PDA

View Full Version : WM contract

sb_bound
05-06-2005, 09:10 AM
I have a very bad feeling that we are going to have cap problems next year. We all know that Clements is going to be a challenge to re-sign but I also think that WM is going to want to restructure next year. I am thinking that he is going to be looking for a 5 year 35 - 40 million dollar extension with a sizeable signing bonus.

We may be able to pay both of these guys if we

Restructure Mike Williams contract to keep his cap number in the 4-5 million range

Release Teague

Either restructure Moulds contract or flat out release him

With the release of Bledsoe this year we are going to save around 4 million next year. Hopefully their is another 5 million increase in the cap which would leave us with 9 million to begin with. If you add in the savings of the moves that I listed above we should be around 13-16 million under the cap. We should be able to keep both WM and Clements. We may run into a problem if we can't get our guys to restructure or if we end up with needs at other positions.

camelcowboy
05-06-2005, 09:14 AM
WM contract or is it MW contract?

buffalofan19
05-06-2005, 09:26 AM
WM contract or is it MW contract?I think he's talking about Mike Williams' contract, but Willis McGahee's contract is a concern also. I think it is up the year after Nate's is (I believe he was signed to a four year deal). This is what bothers me about Nate's contract. If the Bills pay him the money he is expected to ask for (and arguably deserves), they probably won't have enough room or money to re-sign McGahee the year after. Personally, I think I'd rather re-sign McGahee than Clements. Then again, If Willis' knee starts giving him problems again, I think I might change my opinion.

wchutalkinboutwillis
05-06-2005, 09:29 AM
I have a very bad feeling that we are going to have cap problems next year. We all know that Clements is going to be a challenge to re-sign but I also think that WM is going to want to restructure next year. I am thinking that he is going to be looking for a 5 year 35 - 40 million dollar extension with a sizeable signing bonus.

We may be able to pay both of these guys if we

Restructure Mike Williams contract to keep his cap number in the 4-5 million range

Release Teague

Either restructure Moulds contract or flat out release him

With the release of Bledsoe this year we are going to save around 4 million next year. Hopefully their is another 5 million increase in the cap which would leave us with 9 million to begin with. If you add in the savings of the moves that I listed above we should be around 13-16 million under the cap. We should be able to keep both WM and Clements. We may run into a problem if we can't get our guys to restructure or if we end up with needs at other positions.
WM may very well ask for more money but he will have to prove that he's worth it. No question that the potential is there but he didn't exactly demonstrate break away speed last year. I think his longest run was the trick play in Seattle (which in my opinion, was the play of the year for Buffalo). He'll need 1500 yds, no injuries, 15 TD's and a team in the playoffs to get the leverage on Donahoe. If he does this, the numbers you've outlined would make him a bargain.
Clements is as good as gone. He'll command more money than Winfield because he actually knows how to catch a football. Sad to say that Moulds is probably gone too, but if he dips in production (75 catches 900 yds or so), then he may restructure to be cap friendly and play out his career as a Bill. Something I think he truly wants to do.
I'm hoping MW can restructure prior to camp. I haven't given up on him yet and JP, WM, and Mouse will only make him a better player. If he breaks out this year without a restructured deal, it may get tough to hold on to him.
Teague is a good solid player but I don't see him making much more elsewhere. Given the state of the line, we should be able to hold onto him.

gr8slayer
05-06-2005, 11:16 AM
If it comes down to having to resign Clements or having to resign McGahee Im taking McGahee. A good RB is a QB's best friend.

OpIv37
05-06-2005, 12:22 PM
this situation really has me nervous though- we're tapped out on cap space, Clements has a big payday coming up and our three young guys on offense will need new contracts in the next 2-3 years. If these guys are half as good as the early signs show, it's going to be way more money than we have and something will have to give. I don't like the Colts model- paying your top three offensive players megabucks then going cheap on the rest of the team. Out of Losman, McGahee, Evans and Clements, I expect only 2 of the 4 will still be here in 2 years. Let the rebuilding begin!

jpdex12
05-06-2005, 12:41 PM
this situation really has me nervous though- we're tapped out on cap space, Clements has a big payday coming up and our three young guys on offense will need new contracts in the next 2-3 years. If these guys are half as good as the early signs show, it's going to be way more money than we have and something will have to give. I don't like the Colts model- paying your top three offensive players megabucks then going cheap on the rest of the team. Out of Losman, McGahee, Evans and Clements, I expect only 2 of the 4 will still be here in 2 years. Let the rebuilding begin!
Clump, Settle these boys down and bring some calming thoughts to this thread.:calm:

THATHURMANATOR
05-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Give Willis whatever he wants

sb_bound
05-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Trust me when I say McGahee will be asking for more money after this year. His agent, Lucifer, will be talking in his ear all offseason and we will be in a holdout situation with WM. We are going to have to redo his contract next year.

OpIv37
05-06-2005, 01:27 PM

wrong- we need a 53 man roster and we shouldn't have to sacrifice a solid D that's 4 years in the making for one player, or give up Losman and Evans just to keep McGahee.

Michael82
05-06-2005, 06:28 PM
wrong- we need a 53 man roster and we shouldn't have to sacrifice a solid D that's 4 years in the making for one player, or give up Losman and Evans just to keep McGahee.
in 2 years...that D is no more.

wchutalkinboutwillis
05-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Tough to predict what will happen in two years because the CBA will have expired. Talks went nowhere in Hawaii and morons like Dan Snyder are poised to revolutionize the most successful professional league around. The cap as we know it may be gone. In the end, owners like Wilson and Mara will be depended upon to garner support in an effort to extend the current Collective Bargaining Agreement. A set up that has really been succsessful to everyone involved. Small market teams like Buffalo, Green Bay and Jacksonville are able to compete because of this system. The cap and revenue sharing make the NFL exciting and competetive. However, greedy owners like Snyder and Johnson can use their power to influence others and change things. Imagine if there was no cap and the skins were spending 200mm per year on payroll while Green Bay was spending 80mm. Not meaning to be a buzz kill on a Friday night. In the end, Tagliabue has tremendous respect and influence. Results are what count and he's proven he can run this league better than anyone. He'll pull it through.

Michael82
05-06-2005, 07:49 PM
I love when people start panicking about the future and say we won't be able to afford these players next year. Have you seen the cap numbers? It will probably be a high number next year. We'll be able to extend Willis McGahee and sign Clements to a new contract. I don't know why everyone thinks we will be soo close to the cap next year. We didn't sign many players this year and all our dead cap will be gone next year.

Bills 4 life
05-06-2005, 09:34 PM

I agree 100%

wchutalkinboutwillis
05-06-2005, 09:39 PM
No question, TD will find a way to work it out. But not without some changes. Have YOU seen the cap numbers? Assuming Williams, Moulds, and Clements all return, you're probably looking at a minimum of a combined 20mm cap hit. I think Williams alone counts like 10mm this year. Next year, Moulds is to count around 9mm under his current deal. It's not about panick but more about "how are the pieces going to fit?". That's why I don't envy TD's job. He's amongst the best but the guy can't be sleeping very well.

Devin
05-06-2005, 10:29 PM
OMG IN 3 YEARS WE WILL LOOSE WILLIS!

for crying out loud.