PDA

View Full Version : The week you've been waiting for...

JazzBow
12-15-2002, 06:32 PM
Hi there Buffalo fans. Packer fan here dropping by to say hello. Have to admit I don't know much about your team since I don't pay much attention to that upstart AFL league. I have the impression you have a pretty good offense, but are suffering on the defensive side.

How has your running game been doing? Also, how is Dave Moore doing?

If you want to drop by our forum and discuss the upcomming game feel free to drop by Zbuds (http://www.zbud.com/forum/index.php?)

4thAndLong
12-15-2002, 07:00 PM
Since this is NOT the smack forum JazzBow, I'll keep the smack to a minimum, if any. You do the same.

Should be a good game, D did pretty good against the Chargers...Dave Moore is settling in good, he's doing better than Reimersma.

Our running game has been close to unstoppable, Travis Henry has eclipsed the 1,300 yard mark and has 6 125+ yard games (most in NFL). He's not a back that'll break big 50 yard runs, but he is very consistent and gets alot of those 5 yard runs, and is very hard to take down. But has had some fumbling problems.

Ð
12-15-2002, 07:03 PM
Young upstart league? I hear Bart Starr is putting up some great numbers lately ;)

TigerJ
12-15-2002, 08:15 PM
Dave Moore does not get used as much as Remiersma. The coaching staff perceives Remiersma as having more talent, but Moore in my opinion is probably more consistent.

Buffalo has faced a number of top running backs this year. Ricky Williams, Tomlinson, Portis, Priest Holmes etc. I'm not going to try and say he's the best back in the league or anything like that, but he hasn't looked out of place next to any of them. He fumbled a lot in the first half of the season, but not nearly so much lately. He did fumble today. There have been a number of situations this year where Buffalo has gotten behind or other circumstances have occurred where OC, Kevin Gilbride felt like he had to abandon the run and rely on DB's arm. Travis Henry has ended up with like 15 carries in games like that. It makes us wonder what kind of season he might have had if he'd gotten a consistent 25-30 carries per game.

As far as the defence is concerned, there's no denying our troubles. Gregg Williams still wants to run his aggressive 46 defence, but the team invariably gives up big plays when we do because he just doesn't have the defensive linemen and linebackers who are disruptive enough to make it work.

I listened to the San Diego game today and it sounded like there were a few times when the defence actually pressured Drew Brees but those times have been too few and far between this year. When Buffalo has played a more conservative cover two zone, the defence has been more successful.

On problem has also been the nickel back for most of the year, Chris Watson. The Buffalo coaching staff finally cam clean a couple weeks ago and admitted the problem with Chris Watson. He is uncomfortable playing the coverage techniques required of the nickel back (on the slot receiver) so when the other team used a 3 receiver set Watson was always coming outside. That let the other team's offence dictate the matchups and Watson more often than not was on the other team's top receiver. Couple that with the lack of a consistent pass rush and you had other teams constantly making huge plays. Lately Watson has been demoted and Jason Bostic, who is smaller, but more comfortable on the inside guy, has been the nickel back. That may make Buffalo a little less vulnerable to the big play on obvious passing downs.

JazzBow
12-15-2002, 11:08 PM
TigerJ,

Thanks for the answer. Seems like Remiersma was with the Pack a few years back, but I may be mistaken. I think what you see is what you're gonna get with Moore. I only asked because one of our semi-regulars is a cousin of Moore.

I asked about your running game because the Packers have had some problems defensively in that area. Not as bad as looking purely at the stats would indicate (there have been some big runs ran of against the team in garbage time), but it is still a concern. Hopefully we'll have big Gil back to help in that area.

You'll need to pressure Favre, but then again the same can be said for the Packers. If they don't generate pressure against a QB of Bledoe's caliber it will be a looong day in Lambeau.

The Natrix
12-15-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by JazzBow

Remiersma was with the Pack a few years back

I don't know why you guys ever got rid of him :rolleyes:

The_Philster
12-16-2002, 06:20 AM
Reimersma was drafted by the Bills....never with the Pack or anyone else

SABURZFAN
12-16-2002, 06:27 AM
upstart AFL league????you're about 30 years behind the times bubba.

Mr. Miyagi
12-16-2002, 06:50 AM
Hey JazzBow Cheesehead, if you want to know about the Bills, you name the place in Wisconsin, let me come by and beat your head a few times, then I'll tell you all about them. :)

JazzBow
12-16-2002, 07:09 AM
It would be kind of a long trip for me to make it to Wisconsin. you'll have to come down to Florida to beat my head and tell me about the Bills.

Dozerdog
12-16-2002, 07:20 AM
My in laws are coming.... yeah.....the week I've been waiting for......:ill: