• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

How fitting...

it is that we have a new era, which consists of a new franchise qb and a potential integrel TE in the offense, which is Kevin Everett. Unfortunate events might stunt Everett's growth as a player in the offense, but one thing that remains to be seen is if Everett and Losman can bring back the K-gun offense with their own version. K-gunV2. Afterall, it was named after former bills TE Keith Mckellar who like Everett, had the ability to line up as a wideout and stretch the field. Some would rather let the K-gun legacy die with Kelly and Mckellar, but something tells me this version can be even better. Past: Keith Mckellar. Present: Kevin Everett. Notice the K. Coincidence?
    I'm looking forward to seeing Losman hook up with Everett considering he's been compared to the likes of Antonio Gates.
  • ShadowHawk7
    Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
    • Mar 2003

Nice analogy. Pity it will be delayed until at least next season..
    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
    -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• jpdex12
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ShadowHawk7
      Nice analogy. Pity it will be delayed until at least next season..
      Maybe Mid November 2005! Depends on how quick of a healer Kevin is. It would be something if we got him back in time for the second games against our AFC East rivals. They wouldn't know what to expect.
      Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by jpdex12
        Maybe Mid November 2005! Depends on how quick of a healer Kevin is. It would be something if we got him back in time for the second games against our AFC East rivals. They wouldn't know what to expect.
        don't hold your breath- even if he does come back late this year, don't forget that he'll be a rookie coming off an injury, without even the benefits of camp and preseason. Don't expect much from him this season- '06 will be when we find out what he's made of.

And btw, if this guy is so Gates-like, why did he last until late in the 3rd round? I hate the University of Miami (and think it's arrogant as hell that they call it "the U") so I never watched him play in college. But it seems to me he's getting over-hyped just because he's the hometown guy now.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Voltron
          • Jul 2002

Gates was an undrafted FA!

It is very hard to gauge potential ... Why did Ryan Leaf go #1 and Tom Brady in the 6th round?

It is all a roll of the dice
          Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
          - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
          -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
          - Mark Twain

Comment

• jpdex12
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Voltron

It is very hard to gauge potential ... Why did Ryan Leaf go #1 and Tom Brady in the 6th round?

Thanks for the backup man!
            Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
              Closet Bills Fan
              • Nov 2004

hmmm.......

Originally posted by Voltron

nice analogy, of sorts, but brady was mediocre in college, thats why his "stock" was down in the end of the draft. especially since drew henson was the big man on campus..... but both were average, especially when su whooped them.

anywho, obviously there are diamonds in the rough, and brady as much as i hate to admit it, is one of them. but thats also like saying what ifs...... well obviously the what if's never happened, and we deal with the whats' nexts'!

im really hoping we have an even keel type of season....... the excitement of 2002 was awesome especially when nearly all the divisional teams are up for the crown.

j-e-t-s
              jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

• Devin
                The Octagon
                • Apr 2003

He has potential but I have to go with Op here. Think hes a bit overhyped. Hes very athletic but I dont see the Gates comparisons.

Either way hes a Bill now so I hope the guy has a million yards.
                http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
                  don't hold your breath- even if he does come back late this year, don't forget that he'll be a rookie coming off an injury, without even the benefits of camp and preseason. Don't expect much from him this season- '06 will be when we find out what he's made of.

And btw, if this guy is so Gates-like, why did he last until late in the 3rd round? I hate the University of Miami (and think it's arrogant as hell that they call it "the U") so I never watched him play in college. But it seems to me he's getting over-hyped just because he's the hometown guy now.
                  You're probably right about him not making much of a contribution this season, although it will depend on how fast and well he recovers and whether he is able to use some of his rehab time to familarize himself with the offense. He could be able to contribute in a limited, specialized role if he recovers well and swiftly.

As for why he was a third-round projection: a lot has to do with his lack of playing time against top-level competition. He played JC ball for 2 years before going to Miami and, when he got there, he was their #2 TE behind a much more polished and experienced K.Winslow II, so his playing time at the Div I-A level was limited. By comparison, the two TEs taken ahead of him had much more experience playing the position: H.Miller was a 4 year starter, I believe, at UVa; and both played in offenses where the TE was a primary target, so both are much more polished than Everett.

I didn't see Everett play as much as I would have liked to, but, from what I did see, he struck me as a guy with a lot of talent who wasn't really smooth yet in what he did and, perhaps because he was still not totally comfortable in everything that he needed to do, could use some work on his concentration. He can block--probably better than A.Smith, though maybe not as effectively as H.Miller (who is a complete product already, similar to J.Witten)--but looked a little "herky-jerky" on some of the routes that I saw him run. As a result, when he may make a terrific catch one play and miss an easy pass the next. To me, he looked like a guy who just needs to work becoming comfortable and consistent in what he is supposed to do by repetition. Right now, H.Miller and A.Smith have that, but, down the road, Everett could be as good or better than Miller (who is clearly better than Smith IMHO) because of his physical talent--and Miller is going to be a good one.
                  Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

Working...
                  X