PDA

View Full Version : TD will get a third for TH in 2006

jpdex12
05-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Well, the s*** didn't go down as planned during the draft when TD figured to move TH for a draft pick, but if you look around the league there are a few teams that should realize that TH for a third rounder will help their cause.

Let's start with Jacksonville...

The Jaguars will be without running back Fred Taylor for most of the offseason after he underwent knee surgery, but Taylor said he would be back in time for training camp. The talk was that Taylor had an MCL injury to his knee, but word is he also suffered a PCL injury that made his surgery far more difficult than expected. The Jaguars are hopeful Taylor will be 100 percent next season, because without him their offense would be in trouble -- even with the new emphasis on throwing downfield more. They did like what they saw from rookie fourth-round pick Alvin Pearman last week and LaBrandon Toefield and Greg Jones are also in the mix. Jones, though, is expected to be the starting fullback. (per cbssportsline.com) http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8447203/2

With Taylor severely aging and unable to perform as he once did without injuries setting him back and Jones not likely to be the predicesor, Jax is a likely candidate to offer a third rounder for Henry come mid July.

Next up, Tennessee....

Needless to say, Chris Brown can get the job done, but he is as fragile as a glass vase. With his style of running like an ironing board is stuffed up his *** he is a sure bet for more injuries to come and Tennessee needs some stabilty at the RB position. Yet another team that could be looking in the preseason for a RB like TH.

Don't forget about Arizona....

I know. Some of you are thinking no way in hell. But look at their depth chart. JJ Arrington is penciled in as the starter. Who's to say that Dennis Green has not sat on stubborn pride just to prove TD the bad guy in the once hot trade rumors? Don't count this team out in swallowing their pride and offering a 3rd round pick when they cannot get the job done at the RB spot in 2005. They need production immediately or the savior they call Warner will be throwing 40 passes a game which is not healthy for a 40 year old!

And then there was Carolina....

I'd feel confident with two RB's coming off of SERIOUS knee injuries to carry my running attack. Davis is 31 and here are Foster's stats:
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg1 vAlign=top><TH>Year</TH><TH>Team</TH><TH>G</TH><TH>GS</TH><TH>Att</TH><TH>Yards</TH><TH>Avg</TH><TH>Lg</TH><TH>TD</TH><TH>20+</TH><TH>FD</TH></TR><TR class=bg2><TD>2002</TD><TD>Carolina Panthers</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>---</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=bg3><TD>2003</TD><TD>Carolina Panthers</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>113</TD><TD>429</TD><TD>3.8</TD><TD>21</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>22</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD>2004</TD><TD>Carolina Panthers</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>59</TD><TD>255</TD><TD>4.3</TD><TD>71</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>13</TD></TR><TR class=bg4><TD>TOTAL</TD><TD></TD><TD>18</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>172</TD><TD>684</TD><TD>4.0</TD><TD>71</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>35</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 vAlign=top><TD>Not exactly impressive!

John Fox would love a stable running attack to go with a strong "D". This could be the sleeper in the TH for third round pick marathon.

Stil lingering Eagles...

Yup, Westbrook still has not been signed and we all know how much trade talk we heard from Philly and TH. "at Back"Reid wasn't just blowing smoke to get the "RB/WR that really hasn't proved to be a RB" Westbrook to sign the contract. TH would be more of a RB than Westbrook ever thought of being. Don't think that Donnie McNabb doesn't have anything to say about this scenario. We are all aware of McNabb's feelings for holdouts and non-team players. Didn't TH rack up 1300 yards on a broken leg? Definite trade potential!

So, with plenty of other potential trades happening due to injured RB's in the preseason and TH being the only available, quality RB because Alexander will have signed by then and James is locked up for a year, TH is looking good. Especially with the potential to sign him for less than Alexander or James.
Yes, TH has had his problems (fumbles/injuries) he has the most appeal to any team out there that is not yet in need of a RB.
The only downside to this is that it is delaying the Bill's plan of attack for a backup RB for the season. The A-Train could have been signed if TH was out of the picture.

