X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Canadian'eh!
    • Mar 2004

Cut Mike Williams?

ok... maybe that's not a great option... but 9 million cap hit for a good, not great, RT????? WTF?

How did this happen? Why would we sign a high 1st round pick to not only such an expensive deal, but one that gave us not easy way out later on? even if we cut him june 1 it's a 5+ mill hit.
  • wchutalkinboutwillis
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
    ok... maybe that's not a great option... but 9 million cap hit for a good, not great, RT????? WTF?

How did this happen? Why would we sign a high 1st round pick to not only such an expensive deal, but one that gave us not easy way out later on? even if we cut him june 1 it's a 5+ mill hit.
    His contract is going to be restructured. Eh? I'd be suprised if the Bills organ-I-zation doesn't get it done. You're right. Right now, he's average to good at best but I think this year is a break-out year for MW. Important we get him a restructured deal or he'll be history when his contract is up.

"If I had my way, I'd shuffle off to Buffalo. Sit by the lake and watch the world go by." Fogerty

Comment

• venis2k1
      Youboty can hope
      • Jul 2002

first of all, we signed mike williams to "such an expensive deal" because he was the 4th overall draft pick. i dont know the numbers but i betcha he got less than joey harrington and more than whoever was picked at #5(Quintin Jammer?) thats how it works, tds hands were tied. anyone recall that Bryant mikinnie held out for weeks into the season because he was offered less money than the player picked behind him?

TD has to see mike williams as his "ace in the hole". why hasnt he restructured MWs deal? because he didnt need the money. if Mcnally says he cant live without someone like Kyle Turley at LT (just a hypothetical, i dont want to hear it) who is expected to be cut june 1st, TD can get it done.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
        short bus extraordinaire
        • Jul 2002

there's no way we cut mike williams.there's always re-structuring a contract.
        Originally posted by yordad
        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
          Expert on Experts
          • Jul 2002

The line needs additions, not subtractions.

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

high 1st round picks get market value. Mike Williams received Market value for being #4 overall. His contract was backloaded with incentive bonuses which esculated the final years of his contract.

Cutting him is not an option which is why MW agreed to the heavily backloaded contract. As long as he started and /or played in so many games he was guarenteed the rest of his market value #4 overall pick monetary value.

If we were going to cut MW we should of done in in Feburary when those esculators were not exercised, but that wouldn't have been a wise decision.

Comment

• wchutalkinboutwillis
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
              high 1st round picks get market value. Mike Williams received Market value for being #4 overall. His contract was backloaded with incentive bonuses which esculated the final years of his contract.

Cutting him is not an option which is why MW agreed to the heavily backloaded contract. As long as he started and /or played in so many games he was guarenteed the rest of his market value #4 overall pick monetary value.

If we were going to cut MW we should of done in in Feburary when those esculators were not exercised, but that wouldn't have been a wise decision.
              Exactly. It's all about history. That's one of the reasons why T.O. is such a whining baby. Mushin Muhammed got 15mm guaranteed from the Bears so now T.O. is holding out because he didn't get that much in guarantee money. It's all about who's making what and who thinks he's better than whom? We can go on and on about how T.O. is a better player but a contract is a contract. Thank god for the cap. If it goes away, the NFL will get ugly.

"If I had my way, I'd shuffle off to Buffalo. Sit by the lake and watch the world go by." Fogerty

Comment

• Pats Cheated
                • May 2005

"Thank god for the cap. If it goes away, the NFL will get ugly."

Is that a white elephant in the room? I understand there's a collective bargaining agreement to be made sometime soon?
                Hammertime is when you start hitting that nail with the hammer and you keep on hittin that nail until you can't see the nail any more and its just wood and its all splintered and broke and then you just keep on hittin at the nail.

- Bruce Smith #78

Comment

• wchutalkinboutwillis
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Pats Cheated
                  "Thank god for the cap. If it goes away, the NFL will get ugly."

Is that a white elephant in the room? I understand there's a collective bargaining agreement to be made sometime soon?
                  The CBA is up in 2007. Snyder and Jones have the support of 8 teams, big market teams of course. Their goal is to defeat the cap as we know it so they can buy any player that they'd like. If no agreement is reached, then 2007 is played as an uncapped season. Mayhem would ensue. Fortunately or unfortunately, 24 owners are needed to pass NFL legislation.
                  I'm not sure NFL fans understand the importance of these negotiations. Small market teams will be dependent on mid-market teams like Pittsburgh and Cleveland to remain in their corner. Cleveland is surprisingly a very profitable (top 10) team. This may sway them to the side of darkness and evil.
                  Negotiations went nowhere during the Pro-Bowl in Hawaii. We need Ralph to use his small market power and campaign heavily. I personally think we'll see a similar CBA to what we have right now. It has been effective for the majority of the league and it has really only failed those teams that have lousy fan support.

Comment

• buffalofan19
                    God's gift to the Zone
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by wchutalkinboutwillis
                    If no agreement is reached, then 2007 is played as an uncapped season. Mayhem would ensue.

I'm not sure NFL fans understand the importance of these negotiations. Small market teams will be dependent on mid-market teams like Pittsburgh and Cleveland to remain in their corner.
                    Oh believe me, NFL fans do understand the importance of these negotiations, especially in Buffalo. Its other professional franchise's league is undergoing the mayhem that would ensue because I cap is not agreed upon.
                    Penguins at Sabres Highlight Video 10/10/05
                    Sabres at Lightning Highlight Video 10/13/05
                    Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 10/20/05
                    Rangers at Sabres Highlight Video 10/22/05
                    Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 10/29/05
                    Maple Leafs at Sabres Highlight Video 11/11/05
                    Devils at Sabres Highlight Video 11/15/05
                    Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 11/19/05
                    Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 11/23/05
                    Canadiens at Sabres Highlight Video 11/25/05

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                      • Mar 2004

I fully realize the market sets the value.... but i woudl have expected TD to be a bit more creative than this at the time.... I'd rather pay the upfront money and have an out after 3-4 years in case the guy doesn't work out...

I expected MW to have a breakout year a few years ago... I've given up that pipedream.

the bottom line is he is amke ELITE LT money as an above average RT..... I hear nothing about him ever making the move now.... too much money for a RT is basically the point of my post.

Comment

• wchutalkinboutwillis
                        • Mar 2005

I fully realize the market sets the value.... but i woudl have expected TD to be a bit more creative than this at the time.... I'd rather pay the upfront money and have an out after 3-4 years in case the guy doesn't work out...

I expected MW to have a breakout year a few years ago... I've given up that pipedream.

the bottom line is he is amke ELITE LT money as an above average RT..... I hear nothing about him ever making the move now.... too much money for a RT is basically the point of my post.
                        I agree that it's been tough to watch MW at times. But he's shown steady improvement, and as I've stated before, Olineman, especially tackles, take a long time to develop. Many don't reach their prime until their late 20's. Granted, given what their paid, every number 4 overall OL pick should come out of the gates like Orlando Pace but I believe that patience is critical at this position. McNally is the key to making MW live up to his expectations. Don't forget, there is no longer a statue waiting between the hash marks. This will alleviate a lot of pressure as Mularkey and Clements will maximize JP's mobility to minimize sacks.

Comment

• wchutalkinboutwillis
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by buffalofan19
                          Oh believe me, NFL fans do understand the importance of these negotiations, especially in Buffalo. Its other professional franchise's league is undergoing the mayhem that would ensue because I cap is not agreed upon.
                          Right on. So what is your opinion on where the NFL will be in 2007? Do pigs like Snyder and Jones rule the league? Or, do we extend the current CBA which has been extremely effective? The answer should be simple but money means power and power will be abused. Do Snyder and Jones sway those on the fence with political favors?
                          I haven't seen much on this topic in The Zone. It can only help if the fans unite on the subject. It's not a democracy but most owners understand and respect the input of thier fans as a whole.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Comment

• wchutalkinboutwillis
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by clumping platelets

Comment

Working...
                              X