PDA

View Full Version : So...

Crisis
05-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Right now we have 6 WRs who have a reasonable shot at the roster. They are - (1) Moulds, (2) Evans, (3) Parrish, (4) Reed, (5) Aiken, (6) Smith. Moulds, Evans and Parrish are all shoe-ins. Smith will be on the roster for trick-plays and occassional PR duties. Reed and Aiken are the toss-ups. Reed has amounted to almost nothing, but Aiken has amounted to nothing at all.

Reed IMO has more potential and has atleast given glimpses in game action to what he can do. If we can get his head straightened out he could be a good potential #2 WR. Aiken has never impressed me at all, I wouldn't be suprised to see him gone.

DraftBoy
05-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Aiken is gone no question about it but Fast Freddie may be gone too if he doesnt show us something during TC bc one of our UDFA's could steal a spot

Dozerdog
05-01-2005, 12:35 PM
My guess is that all six will make it.... If injuries don't factor in
I can see them going with only 1 true Fullback on the roster.

The depth chart-

Moulds
Evans
Parrish
Reed
Aiken
Fast Freddie

Let's not forget that some of these guys might not be around in 2006 either as cap casualties or lost in free agency

Crisis
05-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Aiken is gone no question about it but Fast Freddie may be gone too if he doesnt show us something during TC bc one of our UDFA's could steal a spot

I think Mularkey likes using F. Smith for his trick plays too much to let him go. He has a great knack for breaking tackles and decent speed.

DraftBoy
05-01-2005, 12:38 PM
I think Mularkey likes using F. Smith for his trick plays too much to let him go. He has a great knack for breaking tackles and decent speed.

Parrish is a better player for that esp since he was a HS QB, so when he is out there teams will be less suspicious of a trick play bc he is a good WR too. Whenever Fast Freddie was out there teams looked for him and tried to keep a guy on him. Parrish makes much more sense in this role, imo.

Scumbag College
05-01-2005, 01:25 PM
I think Aiken is out. I'd like to see a few times a game the Bills throw 5 WRs out on the field (Moulds, Evans, Reed, Parrish, and Fast Freddy) and have teams try to defend it. The Patriots due it pretty often, and they're pretty good.

jpdex12
05-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Right now we have 6 WRs who have a reasonable shot at the roster. They are - (1) Moulds, (2) Evans, (3) Parrish, (4) Reed, (5) Aiken, (6) Smith. Moulds, Evans and Parrish are all shoe-ins. Smith will be on the roster for trick-plays and occassional PR duties. Reed and Aiken are the toss-ups. Reed has amounted to almost nothing, but Aiken has amounted to nothing at all.

Reed IMO has more potential and has atleast given glimpses in game action to what he can do. If we can get his head straightened out he could be a good potential #2 WR. Aiken has never impressed me at all, I wouldn't be suprised to see him gone.
Aiken is a practice squader!

The_Philster
05-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Aiken is a practice squader!

Why do people think you can put just anyone on the practice squad? For one thing, he's been in the league for 2 years already...and even if that rule weren't in place, he was in 5 games in 2003 and 16 in 2004...far over the 6 game max

John Doe
05-01-2005, 02:05 PM
With a healthy Kevin Everett, I don't see the need to keep six wide receivers. There has already been talk by the coaches of lining him up split wide.

Not-so-fast Freddie Smith is expendable.

Michael82
05-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Something tells me that Sam Aiken will stay in Buffalo. They are grooming him to take over for Moulds. He's the perfect match 6'2, 204 lbs. Moulds is 6'2, 210 lbs. Every other receiver on the team is 5'10 or shorter. Josh Reed, Lee Evans and Freddie Smith are all 5'10. Roscoe Parrish is 5'9. We need size and if you look at Aiken in person, he's huge. He looks like Moulds with his arms and the rest of his body. So, because Smith and Evans are identical (5'10 and both around 195 lbs)....I see Smith being released.

WR Eric Moulds
WR Lee Evans
WR Roscoe Parrish (Slot receiver)
WR Josh Reed (his last year to step it up or he's gone)
WR Sam Aiken (I could see him challenging Reed for #4)

BAM
05-01-2005, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see J.R. get the pink slip.

Can't say I'd mind it at all either.

He's had enough time to prove himself.

ShadowHawk7
05-01-2005, 03:05 PM
I think our backs and WRs will look like this:

RB: McGahee, A-Train, Williams
FB: Shelton
PSed: Gates
Cut: Burns

Note: If we don't sign A-Train, Gates is on the active roster as a RB/FB.

TE: Campbell, Euhus, Everett

Note: Nuefeld makes it if either Campbell AND Euhus don't return to full health, or if Coy Wire is cut, AND we only keep 3 backup Olinemen.

WR 1: Moulds, Parrish, Reed

WR 2: Evans, Aiken, Smith

I think Aiken is continuing to develop and will develop some chemisty w/ JP. We need a big guy other than Moulds. Smith is a borderline cut, if he doesn't have a good preseason.

THoughts or comments?

John Doe
05-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Something tells me that Sam Aiken will stay in Buffalo. They are grooming him to take over for Moulds. He's the perfect match 6'2, 204 lbs. Moulds is 6'2, 210 lbs. Every other receiver on the team is 5'10 or shorter. Josh Reed, Lee Evans and Freddie Smith are all 5'10. Roscoe Parrish is 5'9. We need size and if you look at Aiken in person, he's huge. He looks like Moulds with his arms and the rest of his body. So, because Smith and Evans are identical (5'10 and both around 195 lbs)....I see Smith being released.

