PDA

View Full Version : What I thought about the draft Rounds 21-30

Sportsuser101
05-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Round 21

Best Pick: Roosevelt Colvin; still young and should have a good 05 year; great for his 34 look
Sleeper: Michael Boulware; tremendous rookie season and tremendous transition from linebacker in college; great year for not many starts
Reach: Reggie Kelly; with Jason Dunn still on the board I don't uinderstand this pick; yes Kelly is a bit younger but Dunn is a better blocker and receiver

Round 22

Best Pick: Chris Brown; has been hurt but when he plays he is a tremendous player; 4.9 YPC 1000+ yards 6 TDs in just 11 starts
Sleeper:Osi Umenyiora; an up and comer out of Troy State which is suddenly becoming a hot bed of talent for speed rushing DEs
Reach: Jeff Faine; at this point there isn't many reaches but I'm going to do it anyway; this guy is on his way to becoming released; disappointment so far

Round 23

Best Pick: Mike McKenzie; not as good as he says he is but still a very good CB and would be the #1 CB on a few teams; HM to Gary Baxter
Sleeper: Mike Doss; Fred Taylor says hi but other then that he hasn't missed many tackles; suspect in coverage but is a big time tackler
Reach: Kelley Washington; not big #s and not much room for him to improve; 4th WR on a team not named the Colts is not a good pick here

Round 24

Best Pick: Vince Wilfork; slipped in the NFL draft and slipped in the BZFL; with Traylor out of the way is now the starter in NE; has stud written all over him
Sleeper: Shawntae Spencer; another guy who rose in the combine and then slipped during draft day; has the tools you look for in a cornerback
Reach: JP Losman; down boys down boys.. he did not have good #s last year so is useless next year; may have been able to wait on JP

Round 25

Best Pick: Umm.. pass? Johnnie Morton by default; good receiver; no more no less
Sleeper: Tyrone Calico; has all the upside and tools in the world; should have a good year this year
Reach: Anthony Becht; decent blocker; ok receiver; could have waited on him

Round 26

Best Pick: David Patten; I really don't like picking my players but 800 yards 18.2 YPC and 7 TDs in just 11 starts is impressive
Sleeper: Bob Sanders; didn't see much of him but when he played he played well; him and Doss have the makings of a good safety combo in Indy
Reach: None; couldn't find 1

Round 27

Best Pick: Jason Dunn; dominating run blocker and a good red zone tight end
Sleeper: Shawn Andrews; another player that played limited games due to injury (1 game) but has tremendous upside and will probably take over for Runyan when he retires
Reach: Dominic Rhodes; interesting pick with some good starting RBs there; not going to get a chance to improve behind James

Round 28

Best Pick: Chris Hoke; filled in nicely for Hampton last year and is a nice starting or backup NT for the 34
Sleeper: Onterrio Smith; alot of upside for this guy and may get the starting job in Minnesota
Reach: David Dixon; may lose his starting job in Minnesota; like I said these reaches can't really be considered too much of a reach based on where we are in the draft

Round 29

Best Pick: Will Demps; underrated player on a defense with Ed Reed and Ray Lewis but has a nice upside and a great find as an UDFA a few years ago
Sleeper: Victor Hobson; has played well for the Jets in limited playing time; Cowart release helps his stock even more
Reach: John St Clair; not sure about this pick just not a good pick imo

Round 30

Best Pick: Jeb Putzier; not a good blocker but was very good as a receiver in limited time
Sleeper: Vernon Carey; nice versatility and is the best offensive lineman on the Dolphins but only started 2 games
Reach: Dan Klecko; does have a nice versatiliy playing LB, DT, DE and FB but was hurt all year last year and is decent at those positions but not good at any

Forward_Lateral
05-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Rhodes a reach? I'm shocked you didn't do your research and see his kick return numbers, not to mention his 4.8YPC. Besides, there wasn't much left at backup RB at that point, and Rhodes is very young, Edge won't last much longer, IMO.

L.A. Playa
05-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Nice job Like ya take on Rds 27 and 29 LOL of course because that looks good for me LOL

L.A. Playa
05-10-2005, 04:10 PM
Rhodes a reach? I'm shocked you didn't do your research and see his kick return numbers, not to mention his 4.8YPC. Besides, there wasn't much left at backup RB at that point, and Rhodes is very young, Edge won't last much longer, IMO.

