PDA

View Full Version : NFL says Nolan can't wear suit....

Italian Stallion
05-08-2005, 09:59 AM
49ers coach Mike Nolan requested the NFL to permit him to be able to wear a suitCoach Mike Nolan recently petitioned the NFL to allow him to wear a suit on the sidelines during game days.

"To me, it's professional. I think it's respectful," Nolan said. "There was certainly no deal, no one came to me, there was nothing to gain. I wasn't trying to put the spotlight on me. But what I was trying to say, there's somebody in charge and this is what they look like."

The league turned Nolan down. Head coaches must wear the NFL-sanctioned team garb.

"There were marketing issues and sales issues, all that stuff," Nolan lamented. Beyond wanting to look the part of a man in charge, Nolan also viewed it as a tribute to his father, Dick, who was the coach of the 49ers from 1968-75.........

I think this is ridiculous, the leauge already has mass marketing for the jerseys players wear, and the shiny new hats, coats and sweatshirts as well.....why does this carry over to the coaches?? Who out there says "i really wanna look like Mike Nolan, so I'm gonna buy that hat/coat/etc."????
He's got a legimiate reason to wear one, so i dont see a problem with it,

what do you guys think?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/05/08/SPGDCCLVFJ1.DTL

ddaryl
05-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Good... I hate suits in general. Down with the suits

Bills 4 life
05-08-2005, 11:16 AM
DAN REEVES?

HAMMER
05-08-2005, 11:27 AM
It would be nice to see! Remember Tom Landry, always looked sharp in his fresh suit and hat.

Cntrygal
05-08-2005, 11:34 AM
It wouldn't bother me if coaches wore suits. After all, it would disguise the manboobs.

TigerJ
05-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Tom Landry must be turning over in his grave.

Jayhawk
05-08-2005, 12:39 PM
as long as the coaches don't wear speedo's out there I don't care what they wear.

Bill Brasky
05-08-2005, 12:50 PM
stupid. players/coaches should be able to wear whatever they like.

chernobylwraiths
05-08-2005, 01:52 PM
stupid. players/coaches should be able to wear whatever they like.

Well, at least coaches should. As long as it is clean and respectful.

Michael82
05-08-2005, 02:14 PM
That's total BS. Doesn't the NFL remember the old days of their league? All the players wore the uniforms and the coaches wore suits. It actually looked really nice seeing Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi dressed up in sharp suits when I see old game footage.

AndreReed83
05-08-2005, 03:12 PM
I think the NFL's run by a bunch of nazis.

wchutalkinboutwillis
05-08-2005, 03:19 PM
As Nolan said in a round about way, it's all driven by $$$$. You can blame the owners. They want their team colors and logo shown as often as possible. What better way to advertise your merchandise than by decking out your coach in team colors. A coach has the camera on him how many times in a game? 20, 40, 60 times? Probably more. I would welcome the suits back, if only for the simple reason that I wouldn't have to see Mike Holmgren's grotesque nipplitus.

That Guy
05-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Not this has anything to do with this really... but I definitely think Nolan is going to be a successful head coach. It just seems like certain guys just look and act like they have what it takes to head coach... something that I never saw/see out of Dennis Erickson, Norv Turner, Dave Wannstedt, Gregg Williams or Dave McGinnis. Nolan oozes confidence, is very professional in demeanor, and always seems like he has a gameplan. He is definitely trying to turn around the losing mindset of that team as soon as possible.

Michael82
05-08-2005, 03:39 PM
I think the NFL's run by a bunch of nazis.
Agreed. This is even more proof that the NFL is all about the benjamins and nothing else. :shakeno:

G. Host
05-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Not this has anything to do with this really... but I definitely think Nolan is going to be a successful head coach. It just seems like certain guys just look and act like they have what it takes to head coach... something that I never saw/see out of Dennis Erickson, Norv Turner, Dave Wannstedt, Gregg Williams or Dave McGinnis. Nolan oozes confidence, is very professional in demeanor, and always seems like he has a gameplan. He is definitely trying to turn around the losing mindset of that team as soon as possible.

