PDA

View Full Version : Titans offering a 5th for Henry...

Ickybaluky
05-14-2005, 11:13 AM
Per the Nashville Tennessean (http://www.tennessean.com/sports/titans/archives/05/03/69479645.shtml?Element_ID=69479645):

Titans keeping eye on Henry: The Bills continue to hold on to disgruntled running back Travis Henry, and the Titans are among the teams who would trade for him if the deal is right.

The Titans and Bills discussed a trade for Henry during the NFL Draft, and General Manager Floyd Reese and Bills GM Tom Donohoe have had some dialogue since.

''My gut is I think if they can't get what they were looking for during the draft, then I am almost thinking they are going to keep him,'' Reese said. ''But I don't know that.''

Reese said the Bills initially wanted a second- or third- round pick. Reese said the Titans offered the Bills a fifth-round pick and the Bills balked.

Would the Titans still take in Henry, a former University of Tennessee star?

''If I can get him at a decent price, yeah,'' Reese said.

OpIv37
05-14-2005, 11:18 AM
a second is too much but a 3rd is too little. This is a guy who started 2 of his 4 seasons in the NFL and had over 1400 yards each week. He's no Corey Dillon, but he will consistently run hard and produce every week- that's worth more than a 5th, even with injuries taken into account.

The King
05-14-2005, 11:22 AM
I hold him for a 3rd the whole way. How many times was Willis slow to get up last year, we need value for Henry and we need a replacement.

The_Philster
05-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Kinda misleading with the title...the Titans offered that and we balked. We don't know what they are offering now. Now that we picked up Lee and a lot of teams have filled some needs via the draft, maybe they aren't even willing to offer the 5th

ShadowHawk7
05-14-2005, 11:35 AM
3rd or we keep him. Period. The only exception would be if it was a conditional 4th, that could go 2nd, if he did well.

Dr. Lecter
05-14-2005, 11:56 AM
A one dimensional back (who has one year left on his contract) with an injury history that has taken a bunch of hard hits is not worth a 2nd and a 3rd is stretching it.

I really think many Bills fans are over-valueing TH.

G. Host
05-14-2005, 12:06 PM
I agree because he is in his last year of his contract. There is no guarentee he will fit into a new system on a new team and he still wants to be the undisputed starter. A team could trade for him and he could do a TO and have a fit.

Personally if I was a GM I would not trade for him despite his previous performance - too much of a headache.

jpdex12
05-14-2005, 01:53 PM
I agree because he is in his last year of his contract. There is no guarentee he will fit into a new system on a new team and he still wants to be the undisputed starter. A team could trade for him and he could do a TO and have a fit.

Personally if I was a GM I would not trade for him despite his previous performance - too much of a headache.
If a team was to trade us a 4th round pick now with a conditional agreement that we would get a third instead based on performance would be fair IMO.

generalmills
05-14-2005, 02:05 PM
anything less than a 3rd is not acceptable. I would rather force TH to sit out and lose all that money than to have an extra 5th rounder in next years draft. Call me vendictive and childish but I think it funny what is happening to Travis.

Typ0
05-14-2005, 02:12 PM
it's not that funny...it's realistic. His best days are behind him is all there is to it.

Ickybaluky
05-14-2005, 02:32 PM
I think Henry has good value to the right team. A team like Arizona or Minnesota that likes to go three wide and spread the team vertically is a good fit for Henry. I don't think he is a power-running type back, but he excels in spread sets.

The fact is Henry could bring a team like Arizona or Minnesota balance in their offense. He may have had past questions with fumbles, but balance is the key to that type of offense.

Of course, other teams I don't see him having much value, because he isn't as good a fit.

mysticsoto
05-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Personally, I think a 5th is an insult to TH. He has been a warrior and played hard behind a weak O-line and still did well. I think we should keep a close eye on Oakland. Lamont may end up being a dud. Yeah, he's looked good a few times, but he's never had to play a whole season and if he goes down, the Raiders have crap for backup. Travis is cheap and even a renegotiation would probably be cheap for the Raiders. Travis isn't greedy in terms of money - he just wants to play...if I were the Raiders, I'd bring him in and tell him he's got to compete with Jordan for the job - then the winner gets to start and you have a good backup. Yeah, he may or may not necessarily start - but atleast he'll have competed for the position and if he loses out - shouldn't be angry...

