PDA

View Full Version : Should The Bills Take This Guy?

LifetimeBillsFan
05-12-2005, 08:28 AM
With R.Edwards entering his FA year, S.Adams getting older and the Bills not drafting a DT in this year's draft, I'm wondering if they might be interested in spending a 2nd or 3rd rounder to get this guy in the supplemental draft:

"Southern Cal defensive tackle Manuel Wright announced Wednesday he is leaving school and will apply to enter the NFL through a supplemental draft.

Wright, a 6-foot-6, 300-pound junior, played two seasons as a backup on a Trojan defensive line that had a first- and second-round defensive tackle. Mike Patterson went to the Eagles in the first round; Shaun Cody went to the Lions in the second round. Despite their presence, Wright saw his playing time increase each season."
(URL:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2058341&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2058341&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233))

As one of the top DT prospects, he is likely to be a 1st or 2nd round pick in next year's draft, so getting him with a 2nd or 3rd rounder would be a bargain, and taking him now would give him a year to work his way into the Bills' DT rotation--in much the same way that T.Anderson has been given a year to do so. He would probably have more to offer, long-term, than J.Bannan or L.Sape.

Thoughts?

Tatonka
05-12-2005, 08:30 AM
i dont know enough about him to say.. but he obviously had alot of talent in front of him and still got some playing time.. that is a good sign.

Jan Reimers
05-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Why give up a pick when we already have Adams, Edwards, Anderson, Bannan, Sape, the UDFA from Cal, and the incomparable LaWaylon (Jennings) Brown?

Dicknoze69
05-12-2005, 08:43 AM
If we can give up a 3rd or lower to get him, I'd do it. I think a team will spend a 2nd to get him however.

ShadowHawk7
05-12-2005, 11:45 AM
What is the supplemental draft? Why didn't he just enter the normal draft? :scratch:

justasportsfan
05-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Is Anderson a wasted pick?

Jan Reimers
05-12-2005, 03:52 PM
No way. I think Krumrie really likes the guy.

jamze132
05-12-2005, 05:03 PM
What is the supplemental draft? Why didn't he just enter the normal draft? :scratch:
It's kind of like Afflac, supplimental insurance. When you miss work, it doesn't hurt to miss work.

ShadowHawk7
05-12-2005, 05:26 PM
:wtf:

BuffaloRanger
05-12-2005, 06:34 PM
This guy would be a project. He didn't start in college. Draft him now and by the time he is ready to play in a couple years, Adams will be gone, Edwards will be gone (esp if he has a great year) so you have Anderson and Wright as your DTs potentially. That could work out nicely.

But...doesn't TD have the rep of not liking underclassmen. THis guy is an underclassman and a back-up. I don't think TD picks this guy inthe supp draft. He's saving that 3rd rd pick next year for another TE. LOL

LifetimeBillsFan
05-12-2005, 11:18 PM
I couldn't find any specifics on what the eligibility requirements for the supplemental draft are, but the NFL has a procedure by which players who may not be eligible for the draft, but have special circumstances that may have kept them from being eligible or who are eligible under the league's 3 year rule, but who did not apply for the draft in time (Jan) are allowed to apply for inclusion in a supplimental draft that generally occurs sometime in June. As I understand it, players who would qualify under the three year rule, but whose birthdates fall just short of making them eligible for the draft and multi-sport athletes who have taken time off to play another sport professionally and were eligible for the draft but did not apply for inclusion are amongst the players who can apply for inclusion in the supplimental draft.

The rules of the supplimental draft are a little different than the regular draft: A three step drawing takes place--1.) Teams that won six or fewer games in the prior regular season are placed together in a container and drawn to determine the initial arrangement of places in the selection order; 2. The remaining non-playoff teams are placed together in a container and drawn to determine their places following those determined in the first drawing; 3. Playoff teams are placed together in a container and drawn to determine the remaining places in the selection order.

Teams selecting a player in the supplimental draft lose their draft pick in the corresponding round of the following year's draft (ie. If you take a player in the 3rd round of the supplimental draft, you lose your 3rd round pick in the next draft).

No. Krumrie not only seems to like him, but he also seems to like to give his young D-linemen a year to learn and get their feet wet without getting a lot of playing time before throwing them into the fire (he did this with Kelsay, too). Anderson was a major player on the tough Ohio St. defense that won the national championship and should develop into a decent player for the Bills--they would certainly not give up on him at this stage. I was suggesting this as a possibility to develop a player for the future.

This guy would be a project. He didn't start in college. Draft him now and by the time he is ready to play in a couple years, Adams will be gone, Edwards will be gone (esp if he has a great year) so you have Anderson and Wright as your DTs potentially. That could work out nicely.

But...doesn't TD have the rep of not liking underclassmen. THis guy is an underclassman and a back-up. I don't think TD picks this guy inthe supp draft. He's saving that 3rd rd pick next year for another TE. LOL
This is precisely why I was thinking that he might be someone that the Bills might be interested in. TD may not be big on underclassmen, but, given that Krumrie doesn't rush his young D-linemen into the line-up, it would be a little like taking JP last year in order to give him a year to get his feet wet before expecting him to compete for a spot on the field. While you can say that Wright was a back-up, he was a back-up to two All-American DTs--one taken in the 1st Round and the other in the 2nd--who saw a lot of playing time andperformed well enough to be considered one of the top DT prospects for next year before entering the supplimental draft. Were he to stay in school another year, he might be a 1st or 2nd rounder that the Bills might not have a shot at getting if they were to have a decent season. Here they might be able to get him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder--I doubt he will last until they pick in the 4th--and have him ready to play for them in a year or two, when S.Adams' age may begin to catch up with him.

SoCalBillsFan
05-13-2005, 03:21 PM
I know a great deal about Wright...he is a PLAYER. Extremely athletic for his size. The only reason he didn't start is because he was behind two all Americans-Shaun Cody and Mike Patterson. He is probably more talented than either but was also 2 years younger, so the three rotated a lot.

The knock on him is injuries-he's been hobbled by sprained ankles the past 2 seasons.

All in all, this guy is a first round talent. I'm not saying that because he's from SC, he really is agile for being over 300 pounds, and he's very strong too. He is a playmaker. I think it would definately be worth a third round pick. Maybe even a second.

SoCalBillsFan
05-13-2005, 03:27 PM
By the way, he ran a 4.8 40 coming in as a freshman, that was at about 300 pounds. He played at about 330 last year, so he might be a tad slower. He's also 6'6''.

pleasesavedrew
05-13-2005, 09:46 PM
I think he could end up replacin pat williams

TigerJ
05-14-2005, 10:06 AM

He has academic troubles and appeared he was going to lose his academic eligiblity for next fall. These problems did not develop until after he would have had to declare for the draft this year. Supposedly he has excellent athleticism and speed, and the frame to add a lot more weight. That give him upside. You have to be careful not to overpay in the supplemental draft. Whatever pick you use is forfeited in next year's draft.

Dozerdog
05-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Stuff likre this bothers me. If he has any talent- he would find a way to pass basket weaving and bowling classes.

I wouldn't spend anything higher than a 4th or 5th round pick on him at most.

SoCalBillsFan
05-14-2005, 07:51 PM
He also had academic troubles out of high school and had to sit ot a year before he qualified. ere's no question he's dumb as a rock, but he's a good player...