X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Superhero
    • Mar 2005

Some Bills Player Notes & Questions

J.P. Losman - He has a quick release, good arm strength, & good mobility. He also took alot of hits in college where he showed good toughness & had a good TD to interception rate. It is great that he has been studying alot of film & preparing for his starting roll in the offseason but Will he be able to read defenses & find an open receiver? Will he be able to get the ball to his receivers quickly without running the ball too much & gettiung hit or sacked? Can he look off his 1st receiver & find a secondary receiver quickly? How accurate is he?

Eric Moulds - Still an excellent receiver who caught 88 passes last season. He also does a good job at working with the young receivers, but is he worth $6 million per season? He dropped alot of passes last year. He generally doesn't catch enough TD passes for an elite receiver. His yards per catch are going down every year.

Lee Evans - Very good rookie year showing good hands and scoring 9 TD's. Can He build on his rookie year & improve on his reception total (bring it to at least over 60). Can he score another 9 TD's or more?

Josh Reed - In a contract year. May be last chance to prove himself. Has to do a better job at creating space and getting open. Has to do a much better job at hanging onto the ball.

Roscoe Parrish - Will bring more needed speed to the offense. Will along with Lee Evans keep safeties on their heals opening things up for the ground game. Due to his lack of size, will he be able to get off the line of scrimmage in the NFL & stick with his route & can he stay healthy? Will he be able to catch the ball in the cold & the wind & will he be able to catch enough passes to keep pressure off of Moulds, Evans, & the ground game?

Sam Aiken - Hasn't shown much in game situations. Is he better than Josh Reed? Can he get open? Will he perform well enough to get playing time?

Freddie Smith - Did okay for a 7th round rookie last season, but might lose out in the #'s game fior a roster spot. May not be big enough or fast enough to make an impact in the NFL. Parrish will likely take over his punt returning. Has to do a better job as a receiver & be able to get open in order to beat out Reed or Aiken for a roster spot.

Drew Haddad - May have too much competitiion to make it here in Buffalo. Supposebly he has good hands, but can he get enough separation to get open to make plays in the NFL

Tony Brown - Likely won't make the Bills 53 man roster but if he performs well enough may have a shot for the practice squad
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

One can never argue with questions. I don't think Haddad has any kind of a shot. It's fair to say that either Reed, Aiken, or Jonathon Smith will be cut this year.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Superhero
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by TigerJ
      One can never argue with questions. I don't think Haddad has any kind of a shot. It's fair to say that either Reed, Aiken, or Jonathon Smith will be cut this year.
      I think with the addition of Parrish, fast Freddie will be the guy to go. Things probably aren't very good for Haddad either.

Training Camp & the preseason will decide for sure who will stay & who will go.

I would look to package Travis Henry along with a receiver in a trade

Comment

• Tinboy
        • Aug 2004

Reed really need to improve this year, as I think this will be the last year we have Moulds. As for Aiken, Smith I think will be backup this year but probably get cut after that.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Aug 2004

Lee Evans showed a nice rapport with JP Losman in the preseason last year, before JP was hurt and Evans moved into the starting lineup. I don't think it will be hard for the two of them to re-establish that rapport in TC this year and I expect Evans to become JP's "go-to-guy" as a result. At the same time, however, I also expect Evans to begin to see a lot more double-teams than he saw last year, which will probably cut down on the number of passes that JP will be able to throw his way when he does look to him. Still, I expect Evans to improve on his numbers from last season and I think that he should be able to exceed 9 TDs in the process.

More than anything, I think that the lack of rapport thus far between JP and E.Moulds will have a negative impact on Moulds' numbers this season. Even though EM has lost a step and drops his share of passes, he is still a quality receiver capable of putting up the kind of numbers that he had last season. But, so far, JP has shown little inclination to look E.Moulds' way first, the way that all of the Bills' QBs have in recent years. That may change as they have more of a chance to work with each other and as opposing defenses shift their attention more to L.Evans, but, at least initially, I can see a drop-off in E.Moulds' number--a drop-off that I don't think that he will be able to make-up later in the season as JP becomes more comfortable throwing to him.

I could see R.Parrish putting up very nice numbers for a #3 WR and rookie this season. With his speed against nickle or dime DBs, I can see him becoming a favorite safety-valve receiver for JP in fairly short order. While I hesitate to predict the kind of numbers he will put up, I think the coaching staff will try to devise ways to get him on the field and get the ball into his hands more than might otherwise be expected because of his breakaway abilities.

No doubt about it, this is a "make-or-break" year for both J.Reed and S.Aiken. Both will have to perform well or they will be gone. And, I see the pressure being more on Reed than Aiken because Aiken has size and the potential to at least compete for E.Moulds' spot if the Bills are unable to retain EM after this season. Both will probably make the team--unless they perform poorly in preseason and TC--but J.Reed had better catch everything in sight and break a couple of long YAC receptions if he wants to see much playing time and have any chance of being around next season.

With the arrival of R.Parrish, I think Fast Freddy's days in Buffalo are numbered. Drew Haddad's, too. I can't see W.Peoples having much of a shot at making the team, but, if he can stay healthy, T.Brown might be able to catch on as either a special teamer or PS player because he does have a nice combination of size and speed that the coaching staff might want to see if they can develop.
          Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
            Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
            • Mar 2003

Evans didn't have a catch last year in the preseason, so I don't know if there was any chemistry last season b/w the two. I did hear that Moulds and J.P struggled a bit trying to get used to each other, so we'll see. I also heard that there was some good chemistry b/w J.P and Roscoe in the minicamps.

This will be Reed and Aiken's last chance for a roster spot. My favorite is Aiken because he still has the potential to be our EM replacement soon, and I think he develop some chemisty w/ JP. I think Aiken's chances were diminished last year because DB locked on EM far too much.
            I think Smith will be cut if he doesn't show he can play WR as well as ST. Is Smith PS eligible? I think Tony Brown will preform well enough in the preseason to earn a spot on the PS.
            "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
            -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
            X