I'm officially starting the 2nd get Drew Bledose the hell out of Buffalo bandwagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Natrix
    • Jul 2002

I'm officially starting the 2nd get Drew Bledose the hell out of Buffalo bandwagon

not really...just wanted to get a rise out of you.

...but I am starting to have my doubts. I have been thinking back to when he was in NE: The Pats never scared me. I always thought that he was overrated. I was against him coming to Buffalo, but I supported him and was pleased with his play over the first few games. But what have you done for me lately?

Drew Bledose is obviously not in the category of the elite QBs in this league.

He is arguably the least mobile QB in the League. Who is the QB that the majority of people would choose If they were starting a franchise? Mike Vick, right? I know I would. So don't these two facts tell us something? Vick is obviously the most mobile QB in the league. Can you imagine what he could do with Henry, Moulds, Price, etc? Or Favre, or McNabb for that matter (There are other QBs better than Bledsoe but I just threw these names out because it seems like they lack some serious offensive weapons around them but are still successful)

...so that brings me to another knock on Bledsoe, he needs a solid unit around him in order to be successful. Ok fine, but, ummm, if we lose PP, this year could be the best offense he will ever have around him.

Don't get me wrong, he was our best option (for the immediate future anyway) and he is the first since JK, that we can actually label as a QB.

Although I still think WestBoast is a joke because he spends so much time on a BILLS board, I have to hand it to him though: His views of Bledsoe are looking pretty accurate (ie. he gets worse as the season goes on) even if he is biased, as are we. I think we need some assessments of Bledsoe from some Arizona fans or something.

Byrd.
  • BambinoSux
    Don't Throw It My Way
    • Aug 2002

I'd probably be real worried if we didn't have a balanced offense. Henry's one of the best RBs in the league this year and because of that (and our defense playing well for the 2nd or 3rd game this year) we were able to win without a great performance by Drew. I don't understand why there should be a mass exodus off the Drew bandwagon after a win. I think it's just plain silly.
    I don't believe in no damn curses.

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

We have a balance in talent on offense but a true balanced offense has a balance in play-calling as well...that's not what we have.
      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Hipp
        • Dec 2002

A Packer Fan Opinion (for what its worth)...

The Bills can definately win with Drew Bledsoe. He may lack the ability to carry a team for an entire season, like some of the other guys you mentioned but there are a whole lot of worse QBs starting in this league right now. Is he as good as his early season stats would indicate? Probably not. Is he as bad as his stats today would indicate? Definately not.

Comment

• The Natrix
          • Jul 2002

I agree about the play calling phil. KG + DB = one of the biggest egos I have ever seen.

Byrd.

Comment

• mackey789
            • Jul 2002

this post is bogus, some people can never find anything positive to talk about. Drew is a QUALITY QB who is probably top 5 in the league. I can remember jim kelly having some horrible games and look where he is now. Give the guy a freekin break, he had a bad game. This stuff pisses me off.

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
              Expert on Experts
              • Jul 2002

Drew is our guy, he's gonna have bad games. All qb's do. I dont understand all this get out of buffalo talk. He's a good starting QB. He's not going to have a great day every time out. Newsflash: neither is any other NFL qb. All qb's go through periods like drew has had the last couple games. Get over it.

Comment

• e-mo4life
                • Jul 2002

i totally agree mackey.....according to some ppl we should get rid of Drew , well then I guess we should get rid of Travis for fumbling, and Moulds, Price, Reed, etc for any passes they may have dropped....then what the h*ll do we do?!?!?
                Bleedin red white and DREW baby

Comment

• JayWood
                  The Professor
                  • Jul 2002

Iam sure we would have won 7 games with Van Pelt, or Travis Brown, or any rookie QB, or washed up free agent that we could have gotten. I agree this post is bogus. Drew has helped us a hell of a lot more than he has hurt us. Once again i wish people would think before they speak.
                  When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on tight!!!

Comment

• itsandthings
                    • Sep 2002

It is crystal clear for all but the blind homer:

First 6 games:

167-for-251 (66.5%), 2016 yds (8.03 yds/att), 14 TD (5.58 TD%), 5 Int (1.99 Int%), 101.3 QB Rating.

The team averaged 32.22 pts/gm in that stretch.

Last 8 games:

167-for-251 (57.2%), 1933 yds (6.62 yds/att), 9 TD (3.08 TD%), 8 Int (2.74 Int%), 76.2 QB Rating.

The team averaged 19.75 pts/gm in that stretch.

- Bledsoe was sacked at a greater rate in the first 6 games than the last 8, so his protection has actually improved.

- The Bills running game has actually been more productive as the season has progressed, so there is less pressure for Bledsoe to carry the team.

- In his prime with NE (1996-1999), Bledsoe was always a fast starter but played poorly down the stretch and absolutely dreadfully in the playoffs. He typically hasn't played well against good teams, but rather has padded his numbers with big performances against the league's dregs.

- Given his performance in recent years, it is far more likely that Bledsoe's early season performance was an aberration than to think he is slumping now. What you have watched over the last 8 games is the actual Drew Bledsoe, and that is while being surrounded by top offensive talent.

There is little doubt that Bledsoe is a class act who represents the team off-the-field in a professional, 1st-class way.

However, don't let that cloud the issue. The fact is, despite having a big arm and piling up yardage numbers, Bledsoe is an average QB who plays small in the big games, despite having a big-time arm. That has been the pattern his entire career.

The Bills should try to find a QB who can play a complementary game and build their offense around Travis Henry. Henry has improved tremendously since last year and has shown he is a franchise RB. If you are looking for the reason for Buffalo winning more games this year, it is more due to Henry than Bledsoe. Find a complementary QB and build the defense, and the team will be better off in the long run.

One guy the Bills should take a look at is New Orleans backup QB Jake Delhomme. He isn't real big, but he is athletic and has a nice arm and quick release. He has a lot of confidence and could be the next "surprise" QB to come from relative obscurity and make a big splash. He will be an unrestricted FA after this season. Remember his name.

Remember: Drew Bledsoe, great guy, but he isn't a great QB.

Comment

• TedMock
                      • Jul 2002

Bledsoe is a very good, capable qb. There's no reason to even discuss the possibilities of who else we can get. He needs quality around him and he's not mobile but he's better than most in the league. One player may carry a team for a game or two but there is NO player who carries a team for a season and definately not a successful team. Others need to step up and the Bills have several more pressing needs to worry about. Bledsoe's here for the next couple of years, get used to him, embrace him and support him. He's a Bill now.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

OK Wys wannabees.

To accuratly whine about the QB situation, you need to compare Bledsoe's 2 halves to the season to the rest of the league.

Offenses are like pitchers in baseball. First time around they have the advantage. Second time around the D has more film/experience to go on.

Also, had our schedule been reversed, with the tougher D's on the schedule early, this trend might be reversed.

The weather conditions also reek havoc on a passing game.

Can you name me more than 3-4 QBs in the league getting stronger at this point in the season?

Brad Johnson, TB comes to mind, Trent Green. Anybody else lighting the world on fire?

Why else do you think bookies are making a killing on the unders this time of year???

Comment

• itsandthings
                          • Sep 2002

You will find few QBs with such a dramatic drop-off in production. What's more, the running game has been there and his protection has been better, so he should be improving.

Bledsoe has always been a fast starter, but his numbers usually tail off. He is a poor playoff performer and an average QB. Henry is a top back and the offense should be built around him.

Comment

• lordofgun
                            in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by itsandthings
                            his protection has been better, so he should be improving.
                            You're kidding, right? Did you watch the same game I did yesterday? Sure, Drew made some mis-throws, but he had pressure in his face ALL DAY LONG. He threw quite a few balls away yesterday where he could have taken a sack, so the dropoffs in sacks can be misleading.

You're also forgetting the weather factor where much of the time he was throwing into a stiff wind due to terrible play-calling.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Jul 2002

Stupid Bellichek showed everyone that Drew is susceptible to the blitz up the gut.

BB EE

Comment

Working...
                              X