up on guys in those situations.

Agreed. Although I thin that is why you hold on to a guy like Kevin Thomas, who does have good size and skill but lacks top end speed.

blue on blue
04-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Moorman was a division 2 NCAA champion 110-meter high hurdle national champion.. I would venture to say that the fastest guy on our team is our punter. Football is football and track is track and track guys blow so-called football speed away.

gr8slayer
04-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Evans was a world class sprinter in college, how is he not numbe rone?

Jan Reimers
04-26-2005, 04:38 PM
Moorman was a division 2 NCAA champion 110-meter high hurdle national champion.. I would venture to say that the fastest guy on our team is our punter. Football is football and track is track and track guys blow so-called football speed away.
Thanks. I have said that he is regarded by his teammates as one of the fastest guys on the team, but very few Zoners seem to believe it.

I think Greer was a track guy in college too, and I imagine there are a few others, so I don't know exactly how Moorman stacks up - but he is fast.

Jan Reimers
04-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Evans was a world class sprinter in college, how is he not numbe rone?
Oh...he may be right there with Greer then.

baalworship
04-26-2005, 05:21 PM
What about McGahee? I know that he ran a 4.25 40 at Miami before he blew out his knee. While he might not be there right now it's possible he's getting closer. He has been doing speed training recently so it will be interesting to see if he has an extra gear this year.

ParanoidAndroid
04-26-2005, 05:38 PM

Ummm....Division II high hurdles? That's really awesome, but a lot of these guys were Division I track atheletes. Some Div I programs wouldn't let Moorman on the track.

Yasgur's Farm
04-26-2005, 06:08 PM
According to CouchScout.com...

Evans 4.35
Clements 4.37
McGahee 4.39
Henry 4.39 (No ***** way)
McGee 4.42
Greer 4.42
Spikes 4.45
Fletcher 4.45
Reed 4.48
Aiken 4.49
Vincent 4.49
>
>
>
Losman 4.69
Holcomb 4.76
Moorman 4.76

According to NFLDraftScout.com...

Parrish 4.37
Eric King 4.50

Dozerdog
04-26-2005, 06:18 PM

Then again- being 6'0'' and having a WR beat you on a deep post pattern by 5-10 yards doesn't do you any good. Having a 6'0'' guy who runs a 4.40 x40 will cost you a top 10 pick in the draft.

Bling
04-26-2005, 07:06 PM
What about McGahee? I know that he ran a 4.25 40 at Miami before he blew out his knee. While he might not be there right now it's possible he's getting closer. He has been doing speed training recently so it will be interesting to see if he has an extra gear this year.

LMAO. You know Craphonso Thorpe? They said he ran a 4.19 40 at FSU. Tell me are you going to believe that? and he's a track star. Everyone lies about their speed, just like everyone lied about their size in High School.

buffaloted90
04-26-2005, 07:40 PM
i dont know guys i think LEE is the fastest,do you remember the Miami game when he out ran a corner on a post the last thing i remember seeing was the corner waving his arms ,as to say man i cant catch him,Classic

mypoorfriendme
04-27-2005, 12:44 AM
those 40 times are reaaaally inflated. not only are legit 4.3's few and far between, but 4.4's are rant by any linebacker in the the nfl.

lets assume for a minute these times are legit, they dont mean anything because none of these players play as fast as associated with their times. Conversly, there are a lot of people who play faster than their 40 yard times.

at most positions however, 40 yard times are completely insignifigant because no one in the nfl (bar maybe a few recievers) run in direct lines starting with their hands down in sprinter stance (let alone with no helmets, pads, pants, and cleats slowing you down)

40 TIMES ARE EXAGERATED AND OVERRATED!!! i dont care what who runs as long as they play football

**anquian boldin ran a 4.78 at the combine and antonio brown alledgedly ran a 4.18**

LifetimeBillsFan
04-27-2005, 06:42 AM
....40 TIMES ARE EXAGERATED AND OVERRATED!!! i dont care what who runs as long as they play football

**anquian boldin ran a 4.78 at the combine and antonio brown alledgedly ran a 4.18**

You are quite right: 40 times are exaggerated and overrated. Football speed is more important, as is desire. The best college football player I ever saw--and I told everyone I knew about him when he was a junior--was a kid from Miss. Valley St. named Jerry Rice who a lot of teams passed on in the draft, even though he was an absolutely dominating player, because he didn't have a good 40 time.... The HOF is full of guys with less than ideal "measurables" like the 40, which is why, for all the emphasis that is put on them--especially by the draft guides--the best players aren't always the ones with the best physical attributes or commbination of "measurables".

That being said, if Donohoe says that Greer is the fastest guy on the team, I would have to rank him # 1 on any list, because TD and the others who see these guys every day should know. After that, I would have to rely on the 40 times available plus what we know about the injuries that they have had and that would mean that Lee Evans would have to go # 2. Evans did have a 4.21 40 time, I believe, prior to his knee injury, but ran a 4.35 after his recovery. Willis McGahee ran a sub-4.3 time prior to his knee injury as well, but, given the severity of the injury and the fact that he has put on 10-20 lbs, I would doubt that he is as fast as Evans or Parrish at this point. McGee, Clements, Moorman and King would probably be right their challenging Willis and each other for the #4 and # 5 spots on any list. I would probably put my money on McGee to edge out the rest of the group if I had to, but I think it would be very close.

TigerJ
04-27-2005, 07:40 AM
As fans, we never see these guys in a race on a level playing field. That's why we end up talking about this kind of stuff. The combine is the closest thing to a level playing field, and in the combine Evans is the fastest Bill. Greer ran in the 4.45 range. Parrish ran in the 4.37 range, King a 4.45, Clements around a 4.37, McGee ran a pedestrian 4.53. However, we never know what factors may have affected those times. Did Greer and McGee just have bad days? The Bills imply that Parrish is every bit as fast as Evans, and as has been mentioned that Greer is the fastest Bill. If the Bills want to even mention the relative speed of given players, I think as part of training camp, they ought to run a couple competitive sprints. It would generate a lot of fan interest, and I think the risk of injury is negligible compared with just the normal risk always associated with training camp.