ShadowHawk7
05-14-2005, 03:16 PM
it's not that funny...it's realistic. His best days are behind him is all there is to it.
I doubt that.

Dr. Lecter
05-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Why?

The average running back last for about 4 years. Henry runs a tough physical style and takes a nasty beating. He has had injuries the last two years to his lower leg.

I think he only has a couple of years left, if that.

Mr. Cynical
05-14-2005, 03:41 PM
He's nowhere near the end of his career. If he gets behind a good oline so that he doesn't have to go head first into 350lb DTs every snap, I can see him playing for another 5 years. He's worth a 3rd, but I'd take a conditional 4th with it becoming a 3rd if he reaches certain goals.

Jan Reimers
05-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Travis will be worth far more to us backing up WM than a 5th rounder next year. I think we'll get a 3rd, perhaps from Jacksonville, where Freddy Taylor is a real question mark.

I wouldn't trade Travis just to get rid of him.

Bill Brasky
05-14-2005, 04:00 PM
this sounds like the schmucks I'm dealing with in my fantasty leagues... they all want to rip you off in trades.

a 5th for Henry? What a joke.

pleasesavedrew
05-14-2005, 06:05 PM
I know theres potential star talent all over any draft board, but id rather have the leagues best back up running back than an extra 5th rounder. especailly with mcgahees knee troubles. He had to leave almost every game last for

Oaklandraider
05-14-2005, 06:58 PM
That would be a stupid trade henry is not that bad of a back you should at the least get a second for him!!

HAMMER
05-14-2005, 08:42 PM
A one dimensional back (who has one year left on his contract) with an injury history that has taken a bunch of hard hits is not worth a 2nd and a 3rd is stretching it.

You're nuts, I have watched this game since I was knee high to a grasshopper and I know running back talent. Travis Henry is a very good RB, very good. His value has slipped only because the draft was rich in RB talent. How on God's green earth can you discount his abilities? He ran for 1,300+ yds. twice in four seasons, and that was with injuries and a horrible OC. He will be very fresh this season, he will have a fantastic year if given the opportunity to start on a decent team. How quickly people forget, what a shame. :respect:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Let me ask you guys this :question: do you think if he scores that TD in the Oakland game last season (basically he did after further review :lol:) would we still be having this discussion? I think that's where the trouble began for Travis Henry last yr. I'm not taking anything away from Willis. But just say what if :question:

frank74
05-14-2005, 08:50 PM
You're nuts, I have watched this game since I was knee high to a grasshopper and I know running back talent. Travis Henry is a very good RB, very good. His value has slipped only because the draft was rich in RB talent. How on God's green earth can you discount his abilities? He ran for 1,300+ yds. twice in four seasons, and that was with injuries and a horrible OC. He will be very fresh this season, he will have a fantastic year if given the opportunity to start on a decent team. How quickly people forget, what a shame. :respect:
agreed, the problem is that everyone is so high on McGahee who hasn't even played an entire season yet. I'll never forget what Henry did for this team and what he still has the potential to do for others. I would say a 2nd round, to hell with a 3rd or anything higher.

Meathead
05-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Henry is the most disrespected star back since when Stephen Davis was languishing with the Skins.

I have a feeling Travis is gonna rip it up for somebody this year. I just hope it isn't the Bills cuz that means something bad happens with Willis.

HAMMER
05-14-2005, 08:57 PM
What will the naysayers be saying if Donahoe takes a 4th for Henry, then McGahee gets hurt and the Bills tank. Great, we have a extra 3rd or 4th next year but no running game? Please, this is just stupid talk. He will show up when it is time to get paid, everyone, including his mom, his agent, even his underage girlfriends know he needs to play this year or it will kill his career.

