PDA

View Full Version : Can they really be thinking that McFarlane is the answer??

Earthquake Enyart
04-27-2005, 08:18 AM
Gandy at LT doesn't make sense. He's an oft injured backup who couldn't make the Bears (who have as crappy a line as the Bills do). He is a versitile back up, and it makes sense to get him for depth.

Teague at LT and a rookie at center makes no sense.

The only option left is McFarlane, as far as I can see. Could he have progressed enough for him to start this year?

Jan Reimers
04-27-2005, 08:24 AM
One Word: Peters

clumping platelets
04-27-2005, 08:42 AM
I read that the Bills FO thinks the 1 thing that has held Gandy from reaching his potential has been the injuries. If he can stay healthy and utilize McNally's teaching, he could develop into a capable LT.

superbills
04-27-2005, 09:01 AM
Why woldn't you expect them to do a Teague to left tackle and Tucker at Center? Tucker played very well over there last year and, personally, if we are going to have a new starter playing as a starter at a position for the first time, I would rather it be at center than at left tackle.

Earthquake Enyart
04-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Why woldn't you expect them to do a Teague to left tackle and Tucker at Center? Tucker played very well over there last year and, personally, if we are going to have a new starter playing as a starter at a position for the first time, I would rather it be at center than at left tackle.
I don't think Teague is big enough.

I don't think Gandy is good enough.

eyedog
04-27-2005, 09:29 AM
I'm pretty confident that we will see Teague as the starting LT come Sept. I really don't see any other options at this time. McFarland or Peters are both probably a year away. Gandy is nothing more than a backup.
I also think come Sept Tucker will be starting at C, at least initially. I do see Preston taking over for him sometime during the year. If things fall right he may beat him out to start the season.

mysticsoto
04-27-2005, 09:35 AM

They are going to play the best person at each position - in training camp and preseason they evaluate the players and then make the pick. If this Preston guy is as smart as they say, he might be able to learn the playbook fast enough to start this season. He finished college in 3 yrs I believe had a 4.0 GPA (or am I getting confused with someone else?). As soon as he comes to mini-camp this weekend - no doubt that Mularkey will give him a list of plays to learn and maybe even have them prioritized. I think he just might start!

As for LT, Peters just needs to keep practicing the position and the blocking over and over until it becomes automatic. I'm guessing TT will start, but sooner or later, Peters is going to take over. He has the best physique and athleticism for it. Gandy is a wild card b'cse in truth, we don't know what he's going to bring. If he is working as hard as Mularkey has alluded to, he just might steal it from TT, but if he is injury prone, he might not be able to hold on to it for too long.

In either case, I trust McNally to make a decision at the end of training camp to see who should be in which position. Last year, he did a good job of improving a very poor, untried and little cohesion-developed line, into an average one. This year, I expect that after targeting the type of player he likes and wants to teach---the type of players that he thinks are capable of working his system, this line should be alot better!

Bert102176
04-27-2005, 10:10 AM
I think Preston will end up the starter at C and Peters the starter at LT and after some time together the OL will be fine

ghz in pittsburgh
04-27-2005, 10:28 AM
The question is how many games will we lose before then? Don't forget about Losman as a new starter, either. So the question really is how many games will the Bills lose before Losman gets comfortable at center and the offensive line taking shape? I assume that Losman will get comfortable under center eventually this season. If he doesn't, then we have a bust on hand.

My biggest worry, honestly, is injury. I really don't have any facts to back me up, but the little bit I've seen Losman play last year, my gut feeling is that he's going to get hurt. He does not strike me as brittle as RJ, but he certainly does not behave savvy as Flutie - knowing when to slide/take a sack/get rid of the ball to protect himself.

ddaryl
04-27-2005, 10:32 AM

Teague is plenty big enough. He's 6-5 300 + lbs

I agree about Gandy, and wouldn't be surprised if he is a preseason cut.

Ed
04-27-2005, 11:04 AM
I read that the Bills FO thinks the 1 thing that has held Gandy from reaching his potential has been the injuries. If he can stay healthy and utilize McNally's teaching, he could develop into a capable LT.
I read the same thing. Apparently he's a guy they've always liked a lot.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up keeping Teague at center, just because Losman said he's been working with him a lot and feels comfortable with him. Losman said he hopes they don't move Teague and they seem to be listening to him.

BuffaloRanger
04-27-2005, 11:05 AM
That would be funny. Gandy touted as a potential LT in April, not even making the team in August. But it wouldn't be because he sucked. Noooo. It would be because the other lineman were so good.

