PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre lays the wood...

Tatonka
05-03-2005, 11:23 PM
he tells it like it is.. that is why i love this guy and from what i have seen, attitude wise, from JP.. i hope he will end up the same type of leader for this team.

check this out.

1. Green Bay's Favre: We Can Win Without WR Walker

Full Article: http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_20876863.shtml

Clipped from: PackersNews.com article by Chris Havel, 5/3/05

"If Javon wants to know what his quarterback thinks, and I would think
he might, I'd tell him he's going about this the wrong way," Favre
said. "When his agent tells him not to worry about what his teammates
think and all that stuff, I'd tell him I've been around a long time
and that stuff will come back to haunt you.".

."Javon has tremendous potential. We got to see some of that last
year. The sky's the limit for that guy, and I'd be the first to defend
him, but he's going about it the wrong way. What happened to honoring
your contract and saying, 'Let's work as a team to see if we can get
this done?' Why not go about it that way?

"Maybe I'm old-school, but I always thought you honor a contract.
Sure, sometimes guys pass you up in salary, and maybe it's a lesser
player, but it's all based on what a team has as far as value in that
person."

Favre left no doubt as to how he thinks the Packers should handle the
situation.

"I sure hope the Packers don't give in to him," he said. "I don't sit
up in the front office, and I don't talk to them - regardless of what
people might think - and tell them who to draft and who not to draft.
They don't ask me, and it's not my job. My job is to throw passes and
be a leader.

"That's why I decided to speak up. I need to be a leader and even
though I may not like having to do it, I think some things needed to
be said."

Favre was excused from the team's post-NFL draft minicamp. He heard of
Walker's decision to hold out on Thursday evening. He said Walker
might be wise to go to General Manager Ted Thompson directly and try
to work out a new deal.

"Whatever happened to buying into the team concept?" he said. "If
Javon does what he's supposed to do, and what he is paid a lot of
money to do, he's paid to go to the Pro Bowl. He wasn't complaining
two years ago, and until you do go (to the Pro Bowl), you don't even
think twice about what they're paying you."

If Walker's stance doesn't change, Favre said, "I'd just as soon go
without him. He's a great player. I think he can help us. He's
likeable and easy to get along with, but I'm guessing he's getting the
wrong advice, and he's buying into that.

"I just don't see much good that can come from it. If it gets time for
the start of training camp and he's not in, I think it'll start
bothering him, and he'll be here. But once again, nothing should
surprise you.

"We've got guys who'll give great effort. Stars are made that way.
Look what happened when Sterling left. Robert Brooks stepped up. We
can win without him."

[[[[[[[[[[ OUR VIEW ]]]]]]]]]]

Favre left no doubt about what he thinks of Javon Walker's holdout.
It's got to be a blow to Walker's ego to hear Favre say "We can win
without him". Favre's point about Walker getting bad advice from his
agent is an interesting angle. Drew Rosenhaus has six of his over 90
clients holding out or threatening to hold out in order to renegotiate
contracts this year. For you guys that like to know everything, here's
an interesting piece on Rosenhaus
http://cfserv.dickinson.edu/dickinsonian/detail.cfm?1083

SabreEleven
05-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Moulds should say the same thing about Henry

Charlieguide
05-04-2005, 01:23 AM
I hate Rosenhaus. He got Willis drafted, and that's great, but he's slime. He's done more than his share to open the rift between Travis Henry and the Bills, where we might otherwise have two content, capable backs.

I hope Walker takes Favre's advice. He's a great player, but someone needs to set an example.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-04-2005, 02:48 AM
I think that what Favre had to say is a reflection of the attitude that has helped to make him such a great player and team leader over the course of his career. This is the kind of "no-win" situation that a lot of "leaders" would shy away from and you have to give the man his "props" for being willing to step up and take a strong position, even though it could "boomerang" on him. I admire that in a man and Favre has gone up in my estimation as a result.

ExWNYer
05-04-2005, 05:59 AM
I hate Rosenhaus. He got Willis drafted, and that's great, but he's slime. He's done more than his share to open the rift between Travis Henry and the Bills, where we might otherwise have two content, capable backs.

I hope Walker takes Favre's advice. He's a great player, but someone needs to set an example.

I can't argue your point on Rosenhaus. I've wondered for some time now when he's going to get in WM's ear and have him holdout. Maybe after this year when WM has flown solo as the starting tailback?
As far as Favre goes, good for him. As the undisputed leader on that team he should let Walker know the mistake that he's (JW) potentially making.

Cntrygal
05-04-2005, 08:37 AM
GREAT statement by Favre!!!!

:10:

Mr. Miyagi
05-04-2005, 08:44 AM
He's the man. :bf1:

RedEyE
05-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Rosenhaus...there is a special place in hell for the POS.

Mr. Miyagi
05-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Rosenhaus...there is a special place in hell for the POS.
Yup, right next to Johnny Cochron.

Voltron
05-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Favre is and always will be my favorite non Bill player of all time. :up:

I have said it before but this guy just spews class out of ever pore of his body. He is the blue collar football player that you just don't see much of anymore. If JP ends up being 1/10th the QB Favre is we will be very lucky!

