PDA

View Full Version : HENRY to the JAGS?

im4bflo
05-15-2005, 02:07 PM
It would work out well for both clubs!

wchutalkinboutwillis
05-15-2005, 02:12 PM
It would work out well for both clubs!
I've read that Fred Taylor may be out for this season. Is he definitely done for the year? He won't be the first feature back to go down before September. Based on the pick-up of Lee from Dallas, it's becoming increasingly clear that the Bills fully intend to move Henry prior to the season opener. I don't think Donahoe will settle for less than a 3rd, though.

Jayhawk
05-15-2005, 02:13 PM
I'd do it

im4bflo
05-15-2005, 02:20 PM
I've read that Fred Taylor may be out for this season. Is he definitely done for the year? He won't be the first feature back to go down before September. Based on the pick-up of Lee from Dallas, it's becoming increasingly clear that the Bills fully intend to move Henry prior to the season opener. I don't think Donahoe will settle for less than a 3rd, though.

I agree!

camelcowboy
05-15-2005, 02:29 PM
They do have Greg Jones who most feel has a bright future, and Toefield who is a bruising back. Not sure how much they would be willing to give up for Henry. Maybe a player for player trade?

Nublar7
05-15-2005, 02:36 PM
I've read that Fred Taylor may be out for this season. Is he definitely done for the year? He won't be the first feature back to go down before September. Based on the pick-up of Lee from Dallas, it's becoming increasingly clear that the Bills fully intend to move Henry prior to the season opener. I don't think Donahoe will settle for less than a 3rd, though.Where did you hear that Fred may be out for the season? :confused:

wchutalkinboutwillis
05-15-2005, 02:40 PM
They do have Greg Jones who most feel has a bright future, and Toefield who is a bruising back. Not sure how much they would be willing to give up for Henry. Maybe a player for player trade?
I think Jones is a FB and Toefield didn't rush for more than 200yds all season. The Jags should probably be looking to acquire a RB before camp. They need a proven performer who can take the pressure off the statuesque Byron Leftwich. Still can't tell when Taylor is coming back. One report says June and just recently, I've read he may be done for the year.

camelcowboy
05-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Where did you hear that Fred may be out for the season? :confused:
I don't know were he read it, but I've been hearing it on NFL Radio on Sirus.

Nublar7
05-15-2005, 02:50 PM
I don't know were he read it, but I've been hearing it on NFL Radio on Sirus.Man, that sucks for the Jags.

ShadowHawk7
05-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Shoot, I thought we had actually traded him when I saw the post. Not just more speculation, or "maybe this would work".

Yasgur's Farm
05-15-2005, 03:45 PM
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl
Jaguars | How Bad is Fred? - from www.KFFL.com (http://www.KFFL.com)
Sat, 14 May 2005 06:42:05 -0700

Paul Kuharsky, of the Tennessean (http://www.kffl.com/link/136), reports Jacksonville Jaguars (http://www.kffl.com/team/20/nfl) offensive coordinator Carl Smith (http://www.kffl.com/player/11433/nfl) has left open the possibility RB Fred Taylor (http://www.kffl.com/player/922/nfl) (knee) could miss the season due to his recent knee surgery. At a minimum, as noted previously, Taylor will not be able to do any work in June.
http://staugustine.com/sports/
Time for Jags to find an uograde at RB
By HAYS CARLYON Sports Writer

The whispers that the Jaguars have underestimated the severity of Fred Taylor's knee injury are growing into roars.

The Nashville Tennessean is reporting that Jacksonville offensive coordinator Carl Smith has indicated Taylor, 29, may be forced to miss the upcoming season.

Ouch. Say goodbye to those playoff hopes.

Without Taylor, Jacksonville's offense is dead for two reasons: The passing game isn't near ready to carry the load and the Jags have shoddy depth behind Taylor.

LaBrandon Toefield is a third-down back, and not a very good one. Greg Jones doesn't possess the necessary explosiveness and shiftiness to be productive.

With Taylor healthy, the Jags are a Super Bowl contender.

Without him, they are a 6-10 team.