I think his point is Rhodes probably wasnt on many peoples radar at that point and I think the Colts will find a different option to replace Edge next year instead of Rhodes

Devin
05-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Man i love these, I had a sleeper!

Well done dude, a great read!

Sportsuser101
05-10-2005, 05:46 PM
You don't have to agree with them. I did my research so don't question that. He's a decent returner but defintely not top 10 in the league. I know what his YPC was but in the end is that all we're going to go by? If it is then whoever drafted LaDanian Tomlinson and his 3.9 YPC is really going to be disappointed. He had 1 rushing TD and good rushing yards in limited time. I don't want to mention names but a guy like Jesse Chapman is a better pick (later on) then taking Rhodes there. Chapmans 6 YPC (since you seem to like that so much) has 3 rushing TDs and Chapman is younger. Also I doubt Rhodes gets the starting job for any team. Oh well I didn't do this to argue I did it for fun.

Sportsuser101
05-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Man i love these, I had a sleeper!

Well done dude, a great read!
Thanks. :peace:

RetroRaiders81
05-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Damn, didn't make the list.

Sportsuser101
05-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Damn, didn't make the list.
Griffith was a strong canidate for sleeper but I gave it to Hobson. Petigout was in the debate too in the other round but wasn't really that close.

RetroRaiders81
05-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Well thats better, I just wanted to be on the list, even for a reach just to get some input, lol.

Sportsuser101
05-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Well thats better, I just wanted to be on the list, even for a reach just to get some input, lol.
You passed quite a bit probably the reason. I'll try to get you in as a reach next time. :sorry:

RetroRaiders81
05-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Oh no, only put me in if I deserve it. :up:

Forward_Lateral
05-10-2005, 06:43 PM
You don't have to agree with them. I did my research so don't question that. He's a decent returner but defintely not top 10 in the league. I know what his YPC was but in the end is that all we're going to go by? If it is then whoever drafted LaDanian Tomlinson and his 3.9 YPC is really going to be disappointed. He had 1 rushing TD and good rushing yards in limited time. I don't want to mention names but a guy like Jesse Chapman is a better pick (later on) then taking Rhodes there. Chapmans 6 YPC (since you seem to like that so much) has 3 rushing TDs and Chapman is younger. Also I doubt Rhodes gets the starting job for any team. Oh well I didn't do this to argue I did it for fun.

First, They are the same age (Chatman and Rhodes). Second, Rhodes has a hell of a better chance of ever becoming a starter behind James than Chatman does behind Tomlinson. Third, Rhodes was ranked 8th in kick return avg last season, most among RBs. He also had a return TD. I'd say he's a top 10 returner. I'm not meaning to start an argument, but your facts are incorrect.

L.A. Playa
05-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Just because its his opinion doesnt mean its correct if your happy with your pick thats all that matters

Sportsuser101
05-10-2005, 06:50 PM
First, They are the same age (Chatman and Rhodes). Second, Rhodes has a hell of a better chance of ever becoming a starter behind James than Chatman does behind Tomlinson. Third, Rhodes was ranked 8th in kick return avg last season, most among RBs. He also had a return TD. I'd say he's a top 10 returner. I'm not meaning to start an argument, but your facts are incorrect.
Chatman is younger then Rhodes. Check the birthdates. I never said Chatman was going to be starter but Rhodes isn't going to be a starter either. To take Rhodes ahead of some guys who are better and are starters I just felt it was a reach to grab him there ahead of those guys. Willie Ponder was also #1 in kick return per average does that make him the best? My facts are not incorrect.. Chatman is younger then Rhodes and that was the only fact that I stated.

R. Rich
05-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Just because its his opinion doesnt mean its correct if your happy with your pick thats all that matters

I agree.

FL, if you don't agree w/ his post, big deal. It's just his opinion. It doesn't validate anything. Like pmacla said, if you're happy w/ it, that's all that matters.

L.A. Playa
05-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Bottom line is I really like the team I have built and continue to build but everyone else could think it sucks but Im happy with my team

R. Rich
05-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Same here, pmac. I am not simply looking towards this upcoming season; I'm building my franchise.

L.A. Playa
05-10-2005, 07:19 PM
I believe my team will be very competitive this year as well in the future, but hey we wont know until the season starts everyone has 0 loses as of now

Devin
05-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Agreed, I enjoy other peoples insight (love sportsusers analysis) but it wont affect how I continue to build or how I view my team currently.

ryjam282
05-11-2005, 06:16 AM
Wow, another Best Pick in Colvin....Very happy. So far, I have had 3 best picks, 2 sleepers, and no reachs...Very pumped.