IMO, TD will get that third rounder eventually.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ShadowHawk7
05-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Good possibilites there. I hope it happens. :up:

DynaPaul
05-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Uh, isn't Henry a free agent in 2006?

AndreReed83
05-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Uh, isn't Henry a free agent in 2006?

I think he meant Henry will be traded this season for a 3rd rd pick in 2006.

Charlieguide
05-07-2005, 11:19 PM
I agree with every assessment except Carolina. If nothing else, Davis and Foster provide great depth behind Nick Goings, who was far more than impressive last year. He blew us away his first two weeks, then settled in to consistent starting-calibre performances for the rest of the season. (I know: he saved one of my fantasy teams.)

BuffaloRanger
05-08-2005, 02:42 AM
So this works out well. 2006 3rd round pick, player will ride the bench all of 2006 season, then maybe see the field in 2007. I can't wait for the next two season to be over with so I can see him play! I for one am very excited about the possibilities.

The Bills have to hope that another team's RB gets hurt early enough in preseason that will force them them to want to trade for TH (over Alexander/Edge). It has to be early, because TH won't be in the Bills camp, and he will need the extra time with the new team to get in football shape.

It's just as likely that no team will want a RB that lost his starting job on the Bills. The Bills will be stuck with him holding out through part of the season and will get nothing for him after the season. But at least we didn't give him away for less than he was worth, right? Oh, wait...

jpdex12
05-08-2005, 07:26 AM
I think he meant Henry will be traded this season for a 3rd rd pick in 2006.
Exactly!

jpdex12
05-08-2005, 07:40 AM
So this works out well. 2006 3rd round pick, player will ride the bench all of 2006 season, then maybe see the field in 2007. I can't wait for the next two season to be over with so I can see him play! I for one am very excited about the possibilities.

The Bills have to hope that another team's RB gets hurt early enough in preseason that will force them them to want to trade for TH (over Alexander/Edge). It has to be early, because TH won't be in the Bills camp, and he will need the extra time with the new team to get in football shape.

It's just as likely that no team will want a RB that lost his starting job on the Bills. The Bills will be stuck with him holding out through part of the season and will get nothing for him after the season. But at least we didn't give him away for less than he was worth, right? Oh, wait...Man, you're always quick to slam someone but I really don't remember seeing any educated posts by you. What's worse is you talk about no team wanting TH because he lost his starting job to a top three 1st round pick (McGahee, before his knee injury) when you don't even stop to think that Oakland paid a hefty contract to get L.Jordan who wasn't even a starter in the league. It is just the way that the cards played out last season that we still have TH. TD didn't know if WM would stay healthy or what he would be capable of doing so we had to hold onto TH.
So anyother team could have had James or Alexander for a second round pick earlier this year, but you forget that those teams didn't want to pay a billion dollars for them. TH comes a lot cheaper, that is why Dennis Green and Andy Reid and Gruden were looking at him early in the year instead of the other RB's with better stats. Makes sense doesn't it Einstien?
So your miserable because you may have to wait two seasons to see a third round pick that we might get for TH play? Well, it's better than losing him to FA!
It could not very well happen until half way through the 2005 season that he gets traded as well. Don't think that TH won't be in shape. He won't be playing so it's the only thing that he can do to make sure that he makes himself appealing for a trade.

mysticsoto
05-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Man, you're always quick to slam someone but I really don't remember seeing any educated posts by you. What's worse is you talk about no team wanting TH because he lost his starting job to a top three 1st round pick (McGahee, before his knee injury) when you don't even stop to think that Oakland paid a hefty contract to get L.Jordan who wasn't even a starter in the league. It is just the way that the cards played out last season that we still have TH. TD didn't know if WM would stay healthy or what he would be capable of doing so we had to hold onto TH.
So anyother team could have had James or Alexander for a second round pick earlier this year, but you forget that those teams didn't want to pay a billion dollars for them. TH comes a lot cheaper, that is why Dennis Green and Andy Reid and Gruden were looking at him early in the year instead of the other RB's with better stats. Makes sense doesn't it Einstien?
So your miserable because you may have to wait two seasons to see a third round pick that we might get for TH play? Well, it's better than losing him to FA!
It could not very well happen until half way through the 2005 season that he gets traded as well. Don't think that TH won't be in shape. He won't be playing so it's the only thing that he can do to make sure that he makes himself appealing for a trade.
That's a good point about L. Jordan. He has never been a starter and who knows what to expect of him. He just might crumble under the stress of starting every game and taking the beatings you do as a RB. If I were a Raider, I wouldn't mind signing Travis since he's relatively cheap and a good RB that can duke it out with L. Jordan to start. Then if one goes down, they have a good 2nd choice. Right now, if Jordan goes down - they have crap!

BuffaloRanger
05-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Man, you're always quick to slam someone but I really don't remember seeing any educated posts by you. What's worse is you talk about no team wanting TH because he lost his starting job to a top three 1st round pick (McGahee, before his knee injury) when you don't even stop to think that Oakland paid a hefty contract to get L.Jordan who wasn't even a starter in the league. It is just the way that the cards played out last season that we still have TH. TD didn't know if WM would stay healthy or what he would be capable of doing so we had to hold onto TH.

Was I slamming you? No. (But I just did) Was I being sarcastic? Yes. Forgive me if I'm not excited that TDs replacement could have two 3rd round picks next year. I like to focus on what would help this team make the playoffs this year.

Do you know what "football shape" means Einstein? It means taking handoffs, making cuts, getting hit - all in practice. I'm sure TH will be in "great workout shape", but if he doesn't practice with the Bills he will not be in good "football shape".

Let me break this down for you. TH is a much more attractive trade during the first week of training camp, then during week 4, after a lengthy holdout.

So pray that a RB, from a team without a decent backup, gets hurt sooner rather than later.

jpdex12
05-09-2005, 06:23 AM
Was I slamming you? No. (But I just did) Was I being sarcastic? Yes. Forgive me if I'm not excited that TDs replacement could have two 3rd round picks next year. I like to focus on what would help this team make the playoffs this year.

Do you know what "football shape" means Einstein? It means taking handoffs, making cuts, getting hit - all in practice. I'm sure TH will be in "great workout shape", but if he doesn't practice with the Bills he will not be in good "football shape".

Let me break this down for you. TH is a much more attractive trade during the first week of training camp, then during week 4, after a lengthy holdout.

So pray that a RB, from a team without a decent backup, gets hurt sooner rather than later.
You just contradicted yourself. Do you think that he will be in any different "football shape" between week one of preseason rather than week four of the regular season if he is not with a football team by then?
I knew that I should have elaborated on his football shape in the previous post to prevent it being thrown in my face by some "Madden Like" website poster like yourself!
What are you talking about "TDs replacement could have two 3rd round picks next year."?
I wonder how many other Zoners think that Buffalo could get more for TH in week one of the preseason versus week four of the regular season when there is more of an immediate need to fill a vital position with one week to prepare for the next game rather than four weeks?
So what you were thinking is that it would be more likely for us to receive a third rounder in week one of preseason for TH rather than week four of the regular season? Is this the part where I'm supposed to call you Einstien?:box:

mybills
05-09-2005, 07:39 AM
:dizzy:

Tinboy
05-09-2005, 07:43 AM
I would like to see a trade with Tennesse

LifetimeBillsFan
05-09-2005, 11:43 AM
I agree with every assessment except Carolina. If nothing else, Davis and Foster provide great depth behind Nick Goings, who was far more than impressive last year. He blew us away his first two weeks, then settled in to consistent starting-calibre performances for the rest of the season. (I know: he saved one of my fantasy teams.)
I would agree with you on this, except that I read a couple of little blurbs (one was in an article on SI.com, but don't ask me for any URLs) during the course of the last month that indicated that J.Fox isn't particularly comfortable with the idea of going into this season with N.Goings as his starting RB, if S.Davis or D. Foster aren't healthy enough to take over the starting job.

Now, I don't know why this would be and it really took me by surprise when I read it--because B.Hoover and, especially, N.Goings performed very well when they had to replace Davis and Foster last season--but I saw it in at least two or three different places on the Internet. I remember that I blew it off the first time that I saw it because I couldn't believe that Fox wouldn't be comfortable going with N.Goings after the way that he played so well for the Panthers in the second half of last season. But, then, I saw it a couple more times and, while I don't know how much substance there is to these reports, now I'm not sure that Carolina can be entirely eliminated as a team that might be interested in acquiring a top-flight RB if S.Davis or D.Foster don't appear to be healthy enough to claim the starting RB job for them by the beginning of the season.

Still, I think that Tennessee or Jax are places that T.Henry is more likely to end up in.

carybillsfan
05-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Only 1 question, if Travis gets traded for a 3rd rounder next year, Who is going to back up Willis? The free agent market is dead. I think if Henry shows up to camp, which I believe he will, the bills keep him, he's better than anybody out there. Then after the season the bills say fairwell and move on. I don't think anybody gives us anything for him, and if he sits out the entire year he will not be signed as a starter anywhere.

camelcowboy
05-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Only 1 question, if Travis gets traded for a 3rd rounder next year, Who is going to back up Willis? The free agent market is dead. I think if Henry shows up to camp, which I believe he will, the bills keep him, he's better than anybody out there. Then after the season the bills say fairwell and move on. I don't think anybody gives us anything for him, and if he sits out the entire year he will not be signed as a starter anywhere.
I'll wait ill june 1st to see the cuts, but i don't want Henry in that locker room. Last thing we need is another distraction. I want to see that 7th round pick play a little too, Lionel Gates, i think. Big, has good hands, could be a good back up running back.

BuffaloRanger
05-09-2005, 03:26 PM
You just contradicted yourself. Do you think that he will be in any different "football shape" between week one of preseason rather than week four of the regular season if he is not with a football team by then?
I knew that I should have elaborated on his football shape in the previous post to prevent it being thrown in my face by some "Madden Like" website poster like yourself!
What are you talking about "TDs replacement could have two 3rd round picks next year."?
I wonder how many other Zoners think that Buffalo could get more for TH in week one of the preseason versus week four of the regular season when there is more of an immediate need to fill a vital position with one week to prepare for the next game rather than four weeks?
So what you were thinking is that it would be more likely for us to receive a third rounder in week one of preseason for TH rather than week four of the regular season? Is this the part where I'm supposed to call you Einstien?:box:

jpdex12 why is this so hard for you to understand? Of course he will be in the same exact "football shape" between Week 1 of preseason and week 4 of the regular season if he is still holding out.

Now pay attention.

If he is traded for by another team early in the pre-season he will have enough time, get this, to get into "football shape" before the season starts, rather than having to get in shape during the season - between games.

And yes I will go on record as saying I think the Bills can get more for TH from a team with an injured starter early in the Pre-season, rather than in Week 4 if TH is still holding out. And teams will be more interested in him if he doesn't holdout of the entire camp.

The more snaps he gets with his new team before he plays his first game the better for that team. If it's week 4 and a team has a choice between TH who hasn't touched a football in months and a back-up RB like Larry Johnson, Marcel Ship, one of the 4 in Minn, one of the 4 in Denver, who do you think that team is going to be interested in? A team in need is going to make offers to several different teams with quality RBs to test the waters, not just the Bills because they have a RB they want to get rid of.

jpdex12
05-09-2005, 11:51 PM
I'll wait ill june 1st to see the cuts, but i don't want Henry in that locker room. Last thing we need is another distraction. I want to see that 7th round pick play a little too, Lionel Gates, i think. Big, has good hands, could be a good back up running back.
And that will be our backup! Mularkey is high on him.

BuffaloRanger
05-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Good lord! Is Mularky really considering a 7th round pick as a backup RB in May?

I'm glad they didn't reach for him in the 6th round because then where would the Bills get all there quality Olineman?

jpdex12
05-10-2005, 12:08 AM
jpdex12 why is this so hard for you to understand? Of course he will be in the same exact "football shape" between Week 1 of preseason and week 4 of the regular season if he is still holding out.

Now pay attention.

If he is traded for by another team early in the pre-season he will have enough time, get this, to get into "football shape" before the season starts, rather than having to get in shape during the season - between games.

And yes I will go on record as saying I think the Bills can get more for TH from a team with an injured starter early in the Pre-season, rather than in Week 4 if TH is still holding out. And teams will be more interested in him if he doesn't holdout of the entire camp.

The more snaps he gets with his new team before he plays his first game the better for that team. If it's week 4 and a team has a choice between TH who hasn't touched a football in months and a back-up RB like Larry Johnson, Marcel Ship, one of the 4 in Minn, one of the 4 in Denver, who do you think that team is going to be interested in? A team in need is going to make offers to several different teams with quality RBs to test the waters, not just the Bills because they have a RB they want to get rid of.
So Chief...just how long do you think that it would take a guy like TH to get into "football shape"? And what if someone wanted to argue that TH would be fresh out of the zip lock bag with a full years rest and no contact until September? And was Jerome Bettis out of "football shape" because he took the entire week off in between games last year?
Remember Keenan McCardell? He didn't appear out of "football shape" from his layoff in between Tampa and SD. His career avg. per catch was 12.9 and his 2004 avg. was 12.7.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg1 vAlign=top><TH>GAMEDATE</TH><TH>Opp</TH><TH>RESULT</TH><TH>GS</TH><TH>Rec</TH><TH>Yds</TH><TH>Avg</TH><TH>Lg</TH><TH>TD</TH><TH>Att</TH><TH>Yds</TH><TH>Avg</TH><TH>Lg</TH><TH>TD</TH><TH>Fum</TH><TH>Rec</TH><TH>Yds</TH><TH>TD</TH></TR><TR class=bg2><TD>10/24</TD><TD>@Carolina</TD><TD>W 17-6</TD><TD>No</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>65</TD><TD>13.0</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=bg3><TD>10/31</TD><TD>Oakland</TD><TD>W 42-14</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>55</TD><TD>13.8</TD><TD>24</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=middle><TD colSpan=4>November </TD><TD colSpan=5>Receiving </TD><TD colSpan=5>Rushing </TD><TD colSpan=4>Fumbles </TD></TR><TR class=bg1 vAlign=top><TH>GAMEDATE</TH><TH>Opp</TH><TH>RESULT</TH><TH>GS</TH><TH>Rec</TH><TH>Yds</TH><TH>Avg</TH><TH>Lg</TH><TH>TD</TH><TH>Att</TH><TH>Yds</TH><TH>Avg</TH><TH>Lg</TH><TH>TD</TH><TH>Fum</TH><TH>Rec</TH><TH>Yds</TH><TH>TD</TH></TR><TR class=bg2><TD>11/07</TD><TD>New Orleans</TD><TD>W 43-17</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>89</TD><TD>14.8</TD><TD>31</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=bg3><TD>11/21</TD><TD>@Oakland</TD><TD>W 23-17</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>7</TD><TD>91</TD><TD>13.0</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>3.0</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD>11/28</TD><TD>@Kansas City</TD><TD>W 34-31</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>48</TD><TD>12.0</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=middle><TD colSpan=4>December </TD><TD colSpan=5>Receiving </TD><TD colSpan=5>Rushing </TD><TD colSpan=4>Fumbles </TD></TR><TR class=bg1 vAlign=top><TH>GAMEDATE</TH><TH>Opp</TH><TH>RESULT</TH><TH>GS</TH><TH>Rec</TH><TH>Yds</TH><TH>Avg</TH><TH>Lg</TH><TH>TD</TH><TH>Att</TH><TH>Yds</TH><TH>Avg</TH><TH>Lg</TH><TH>TD</TH><TH>Fum</TH><TH>Rec</TH><TH>Yds</TH><TH>TD</TH></TR><TR class=bg2><TD>12/05</TD><TD>Denver</TD><TD>W 20-17</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>7.5</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=bg3><TD>12/12</TD><TD>Tampa Bay</TD><TD>W 31-24</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>30</TD><TD>10.0</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TD>12/19</TD><TD>@Cleveland</TD><TD>W 21-0</TD><TD colSpan=15>Did Not Play </TD></TR><TR class=bg3><TD>12/26</TD><TD>@Indianapolis</TD><TD>L 31-34</TD><TD colSpan=15>Did Not Play </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=middle><TD colSpan=4>January </TD><TD colSpan=5>Receiving </TD><TD colSpan=5>Rushing </TD><TD colSpan=4>Fumbles </TD></TR><TR class=bg1 vAlign=top><TH>GAMEDATE</TH><TH>Opp</TH><TH>RESULT</TH><TH>GS</TH><TH>Rec</TH><TH>Yds</TH><TH>Avg</TH><TH>Lg</TH><TH>TD</TH><TH>Att</TH><TH>Yds</TH><TH>Avg</TH><TH>Lg</TH><TH>TD</TH><TH>Fum</TH><TH>Rec</TH><TH>Yds</TH><TH>TD</TH></TR><TR class=bg2><TD>01/02</TD><TD>Kansas City</TD><TD>W 24-17</TD><TD colSpan=15>Did Not Play </TD></TR><TR class=bg3><TD>01/08</TD><TD>New York</TD><TD>L 17-20</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>50</TD><TD>12.5</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

:bringit:

jpdex12
05-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Good lord! Is Mularky really considering a 7th round pick as a backup RB in May?

I'm glad they didn't reach for him in the 6th round because then where would the Bills get all there quality Olineman?
So are you calling Mularkey an idiot?

mysticsoto
05-10-2005, 08:40 AM

Shaud will be the backup if TH is gone. Lionel Gates will compete with Dante Brown for the 3rd position and whoever loses out will be PS'ed. I don't know much about Brown, but Lionel Gates is probably a good prospect to develop for possibly backing up next year.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-10-2005, 08:40 AM

I think the Bills will take a good look at L.Gates to see if he can handle the short-yardage work if they need him to--they know S.Williams can be effective between the 20s--and, if they decide that he can't, they can always look to pick up one of the older RBs that are still unemployed, like T.Wheatley, D.Levens or G.Hearst, to back-up Willis if they trade T.Henry. With S.Williams, they don't need a RB who would have to be capable of taking on all of Willis' touches or someone who has a lot of speed--they just need someone who can run hard inside to pick up the tough yards that S.Williams had a hard time getting when he filled in for Willis last season. That's the kind of runner that L.Gates is, but, if they feel that he can't get the job done on the pro level, there are some older RBs out there who can if they aren't called on to carry the entire load at the RB position.

BuffaloRanger
05-10-2005, 11:46 AM
So are you calling Mularkey an idiot?
You'd like that wouldn't you.

Anything a coach says about a 7th round pick in May can't be taken seriously. Ask Mularky about any draft pick or UDFA and he will speak glowingly about that player. I'm sure he has hopes that every UDFA could make the team. But someone has to be cut. 7th round RBs and 6th RD Olineman often find themselves on the PS.

Seriously how many longshots are the Bills management looking to get contributions from? Do they want a team full of late round draft picks and UDFAs just to show how smart they are at finding diamonds in the rough?

PS: Your stats bore me jpdex12.

Burris was a 3rd down/goal line back that just had to run straight ahead (because the steelers have a good oline). McCardell is a WR - apples and oranges.

Think of TH the way the rest of the NFL does. He is injury prone, has a history of fumbling, showed last year that he can't get the tough yard - Raiders and Pats game, and lost his starting job. Add to that the fact he could be coming off a lengthy holdout thru camp and has character issues and teams might not be beating down TDs door.

The only way the trade even happens is if a team's starting RB gets injured for the season, and they are without a decent backup RB. But they could just as easily go after Wheatly, Levens, a June 1st cut, or any number of backups in the NFL.

So don't be disappointed if a team that loses their RB decides to trade for someone besides TH.

Since you like stats so much:

Maybe you could come up with a list of RBs we should put Voodoo curses on?

Bert102176
05-10-2005, 07:21 PM
I'm thinking he goes to Philly, cause of something I read http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/football/11607493.htm this message will self destruct in 10 seconds :blowup:

jpdex12
05-10-2005, 09:52 PM

Anything a coach says about a 7th round pick in May can't be taken seriously. Ask Mularky about any draft pick or UDFA and he will speak glowingly about that player. I'm sure he has hopes that every UDFA could make the team. But someone has to be cut. 7th round RBs and 6th RD Olineman often find themselves on the PS.

Seriously how many longshots are the Bills management looking to get contributions from? Do they want a team full of late round draft picks and UDFAs just to show how smart they are at finding diamonds in the rough?

Burris was a 3rd down/goal line back that just had to run straight ahead (because the steelers have a good oline). McCardell is a WR - apples and oranges.

Think of TH the way the rest of the NFL does. He is injury prone, has a history of fumbling, showed last year that he can't get the tough yard - Raiders and Pats game, and lost his starting job. Add to that the fact he could be coming off a lengthy holdout thru camp and has character issues and teams might not be beating down TDs door.

The only way the trade even happens is if a team's starting RB gets injured for the season, and they are without a decent backup RB. But they could just as easily go after Wheatly, Levens, a June 1st cut, or any number of backups in the NFL.

So don't be disappointed if a team that loses their RB decides to trade for someone besides TH.

You asked for it!

Ronnie Brown
Curtis Martin
Corey Dillon

I'm hoping that part of TH's slow start out of the gates last year was an issue of the line not gelling in time.
BTW, you seem to be not so crabby today...you get some poontang last night?:hump:

jpdex12
05-14-2005, 02:22 PM

Hey Mud Pirate,
Who's Burris? BTW, Bettis got most of the carries all game long after Staley got hurt and that was at least half of the season. In fact it was week 9 until the end of the season. Do you argue just for the sake of arguing or is there really a point that you were tying to prove? If you think that the only way that we trade TH is if a RB goes down on another team then why is it that the only teams that have shown the most interest in TH are teams that already have starting RB's?

capitolneal
05-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Would'nt it be better if we lost him as a free agent and get a compensatory pick in line with his next yrs accomplishments, I know they have a wacky way of figuring how they they designate what we get back and we still have a very strong second string back, I am with TD on this one make him honor his contract and then say see ya and if we don't sin any FA we should be inline for a 3rd anyways

jpdex12
05-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Would'nt it be better if we lost him as a free agent and get a compensatory pick in line with his next yrs accomplishments, I know they have a wacky way of figuring how they they designate what we get back and we still have a very strong second string back, I am with TD on this one make him honor his contract and then say see ya and if we don't sin any FA we should be inline for a 3rd anyways
We did just sign Rashard Lee! That will count against us in some way. Besides, I don't trust the compensatory pick judges enough to just say the hell with it and let TH skate after the year. They may say that he wasn't worth much when we let him go and stick it in o9ur asses like they did this year. ***holes!