PDA

View Full Version : What's the likelyhood that TD just cuts his losses...

Jeff1220
04-29-2005, 11:03 AM
...and releases Travis? The only thing stopping this, imo, is TD's ego, and that's a pretty big obstacle.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-29-2005, 11:06 AM
It might just come to that. If the team signs A-train you might see that or TD just getting the first offer he gets.

Dicknoze69
04-29-2005, 11:08 AM
There's no sense in just releasing Henry. At worst, you shop him around for a late round pick, and take whatever offer is thrown your way. I guarantee there'd be some offers if all TD wanted was a late rounder.

EDS
04-29-2005, 11:09 AM
If he refuses to report then no sense in cutting him and letting him have the opportunity to sign with another team. Let him suffer and not receive his salary.

TedMock
04-29-2005, 11:13 AM
We don't really know what happened behind the scenes. Were Henry and his agent being difficult about a contract extension before the trade? Maybe. We've seen that speculation as much as any. Then again, maybe TD was just being a jerk. Also possible. I seriously don't see Henry as being an angel or victim in this whole thing though. As far as I'm concerned, keep him if we can't get decent value for him. If he refuses to play, or show up to camp, fine him, fine him again, and again, and again. Sit out all year, in a contract year, lose money, and see how well you do via free agency next year. I don't feel sorry for either one of them.

Mr. Miyagi
04-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Cutting him won't help our cap at all. Put him on the shelf until some team needs him in preseason.

dannyek71
04-29-2005, 11:18 AM
Cutting him won't help our cap at all. Put him on the shelf until some team needs him in preseason.
I agree

If he doesnt report to camp, how does that hurt us?

At WORST, lets get a 7th round pick for him

In the preseason or even a week into the season a back will go down, and the value of TH will skyrocket

ghz in pittsburgh
04-29-2005, 11:26 AM
Remember safty Battle the Bills were to release last year? TD played hardball when he requested to be release even though all indications are we won't include him in our 53-men roster. Battle wanted to go to the Steelers and he did evetually.

Whether Henry reports or not, he's a chip. That chip may have a lot of value when someone goes down in pre-season, even first 4 games of regular season. Imagine Arrington pulls an ACL or Westbrook turns an ankle or Lamont Jordan gets a concussion ... Suddenly Henry looks very pretty - perfect for a one year gap with his salary and production - to that unfortunate team.

Jeff1220
04-29-2005, 11:30 AM
Travis certainly has been quiet this week. You'd think every NFL sportwriter would be trying to get a comment or two from him :question:

ddaryl
04-29-2005, 12:00 PM
cutting him saves 950k

but I agreee hold on to TH until the last possible moment. If no deal goes through then cut your losses.

If we keep TH and he holds out he still counts as a roster spot and that will hurt.

trapezeus
04-29-2005, 12:49 PM
I feel bad for Henry at times. If you translate football into a job, as it is for these players, they need to produce their income now. It's not just a game to them like it is for us fans. So as hard as it is for us to comprehend the dollar amounts, he has a valid point. I wouldn't want to do my job as the second fiddle with no opportunity to grow or increase in value. And I'm in a job that I could conceivably do until I'm 59. I just hope the bills make the right business decision so the fans are happy and that henry makes the right business decision so that he's happy.

He gave us his sweat and pain during very uneventful years. You can't just forget that.

Dicknoze69
04-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Travis certainly has been quiet this week. You'd think every NFL sportwriter would be trying to get a comment or two from him :question:

I was thinking the same thing. Wonder if he knows something we don't ?

The_Philster
04-29-2005, 03:16 PM
I feel bad for Henry at times. If you translate football into a job, as it is for these players, they need to produce their income now. It's not just a game to them like it is for us fans. So as hard as it is for us to comprehend the dollar amounts, he has a valid point. I wouldn't want to do my job as the second fiddle with no opportunity to grow or increase in value. And I'm in a job that I could conceivably do until I'm 59. I just hope the bills make the right business decision so the fans are happy and that henry makes the right business decision so that he's happy.

He gave us his sweat and pain during very uneventful years. You can't just forget that.

I don't think anyone is forgetting that. He's still being a whiny little ***** by refusing to show up

trapezeus
04-29-2005, 03:21 PM
I don't think anyone is forgetting that. He's still being a whiny little ***** by refusing to show up
Yeah, he is, but it isn't without a certain amount of correctness. If someone was hired to fill my position when i was doing it pretty superbly and management said, "kevin, we aren't looking to replace you, we just want two guys to do be able to do the same thing." I'd still be a little wary. And then the second I call in sick, this guy performs well I'm out. I don't have my job? That would rub me the wrong way too. I'm all for Mcgahee. I think he's a stud, and I liked him when we drafted him. I didn't realize how hard it is to have two good running backs. Either we buy into this game as a team game, or we buy into it as a business. When its a business, two great guys can't be on the same team. when its a sport and team game, those two should learn to work with each other.

Dozerdog
04-29-2005, 04:46 PM
...and releases Travis? The only thing stopping this, imo, is TD's ego, and that's a pretty big obstacle.
I still gotta laugh at these kind of posts...

If they can't explain a football move for football reasons- it's always some sinister "ego" excuse or conspiracy theory. How about the obvious? Henry has a value in this team's eyes- and if that value isn't met- then he stays and plays out the contract.

It's like a cave man blaming thunder and lightning on "angry weather gods"

superbills
04-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Yeah, he is, but it isn't without a certain amount of correctness. If someone was hired to fill my position when i was doing it pretty superbly and management said, "kevin, we aren't looking to replace you, we just want two guys to do be able to do the same thing." I'd still be a little wary. And then the second I call in sick, this guy performs well I'm out. I don't have my job? That would rub me the wrong way too. I'm all for Mcgahee. I think he's a stud, and I liked him when we drafted him. I didn't realize how hard it is to have two good running backs. Either we buy into this game as a team game, or we buy into it as a business. When its a business, two great guys can't be on the same team. when its a sport and team game, those two should learn to work with each other.

Henry had every chance to keep his job at the beginning of th year last year and he belw monkey chunks. Willis came in and got the job done. End of story. If Travis wants to whine about not keeping his job, he should have stepped it up last season when the job was still his.

Turf
04-29-2005, 08:29 PM
Henry had every chance to keep his job at the beginning of th year last year and he belw monkey chunks. Willis came in and got the job done. End of story. If Travis wants to whine about not keeping his job, he should have stepped it up last season when the job was still his.

Yeah now you took the words right out of my keyboard.
Where was Mighty Mouse Travis when he was stumbling over his own feet in crucial situations and when he was running head down right into the pile.
Henry lost the starting more than Willis won it. He was not only a no show, he was a detriment.
Where he is is his own fault. And I'm telling you, with the money problems this guy has, and how low his salary is, the idea of him throwing a game for $$'s is not out of the question.
Funny how nobody wants him if he's so good.

ExWNYer
05-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Sit out all year, in a contract year, lose money, and see how well you do via free agency next year.

Actually, if he sits out all year he'd still be property of the Bills. He'd need to play "x" amount of games (4 or 6?) to qualify as a free agent in '06. I'd love to see him sit out. The Bills could place him on the "Did Not Report" list and keep him from counting as a roster spot. Maybe then they could unload him at the '06 draft for a pick.