Michael82
05-04-2005, 10:54 AM
I say that the NFL should band together against this. What's the point of signing rookie contracts and even regular players to contracts if they can hold out and demand a new one? It would be a terrible precedent if Terrell Owens gets his new raise and it would be bad if Walker gets a new contract too. Play out the damn thing until the team is ready to pay you. WTF! Rosenhaus really pisses me off so much and scares me at the same time. He will probably convince Willis McGahee to hold out next season and then force Buffalo to pay him like he's the best running back in the history of the NFL. :shakeno:

Michael82
05-04-2005, 10:54 AM
BTW.... :hail: Favre

He is definitely a class act and it's nice to see him saying things like this. :up:

CuseJetsFan83
05-04-2005, 11:08 AM
now its just a shame that other players or coaches on other teams cant step up.... granted i know mcnabb has, and ive seen a few other minimal examples.....

haven't seen any confirmation or anything, but rumor has it that santana moss is holding out in washington..... wouldn't that just be hysterical..... anywho, who is his agent?

Michael82
05-04-2005, 11:35 AM
now its just a shame that other players or coaches on other teams cant step up.... granted i know mcnabb has, and ive seen a few other minimal examples.....

haven't seen any confirmation or anything, but rumor has it that santana moss is holding out in washington..... wouldn't that just be hysterical..... anywho, who is his agent?
Rosenhaus

CuseJetsFan83
05-04-2005, 11:42 AM
enough said.............. u think they would have learned from jerry mcguire lmao......

but seriously, this is the ONLY thing that tarnishes the great salary cap that the NFL has

Michael82
05-04-2005, 12:07 PM
enough said.............. u think they would have learned from jerry mcguire lmao......

but seriously, this is the ONLY thing that tarnishes the great salary cap that the NFL has
That's why the teams all need to be strong and tell the players NO! If any of them change the contracts or trade the players, Rosenhaus wins. We don't want that to happen.

mysticsoto
05-04-2005, 12:12 PM
That's why the teams all need to be strong and tell the players NO! If any of them change the contracts or trade the players, Rosenhaus wins. We don't want that to happen.
If it continues, people should avoid signing any Rosenhaus players...that'll tell players not to hire him as an agent!!!

Michael82
05-04-2005, 12:26 PM
If it continues, people should avoid signing any Rosenhaus players...that'll tell players not to hire him as an agent!!!
We just got another one in WR Roscoe Parrish. :ill:

Voltron
05-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Never happen! He is the top NFL agent. Personally I can't stand the snake ... but ask any of the people he represents and they will tell you he will ALWAYS get you what you are worth and is one of the best negotiators there is. If I was being held hostage I would want him to negotiate my release. I bet I would be let go and get paid by the hostage taker for my time :lol:

Also let’s not forget that the NFL teams don't have to abide by the contracts that they sign with the players. Besides the Dead cap space and the signing bonus money they lose they are allowed to cut anyone at any time!

I am not saying I agree with ANY of this but I am just trying to show folks what it is like from the player position. Remember that many of these players, even the ones who graduated, are not the sharpest tools in the shed and they have a small window of opportunity to make millions of dollars a year before they either get hurt or are passed by on the depth chart. Most have only 2 to 4 years before they have to go out into the real world and find a job. Now this kid isn’t going to be hurting but I know if I was in his shoes I would want to bank as much as I could, as soon as I could, just in case I had a career ending injury.

Michael82
05-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Never happen! He is the top NFL agent. Personally I can't stand the snake ... but ask any of the people he represents and they will tell you he will ALWAYS get you what you are worth and is one of the best negotiators there is. If I was being held hostage I would want him to negotiate my release. I bet I would be let go and get paid by the hostage taker for my time :lol:

Also let’s not forget that the NFL teams don't have to abide by the contracts that they sign with the players. Besides the Dead cap space and the signing bonus money they lose they are allowed to cut anyone at any time!

I am not saying I agree with ANY of this but I am just trying to show folks what it is like from the player position. Remember that many of these players, even the ones who graduated, are not the sharpest tools in the shed and they have a small window of opportunity to make millions of dollars a year before they either get hurt or are passed by on the depth chart. Most have only 2 to 4 years before they have to go out into the real world and find a job. Now this kid isn’t going to be hurting but I know if I was in his shoes I would want to bank as much as I could, as soon as I could, just in case I had a career ending injury.
I just pray that this doesn't lead the NFL to guaranteed contracts. That's already ****ed up MLB and the other sports. It would be terrible to have in the NFL.

camelcowboy
05-04-2005, 01:32 PM
I just pray that this doesn't lead the NFL to guaranteed contracts. That's already ****ed up MLB and the other sports. It would be terrible to have in the NFL.
Nfl can't have guaranteed contracts because of the Hard Cap. Besides it's to violent of a sport. Teams would lose the little flexibility they already have.

The_Philster
05-04-2005, 03:17 PM
We just signed another one in WR Roscoe Parrish. :ill:

we haven't signed Parrish yet

DynaPaul
05-04-2005, 04:46 PM
He signed the line, now he's gotta do the time.

Mr. Cynical
05-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Physically, mentally and emotionally he is the best QB of all time IMO. Nobody will ever change my mind on that.

mybills
05-04-2005, 05:47 PM
I love Favre! :D

Moulds should say the same thing about Henry
He's not the leader! :;