• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Italian Stallion
    Knows More Than You
    • Feb 2004

NFL says Nolan can't wear suit....

49ers coach Mike Nolan requested the NFL to permit him to be able to wear a suitCoach Mike Nolan recently petitioned the NFL to allow him to wear a suit on the sidelines during game days.

"To me, it's professional. I think it's respectful," Nolan said. "There was certainly no deal, no one came to me, there was nothing to gain. I wasn't trying to put the spotlight on me. But what I was trying to say, there's somebody in charge and this is what they look like."

The league turned Nolan down. Head coaches must wear the NFL-sanctioned team garb.

"There were marketing issues and sales issues, all that stuff," Nolan lamented. Beyond wanting to look the part of a man in charge, Nolan also viewed it as a tribute to his father, Dick, who was the coach of the 49ers from 1968-75.........

I think this is ridiculous, the leauge already has mass marketing for the jerseys players wear, and the shiny new hats, coats and sweatshirts as well.....why does this carry over to the coaches?? Who out there says "i really wanna look like Mike Nolan, so I'm gonna buy that hat/coat/etc."????
    He's got a legimiate reason to wear one, so i dont see a problem with it,

what do you guys think?

BILLS FOOTBALL

SABRES HOCKEY

METS BASEBALL

I like cheeseburgers and eva mendes
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Good... I hate suits in general. Down with the suits

Comment

• Bills 4 life
      • Oct 2004

DAN REEVES?
      "No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills"

Buffalo Bills fans- "We're all we got"

Comment

• HAMMER
        I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
        • Jul 2003

It would be nice to see! Remember Tom Landry, always looked sharp in his fresh suit and hat.

Comment

• Cntrygal
          Visually stunning but camera-shy.
          • Jul 2002

It wouldn't bother me if coaches wore suits. After all, it would disguise the manboobs.
          Originally posted by notacon
          The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

Tom Landry must be turning over in his grave.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• BuffaloJayhawk
              • Aug 2004

as long as the coaches don't wear speedo's out there I don't care what they wear.
              http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                • Jan 2004

stupid. players/coaches should be able to wear whatever they like.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by jfreeman
                  stupid. players/coaches should be able to wear whatever they like.
                  Well, at least coaches should. As long as it is clean and respectful.

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

That's total BS. Doesn't the NFL remember the old days of their league? All the players wore the uniforms and the coaches wore suits. It actually looked really nice seeing Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi dressed up in sharp suits when I see old game footage.

Comment

• AndreReed83
                      Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
                      • Mar 2004

I think the NFL's run by a bunch of nazis.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
                      "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• wchutalkinboutwillis
                        • Mar 2005

As Nolan said in a round about way, it's all driven by $$$$. You can blame the owners. They want their team colors and logo shown as often as possible. What better way to advertise your merchandise than by decking out your coach in team colors. A coach has the camera on him how many times in a game? 20, 40, 60 times? Probably more. I would welcome the suits back, if only for the simple reason that I wouldn't have to see Mike Holmgren's grotesque nipplitus.

"If I had my way, I'd shuffle off to Buffalo. Sit by the lake and watch the world go by." Fogerty

Comment

• That Guy
                          • Apr 2004

Not this has anything to do with this really... but I definitely think Nolan is going to be a successful head coach. It just seems like certain guys just look and act like they have what it takes to head coach... something that I never saw/see out of Dennis Erickson, Norv Turner, Dave Wannstedt, Gregg Williams or Dave McGinnis. Nolan oozes confidence, is very professional in demeanor, and always seems like he has a gameplan. He is definitely trying to turn around the losing mindset of that team as soon as possible.

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by AndreReed83
                            I think the NFL's run by a bunch of nazis.
                            Agreed. This is even more proof that the NFL is all about the benjamins and nothing else.

Comment

• G. Host
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by That Guy
                              Not this has anything to do with this really... but I definitely think Nolan is going to be a successful head coach. It just seems like certain guys just look and act like they have what it takes to head coach... something that I never saw/see out of Dennis Erickson, Norv Turner, Dave Wannstedt, Gregg Williams or Dave McGinnis. Nolan oozes confidence, is very professional in demeanor, and always seems like he has a gameplan. He is definitely trying to turn around the losing mindset of that team as soon as possible.
                              Nolan is trying to turn it into "us against them" with his players so now his requests as well as players requests to wear alternate clothes is turned down. Since he probably knew his request would be turned down, not a bad plan. Maybe the 49ers will not come out with "officially sanctioned suits".

Comment

Working...
                              X