Nolan is trying to turn it into "us against them" with his players so now his requests as well as players requests to wear alternate clothes is turned down. Since he probably knew his request would be turned down, not a bad plan. Maybe the 49ers will not come out with "officially sanctioned suits".

AndreReed83
05-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Nolan is trying to turn it into "us against them" with his players so now his requests as well as players requests to wear alternate clothes is turned down. Since he probably knew his request would be turned down, not a bad plan. Maybe the 49ers will not come out with "officially sanctioned suits".

That's what I was thinking. Why don't the 49ers just make their own NFL suit?

Kerr
05-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Nolan should be able to wear a suit if he likes. Damn Tagliabue.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Tom Landry must be turning over in his grave.
You got that right! Vinny Lombardi and George Halas (who only founded the league!), too!!!

I agree with everything that has been said on this thread.

I'm not a big fan of suits (had to wear them for too many years!), myself, but I don't see any reason why NFL coaches shouldn't be allowed to wear them if they want. Wearing a suit during a game projects a certain image that a coach may want to create and utilize in the way that he leads his team: ie he's not "one of the guys" on the team, but the boss; the suit is his uniform, his suit of armor, just like his players have their uniforms; etc. I think it is a shame that the NFL is choosing to deprive its coaches of the option to use the manner of their dress in this way. And, you guys who say that it's all about the $$$ are absolutely right! Disgusting!!!

camelcowboy
05-09-2005, 10:22 AM
You got that right! Vinny Lombardi and George Halas (who only founded the league!), too!!!

I agree with everything that has been said on this thread.

I'm not a big fan of suits (had to wear them for too many years!), myself, but I don't see any reason why NFL coaches shouldn't be allowed to wear them if they want. Wearing a suit during a game projects a certain image that a coach may want to create and utilize in the way that he leads his team: ie he's not "one of the guys" on the team, but the boss; the suit is his uniform, his suit of armor, just like his players have their uniforms; etc. I think it is a shame that the NFL is choosing to deprive its coaches of the option to use the manner of their dress in this way. And, you guys who say that it's all about the $$$ are absolutely right! Disgusting!!!
Totally agreed, Prime example of Micromanagement. They try to eliminate individualism totally from the sport. Hell they have fashion police who fine the players if they wear all red socks, instead of white and red. REDICOLOUS

Jan Reimers
05-09-2005, 10:49 AM
What a sad state of affairs. The NFL, in its quest to grab every marketing dollar it possibly can, actually dictates what coaches can wear on the sidelines.

If I were Nolan, I'd wear a suit anyway and see what Tagliabue and his marketing/fashion police would do.

camelcowboy
05-09-2005, 10:56 AM
What a sad state of affairs. The NFL, in its quest to grab every marketing dollar it possibly can, actually dictates what coaches can wear on the sidelines.

If I were Nolan, I'd wear a suit anyway and see what Tagliabue and his marketing/fashion police would do.
Unfortunately, the coach "especially a rookie coach" doesn't make enought money to really make that kind of stand. Portis, and Sean Taylor did it last year but these guys are making millions. NFL doesn't care they'll just fine everybody, and make more money that way.

Michael82
05-09-2005, 11:02 AM

I hope he does, but he won't. :sigh:

Why would anyone want to stand up to the big bad NFL? :scared:

Jan Reimers
05-09-2005, 11:12 AM
Unfortunately, the coach "especially a rookie coach" doesn't make enought money to really make that kind of stand. Portis, and Sean Taylor did it last year but these guys are making millions. NFL doesn't care they'll just fine everybody, and make more money that way.
I agree with you and Mikey - he won't be able to take a stand, because the fines will be too heavy. Too bad though, because in this case he would neither be marketing competitive brands, nor wearing anything bizarre - he would actually be dressing better than the other coaches.