PDA

View Full Version : Bills' second-round pick getting rave reviews

Dozerdog
05-01-2005, 08:06 AM
By BOB DICESARE

I have seen the future and it's electric. It's a short throw turned into a long, frenetic touchdown jaunt that leaves mouths agape. It's a punt return low on potential that concludes with an improbable end zone celebration. There's fast and there's quick and then there's Roscoe Parrish, who's so far ahead of the game he could make hay before the harvest.
You'd have thought there'd be no immediate impact players left by the time the Buffalo Bills drafted last Saturday, no one who could demand opponents account for his presence on every single play. How do you get someone that explosive at 55th overall unless you've stowed him in a cave?

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050501/1073713.asp

Jayhawk
05-01-2005, 08:12 AM
good stuff.

tampabay25690
05-01-2005, 09:02 AM
But everyone was so mad we picked him!!!!!

BillsFanInMass
05-01-2005, 09:09 AM
I wasnt mad i love the pick we dont need OL as much with Losman as our Qb.

buffmaniac
05-01-2005, 09:17 AM
Reading that article gets me pumped for the season. This offense is going to by very explosive.

Captain gameboy
05-01-2005, 09:18 AM
If this guy reaches 75% of the implied talent and obvious enthusiasm of this report, I will be extremely happy with this pick.
Last year I used to sit up a little higher while we were returning punts.
This year I may stand for all of them.

See if other ST coaches Belichick out and stick every punt out of bounds by game three.

Jan Reimers
05-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Great stuff, but it's really too early to get too high - or low - about any player or position.

This board is really funny, though. We go from hate to love in the blink of a minicamp report.

jamze132
05-01-2005, 10:00 AM
I for one was really shocked when I saw his name go across ESPNs draft ticker. My first thought was "WTF????" But then when I remembered watching Parish beat my beloved Gators in the Peach Bowl with a 70+ yard punt return, I kind of got a smile. I have watched this guy for a couple of years now and he is fast, fast, fast! And very elusive too. I think we are going to be very happy with this pick. I see him taking over punt return duties and sharing kick returns with McGee.

cordog
05-01-2005, 10:47 AM
I for one was really shocked when I saw his name go across ESPNs draft ticker. My first thought was "WTF????" But then when I remembered watching Parish beat my beloved Gators in the Peach Bowl with a 70+ yard punt return, I kind of got a smile. I have watched this guy for a couple of years now and he is fast, fast, fast! And very elusive too. I think we are going to be very happy with this pick. I see him taking over punt return duties and sharing kick returns with McGee.

It doesnt matter. TD made the wrong pick. We should have taken an OL even though the Bills did not have one graded near 55. :rolleyes:

McBFLO
05-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Reading that article gets me pumped for the season. This offense is going to by very explosive.
It certainly could be. Our offense has gotten a lot faster. Drew's gone, not to mention JP has got some wheels, Lee, Roscoe, Willis, Moulds, Euhus/Everett are pretty fast for TEs (I think anyways). Combine that with Mularkey's creative play-calling and you've got a pretty explosive offense. The only question is how long it takes for them to gel. Could and should be a very exciting year!

Sportsuser101
05-01-2005, 10:52 AM
Get your Roscoe jerseys now.

Dozerdog
05-01-2005, 11:32 AM
It doesnt matter. TD made the wrong pick. We should have taken an OL even though the Bills did not have one graded near 55. :rolleyes:
Great strategy- keep drafting guys a round or two ahead of their talent level out of need.

We need more 4th rounders with our 2nd round pick. Then you end up with a roster filled with reaches and busts

Iehoshua
05-01-2005, 11:56 AM
But everyone was so mad we picked him!!!!!
Everyone gets mad regardless of who is picked.

djjimkelly
05-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Great strategy- keep drafting guys a round or two ahead of their talent level out of need.

We need more 4th rounders with our 2nd round pick. Then you end up with a roster filled with reaches and busts

i couldnt have said it better myself! i loved both the 2nd and 3rd round picks its about time we start scoring with the o not the d and if offensive particularly wr and TE where best available that is right move!

:posrep:

ShadowHawk7
05-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Now all we have to do is to cross our fingers that Gandy will be a good starter at LT, and we should have an offense to contend with again. :drool:

TigerJ
05-01-2005, 01:01 PM

GMs who draft solely based on need and reach to do so are GMs of losing teams.

Mr. Cynical
05-01-2005, 02:13 PM
GMs who draft solely based on need and reach to do so are GMs of losing teams.True.....but TD has had only one winning season in his last 6 years as a GM (4 here, 2 in Pitt) and is 26-38 overall as Bills' GM.

I'm happy Roscoe is getting such great press at minicamp, but like Jan said, I'm not getting too high - or too low - just yet. I know he is tough, but he has never played in the NFL and being 168 could be an issue if/when he takes a massive hit.

frank74
05-01-2005, 07:29 PM
True.....but TD has had only one winning season in his last 6 years as a GM (4 here, 2 in Pitt) and is 26-38 overall as Bills' GM.

I'm happy Roscoe is getting such great press at minicamp, but like Jan said, I'm not getting too high - or too low - just yet. I know he is tough, but he has never played in the NFL and being 168 could be an issue if/when he takes a massive hit. i agree. i'm happy they have good things to say, but they haven't even put pads on yet.

