PDA

View Full Version : What I thought of the draft so far.

Sportsuser101
04-30-2005, 02:04 AM
Round 1

Best Pick: Walter Jones; 0 sacks given up, 1 penalty (false start) almost perfect last year
Sleeper: Willis McGahee; potential to be great at just 23 years old
Reach: Kevin Mawae; $10m for a center is very steep; next center didn't go til 4th round

Round 2

Best Pick: Champ Bailey; While some say overrated he's still the best corner in the league
Sleeper: Jonathon Vilma; If last year is any indication he is going to be great; yet another Miami U superstar
Reach: No real reaches here but Bulluck with the 1st pick in the 2nd is questionable

Round 3

Best Pick: Willie Roaf; an older player but a stud at LT
Sleeper: Terell Suggs; unbelievable rookie year and a solid sophmore year; just on the cusp of being great
Reach: Michael Lewis; a young probowl safety but I thought there were better safeties available

Round 4

Best Pick: Randy Moss; ok so he was hurt but he's still the best
Sleeper: Ltio Sheppard; played at a probowl level last year and a good return man
Reach: Jeff Saturday; call me a center hater but too early for 1

Round 5

Best Pick: Deuce McAllister; getting him at this point with all those RBs on the board is an absolute steal
Sleeper: Robert Gallery; will get his shot at left tackle this year and has all the makings to be the best pick of this round
Reach: Steven Jackson; really didn't like this pick with other more talented backs available

Round 6

Best Pick: Hines Ward; big time WR who doesn't get the name recognition but a big time all around WR
Sleeper: Jordan Gross; superb run blocker with a mean streak who has improved at pass blocking
Reach: Aaron Smith; good solid player but nothing special; see Shaun Ellis

Round 7

Best Pick: Casey Hampton; he was hurt last year but 1 of the top DTs in the league falls to the 7th round
Sleeper: Roy Williams; showed the potential last year of joining the upper level of wideouts
Reach: Jake Delhomme; thought it was kind of a panic pick; oh crap I need a QB lets take the guy who is slightly better or even with the other QBs; could have waited

Round 8

Best Pick: Ed Hartwell; the guy is going to show how good he is this year
Sleeper: Dunta Robinson; honorable mention to Fitzgerald but Robinson is an absolute stud at the cornerback position
Reach: Billy Volek; not a big fan of his and was in the same situation as the Delhomme pick

Round 9

Best Pick: Derrick Mason; the most consistant wideout in the game; overlooked at times
Sleeper: Mike Williams; showed the last half of last year how dominating he could be
Reach: Alex Brown; nice player but could have gotten him later on

Round 10

Best Pick: Kevin Jones; when he played he was simply brilliant; he and Willis will lead the league at RB in the future
Sleeper: Tommie Harris; very good rookie year and is playing on a very stoud defensive line in Chicago
Reach: David Barrett; decent player but before Bly, Rolle, Law, etc?

Round 11

Best Pick: Priest Holmes; yes he was hurt but he still had 13 TDs; Holmes, Jones and Green all slipped through the cracks
Sleeper: Kenechi Udeze; very good rookie year and now playing on a defensive line with the Williams', James, and Johnstone
Reach: Brad Hopkins; older tackle who is really declining; may be moved to RT

Round 12

Best Pick: Nate Burleson; should shine alongside Williamson; drafted in the 12th and then in 2 rounds following
Sleeper: Eric Steinbach: this guy is a good player who slipped through the cracks in the NFL draft and in our draft
Reach: Eli Manning; not a good rookie year but was the #1 overall pick so he must be good.. right?

Round 13

Best Pick: Jamie Sharper; the guy is a tackling machine; always around the ball
Sleeper: Ken Hamlin; was suprised he made the move to FS from SS so easily; "Hard hittin Hamlin"
Reach: Joey Harrington; before Carr and Palmer?

