PDA

View Full Version : Will JP have the discipline to avoid the big mistake?

OpIv37
05-06-2005, 07:21 AM
So we know JP is stubborn (which is a good thing at times) and we know he lacks experience. Throughout the course of a game, every team has a few plays where the pass protection breaks down or the defense sniffs it out. Will JP have the discipline to throw the ball away or take a sack, or will he lose yards and/or create a turnover by trying to force something to happen.

I'm trying to keep my expectations for JP reasonable- he will make some rookie mistakes, but that doesn't bother me. This team was good enough to win 9 games despite Bledsoe's mental breakdowns last year, so a missed pass or down-the-field INT from JP on occasion shouldn't be problematic. My concern is 15 yard sacks and turnovers returned for touchdowns because JP is trying to force something. I don't want to accuse him of being a liability before he has a chance to really play- just wondering what everyone thinks about this.

ryven
05-06-2005, 07:29 AM
I think about it and worry but it seems like he is willing to use his check down receivers which bledsoe did not do well and I think he is smart enough to throw it away.

Tinboy
05-06-2005, 07:52 AM
There's always a risk that things like that is going to happen when you start with an rookie QB, but Losman seems like a smart kid. I think that if the first few games goes our way we won't have to worry about things like that.

Rhettoric
05-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Based on his college stats you can probably expect one interception for every two touchdowns which is better then Bledsoe. I think his is going to be more apt to run with it rather than throwing it away. They don't list fumbles on the stats, but he does have a dozen games with a net negative in rushing. I just hope he doesn't get hurt while scrambling.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb2003/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2003&org=718&player=7

OpIv37
05-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Based on his college stats you can probably expect one interception for every two touchdowns which is better then Bledsoe. I think his is going to be more apt to run with it rather than throwing it away. They don't list fumbles on the stats, but he does have a dozen games with a net negative in rushing. I just hope he doesn't get hurt while scrambling.

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb2003/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2003&org=718&player=7

I wouldn't worry about the net negative rush yards. In college football, sacks count as negative rushing for the QB. So if he has a game where he gets sacked 3 times and didn't have a big run, he'll have a negative total.

Tatonka
05-06-2005, 08:25 AM
the main thing that i really put my faith in is that wyche coached some great great qbs.. i like what he taught them and how they turned out.. hell.. he even made bledsoe and his decade of bad habbits more dealable last season..

i think with wyches assistance in learning the offense and how to play the position combined with jp's awesome work ethic and willingness to learn as much as he can and take advantage of all the help that is there for him... i think jp can truely be something special.

add that with the fact that we have an offensive cordinator that can play to a qbs strengths and a head coach that is know for helping qbs play beyond themselves (maddox and kordell).. i think it all equals a huge reason to be very excited about our team.

chubluv
05-06-2005, 08:29 AM
mistakes are bound to happen. Hopefully they will be minimum. We shouldnt be all over him we should nurture and support him during the season.

generalmills
05-06-2005, 08:57 AM
The thing that I worry about with him is that He will put his head down and try and run through a line-backer and find himself out for 5 weeks or so.. but with Holcomb sitting and waiting..I feel that it will not be a huge step down (if any). With Holcomb on the bench, there is not a worry in my mind over the old: "what if the QB goes down?"

camelcowboy
05-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Well he's basically a rookie QB. So he will make some mistakes. He is showing a great work ethic, and he's learning to watch film. You don't hear about young QB's starting out like this. Im ok with a young quarter back making "rookie mistakes" When you have a 12 year veteran making rookie mistakes thats what frustrates me. Im glad the statue is gone.

OpIv37
05-06-2005, 09:08 AM
The thing that I worry about with him is that He will put his head down and try and run through a line-backer and find himself out for 5 weeks or so.. but with Holcomb sitting and waiting..I feel that it will not be a huge step down (if any). With Holcomb on the bench, there is not a worry in my mind over the old: "what if the QB goes down?"

Yeah Holcomb's definitely the best backup we've had since Frank Reich. Let's just hope JP is the best starter we've had since Jim Kelly (although Collins, Johnson, Flutie, Hobert and Bledsoe aren't exactly tough to beat).

Kelly The Dog
05-06-2005, 09:18 AM
He's going to make mistakes, all QBs do. But one thing that hasn't been discussed a lot about JP is that he is Tulane's all-time leader is lowest INT percentage per pass. That is not something you would expect from a fiery, emotional, cocky quarterback running for his life behind a terrible line.

The_Philster
05-06-2005, 03:02 PM
He's going to make mistakes, all QBs do. But one thing that hasn't been discussed a lot about JP is that he is Tulane's all-time leader is lowest INT percentage per pass. That is not something you would expect from a fiery, emotional, cocky quarterback running for his life behind a terrible line.

Shows he uses his head more than his emotions :up:

jamze132
05-06-2005, 09:11 PM
I think he will be just fine.