Looks like NYS might finally change the Sunday alcohol sales law....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Looks like NYS might finally change the Sunday alcohol sales law....

I was reading the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle today and I noticed a little blurb about a Bill that was passed by the state assembly and will now go to the Senate. Here's the Bill....

A00914 Memo:
    TITLE OF BILL: An act to amend the alcoholic beverage control law, in relation to issuance of summons and to repeal section 105-a of such law, relating to prohibiting the sale of beer for off-premises consumption on Sunday during certain hours.

PURPOSE OR GENERAL IDEA OF BILL:
    This bill would repeal the section of law that forbids retail establishments from selling beer for off-premises consumption on Sundays between 3 A.M. and12 noon.

SUMMARY OF SPECIFIC PROVISIONS:
    Repeals section 105-a of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Law.

JUSTIFICATION:
    This section of law is an archaic one, a holdover from the blue laws that were put into effect when most businesses were closed on Sundays and society was very different. With people attending religious services at varying times and days, not just on Sunday mornings, this prohibition doesn`t seem practical today. The law also needlessly inconveniences citizens whose faith or lack of faith has no relevance to Sunday morning. Also, by repealing this section it would make it easier for people traveling and families picnicking to stop at the store in the morning to get their groceries for the day. The bill would also eliminate a de facto mandate on small businesses who have to carry out the prohibition by denying customers their selected purchase.
  • gggbills
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mikey82
    I was reading the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle today and I noticed a little blurb about a Bill that was passed by the state assembly and will now go to the Senate. Here's the Bill....

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A00914
    So does this mean that those bars next to the Ralph can now sell me my Jack and Coke when I get there on Sunday morning, or does this just effect stores?

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gggbills
      So does this mean that those bars next to the Ralph can now sell me my Jack and Coke when I get there on Sunday morning, or does this just effect stores?
      it looks like it's just going to effect the retail stores. If it passes, it means that you can pick up a few cases of beer right before you go to the Ralph, instead of getting it all the night before. Or if you run out, you can take a walk over to the 7-11 and pickup some more 12 packs.

Comment

• wchutalkinboutwillis
        • Mar 2005

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A00914
        This could be huge. No more panicking over beer quantities while half in the bag on Saturday at 11:45pm. If this Bill passes, something tells me that security levels will heighten at the Ralph.

"If I had my way, I'd shuffle off to Buffalo. Sit by the lake and watch the world go by." Fogerty

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by wchutalkinboutwillis
          This could be huge. No more panicking over beer quantities while half in the bag on Saturday at 11:45pm. If this Bill passes, something tells me that security levels will heighten at the Ralph.
          That's exactly why I don't see it getting passed. Just imagine. Right now, the people drink what they have and that's it. If they could go out to a store and get more...the drunks will be drinking even more than before.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
            short bus extraordinaire
            • Jul 2002

it looks like it's just going to effect the retail stores. If it passes, it means that you can pick up a few cases of beer right before you go to the Ralph, instead of getting it all the night before. Or if you run out, you can take a walk over to the 7-11 and pickup some more 12 packs.

you'll have to get ice too.you know those beers will be pi$$ warm.
            Originally posted by yordad
            Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• JayWood
              The Professor
              • Jul 2002

Great News!!!

Rhode Island passed the same law a couple of years ago. I guess they saw all the money they could be making and had enough with people jumping over the boarder to Mass. every Sunday
              When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on tight!!!

Comment

• Meathead
                Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                • Jul 2002

Now we can work on getting beer sales in church.
                One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Meathead
                  Now we can work on getting beer sales in church.

Comment

• Italian Stallion
                    Knows More Than You
                    • Feb 2004

Let's see how many more accidents and deaths occur now on gameday.....I'll drink with the best of them, but there are always those asses that will take it to far, and if this gets passed it will only heighten their resources and the probability that something awful will happen.....I'll be at the Ralph every game this year, and worring about those *******s is not one of my priorities...
                    BILLS FOOTBALL

SABRES HOCKEY

METS BASEBALL

I like cheeseburgers and eva mendes

Comment

• footballhottie
                      • Feb 2005

thank ****ing god!!! its about time!

The OG attention whore. 18 Billszone years strong

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Italian Stallion
                        Let's see how many more accidents and deaths occur now on gameday.....I'll drink with the best of them, but there are always those asses that will take it to far, and if this gets passed it will only heighten their resources and the probability that something awful will happen.....I'll be at the Ralph every game this year, and worring about those *******s is not one of my priorities...
                        good post. I agree. This new law if passed, will make the drunks even worse.

Comment

• Meathead
                          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                          • Jul 2002

I'd go to church more often if they sold beer.

Hey, did you know they used to have hookers in the church to boost attendance? True. Then I'd REALLY be a regular church-goer.
                          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

Is this a great country or what?
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
                            X