John Avery want 2000 yrds and become a writer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ticatfan
    The Meathead of Muslims!
    • Jul 2002

John Avery want 2000 yrds and become a writer.

JOHN AVERY thinks he can join the CFL's exclusive 2,000-yard club.

The Argos running back, who battled problems with his left knee throughout the 2004 season after off-season surgery, believes he has a good shot to become only the second player in CFL history to top 2,000 yards in a season.

"It's very realistic, but on the other hand I've got to get the ball," Avery said last night. "I'm confident in what I bring to the table ... I'd very much love to be in that elite group of 2,000-yard rushers. I don't think it's very hard."

The lone 2,000-yard season came in 1998 when Mike Pringle totalled 2,065 with the Montreal Alouettes.

After an intense off-season of training in North Carolina and Oakville, the 5-foot-10 Avery has gained about 17 pounds to reach a sturdy 200. He feels that's a near-ideal weight.

"I've been working so hard and that has allowed me to build some muscle," Avery, 28, said.

Avery, who led the CFL with 1,448 rushing yards in 2002 with the Edmonton Eskimos, agreed to take a pay cut of about 50% in a re-structured two-year deal with an option in February after he finished seventh in the league with 974 yards last season. The outgoing Avery remains the highest-paid running back in the league.

"It's a business and sometimes you've got to roll with the punches," he said. "Myself, I feel like I'm young enough to go out and rewrite the record books, so it's not a big deal."

Avery said he was in so much pain at times last season, he sometimes took six Advils before practice.

"Even with one leg last year, I was still a big problem (for opposing teams)," he said.

While he's not 100% yet, Avery seems anxious to return to training camp May 29.

"I wouldn't say I have fully recovered because I did slow down the healing process by playing on it last year and coming back early, but it feels 10 times better than it did last year," he said. "When you show up at camp with a limp (last year) and at this camp, you show up running and cutting and doing everything ... teammates tend to rely on you a little bit more and have confidence in you."

When he wasn't rehabbing during the off-season, Avery spent much of his time writing a script for a 12-episode sitcom about the life of a professional athlete. He has shown it to a few people, including the lawyer for Serena and Venus Williams and LeBron James, and received good reviews. He hopes to film a pilot episode.

"It's basically showing people when you become a professional athlete, the only things that change are your bank account and your popularity," Avery said. "You've still got crazy family, crazy friends and you're still human."
    Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Harry S Truman 1941.
  • LtFinFan66
    • Mar 2005

Yes he was. A big first round bust for us!

Comment

• ticatfan
      The Meathead of Muslims!
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LtFinFan66
      Yes he was. A big first round bust for us!
      I just checked that and he has your rookie record for yrds of 1600 or so, what happened to him.
      Political correctness ( or cancel culture as it is called today) is a doctrine fostered by a delusional ,illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by MSM which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
      Harry S Truman 1941.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ticatfan
        I just checked that and he has your rookie record for yrds of 1600 or so, what happened to him.
        HUH??? I bet the guy never had 600 yards in a season.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ticatfan
          Over 1,000 of that was kick returns I am guessing from these stats. Seemed to be a good kick returner. Guess he just wasn't good enough. Small guy who just wasn't getting it done. Especially for a 1st round stretch which he was.
          The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
          Last edited by LtFinFan66; 05-04-2005, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• ticatfan
            The Meathead of Muslims!
            • Jul 2002

Ya , it was combined.

Drafted by the Miami Dolphins (NFL) in the 1st Round (29 Overall) of the NFL Draft…holds Miami’s single season combined yards record for a rookie (1,655)
            Harry S Truman 1941.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

Here is his first year stats(which are by far his best, he barely played after this year)
              Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
              +----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
              | 1998 mia | 16 | 143 503 3.5 2 | 10 67 6.7 1

Comment

• venis2k1
                Youboty can hope
                • Jul 2002

he was one of the xfls biggest stars, ran for the enforcers i belive. may have won the xfl's only rushing title?

Comment

Working...
                X