PDA

View Full Version : NT Keith Traylor available

Ickybaluky
05-04-2005, 05:50 PM
The Patriots cut NT Keith Traylor today, telling him they are going with their younger players at the position.

Traylor is old, but he was a valuable role player for the Pats last year, helping stuff the run on early downs. He is limited to that role, but that was basically the role that Pat Williams played in Buffalo last year. Perhaps he could help you guys in a rotation.

My guess is Romeo Crennel wants him in Cleveland, where they need DL help. Traylor can be had for the Veteran Minimum ($765K), which is what the Pats were scheduled to pay him. With the vet exception rule, a 1-Year minimum contract for him would only count $450K on the cap.

ArcticWildMan
05-04-2005, 06:01 PM
For vet min he would be a good addition.

BuffaloRanger
05-04-2005, 06:04 PM
He's going to the Browns. He'll sign tomorrow. This was Belichek throwing a bone to Crennell. He wants Crennel to do well - it's all about his coaching legacy now.

mysticsoto
05-04-2005, 07:30 PM
I don't think we need him. Edwards is apparently doing really well at the position and is ready. Anderson might also give him a good challenge, and once Sape is healthy, he has apparently improved a great deal also. Bannan is only average - but has good depth and knowledge of how we run things. We'll be fine at that position.

TigerJ
05-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Let Crennel have him.

ajsdx
05-04-2005, 09:47 PM
He's going to the Browns. He'll sign tomorrow. This was Belichek throwing a bone to Crennell. He wants Crennel to do well - it's all about his coaching legacy now.

Interesting. I'm sure BB wants Crennel to do well; I'm sure they're friends and all. But if BB were really interested in only his legacy, wouldn't he want Crennel to fail?

Look at it this way. Who has the better coaching legacy, Parcells (who had several assistants become successful HC's), or Jimmy Johnson (whose assistants were utter failures as HC's)? My money's on JJ -- he clearly put the package together, whereas with Parcells you have to think that BB was at least in part putting together those stout SB-winning defenses.

losman2evans
05-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Hopefully Keith Traylor would want to go to a team with a top defense all ready, with a chance for the playoffs rather then playing for the Browns this year. I believe he would be a great addition to the DT rotation.

camelcowboy
05-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Time to get the younger guys in there. We have a young qb, running back, and receivers. I think the last thing we need is a 35 year old DT. After all maybe Anderson, and Edwards will be good, keep in mind Sam Adams is getting older as well.

BuffaloRanger
05-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Interesting. I'm sure BB wants Crennel to do well; I'm sure they're friends and all. But if BB were really interested in only his legacy, wouldn't he want Crennel to fail?

Look at it this way. Who has the better coaching legacy, Parcells (who had several assistants become successful HC's), or Jimmy Johnson (whose assistants were utter failures as HC's)? My money's on JJ -- he clearly put the package together, whereas with Parcells you have to think that BB was at least in part putting together those stout SB-winning defenses.

While it can be argued that JJ was the better coach because it was all him, his assistants weren't as good - but he picked them and failed to develop them properly. JJ also had the benefit of the Walker trade to build his team.

A Coach's Legacy is what he left behind. The coaches he influenced, mentored, and groomed into successful HCs. Like you said JJs tree is bare.

I despise them both. Wait, is there a stronger word than despise? Loath maybe?

jpdex12
05-05-2005, 06:28 AM
Time to get the younger guys in there. We have a young qb, running back, and receivers. I think the last thing we need is a 35 year old DT. After all maybe Anderson, and Edwards will be good, keep in mind Sam Adams is getting older as well.
I agree. We don't need a 60 year old DT that would just eat up another roster spot!

TigerJ
05-05-2005, 07:30 AM
I agree. We don't need a 60 year old DT that would just eat up another roster spot!

Traylor will ONLY be 36 when the regular season starts. LOL

Ickybaluky
05-05-2005, 08:56 AM
Traylor will ONLY be 36 when the regular season starts. LOL

Say what you want, but he was a valuable role player for the Patriots last year. He got caught up in the numbers, because the Patriots have a lot of good, young players on the DL. However, as a run-stuffer, he did the job last year surprisingly well. He plugs up the middle and free up the LB to make plays.

If you ask me, Pat Williams was real good at what he did. Anderson is completely unproven. Edwards has shown he is a good 3rd DT, but it is different playing all the time. Traylor would be a good early-down insurance policy for a year until the younger players get more time (basically, what he did with the Patriots last year).

LifetimeBillsFan
05-05-2005, 09:41 AM
This one is a call that I'm more than happy to leave up to the coaches who have been watching our young DTs every day in practice. If they feel that Edwards and Anderson can get the job done against the run, I'd hate to see their progress slowed by having to share time with a guy who is 36 and not likely to have that much left in the tank, even if he has been pretty good against the run when playing sparingly. From this distance it's a close call and I think the coaches who see the players up close would have a better take on how good they think the young guys can be against the run than I would.

camelcowboy
05-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Say what you want, but he was a valuable role player for the Patriots last year. He got caught up in the numbers, because the Patriots have a lot of good, young players on the DL. However, as a run-stuffer, he did the job last year surprisingly well. He plugs up the middle and free up the LB to make plays.

If you ask me, Pat Williams was real good at what he did. Anderson is completely unproven. Edwards has shown he is a good 3rd DT, but it is different playing all the time. Traylor would be a good early-down insurance policy for a year until the younger players get more time (basically, what he did with the Patriots last year).
You can't prove yourself by sitting on the bench, let the young guys play. In training camp if the bills feel that these guys aren't working out then they can pick up a Keith Traylor, or a Norman Hand.