• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dominator77
    Zoner
    • Apr 2005

Question about fans in general

Why do you think fans of teams refer to the team as "we" and "our". Fans do not play for the teams. Fans are not on the roster. I never understood this fascination and feeling that fans are part of the team when the players are multi-millionaires and live completely oppositie lives than the average fan.

I personally kind of feel it is pathetic that fans do this. I am guilty of it myself at times. Do any of you feel kind of pathetic and useless when you are rooting for a bunch of black millionaires who are not even from Buffalo and do not give a flying rat's azz what you think of them?

Just a thought.
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

I've often thought the same way, particularly when I've put myself in "Bills Rehab." At those times, when I've let Bills losses make me miserable for days on end, I've talked myself into thinking, "Why should I let 53 spoiled athletes, who don't even know I exist, ruin my life?"

Then I go back to being a true Bills fan, taking every loss personally, ranting and raving at games, passionately following their every move, and generally acting like a 10 year old kid. Isn't that what real fans do?
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Dominator77
      Zoner
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
      I've often thought the same way, particularly when I've put myself in "Bills Rehab." At those times, when I've let Bills losses make me miserable for days on end, I've talked myself into thinking, "Why should I let 53 spoiled athletes, who don't even know I exist, ruin my life?"

Then I go back to being a true Bills fan, taking every loss personally, ranting and raving at games, passionately following their every move, and generally acting like a 10 year old kid. Isn't that what real fans do?
      I guess so. Your post makes alot of sense. I guess fans will never change so why bother.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dominator77
        Why do you think fans of teams refer to the team as "we" and "our". Fans do not play for the teams. Fans are not on the roster. I never understood this fascination and feeling that fans are part of the team when the players are multi-millionaires and live completely oppositie lives than the average fan.

I personally kind of feel it is pathetic that fans do this. I am guilty of it myself at times. Do any of you feel kind of pathetic and useless when you are rooting for a bunch of black millionaires who are not even from Buffalo and do not give a flying rat's azz what you think of them?

Just a thought.
        Who cares either way. Hey I help pay their salaries with season tix.

Comment

• BuffaloJayhawk
          • Aug 2004

I guess so. Your post makes alot of sense. I guess fans will never change so why bother.
          that explains fish fans, now what about us?
          http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• NJFINSFAN1
            NJ In The House
            • Nov 2004

They don't call us the 12th man for nothing!!!

Time To Ski!

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

No fans, no team.

The only reason why the fins excists is because most of their opponents team show up .
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Charlieguide
                Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time
                • Feb 2004

. . . Do any of you feel kind of pathetic and useless when you are rooting for a bunch of black millionaires . . .
                While I find the general idea of your post amusing -- and I sometimes wonder why I think that way, too, lol -- there's no need to bring up a player's race.

That is, unless you are troubled by the cultural background of some players on your favorite team. If that's the case, I suggest you spend some time looking in the mirror, thinking about who you are.
                The best is yet to come, and the rest is history. -- Oval Opus

Comment

• Pride
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Charlieguide
                  While I find the general idea of your post amusing -- and I sometimes wonder why I think that way, too, lol -- there's no need to bring up a player's race.

That is, unless you are troubled by the cultural background of some players on your favorite team. If that's the case, I suggest you spend some time looking in the mirror, thinking about who you are.
                  Had he said "...rooting for a bunch of white millionaires..." would you have responded in the same way?

I highly doubt you would have even bothered to post.

And assuming you wouldn't have reacted in the same way, aren't you being a little hypocritical?

I hate these double standards!

Comment

• camelcowboy
                    • Mar 2005

Just a thought.
                    On monday, i count the hours to kick off. On game day i become physically ill if they lose, or do something really stupid "punt on New Englands 42"
                    Im happy for the week if they win. im a better person to be around, girlfriend, work, family. I devote 4 hours on my day off to watching the Bills.
                    I pay 50 bucks a pop for tickets to about 4 games a year.

If your still not convinced this is "our" or "your" team then why are you spending your freetime during the offseason on a computer writing about this team in this forum.

Yeah, i say its our team

Comment

• Dominator77
                      Zoner
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by camelcowboy
                      On monday, i count the hours to kick off. On game day i become physically ill if they lose, or do something really stupid "punt on New Englands 42"
                      Im happy for the week if they win. im a better person to be around, girlfriend, work, family. I devote 4 hours on my day off to watching the Bills.
                      I pay 50 bucks a pop for tickets to about 4 games a year.

If your still not convinced this is "our" or "your" team then why are you spending your freetime during the offseason on a computer writing about this team in this forum.

Yeah, i say its our team

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
                        WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
                        • Mar 2003

If someone lives in Buffalo or grew up in Buffalo, they refer to Buffalo as "my/our city."

The team is not the called the Bills. It is the Buffalo Bills. Therefore it could be refered to by someone as "my team". Hence the "We", and "Our". Most Bills fans outside of Buffalo do have some Buffalo connections. Friend's or relative's favorite team for instance. Some Bills fans have never been to Buffalo, but for a variety of reasons feel an allegiance to the Bills that only a sports team can produce. A diehard fan is a diehard fan regardless of where they live.

To be a die-hard Bills fan I think you need to have suffered with the team and it's fan's through heartbreaks. The Bills have provided plenty of heartbreaks. But we all know it will be that much sweeter when they finally do win the SuperBowl. I myself will cry like a baby.

A team needs the support of it's city. You don't see 5 year olds wearing Microsoft shirts or cheering for Walmart (not counting NASCAR). Sports teams are the age old equivalent of city-states going to war against each other. Humans need competition. Sports teams provide that in the way that your team is "fighting" against another team - and it's fans.
                        Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Pride
                          Had he said "...rooting for a bunch of white millionaires..." would you have responded in the same way?

I highly doubt you would have even bothered to post.

And assuming you wouldn't have reacted in the same way, aren't you being a little hypocritical?

I hate these double standards!

I would of for sure called him out on it, there is absolutely no need to bring a person's race into this discussion, justify its place here and then maybe you could have a point but you cant and you have no point atleast as it pertains to this topic of discssion.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• The_Philster
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NJFINSFAN1
                            They don't call us the 12th man for nothing!!!
                            Kinda sad a Fish fan had to explain it so well with so few words
                            The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• camelcowboy
                              • Mar 2005

Whats up Dominatrice???

Comment

Working...
                              X