PDA

View Full Version : Mike Willimas in great shape

ddaryl
05-01-2005, 03:33 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/fullstory.php?id=0823

Mike Mularkey says he'll go over all the practices on film before he decides how to move forward on the offensive line. All weekend long the starters were Mike Gandy, Bennie Anderson, Trey Teague, Chris Villarrial and the slimed down Mike Williams. His gut is almost gone and Mularkey says his RT spent much of the off season working with strength and conditioning coach Brad Roll.

Looks like Mike has been working all offseason and has been working some at the Bills facilities this offseason

mysticsoto
05-01-2005, 04:09 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/fullstory.php?id=0823

Looks like Mike has been working all offseason and has been working some at the Bills facilities this offseason
I have to say I'm impressed. I thought Mike was going to become a lazy dud, but he's starting to come around the corner. If he's faster than what he was, he might just be a future candidate for LT - although if we are doing fine there, maybe we won't need him. Whether we do or don't, this is still great news!!!

juice
05-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Big Mike :bf1:

AndreReed83
05-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Think Losman's work ethic is rubbing off any??

ghz in pittsburgh
05-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Wow Losman cannot get hooked with Moulds, merely the best player of the Bills. Which capable NFL QB could not throw balls to Moulds?

wchutalkinboutwillis
05-01-2005, 08:19 PM
I have to say I'm impressed. I thought Mike was going to become a lazy dud, but he's starting to come around the corner. If he's faster than what he was, he might just be a future candidate for LT - although if we are doing fine there, maybe we won't need him. Whether we do or don't, this is still great news!!!
Big Mike has had a lot of pressure on him, and with the exception of some absentism during last year's training camp, he's handled it pretty well. It's always been said that O-linemen are generally slow developers and from what I understand, this is due to a number of reasons. I personally think that Williams has developed quite well and I would bet on a big spike in his performance this season. I think his contract is up in '06?? I predict he'll be commanding OPace/Ogden numbers by that point. As a side note, I was at the Bills/Jets game at The Ralph last year when he went down motionless. I can honestly say that I've never heard that stadium so quiet.(including the Comeback game) Based on what I saw, I was convinced his career was over. Thank God he was walking around the next day and back to consuming the required 8,000 calories.

G. Host
05-01-2005, 08:26 PM
Mike Williams heard that I bought his jersey (only 3rd jersey I have bought). I did not buy his actual jersey for if I did you would be saying "He lost a lot of fat and muscle" or "the equipment manager ought to be fired for providing him a jersey that small."

Tatonka
05-01-2005, 09:13 PM
i wish we would just go ahead and extend williams contract now to lower his number and lock him up long term

thebuffalobills4
05-01-2005, 09:30 PM
QUOTE=ddaryl]http://www.wgr550.com/fullstory.php?id=0823

Looks like Mike has been working all offseason and has been working some at the Bills facilities this offseason[/QUOTE] :goodpost: glad to see big mike in shape.

wchutalkinboutwillis
05-01-2005, 09:45 PM
i wish we would just go ahead and extend williams contract now to lower his number and lock him up long term
I hear ya and now is the time to do it. Especially if your an egotistical gamblin' man like TD. He drafted the guy. He watches, realizes, and appreciates his upside potential a helluva lot more than we do (understatement). Why don't we lock him in for antoher 5 yrs before it's too late? Given the timing with the CBA, he's a prime candidate to set an example. Assist the effort to transform "The Cap" and change the way that player contracts are approached. And guess what? TD's one of the only guys that has the balls to do it.
As well as Tagliabue has run this league, change is inevitable. I'm confident he'll handle it well.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-02-2005, 03:43 AM
Think Losman's work ethic is rubbing off any??
I think that it will and it already has--and not just with Big Mike. According to all of the reports, T.Henry and S.Mathews were the only Bills players who were not in town for the rookie mini-camp, even though some of them were held out by the coaches, and quite a lot of the players have been working out in Buffalo even before this. I think when the guys on the team look at how hard JP is working, they are not only going to have a lot of respect for him, but be motivated to work harder themselves.