Bling
05-01-2005, 08:57 PM
I've never seen a coach rave about a rookie... Congrats to Roscoe!

Tatonka
05-01-2005, 09:50 PM
i am still scared that dante hall is the same height but more than 20 pounds heavier.. because hall is one of the smallest people i have seen on the field.

STAMPY
05-01-2005, 09:59 PM

this is the dumbest thing i ever read

cordog
05-01-2005, 10:53 PM
this is the dumbest thing i ever read

i guess some people arent as quick as others when it comes to sarcasm.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-02-2005, 04:27 AM
I will admit that I had hoped that the Bills would take an O-lineman sooner than they did and was shocked when they picked R.Parrish. But, then, I remembered seeing him kill UVa, Louisville and Florida and I calmed down. Based on what I had seen him do in those games and others, I expected him to end up being our primary PR, but I'm a little surprised that the coaches have already given him that job so soon!

The thing that struck me in the reports from the mini-camp was the way that he was catching the ball. That's a great sign! The biggest weakness in his game--other than his size--has been that he sometimes catches the ball a little too close to his body and has dropped some balls he should have caught with better technique. It sounds like he's been working on that.

If he can catch the ball consistently, Parrish is going to be a weapon that will be a lot of fun to watch because he's got the speed and elusiveness to go the distance anytime he gets his hands on the ball. I wouldn't sit down if he's about to get the ball in his hands!

The_Philster
05-02-2005, 05:11 AM
i guess some people arent as quick as others when it comes to sarcasm.

You would've figured the :rolleyes: smilie would've erased all doubt as to your intent :laughter:

cordog
05-02-2005, 10:50 AM
You would've figured the :rolleyes: smilie would've erased all doubt as to your intent :laughter:

Thats the whole reason i put the :rolleyes: smilie in there. I guess we need a sarcasm button or something for Stampy

dannyek71
05-02-2005, 05:07 PM
i hope he will do great. Wait until pads are put on before we grade him. Speed is not everything, remember A. Brown?

Jan Reimers
05-02-2005, 05:21 PM
i hope he will do great. Wait until pads are put on before we grade him. Speed is not everything, remember A. Brown?
Antonio Brown had no football skills and no football instincts. Parrish is a very accomplished receiver and returner. There is no comparison.

Bling
05-02-2005, 05:48 PM

His images might not load that quick, Philster.

Bad attempt at sarcasm, btw.

cordog
05-02-2005, 06:26 PM
His images might not load that quick, Philster.

Bad attempt at sarcasm, btw.

I guess your one of the ones that dont catch on as quick as others. BTW, if his images dont load quick, it still says rolleyes.

BillsNick
05-02-2005, 07:18 PM
overall, i liked the draft, friggin dumb luck about everett going down though.

Voltron
05-03-2005, 08:31 AM
TD is not the only GM that drafts with the best pick philosophy. About half of the NFL GMs will draft the best player on their board regardless of needs. You can always trade people and picks after the fact. This is not a new idea people!

DraftBoy
05-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Antonio Brown had no football skills and no football instincts. Parrish is a very accomplished receiver and returner. There is no comparison.

That is completely untrue Jan he was a very scary receiver at WVU, and I believe holds some of their receiving records.

dannyek71
05-03-2005, 08:58 AM
I was not camparing him skillwise to Brown, but I was just pointing out that no matter how fast parrish is, it does not make him a great fball player.

Anyone that has played football will tell you that you cannot judge someone until contact drills begin. Until then, I will judge no-one.

Ed
05-03-2005, 04:16 PM
i am still scared that dante hall is the same height but more than 20 pounds heavier.. because hall is one of the smallest people i have seen on the field.
Marvin Harrison is listed at 175 making him only 7 lbs heavier and I don't think anyone would mind having Harrison on their team. I don't think the guy has missed a game in the last 6 years.

BuffaloRanger
05-04-2005, 05:28 PM
TD is not the only GM that drafts with the best pick philosophy. About half of the NFL GMs will draft the best player on their board regardless of needs. You can always trade people and picks after the fact. This is not a new idea people!

It's great that Parrish is impressing reporters/coaches. Maybe we can put him and McGee back on Kickoffs and him and Smith back on Punt returns.

But the best player available technique is fundamentally flawed! Are the Bills going to pick a RB or QB every year?

TDin 2006: "Well we don't need a QB, and we have lots of other needs, but since he's the best player available... QB in the 1st round! Anything else would be drafting for need. And we can't do that."

Why not draft the best player available at a need position? Then you don't end up taking WRs with your first pick every year.

The board is divided between those that think McNally will make this line OK for not just JP but also for WM (no more first hits 2 yds behind the LOS), and those that are praying TD picks up somebody at June 1st cuts, but we know that won't happen.

But I'm sure Holcomb and then Matthews will enjoy trying to find Parrish behind a crumbling Oline.

frank74
05-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Marvin Harrison is listed at 175 making him only 7 lbs heavier and I don't think anyone would mind having Harrison on their team. I don't think the guy has missed a game in the last 6 years.
i totally agree with you on harrison, but remember, harrison is 6 feet tall whereas parrish is 5'9". only time will tell.