Round 14

Best Pick: Eric Barton; was all over the place last year; plays on a very good Jets defense
Sleeper: Ashley Lelie; breakout year last year and the best YPC in the league; big play guy finally caught on
Reach: There was a few I thought but Rueben Droughns stands out the most

Round 15

Best Pick: David Carr; the 19th best quarterback in the league? I don't think so; a steal
Sleeper: David Carr; all the makings of being a stud QB for years to come
Reach: Joey Galloway; its not even like he's young where you can take the lousy #s

Round 16

Best Pick: Anquan Boldin; sure he was hurt but he still is 1 of the best young WRs in the league; a steal
Sleeper: Carson Palmer; see David Carr
Reach: None; put a gun to my head Vincent

Round 17

Best Pick: Kennoy Kennedy; 1 of only a few very good strong safeties that were remaining at the time
Sleeper: Chris Snee; dominator in the run game and improving in the pass; honorable mention Winslow Jr
Reach: Antwan Randle El; thought it was much too early for him

Round 18

Best Pick: Daniel Graham; really like this pick; good blocker and a guy who always finds the end zone
Sleeper: Teddy Lehman; slipped through the cracks a bit; has all the potential to be a big time backer
Reach: Adam Vinateiri; he's the best kicker but alittle early for kickers

Round 19

Best Pick: Reggie Hayward; 2 good years in a row is not a fluke; just 25 years old
Sleeper: Jake Grove; nice versatility but has the potential to be the best center in the league
Reach: Boss Bailey; Probably could have waited on him and through him on your bench late

Round 20

Best Pick: Chris Gamble; very good rookie year and has the size you look for at cornerback but with the turn ability of a corner
Sleeper: Madieu Williams; very good rookie year who played well on an up and coming team
Reach: Dan Wilkinson; could have done without him

Don't kill me on this. Just posted what I thought about the draft so far after 20 rounds. Make up your own if you like.

Canadian'eh!
04-30-2005, 02:54 AM
you thought the best pick in round 1 was an OT? a 10 mill, highest paid player ont he roster OT? No doubt Walter Jones is the best.... at least right there with Ogden... but the guys is close to, if not 30 and he's an OT.

Somehow i get the feeling dropping 10 mill on a guy named Manning may have been a better move.

The King
04-30-2005, 06:14 AM
Nice Job. except for the Jackson comment~

Ebenezer
04-30-2005, 08:46 AM
wow! three best picks and a reach! I like it!

Michael82
04-30-2005, 09:30 AM
Nice comments. My pick of Barrett was a little reach, I agree. But he's the youngest one and the other CBs in your list get injured each year. I'm glad you liked my most recent picks. I was shocked that Reggie Hayward fell to me that far. He's only 25 and is going to be a damn good DE for my team. Daniel Graham was another one I was glad to snatch. He's a touchdown machine in NE and hopefully will keep that up with McNabb.

RetroRaiders81
04-30-2005, 09:48 AM
you thought the best pick in round 1 was an OT? a 10 mill, highest paid player ont he roster OT? No doubt Walter Jones is the best.... at least right there with Ogden... but the guys is close to, if not 30 and he's an OT.

Somehow i get the feeling dropping 10 mill on a guy named Manning may have been a better move.
:up:

RetroRaiders81
04-30-2005, 09:48 AM
I'm only on there with Droughns being a reach.

That Guy
04-30-2005, 10:21 AM
I have a best pick and a sleeper... works for me. I'm not sure about Walter Jones with the best pick... Manning was the best player IMO.. so he should be the best pick. Also, I felt pretty good about getting Tomlinson with the 8th pick.

Forward_Lateral
04-30-2005, 10:26 AM
I think calling McGahee a sleeper at 10 million is wrong. I thought that was a bad pick, but I knew someone would do it. I also think Evans went way to early, but again, you knew it would happen.

That Guy
04-30-2005, 10:27 AM
Oh and BTW... good job. I agree with most of it.

L.A. Playa
04-30-2005, 10:41 AM
I think calling McGahee a sleeper at 10 million is wrong. I thought that was a bad pick, but I knew someone would do it. I also think Evans went way to early, but again, you knew it would happen.