The Jags must make a move. Even if Jack Del Rio is fairly confident Taylor will be ready, the Jags should still make a move.

This season is too important.

The fans are counting on the franchise returning to the playoffs for the first time since 1999.

In a twist of irony, the team Jacksonville should call is the team responsible for the Jags landing Taylor -- the Buffalo Bills.

The Jags need to send Buffalo a high pick in next year's draft to acquire running back Travis Henry.

The move makes sense for both sides.

The Bills, who already have a stud back in Willis McGahee, have been shopping Henry since the offseason started and seem determined to ship him out.

Maybe the Jags could land Henry, 27, with a third-round pick. If not, they should offer a second-rounder.

After a good season, it would be a late pick in the round anyway.

Buffalo would likely bite.

The Jags could make a run at Indianapolis' Edgerrin James or Seattle's Shaun Alexander, but it's unlikely the Colts would trade Edge to a divisional rival and the Seahawks would want a large chunk of premium draft picks. Plus, both backs are too expensive.

The Jags have had good luck trading with Buffalo. By sending quarterback Rob Johnson to the Bills back in 1997, Jacksonville received Buffalo's first-round pick (ninth overall) and selected Taylor.

The Henry deal would be productive in the short term, keeping Jacksonville's shot at a championship season alive.

However, the trade has more benefit to Jacksonville in the long term.

Henry's only fault is that he's not McGahee, one of the top rising talents in the league.

Before losing his job last year, Henry was coming off two seasons in which he rushed for a combined 2,794 yards and 23 touchdowns. He's an elite back.

And he has significantly less mileage than Taylor.

Taylor's career attempts (1,637) are right in line with backs like Priest Holmes (1,615) and Stephen Davis (1,725). What do all three of these backs have in common? They are breaking down.

Holmes missed eight games last season and Davis missed 14.

Backs like Curtis Martin (3,298 career carries) that can still be highly productive despite the extreme wear-and-tear are rare. And the odds of a massive Martin breakdown grow by the carry.

Meanwhile, Henry's tread has a lot of life left. He has logged 963 career carries in the NFL. That's in line with the league's top crop of fresh backs like Deuce McAllister (961) and Clinton Portis (906).

The bottom line is this. Taylor is an old 29. Henry is a young 27. Henry could have his best days ahead of him. Taylor is clearly on the downside of his career.

Here's what the Jags should do.

Trade for Henry while he's still a bargain to ensure Byron Leftwich has a strong running game around him.

Hang on to Taylor for a year, let him heal up and then trade him for a draft pick after the season to help make up for the pick lost in the Henry deal.e draft.

camelcowboy
05-15-2005, 04:03 PM
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl
http://staugustine.com/sports/
Nice find!

Italian Stallion
05-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Gimmie Greg Jones and a conditional 5th.....they won't do a 3rd or a 2nd, there is virtually no market for TH and everyone knows it.

See what Mularkey and Co. can do with Jones, who is the perfect big back that could spell WM.

camelcowboy
05-15-2005, 04:22 PM
Gimmie Greg Jones and a conditional 5th.....they won't do a 3rd or a 2nd, there is virtually no market for TH and everyone knows it.

See what Mularkey and Co. can do with Jones, who is the perfect big back that could spell WM.That would be good, Jones would be a upgrade at fullback over Shelton.

If that fails, trade him for a first rounder in 2021.

tampabay25690
05-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Man, that sucks for the Jags.

The guy has so much potential and always gets hurt....

camelcowboy
05-15-2005, 04:48 PM
The guy has so much potential and always gets hurt....'

Yeah well the jags got the first rounder they used on him from us. For Rob Johnson :puke: They still got the better half of the deal.

wchutalkinboutwillis
05-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Where did you hear that Fred may be out for the season? :confused:
I caught it in USA today. Sports front page, bottom right headlines.

ZacGriffi~82
05-15-2005, 05:23 PM
That would be good, Jones would be a upgrade at fullback over Shelton.

If that fails, trade him for a first rounder in 2021.

?

Shelton could possibly be the best FB in the league.

venis2k1
05-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Best? No. Underrated. yes.

wchutalkinboutwillis
05-15-2005, 05:35 PM
?