Kerr
04-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Why couldn't you see Teague at LT and Preston starting at C? I mean, i'm not so thrilled about teague at all, but it seems he's the front runner for the LT position. As far as preston goes, there's a very good chance he could start at C. A couple of teams have done well at the C position with rookies starting at center(San Diego, Oakland). Not saying Preston will definitely have that success, but there's definitely a chance he could do well.

Ed
04-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Well whatever they do, I think they'll make a decision fairly soon and just stick with it. I'm sure they'll try at least a few different players at LT and C over the next few mini camps, but I expect that we'll pretty much know the starting line-up before training camp starts. Then it'll basically be their job to lose.

ParanoidAndroid
04-27-2005, 11:24 AM
I read the same thing. Apparently he's a guy they've always liked a lot.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up keeping Teague at center, just because Losman said he's been working with him a lot and feels comfortable with him. Losman said he hopes they don't move Teague and they seem to be listening to him.

I don't think the decision is going to be up to Losman. If Teague proves to be our best option at LT, there is no way he doesn't move. Also, Teague is likely gone after this year and Preston has more potential at center than Teague IMHO.
I seems to make more sense to me, to get Preston and Losman going ASAP. Otherwise, Losman spends a year taking snaps from Teague and then will have to adjust a year later.

Meathead
04-27-2005, 11:28 AM
I'm pretty confident that we will see Teague as the starting LT come Sept. I really don't see any other options at this time. McFarland or Peters are both probably a year away. Gandy is nothing more than a backup.
I also think come Sept Tucker will be starting at C, at least initially. I do see Preston taking over for him sometime during the year. If things fall right he may beat him out to start the season.
It's like we were brothers separated at birth.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2005, 11:35 AM
Gandy at LT doesn't make sense. He's an oft injured backup who couldn't make the Bears (who have as crappy a line as the Bills do). He is a versitile back up, and it makes sense to get him for depth.

Teague at LT and a rookie at center makes no sense.

The only option left is McFarlane, as far as I can see. Could he have progressed enough for him to start this year?
Teague to tackle and Tucker at center.

Mr. Miyagi
04-27-2005, 12:11 PM
LJ Shelton is still an option when he gets cut.

Earthquake Enyart
04-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Teague to tackle and Tucker at center.
No.

We've watched Teague get blown up time and time again at center. No way he can make it at LT.

ddaryl
04-27-2005, 12:51 PM
No.

We've watched Teague get blown up time and time again at center. No way he can make it at LT.
Teague is not that bad at C, he does get out muscled by much bigger DT's

LT requires more agility against lighter speedier DE's. Teague is better suited to play T then C.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2005, 01:36 PM
Teague is not that bad at C, he does get out muscled by much bigger DT's

LT requires more agility against lighter speedier DE's. Teague is better suited to play T then C.
I agree. I would still have doubts but he may be our best option.

Ed
04-27-2005, 03:47 PM
I don't think the decision is going to be up to Losman. If Teague proves to be our best option at LT, there is no way he doesn't move. Also, Teague is likely gone after this year and Preston has more potential at center than Teague IMHO.
I seems to make more sense to me, to get Preston and Losman going ASAP. Otherwise, Losman spends a year taking snaps from Teague and then will have to adjust a year later.
I don't think it'll be up to Losman either, but I'm sure he'll lobby to the coaches pretty hard to keep Teague at center. Ultimately the coaches will decide what's best, but I think they'll at least give Losman's opinions some consideration. I mean they asked him who he wanted as a 3rd qb and he said Matthews and they obliged. I'n not saying that Losman is making management decisions now, but I think they're willing to listen to try and make Losman as comfortable as possible.

ddaryl
04-27-2005, 04:53 PM
I don't think it'll be up to Losman either, but I'm sure he'll lobby to the coaches pretty hard to keep Teague at center. Ultimately the coaches will decide what's best, but I think they'll at least give Losman's opinions some consideration. I mean they asked him who he wanted as a 3rd qb and he said Matthews and they obliged. I'n not saying that Losman is making management decisions now, but I think they're willing to listen to try and make Losman as comfortable as possible.

This is Teague's last season as a Bill. If Preston can show enough to win the position battle it will benefit JP the most since Preston is projected to be the long term answer for us a C.

Teague would benefit most by moving to LT while our young guns get more experience. If teague has a half way decent season at LT he'll hit his payday in the offseason.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2005, 05:19 PM
This is Teague's last season as a Bill. If Preston can show enough to win the position battle it will benefit JP the most since Preston is projected to be the long term answer for us a C.

Teague would benefit most by moving to LT while our young guns get more experience. If teague has a half way decent season at LT he'll hit his payday in the offseason.
agreed!