WR Eric Moulds
WR Lee Evans

Sounds right to me.

justasportsfan
05-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Parrish is a better player for that esp since he was a HS QB, so when he is out there teams will be less suspicious of a trick play bc he is a good WR too. Whenever Fast Freddie was out there teams looked for him and tried to keep a guy on him. Parrish makes much more sense in this role, imo.I say Mularkey sticks w/ speed. He keeps both Fast Freddie and Parrish. One goes down, we won't lose any speed both on O and Special teams since, they both are good st players.

The_Philster
05-01-2005, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see J.R. get the pink slip.

Can't say I'd mind it at all either.

He's had enough time to prove himself.

Ditto...I've been saying all offseason that there's a good chance he's in the final round of cuts...maybe even in the first round of cuts.

helmetguy
05-01-2005, 05:08 PM
I still think you may see Henry and Reed packaged for either picks in next year's draft or an appealing OT (yet unknown) who may be offered up.

socalfan
05-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Watching the Bill's draft brings to mind two points. Because of the rule changes that prohibit defense backs from touching the receivers after 5 yards, you no longer need big strong wideouts to battle for the ball. In the last two drafts, Buffalo has gone for the faster and quicker wideouts and defense backs. My thinking is that both Aiken and Reed will be gone.

Jayhawk
05-01-2005, 05:36 PM
for me it's between Aiken or Reed.

Jan Reimers
05-01-2005, 06:06 PM

WR Eric Moulds
WR Lee Evans
I think you're right, Mikey. Parrish should be a better punt returner and trick play guy than Fast Freddie, who is the least accomplished receiver in the group.

Billsouth
05-01-2005, 07:47 PM
aiken has played well when given the chance. he also has pretty very well on specials. i dont see him getting cut especially since reed is in his last year of his contract. i say neufeld is cut as is shaud williams which would allow us to keep an extra wr

Jeff1220
05-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Hmmm. I think this short, but quick&fast WR thing has had some success somewhere....

83 Deion Branch WR 5-9 193
86 Tim Dwight WR 5-8 180
87 David Givens WR 6-0 212
81 Bethel Johnson WR 5-11 200

The Natrix
05-01-2005, 09:58 PM
I think they had patience in mind when they drafted Aiken, so I don't see him being cut after two seasons with a very low cap number. A 4th rounder is to late a pick to expect big things immediately but to early of a pick to give up on so fast. Reed also has a cheap cap hit, and I could see him having a good contact season. Freddie Smith looks expendable to me.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-02-2005, 04:12 AM

WR Eric Moulds
WR Lee Evans
I also agree with this analysis. Parrish makes Fast Freddy Smith redundant because he brings the same things to the table and is better. The only way that I can see Smith making the team is if J.Reed is packaged in a deal (something that I have been thinking might be possible) or Reed continues to be a pass-dropping flop in the preseason and the team decides to cut its losses on him (which could happen). I think the Bills will give Reed every chance to make the team because the new pass defense rules and his ability to run after the catch would make him dangerous in 4 receiver sets with Moulds, Evans and Parrish--if he can hold onto the ball. I also feel that they want to give Aiken a chance to show if he can step in for Moulds if they need him to do so. I think that it is going to take an outstanding performance in TC for a UDFA to have a shot at making the team, even with the Bills facing the possibility of losing Moulds and Reed at the end of the season.

Michael82
05-02-2005, 08:16 AM
I still think you may see Henry and Reed packaged for either picks in next year's draft or an appealing OT (yet unknown) who may be offered up.
That would be an interesting trade scenario to Philadelphia. They could use both right now.

Michael82
05-02-2005, 08:19 AM
I think you're right, Mikey. Parrish should be a better punt returner and trick play guy than Fast Freddie, who is the least accomplished receiver in the group.
Exactly. But they could always decide to keep Smith and dump Reed. Either way, I see them finding a way to keep Aiken on the roster. He was solid on ST last year and IMO just needs a chance to show his stuff and he will impress. I'm really high on him.

Michael82
05-02-2005, 08:20 AM
aiken has played well when given the chance. he also has pretty very well on specials. i dont see him getting cut especially since reed is in his last year of his contract. i say neufeld is cut as is shaud williams which would allow us to keep an extra wr
Good post, but I think Shaud will stay on as the 3rd down back.

Michael82
05-02-2005, 08:21 AM
I also agree with this analysis. Parrish makes Fast Freddy Smith redundant because he brings the same things to the table and is better. The only way that I can see Smith making the team is if J.Reed is packaged in a deal (something that I have been thinking might be possible) or Reed continues to be a pass-dropping flop in the preseason and the team decides to cut its losses on him (which could happen). I think the Bills will give Reed every chance to make the team because the new pass defense rules and his ability to run after the catch would make him dangerous in 4 receiver sets with Moulds, Evans and Parrish--if he can hold onto the ball. I also feel that they want to give Aiken a chance to show if he can step in for Moulds if they need him to do so. I think that it is going to take an outstanding performance in TC for a UDFA to have a shot at making the team, even with the Bills facing the possibility of losing Moulds and Reed at the end of the season.

Good post. I agree with everything you said. :clap:

Bulldog
05-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Despite having the name "Fast Freddy", Smith is anything but fast. They talked about it last year. He's probably the slowest WR on the roster. I think either he or Reed will be cut.

Gunzlingr
05-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Football Guys said that they think Reed will get shown the door.

Meathead
05-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Josh Reed - The Bills' Comeback Player of the Year