Shelton could possibly be the best FB in the league.
No question. Shelton is an awesome blocker who can surprise defenses when called upon to catch a swing pass. He's also exremely popular amongst his team-mates. I know this because I saw him and Willis interviewed on the Eric Moulds show a few months back. The demise of Empire is still killing me. :crap:

mybills
05-15-2005, 05:36 PM
I'd do it
why?

HHURRICANE
05-15-2005, 07:19 PM
I don't think the Jags are giving us Jones and a 5th. I would love to see something better than a draft pick considering Henry will be a starter somewhere.

jpdex12
05-15-2005, 07:33 PM
I started a thread a few days ago with a valid point that the Jags will be looking for a RB and it's starting to look even better with the recent article on Taylor. Let's hope that something plays out.

jpdex12
05-15-2005, 07:45 PM
I don't think the Jags are giving us Jones and a 5th. I would love to see something better than a draft pick considering Henry will be a starter somewhere.
The only player that I saw from the Jags roster that we would have a need for was LOT Mike Pearson and I doubt they would give him up for TH. Pearson is a great LT.
Anyone see any other possibilities in a player for player trade if something went down with the Jags?

wchutalkinboutwillis
05-15-2005, 08:01 PM
The only player that I saw from the Jags roster that we would have a need for was LOT Mike Pearson and I doubt they would give him up for TH. Pearson is a great LT.
Anyone see any other possibilities in a player for player trade if something went down with the Jags?
Given the unknown variable at TE: Maybe Kyle Brady and a 5th?

camelcowboy
05-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Kyle Brady in a bills uniform! the idea makes me feel so dirty in need a shower. :bath:

Mr. Miyagi
05-16-2005, 01:44 AM
Kyle Brady? No thanks. He hasn't been productive for like 3 years now.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-16-2005, 02:03 AM
With Tennessee expressing some interest, albeit at a bargain-basement level, and the Jags looking more and more like they will be in the market for a RB, I think that the Bills just might be able to get a 3rd round pick for T.Henry out of some team (the Jags, I suspect) around the time that training camp begins. But, T.Henry and his agent have to be patient and keep from making any public pronouncements about what they want until a trade goes down--I'm convinced that they hurt the Bills' and their own bargaining positions with all the yakking they did in the press before the draft.

Also, I would not want any part of Greg Jones. He's a FB sized tailback who doesn't have a lot of experience blocking and isn't a great pass receiver. He has had a tendency to miss time with injuries (in college and last season) and he showed absolutely nothing as a rookie. Now, he might develop into a decent player, but, so far, he has been far more of the "bust" part of the "boom or bust" player that many scouts projected him to be coming out of college than anything else. And, as for bringing him in to replace D.Shelton: why would you bring in a TB with little experience as a run or pass blocker to replace one of the better run-blocking FBs in the league? Just because a guy has size and speed that doesn't mean that he has what it takes to be a FB or that he'd even be willing to try playing the position after being a "feature back" all of his career thus far. No thanks, I'll pass....

camelcowboy
05-16-2005, 01:21 PM
To throw in another log in the fire. Now the local papers are starting to see the possiblities as well.

Check this out, CNNSI's rumor mill.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/05/16/truth.rumors.nfl/index.html

wchutalkinboutwillis
05-16-2005, 02:17 PM
To throw in another log in the fire. Now the local papers are starting to see the possiblities as well.

Check this out, CNNSI's rumor mill.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/05/16/truth.rumors.nfl/index.html
If you don't want to hit the link, just check out The Bills Zone's front page. The full article is right there under Thurman. "Henry Should Think Twice".

THATHURMANATOR
05-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Jones is not a fullback is he???

Dicknoze69
05-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Jones is not a fullback is he???

Yes, Greg Jones is a Fullback for the Jags. He played HB in college, but many considered him too slow to play HB consistently in the NFL. Personally, I wouldn't want him.

I'd rather have a draft pick from the Jags.

Mahdi
05-17-2005, 10:20 AM
What about Ephraim Salaam.....he might be expendable now since they have Pearson and Khalif Barnes.