McGahee=13 TDS Ahmhan Green = 7TDS and 7 fumbles

McGahee did his damage in11 games hmmmmmmmm better pick McGahee

Evans = 9TDS Clayton=7tds Johnson=6TDS and Evans didnt start till second half of the season no reaches there

Forward_Lateral
04-30-2005, 12:06 PM
McGahee=13 TDS Ahmhan Green = 7TDS and 7 fumbles

McGahee did his damage in11 games hmmmmmmmm better pick McGahee

Evans = 9TDS Clayton=7tds Johnson=6TDS and Evans didnt start till second half of the season no reaches there

Classic Bills fan syndrome.

Ahman Green- 3 million. McGahee- 10 million. Don't forget Willis didn't play in every game either, and will likely get some sort of injury in the Sim.

As for Evans, is he good? Yes. Did he go way too early? Yes. Don't forget Clayton was a rookie last year too, and Andre Johnson was a 2nd year.

L.A. Playa
04-30-2005, 12:22 PM
Classic Bills fan syndrome.

Ahman Green- 3 million. McGahee- 10 million. Don't forget Willis didn't play in every game either, and will likely get some sort of injury in the Sim.

As for Evans, is he good? Yes. Did he go way too early? Yes. Don't forget Clayton was a rookie last year too, and Andre Johnson was a 2nd year.

Mc Gahee wasnt hurt last year and Green was, Green may go to jail this year McGahee wont just messing I dont really care, I like Mc Gahee and Evans as young weapons to go with Culpepper for years to come just was stirring the pot a little and I didnt draft them because of being Bills I drafted based on production and what was important to me production wise

L.A. Playa
04-30-2005, 12:31 PM
Mc Gahee + Culpepper + Evans = $25 Mil and 63 TDS

Green + Mexico + Clayton = $16.5Mil and 32 TDS

Double the production not double the price

Canadian'eh!
04-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Mc Gahee + Culpepper + Evans = $25 Mil and 63 TDS

Green + Mexico + Clayton = $16.5Mil and 32 TDS

Double the production not double the price

HE's not saying McGahee is a bad pick..... He;s saying it was a reach because he would have been available a few rounds later for less money. It's not about WHO you draft but WHEN and for how much.

L.A. Playa
04-30-2005, 03:09 PM
im just talking trash we will see who was a good pick where at the end of the season

L.A. Playa
04-30-2005, 03:26 PM
basically what I am saying is both Mc Gahee and Evans started only 11 games last year so take their sstats divide by 11 and multiply by 16 and tell me based on those stats where you would have chosen them

Forward_Lateral
04-30-2005, 04:17 PM
basically what I am saying is both Mc Gahee and Evans started only 11 games last year so take their sstats divide by 11 and multiply by 16 and tell me based on those stats where you would have chosen them

Yeah, and the Sim will see they only played 11 games.

Also, Green played in all 16 games last year, so not sure what you are talking about him being hurt.

L.A. Playa
04-30-2005, 04:21 PM
Yeah, and the Sim will see they only played 11 games.

Also, Green played in all 16 games last year, so not sure what you are talking about him being hurt.

That doesnt matter they wher not hurt and Green was hurt look at his game log weeks 11-13 but no biggie we all have good teams andvalued different things I may be thebig dummy but just saying them playingfor the Bills had no factor in my decision to draft them where I did

Forward_Lateral
04-30-2005, 04:27 PM
That doesnt matter they wher not hurt and Green was hurt look at his game log weeks 11-13 but no biggie we all have good teams andvalued different things I may be thebig dummy but just saying them playingfor the Bills had no factor in my decision to draft them where I did

:up: not saying you are a dummy, just saying you overpaid a bit, but it's not like you overpaid for crappy players, so it's not so bad. I just didn't think Willis was a sleeper. Everyone here knows about him.

L.A. Playa
04-30-2005, 04:42 PM
technically there are no sleepers and I know ya werent saying im a dummy I had a formula from the begining and after I saw my position it was based on drafting either Manning/Culppepper or Mc Nabb and Tomlinson or Mc Gahee on the same team I got Culpepper and Tomlinson was gone so took a big risk on getting Mc Gahee I didnt realize how much the other owners would value OL and Defense or I would have otherwise probably not traded up but we will never know if I shouldnt have because I did

Devin
04-30-2005, 06:07 PM

Agree completley. 2 of my picks were up there. Over all i love the analysis. I agree with about 95% of it. While Sportsuser101 and I put value in different areas he pretty much hit the nail on the head with most of that.