With M.Williams, though, I think his transformation began once he got his butt into training camp last year and began working with McNally. I don't kow what their relationship is like, but Big Mike seems to have made more improvement since then than he did in his entire pro career prior to that. It's as if he has found someone that he likes (or at least respects) and wants to work hard for. And, for Bills fans, that's great to see because the team needs him to become the kind of 10-15 year fixture on the offensive line--even if it's on the right side and not the left--that he was expected to become.

If he shows in training camp that his improvement last season was not a short-term thing and that he is ready to take his game to the next level, I would agree that they should try to extend his contract in a way that will compensate him well for a RT, but won't put the team in salary cap hell in the future--which is something that wouldn't be impossible to do at this stage.

ddaryl
05-02-2005, 09:18 AM
If he shows in training camp that his improvement last season was not a short-term thing and that he is ready to take his game to the next level, I would agree that they should try to extend his contract in a way that will compensate him well for a RT, but won't put the team in salary cap hell in the future--which is something that wouldn't be impossible to do at this stage.
Kind of what I've been saying as well. The Bills won't retrucuture or extend MW contract until they are convinced that last years offseason fiasco won't happen again, and his dedication is worth the investment.

By not extending or restructuring MW's contract they make it easier to cut ties with him. However if his performance jumps up another notch they'll lock him up for a few more and free up cap space for next season.

ShadowHawk7
05-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Has anyone else already heard rumors of renogotiations of MW? Great news though.

jamze132
05-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if Williams actually performed the way he gets paid? The guy made awesome progress last year and I hope he continues to get better. I think he has all the tools to play in many pro bowls. And in turn, he should be paid like it. But until he proves that he can play at that level for 16 games, his contract should be reconstructed and extended. I would like to see smaller base salaries with larger performance bonuses. I feel that you should be paid for what you do, not what your potential may be. Donahoe really screwed up that contract and I doubt it will happen to any other Bills in the future. I am a big believer in performance bonuses. You wanna get paid like a pro bowler? Play like one. Of course people will argue that the player has to have guaranteed money just incase he gets hurt, that a bunch of BS IMO. You play, you get paid, it's that simple. But I live in a fantasy world

Charlieguide
05-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Cieslak was excused from the end of camp rookie sprints in front of the team for obvious reasons.
I don't get it . . . can anyone explain the 'obvious' to me?

Tatonka
05-02-2005, 08:21 PM
because he was overworked?

ddaryl
05-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Because he is one of the few TE's on the orster with healthy knees probably. They weren't going to take any chances

Charlieguide
05-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Because he is one of the few TE's on the orster with healthy knees probably. They weren't going to take any chances
nah. another TE ran sprints, and that's hardly a high-risk workout.

Tom D
05-02-2005, 09:58 PM
I think after the conditioning drills, he was excused from running any plays/possible contact since he's the only healthy one left. That's how I read it

AndreReed83
05-02-2005, 10:18 PM
I saw that same quote in another article. He was excused because he spent all day running plays on the first or second team offense and got way more work in then most of the other rookies. The sprints at the end were just for rookies only in front of the entire team, but Cieslak worked much more then any of the other rookies. He got rewarded.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-03-2005, 12:58 AM
I saw that same quote in another article. He was excused because he spent all day running plays on the first or second team offense and got way more work in then most of the other rookies. The sprints at the end were just for rookies only in front of the entire team, but Cieslak worked much more then any of the other rookies. He got rewarded.
I read the same thing. Also, apparently MM was pleased with the effort that he gave while running all of those plays and thought he deserved to be rewarded. Sounds like the kid made a good impression on the coach--which is precisely what a UDFA has to do when he comes into his first mini-camp. Good for him and good for MM for showing the rookies and everyone else that he is willing to reward effort like that.