HAMMER
05-14-2005, 08:59 PM

Says who? Why is that the case?

Dr. Lecter
05-14-2005, 09:15 PM
It is not about what he did for the Bills, because he was great for a couple of seasons. (And I have watched the game for many years as well.) It is about what he can do now. Tell me if these facts are true about TH:

1. He does not have breakaway speed.
2. He runs a very physical style, taking many hits while doing so.
3. He has had injuries the last few seasons. Including lower leg injuries, that are the worst for a RB.
4. He is a horrible blocker.
5. He is, at best, and average receiver.
6. He only has one year left on his contract.

He was great for a few seasons. Last year he was starting to look old and like he had lost half a step.

Turf
05-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Trading TH for anything less than 2nd is giving him away. How many 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounders are strarting for us now?
Bad move. Make him play or sit.

Dr. Lecter
05-14-2005, 09:27 PM
Travis is not starting either.

If the Bills don't trade him, he leaves next year and the team gets nothing in return. In addition, they get to have a malcontent on the team the entire season.

Get a 4th for him.

Typ0
05-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Says who? Why is that the case?

because I have watched his career. I don't claim to be an "expert" but I know enough to have my own opionions...here is why I think this way:

1) TH has taken a beating on this team. He was put in a bad situation and did decent...but he also did decent because he had a lot of carries.

2) every season he was a featured back here he has had an injury. Yeah it's great to be all excited because he played through a broken leg...but what does that really mean to the rest of his career?

3) He sucked last season. I don't care about the attitude that it was because McGahee was here and he was pissed...that's just another reason he's not going to make it long term as a professional. TH got within 1 yard of a defensive lineman last season and he fell down. If it's mental...then another team is going to bear the burden of turning that around? If it's physical then they can't turn it around. Look at the risk involved with bringing him in as a featured back just to try and get over his "mental" problems.

4) He is a one dimensional runner...and the dimension he has is rarely treated to long-term success in the NFL. If there is any position in the NFL that a young player has a great chance of making an impact it's RB. TH came into the league with young legs with a "bowling ball" style. We loved it for the first couple seasons. But he has a few seasons behind him and is he really going to be able to keep that up as he slows down? Maybe he would...but his injuries are going to slow him down that much more.

as a stop gap measure...maybe TH can look good on a team...but I just don't see him ever being a significant impact player in the NFL going forward. EVERY team wants to win and I don't think they are going to barter big to get TH on their team because the risk is far to high that he will be a dud at this point. Our best chance to get value out of him is another RB gets injured in TC and that team is desparate enough to take the chance that he can get the job done.

Oaklandraider
05-14-2005, 09:53 PM
I think they should just keep him as a change of pace back so there is always some fresh legs.

Typ0
05-14-2005, 10:00 PM
I think they should just keep him as a change of pace back so there is always some fresh legs.

for whatever reason that did not work last season and it's a shame. TH, if he plays the way he did the first couple seasons, is a GREAT back to have that can go in there and get a couple of tough yards. But the film will clearly state that he was not getting those yards last season. If the problem is mental...then that's something TH has to overcome not the team he plays on...and if it's physical there's nothing left that needs to be said. I don't see TH saying "OK...I had a bit of an attitude problem and I will get it done this season". If it is a mental problem it pisses me off even more...because I have a great appreciation for the guys that aren't the "big" stars but can come in and do what needs to be done to help the team win. Those guys are the real professionals. TH has not displayed he's in that league...and he's no Barry Sanders so he sould keep his trap shut and play as hard as he can.

Tatonka
05-14-2005, 10:04 PM
i think henry is good.. and will be good for a while on the right team.

Bills 4 life
05-14-2005, 10:20 PM

WHAT INJURY HISTORY?

He plays hurt! And if we didnt have Willis last yr I bet he woulda played. just like every other yr we've had em.

Turf
05-14-2005, 10:26 PM
I've got to agree with Typo about him being a one dimensional runner.
And no one can say that Travis never got a chance.
Another failed draft pick.

TigerJ
05-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Buffalo might as well give him away as to take a fifth.

Dr. Lecter
05-14-2005, 10:48 PM
WHAT INJURY HISTORY?

He plays hurt! And if we didnt have Willis last yr I bet he woulda played. just like every other yr we've had em.
He has been hurt the last two seasons. And they have been leg injuries. Does he try to play through his injuries? Yes. But there is only so much a body can take. Leg injuries are death for a RB.

frank74
05-14-2005, 10:48 PM
you really can't count last year, because the bills made up their minds before the season that WM was going to be the feature RB. Plus, if you knew your job was going to be taken no matter how hard you attempted to defend your position, would you still have the same attitude as you did before when the job was yours? TH was toyed with. Even if he's not great, he's still above average and plays with heart. That says a lot.

Typ0
05-15-2005, 12:00 AM

it's rediculous to say it's a failed draft pick. You sound like an eternal pessimist just looking for fault. TH was a great draft pick and a significant part of our rebuilding. If anything his potential was sucked in and sacrificed for our team...and I hope he can rise up and get paid but I'm not so sure it's going to happen.

Typ0
05-15-2005, 12:04 AM
you really can't count last year, because the bills made up their minds before the season that WM was going to be the feature RB. Plus, if you knew your job was going to be taken no matter how hard you attempted to defend your position, would you still have the same attitude as you did before when the job was yours? TH was toyed with. Even if he's not great, he's still above average and plays with heart. That says a lot.

the bills did not make that decision before last season began. TH had his chance and he didn't get it done. TH could have been our main back all season last year and WM would have looked great being fresh comming off the bench....but TH was horrible and we didn't have a choice but to move him down on the roster. The managers that are running the teams just don't look at things the way the arm chair QBs do.

Dozerdog
05-15-2005, 02:24 AM

:rofl:
Almost 3,000 yards and 30 TDs with a pro bowl appearance in back to back seasons.

If that's a failed draft pick- then I don't know what a good draft pick is.

The only failure here is Travis Henry himself and his agent. Bad planning on the athlete's part (financally) and then bad planning on how to approach last season. If he just shut up and played hard- been a good team player instead of a whinny *****.... he would have value- either in trade or on the Free Agency market next season. But his pissy attitude is hurting everyone- including himself.

Typ0
05-15-2005, 10:38 AM
:rofl:
Almost 3,000 yards and 30 TDs with a pro bowl appearance in back to back seasons.

If that's a failed draft pick- then I don't know what a good draft pick is.

The only failure here is Travis Henry himself and his agent. Bad planning on the athlete's part (financally) and then bad planning on how to approach last season. If he just shut up and played hard- been a good team player instead of a whinny *****.... he would have value- either in trade or on the Free Agency market next season. But his pissy attitude is hurting everyone- including himself.

exactly...I wonder if it's really a defense mechanism kicking in because he know's he's lost a few steps!

zarofnascar
05-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Travis is worth a 3rd round and probaly a player to. Maybe a kicker or D end. If the Bills take a low end pick like a 5 or 6 we could possibly get a pretty good player. I was hoping that we would get a 3rd reciver but after to draf we don't need one. My dream trade pre-draft was for Indy to trade edge to miami and then trade stokely to us for travis. to bad that never worked. I think that we will trade Henry before opening day. Might have to wait for a training camp or preseason injury but that will just have to do. I hope he dose to stay here and sit. If we have to keep him he better play.

feelthepain
05-15-2005, 01:30 PM
I don't think TD will give away such a talent, If I were the Bills I wouldn't be in such a hurry to get rid of the guy. Injurys happen and having as a back that can put up the kind of #'s Henry can is a valuable commodity in this league! This is no different then the Surtain issue for the fin, but we got a second and big time cap relief. If the Bills could get a deal like that then It would be worth the loss. Like I said before the only reason Henry wasn't moved this year was because all the talent in the draft. Keep him one more year split the time in the backfield keeping both backs healthier, it also gives TH a chance to put up numbers giving him more value in a trade and it give Willis a chance to rest the knee and learn the O a little better. To me this is a win, win situation for the Bills why trade him or should I say give him away for nothing???
Also the change in running styles between the two backs will make life a little tougher for the oposing D's in return it could make the transition for new starter Losman a much eaiser one for all. I think having a rookie QB is a tough challenge for any team but having two stud RB's not only eases the transition but helps build confidence in your young gun.