Well done dude.

DraftBoy
04-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Everyone of my OL picks is a sleeper so far...lol, and the Boss pick was a big reach but next season you will all see what he can do.

Canadian'eh!
04-30-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm surprised you thought Randle El was a bigger reach than Winslow.

Randle El has been a very good #3 Wr for the Steeleres for a coupleyears and I expect that he will have a big year not that Plax is gone and he will be the fulltime #2. Aside from his WR skills there are not amny other player than also can be your top KR and PR.....

Winslow amy be a reach for now... but he won't be next year. If i had a bunch of 1Mill picks i would have waited but i don't have any pics in rounds 20-22

Sportsuser101
04-30-2005, 07:45 PM
I'm not sure if sleeper is the right word. Its more like the best young and up and coming player. A guy that has a world of talent who has or is just about to explode onto the scene. I did it for every round even the 1st couple rounds which there really aren't that many "sleepers".

As far as McGahee being a reach I think Mawae was a bigger reach. Mawae is probably the best at his position but its 1 of the least valuable positions on the football. He also is getting up there in age. McGahee did have 1000 yards and 13 TDs in only 11 starts. Pretty damn good. Factor that and that he is 23 and I couldn't give the reach to him.

Walter Jones pick; I think he is far away the best LT in the league. Peyton Manning is the best QB but it all depends on what you think is more valuable. A stud LT or a stud QB. I'd take the stud LT every time. I just think (similar to fantasy football) QBs are a dime a dozen and in the right system any QB can succeed.

The Winslow/Randle El debate; I looked at a few things on this because I admit it was close. I looked at Randle El being a #3 WR on the Steelers but there were still #1/#2 WRs on the board. I also looked at Crumpler. Crumpler will be starting for the team that took Winslow so its no loss to him if Winslow gets no stats. Age, potential and positional circumstances were the reasons why I didn't call Winslow a reach over Randle El.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm sure like most of you during the draft you were thinking man that was a steal.. man that was a reach.. what a sleeper this guy is, etc. So I decided to put it on paper.

Michael82
05-01-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm not sure if sleeper is the right word. Its more like the best young and up and coming player. A guy that has a world of talent who has or is just about to explode onto the scene. I did it for every round even the 1st couple rounds which there really aren't that many "sleepers".

As far as McGahee being a reach I think Mawae was a bigger reach. Mawae is probably the best at his position but its 1 of the least valuable positions on the football. He also is getting up there in age. McGahee did have 1000 yards and 13 TDs in only 11 starts. Pretty damn good. Factor that and that he is 23 and I couldn't give the reach to him.

Walter Jones pick; I think he is far away the best LT in the league. Peyton Manning is the best QB but it all depends on what you think is more valuable. A stud LT or a stud QB. I'd take the stud LT every time. I just think (similar to fantasy football) QBs are a dime a dozen and in the right system any QB can succeed.

The Winslow/Randle El debate; I looked at a few things on this because I admit it was close. I looked at Randle El being a #3 WR on the Steelers but there were still #1/#2 WRs on the board. I also looked at Crumpler. Crumpler will be starting for the team that took Winslow so its no loss to him if Winslow gets no stats. Age, potential and positional circumstances were the reasons why I didn't call Winslow a reach over Randle El.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm sure like most of you during the draft you were thinking man that was a steal.. man that was a reach.. what a sleeper this guy is, etc. So I decided to put it on paper.
You better make another list for the next 20 rounds. :up:

ryjam282
05-02-2005, 05:15 PM
Great, I had 3 of the Best Picks....Thanks...

L.A. Playa
05-02-2005, 06:48 PM
great job sportsuser you must have had insomnia Friday night LOL

Sportsuser101
05-02-2005, 08:03 PM
great job sportsuser you must have had insomnia Friday night LOL
Thanks. Nope was waiting for my ex to get off work. Had to find a way to keep myself awake.

Michael82
05-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Thanks. Nope was waiting for my ex to get off work. Had to find a way to keep myself awake.
You better do the same thing this Friday night. :mad: