PDA

View Full Version : I love Van but it's time for him to hang it up

Novacane
12-15-2002, 04:54 PM
Van Miller has called some really exciting calls in his time but listening to him now is painful! How many times did he say Drew bLees?

Fat Tony
12-15-2002, 05:01 PM
Nitpicking.

Don't like it? then Go to NFL.com and listen to the opposition.

4thAndLong
12-15-2002, 05:04 PM
It was terrible...He needs to retire.

It's not nitpicking, Fat Tony. He's way past his prime and needs to hang it up.

Fat Tony
12-15-2002, 05:06 PM
Yes it is. Bills win, so the only other thing to complain about is the announcers.

:rolleyes:

4thAndLong
12-15-2002, 05:09 PM
No, it's the first time I've had to listen to him all season. :rolleyes:

don137
12-15-2002, 05:29 PM
You guys must not be old enough to remember and appreciate Van Miller and his classic calls of Bills games. To me he is Buffalo's Harry Carah and an icon to Buffalo sports. Yes he makes mistakes but the older fans really appreciate him.
I just wish I could hear Ted Darling call a Sabres game one more time...

JefftheBillsfan
12-15-2002, 06:01 PM
hehe...he said bledsoe throws a screeno...but i like van still.

Novacane
12-15-2002, 07:09 PM
2 things.

1. It's not nitpicking and who's complaining? I am simply stating a fact!

2. Don, I remember Van in his glory days. Read the thread title. I said I love Van. It is just very hard to follow him now. Everyone gets old. It's what I get for selling my tickets. I had to listen to him.

There were times a pass would be completed and he would not even say to who.

don137
12-15-2002, 07:54 PM
I just appreciate listening to Van. Call me old fashion. You just laugh off the mistakes and go with it. Sometime the mistakes can be quite amusing. Harry Caray for the Cubs was a classic at not knowing what was going on. A classic Harry Caray blunder was one April day and it was cold at Wrigley. Two girls were sharing a blanket in the stands watching the game. The camera zoomed in on them and Harry Caray not realizing they were members of the same sex says "young love. Ain't it great?" He's partner, I believe, Steve Stone, was so dumbfounded he didn't know what to say. I almost fell out of my chair. The same can be said for Van now. He may not be on top of plays or pronunciate things right but I don't know anyone I would rather listen to broadcast a Bills game.

StillLurkin
12-15-2002, 08:41 PM
when i watch the games on tv, i turn down the volume and listen to van and murph call the game. he is the VOICE of the bills, and let him call em till he wants to hang it up. he is by far and away better than 90% of the morons CBS or FOX has.

Dozerdog
12-15-2002, 08:46 PM
:up: Don!!

I guess people got to find the flaws in everything.

Novacane
12-15-2002, 08:50 PM
I don't want them to push Van out the door. He is not horrible. Just very hard to follow the game with his call now. From what the paper was saying today Van is tiring and telling friends he is thinking about giving it up.

Hey, at least Van and Murphy are way better than that jerk Miami has that pulls that

aaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllright Miami crap everytime they score. I can't stand that guy!

Buffatexas
12-17-2002, 01:00 PM
If Van goes, who do we replace him with? How about this tandem, Irv Weinstein and Clip Smith with Jimmy Griffin on color commentator. Now THAT would be interesting!

BFBills
12-17-2002, 03:16 PM
Van rocks.