Kerr
05-15-2005, 11:19 PM
A 5th? Puulease.

LtFinFan66
05-15-2005, 11:43 PM
No way you guys settle for a 5th. That would be a major rip off. Hopefully TD sticks to his guns on this one!

camelcowboy
05-15-2005, 11:53 PM
No way you guys settle for a 5th. That would be a major rip off. Hopefully TD sticks to his guns on this one!Agreed! :shake:

Marvelous
05-16-2005, 10:39 PM
I just wanna be done with it already! TH will be a huge distraction come camp & pre-season. The fans that think we could use the depth are lost in space. Face it, he is never gonna play again for us. I even asked him myself in Jacksonville and he said "no way". But that's besides the point... Maybe they will up[ it to a 4th then all the better. FYI i have these Travis Henry items
- Signed 8x10 in a special frame with his stats
- 2 personalized signed mini helmest. 1 a throwback to me & my wife.
-3 TH jerseys.1 mine & 2 (home&away) my wifes.
Just mentioning because i'm a huge TH fan but want to move on already...
:xtreme:

HAMMER
05-17-2005, 12:42 AM
This is one of the most laughable posts I have seen on this site, ever! A failed draft pick?

HAMMER
05-17-2005, 12:49 AM
exactly...I wonder if it's really a defense mechanism kicking in because he know's he's lost a few steps!
How has he lost a few steps? You are basically calling the guy a bust because we couldn't get the running game going in the first five weeks last season. We faced four of the NFL's best run defenses in those games, any back would have looked mediocre.

Travis Henry has had injuries, but none of them have been the type that causes a player long term problems. Cracked bones heal, bruised ribs heal, and they don't slow you down. If he had ligament problems in his feet or something like that I would say he would slow down.

I don't like the stance he has taken either but that does not diminish his skills as a football player one bit.

HAMMER
05-17-2005, 12:51 AM
I don't think TD will give away such a talent, If I were the Bills I wouldn't be in such a hurry to get rid of the guy. Injurys happen and having as a back that can put up the kind of #'s Henry can is a valuable commodity in this league! This is no different then the Surtain issue for the fin, but we got a second and big time cap relief. If the Bills could get a deal like that then It would be worth the loss. Like I said before the only reason Henry wasn't moved this year was because all the talent in the draft. Keep him one more year split the time in the backfield keeping both backs healthier, it also gives TH a chance to put up numbers giving him more value in a trade and it give Willis a chance to rest the knee and learn the O a little better. To me this is a win, win situation for the Bills why trade him or should I say give him away for nothing???
Also the change in running styles between the two backs will make life a little tougher for the oposing D's in return it could make the transition for new starter Losman a much eaiser one for all. I think having a rookie QB is a tough challenge for any team but having two stud RB's not only eases the transition but helps build confidence in your young gun.
Great post DolFan!

frank74
05-17-2005, 01:18 AM
the bills did not make that decision before last season began. TH had his chance and he didn't get it done. TH could have been our main back all season last year and WM would have looked great being fresh comming off the bench....but TH was horrible and we didn't have a choice but to move him down on the roster. The managers that are running the teams just don't look at things the way the arm chair QBs do.
i agree with you that TH was not getting it done, but also, the Oline wasn't getting it done at that time either. I disagree that TH could have been our main back all season. The bills knew who they wanted in the game. TH is a running back that carried his team in the past, had a few bad games and then was yanked for good? That's a raw deal. WM was the talk of the town, a ticket-seller before stepping on the field. The bills were dying to get WM in the game. (I just want this mess to be over with).