PDA

View Full Version : Bills contact Doug Brien's agent

Italian Stallion
05-12-2005, 07:49 AM
Bills | Spoke to Brien's Agent - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 12 May 2005 05:36:16 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports free agent PK Doug Brien (Jets) said his agent has spoken to the Buffalo Bills this offseason about signing Brien.

:fit: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

The King
05-12-2005, 07:53 AM
:wtf::curse:

Uncle Jesse
05-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Hey i'd take him over Lindell anyday, anything is better!

camelcowboy
05-12-2005, 08:09 AM
I thought we needed to upgrade the kicking postion. This has to be a joke. Bring steve christie back before we use Dougy the choker.

mybills
05-12-2005, 08:12 AM
Jeesh, he did pretty good all season. Let's hope he learned something from those pressure games, like how not to miss when he's under it.
(that is, IF we get him) :snicker:

Jan Reimers
05-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Hey i'd take him over Lindell anyday, anything is better!
Did you watch the last Jets' playoff game?

The Spaz
05-12-2005, 08:15 AM
Did you watch the last Jets' playoff game?

Well we could have been in the playoffs if it weren't for a few of Lindell's kicks.

OpIv37
05-12-2005, 08:18 AM
I think Doug Brien has slightly better distance than Lindell but he's just as bad or worse in clutch situations. Again, I'm glad they're doing something about the K position, but Doug Brien is at best a lateral move- IMO, he doesn't add any talent or confidence to the kicking game. I never thought I'd say this, but I'd rather have Lindell. At least he's used to working with our holder and kickoff coverage teams.

The King
05-12-2005, 08:21 AM
I think Doug Brien has slightly better distance than Lindell but he's just as bad or worse in clutch situations. Again, I'm glad they're doing something about the K position, but Doug Brien is at best a lateral move- IMO, he doesn't add any talent or confidence to the kicking game. I never thought I'd say this, but I'd rather have Lindell. At least he's used to working with our holder and kickoff coverage teams.

Good Point.

Gunzlingr
05-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Doug Brien sucks! He couldn't even make it with the Vikings, and they are a dome team!

Jan Reimers
05-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Well we could have been in the playoffs if it weren't for a few of Lindell's kicks.
Or Nate's bonehead play in game 1, or that botched play against NE, or that holding penalty...

And I guess that miss against the Steelers caused the defense to give up a 50 yard run to a practice squad RB.

Look, I'm not a big Lindell fan, either, but I think he was one of the least of our problems last year.

That being said, let's bring Brien in and let him and Lindell and all the other guys compete for the job.

Tatonka
05-12-2005, 08:29 AM
the people that want brien over lindell are just being driven by pure hatred.. because any logical person would not want to see a guy that clearly not good in the clutch as our new kicker.

BillsFan-N-AZ
05-12-2005, 08:43 AM

My thoughts exactly!!!!! :peace:

don137
05-12-2005, 09:05 AM
That's like replacing Jay Fielder with AJ Feeley (without being stupid enough to give up a 2nd round pick)....

Bulldog
05-12-2005, 09:09 AM
the people that want brien over lindell are just being driven by pure hatred.. because any logical person would not want to see a guy that clearly not good in the clutch as our new kicker.

I'm not saying that Brien is the answer. But to have a kicker on the roster who makes most people nervous on anything 35 yds and out isn't a good situation. With the competitive balance in the NFL, having a reliable kicker could be enough to seperate you from the rest of the pack. I don't know about you, but the thought of Lindell lining up for a field goal with the balance of the game relying on his leg, makes me physically ill. I don't know what the answer is, but clearly someone needs to be brought in to give Lindell the push he so desperately needs.

djjimkelly
05-12-2005, 09:39 AM
i dont think brien is a bad choice at all. if all of us remember he hit a pretty clutch kick agst us at the end of the road game vs the jets i believe week 3 or 4 that kick can be viewed as reason bills not in playoffs and jets in! anything at this point is an upgrade over lindell. lindell missed like a 20 yarder vs pitt and if we all remember that is the point where the whole game changed

JefftheBillsfan
05-12-2005, 09:46 AM
i'm ok with a little competition. i honestly dont think lindell is as bad as he has looked his first 2 years however. someone made the point earlier, if they are both even, and i think its pretty close, then stay with Lindell because hes been around and knows the system and the players. but maybe a little competition for a job can simulate some of the pressure situations that either may face later on in the season.

Bulldog
05-12-2005, 09:48 AM
i dont think brien is a bad choice at all. if all of us remember he hit a pretty clutch kick agst us at the end of the road game vs the jets i believe week 3 or 4 that kick can be viewed as reason bills not in playoffs and jets in! anything at this point is an upgrade over lindell. lindell missed like a 20 yarder vs pitt and if we all remember that is the point where the whole game changed

Lindell put up decent numbers last year. Kickers are going to miss some kicks they should make and will occasionally hit some they probably shouldn't. My whole problem is the fact that on a number of occasions the coaching staff showed no faith in Lindell that he could make a kick and often decided to punt in an effort to gain field position. Any time you have an opportunity to put some points on the board, you need to take advantage of that. With the exception of a few teams, the talent level across the NFL is so close that teams simply cannot afford to pass on opportunities to score.

Ed
05-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Isn't Lindels cap number like 1.1 million a year or so for the next couple years? If Brien and Lindell are equal, I'd rather offer him vet minimum and give him a chance to beat out Lindell.

I don't really know anything about Brien. The only kicks I can remember him taking are the ones that have been mentioned. The one that beat us in NY and his two misses in the playoff game against Pitt. I'd really like to see someone other then Lindell though.

I thought the whole reason we brought lindell in was because he had a stronger leg then Hollis and whoever else we could have brought in. But I never see any of our kickoffs reach the endzone and we never try any long FGs. I guess we could give him another year, but he just seems like such a liability right now.

camelcowboy
05-12-2005, 10:45 AM
That's like replacing Jay Fielder with AJ Feeley (without being stupid enough to give up a 2nd round pick)....
:up: agreed

Typ0
05-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Or Nate's bonehead play in game 1, or that botched play against NE, or that holding penalty...

And I guess that miss against the Steelers caused the defense to give up a 50 yard run to a practice squad RB.

Look, I'm not a big Lindell fan, either, but I think he was one of the least of our problems last year.

That being said, let's bring Brien in and let him and Lindell and all the other guys compete for the job.

with someone who can get better distance on kickoffs we would gain 1000 yards in field position over the course of the season. I think Lindell was a major problem for us last season...his kick-offs are short and low. If he's below average on kickoffs and just average on field goals he's not worth the roster spot. We can do better.

TedMock
05-12-2005, 11:49 AM
with someone who can get better distance on kickoffs we would gain 1000 yards in field position over the course of the season.

Agreed. I'm a little confused about Brien though. Technically he finished 2nd in the NFL in KO avg. (66.3 yds) versus Lindell who finished 42nd amongst "kickoff kickers" with a 58.3 yard average. However, Lindell kicked off 83 times to Briens 3! Yes, I said 3. Toby Gowin booted 76 times for the jets. Overall % ? Lindell actually wins by 3% (85.7 vs. 82.8). Here's the interesting part.....

Lindell 20-29 yards 30-39 40-49 50+
13/14 92.9% 10/11 90.9% 1/3 33.3% ZERO attempts

Brien 9/10 90% 4/6 66.7% 10/11 90.9% 1/2 50%

Neither guy attempted one under 20 yards. So, the question is: Where would you prefer the accuracy?

djjimkelly
05-12-2005, 11:55 AM
40-49 brien seems to be a lock 90% considering our guy only hit 33% its an upgrade not a homerun upgrade but an upgrade

ShadowHawk7
05-12-2005, 11:56 AM

Or those atrocious calls in the Raider game... :cynic:

Mahdi
05-12-2005, 12:04 PM
40-49 brien seems to be a lock 90% considering our guy only hit 33% its an upgrade not a homerun upgrade but an upgrade
Agreed. Even if you consider his last four years he is a terrible 48% bet 40-49. Whereas Brien is 83%....a definite upgrade.

finsrclowns
05-12-2005, 12:07 PM

Yeah it's ridiculous. At least Lindell can make a 28 yarder with the season on the line...... :shutup:

Drive 4 Five
05-12-2005, 12:19 PM

:goodpost:

Nice... :funny:

Drive 4 Five
05-12-2005, 12:24 PM
I dunno. Why would we replace one sorry ass kicker with another? I'll bet Brian Moorman is better than both of these jackasses. I say dangle a fat ass bonus in front of Brain and let him try.

Iehoshua
05-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Exactly. Just say 'no' to Doug!

jamze132
05-12-2005, 01:59 PM

A horses ass could beat out Lindel for the job.

BleedinGreenNC
05-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Hey i'd take him over Lindell anyday, anything is better! Overall he was a good kicker for us, but i think that it's pretty bad that he was judged over two kicks in the playoffs. Was i pissed that he missed the kicks? Hell yeah! Did i know that he was going to miss them? Hell yeah! I sat there before he kicked each one and told my girlfriend, he is going to miss the kick, and sure enough, he missed. But, he may prosper with you guys if you sign him. Good luck with him if you do sign him.

Kolbiss
05-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Overall he was a good kicker for us, but i think that it's pretty bad that he was judged over two kicks in the playoffs. Was i pissed that he missed the kicks? Hell yeah! Did i know that he was going to miss them? Hell yeah! I sat there before he kicked each one and told my girlfriend, he is going to miss the kick, and sure enough, he missed. But, he may prosper with you guys if you sign him. Good luck with him if you do sign him.

Its so nice to see a post from an opposing teams fan that doesnt suck.....teach feelthepain how to do this!

BleedinGreenNC
05-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Its so nice to see a post from an opposing teams fan that doesnt suck.....teach feelthepain how to do this!I look at it this way, why should i come over here and start bashing your team? Now don't get me wrong, i do go over to Finheaven and talk crap with the fin fans, but i don't have anything against the Bills. I just cant stand the Dolphins, not saying that i dislike their fans, i just don't like the team. What i was trying to say was that would i want other fans coming over to our site and just running their mouth? Thats why i try to come over here with respect.

Mahdi
05-12-2005, 03:25 PM
Bears signed Brien.

Bills 4 life
05-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Brien is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than Lindell!

But I'd be very unhappy if we settled on him.
Lindell has no shot making a 40+ yd FG. MM wouldnt even let him attempt one. Brien is a lot better then Lindell there.

Bills 4 life
05-12-2005, 10:47 PM
how did TD sign this guy to a Multi-yr contract anywaysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss? and for maddddd loot!

LtFinFan66
05-13-2005, 01:42 AM
Guess you will be looking elsewhere or keeping your current guy: http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CHI/8467012