Michael82
05-11-2005, 09:20 AM
WOO HOO! Honorable mention for Gary Baxter and Best Pick for Jeb Putzier. i'm happy. Good read, man! Nice job. :up:

Sportsuser101
05-11-2005, 10:31 AM
WOO HOO! Honorable mention for Gary Baxter and Best Pick for Jeb Putzier. i'm happy. Good read, man! Nice job. :up:
Thanks.. 1st HM too. I had a tough time decided between McKenzie and Baxter but went with McKenzie because he was a #1 CB before and Baxter never was until now.

Devin
05-11-2005, 10:34 AM
F_L will have to get the best pick in round 35.

a 23 year old DE with 9 sacks, tremendous upside Jared Allen is a beast!

R. Rich
05-11-2005, 10:38 AM

Yeah he is. I remember reading up on him before last year's draft on Marty & Matt's website. They have the absolute best site for info on potential draft steals and he was one of their most highly touted players.

Sportsuser101
05-11-2005, 10:40 AM

Him and Tillman are defintely up there in Round 34.

Michael82
05-11-2005, 10:42 AM

yeah, but they just traded for Carlos Hall...didn't they?

Sportsuser101
05-11-2005, 10:47 AM
yeah, but they just traded for Carlos Hall...didn't they?
Yup. Allen is probably more of a passing situation player because of his lack of run defense which is why I think its a nice pick for the sim but not going to be that good in teh future.

Sabre Ally
05-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Round 28

Sleeper: Onterrio Smith; alot of upside for this guy and may get the starting job in Minnesota

..........sigh...............

Airport police find Vikings' Smith with kit to beat drug tests

By GREGG AAMOT, Associated Press Writer
May 11, 2005
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Vikings running back Onterrio Smith, who has a history of violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy, was briefly detained by airport police last month after they found an elaborate kit used to beat drug tests.

Police at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport questioned Smith on April 21 after a search of his bag discovered vials of white powder, according to a police report.

Smith told officers it was dried urine used in conjunction with a device called ``The Original Whizzinator,'' which he said was ``for making a clean urine test.'' In addition, he had a bottle of pills labeled ``cleansing formula.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vikings-smithdetained&prov=ap&type=lgns

L.A. Playa
05-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Onterrio Smith may not be a sleeper pick anymore http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanball-vikingssmithcaughtwi&prov=fanball&type=lgns

Devin
05-11-2005, 10:56 AM
ouch.

Sportsuser101
05-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Guess he's not a sleeper anymore lol.

Michael82
05-11-2005, 10:57 AM
..........sigh...............

Airport police find Vikings' Smith with kit to beat drug tests

By GREGG AAMOT, Associated Press Writer
May 11, 2005
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Vikings running back Onterrio Smith, who has a history of violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy, was briefly detained by airport police last month after they found an elaborate kit used to beat drug tests.

Police at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport questioned Smith on April 21 after a search of his bag discovered vials of white powder, according to a police report.

Smith told officers it was dried urine used in conjunction with a device called ``The Original Whizzinator,'' which he said was ``for making a clean urine test.'' In addition, he had a bottle of pills labeled ``cleansing formula.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vikings-smithdetained&prov=ap&type=lgns
:rofl:

Sabre Ally
05-11-2005, 12:24 PM
I don't know why he needed all that crap anyway. They have pills that will do the same thing, and they do work. :ontome:

:smoke:

The King
05-12-2005, 06:55 AM
The way I look at the the Klecko pick was diversity and youth. This was a guy that would not have been on the board 2 rounds later and he provides me with depth at about 3 positions. You cant beat that. Yea he was hurt last season but he is only 24. I saw nothing but value.

I know its just your opinion but I wanted to explain why I made the pick.

Sportsuser101
05-12-2005, 10:50 AM
The way I look at the the Klecko pick was diversity and youth. This was a guy that would not have been on the board 2 rounds later and he provides me with depth at about 3 positions. You cant beat that. Yea he was hurt last season but he is only 24. I saw nothing but value.

I know its just your opinion but I wanted to explain why I made the pick.
Thats cool. I like has versatility but I just don't think he is good at any of those positions. He is decent but I just don't think he's good. That and the fact that he was injured was the reason I made him a reach.