X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • camelcowboy
    • Mar 2005

The Questions many are afraid to ask

As time moves forward a possible trade for Travis Henry looks more and more like it may not happen. The Bills have signed a running back, and we hear rumblings about possible interest in Tennessee, and Jacksonville. The majority of the posters on this forum thought Henry would be gone by the end of the draft. So im not holding my breath now. What if Henry is on the roster opening day? I know his quotes about not playing, but i also know the guy has historically needed money. Thats why i believe he won't holdout. Now I know the fears of him being a locker room cancer, but what if he is willing to play. Last year one of my biggest issues with the season was how the bills used their running backs. The only time they were on the field at the same time was in the shotgun, and then it was almost always a screen. I also saw very little subsitution with Wills when henry started the first 5 games. This was not taking advantage of a strength. We have two quality backs, Why can't we find a way to use them both. A great example in my mind was the situation in Carolina. I watched a couple Carolina games when they made their superbowl run a couple years back. They incorperated a steady mix of Deshaun Foster, and Steven Davis. This mix was lethal to opposing defenses. At any moment they would have quality running back who was fresh during the game. For the last year of Henry contract couldn't our creative, offensive "gurus" find a way to use both these players in a effective manner? It would put defenses under constant attack, and would be insurance if there is a injury. It could also drive up Henry's value and then maybe we could get a desent pick if we trade him before week six. Or we could hold him for the year and do something creative with the franchise, or transition tag. The later opinion maybe tough because of Clements contract.

Am i dreaming? or could this work. Let's hear it.

• The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

I think mostly because Henry ran heartless last year. He was down after first contact on every single play. If he stays on the roster this year that may change but most of what I saw of TH last year was nothing more than mediocre.

Like I said the situation may be different this year.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

I didnt read anything but the bolded text in your post... however... I will be just fine if he is still on the roster.

Henry will eventually realize that if he sits out this entire year... and because he sat out last year too, that would make a RB who hasnt touched the field in about 2 years. RB's have the shortest window of opportunity, and while he is young... noone wants a RB who hasnt played in 2 years, and has proven to be a cancer in the locker room.

His money will run out before July (fines from missing camps) and he will report...

Comment

• camelcowboy
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Pride
        I didnt read anything but the bolded text in your post... however... I will be just fine if he is still on the roster.

Henry will eventually realize that if he sits out this entire year... and because he sat out last year too, that would make a RB who hasnt touched the field in about 2 years. RB's have the shortest window of opportunity, and while he is young... noone wants a RB who hasnt played in 2 years, and has proven to be a cancer in the locker room.

His money will run out before July (fines from missing camps) and he will report...
        I believe if he sits out it will be career suicide for him. I see him being more motivated, because if he wants to be a starter on a other team. He needs to show that he is willing to play, and he needs to show he can produce. It would be smart of him to realize how low his value is right now. A 5th round pick! Sitting out and being a distraction will do nothing to help him. He'll be back. If he does come back the bills should do everything in their power to get him some playing time.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

I think Henry will come to his senses and play well, if only for the selfish reason of landing a decent contract with another team in 2006.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• LarryBoy
            The world needs a hero!
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
            I think Henry will come to his senses and play well, if only for the selfish reason of landing a decent contract with another team in 2006.

I agree, he has too much to lose if he just sits out the whole year.
            Bills Rock!

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
              • Apr 2004

:

Comment

• camelcowboy
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by andyxc71
                :
                It was suppose to be more along the lines, If Henry came back how would we use them both together, but hey thats life.

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

I guess we could do away with receivers and just put out like 4-5 RBs. I bet the defenses have never seeen that!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

Henry and McGahee will spend little, or no, time together in the same backfield - unless it's to confuse the defense on occasion. Travis will spell Willis by getting in for a couple of series per game, and perhaps more when the game has been decided.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• jmb1099
                      • Sep 2004

Its always a shame to see someone with a lot of talent play without heart, but that is exactly what Travis did. He had an opportunity to be the starting back, but he was unwilling to fight for it. Complacency and arrogance have killed as many good ball players as injuries have.

If we don't send him to a new home he will show up in camp, but don't expect anything special. Still with the number of backs we now have I find it difficult to believe he will be on the roster.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jamze132
                        I guess we could do away with receivers and just put out like 4-5 RBs. I bet the defenses have never seeen that!
                        i was thinking 1 running back 10 linemen, that would be cool.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                          • May 2003

Oh my god, I am so glad someone asked this question, I was so afraid to ask it.

Comment

• feelthepain
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Mar 2005

I think we are starting to see a trend in the league that as players start to elevate their game and start asking for more money they are getting replaced by Draft picks namely the RB position. Not all ofcourse but the trend is there none the less or they are given the franchise tag from one year to the next to keep their cost down and avoid a multi year deal. There are some very good backs around the league that were not sure where they would be playing this year and they aren't sure where they will be playing next year. S.Alexander, E.James,T.Henry just to name a few. I think the eaisest transitional position in football from college to the pros is RB. Look at all the young backs last year that had success in their first year. Detroit,St.Louis, Buff,Dallas all had young backs that impressed. Other positions are starting to show the same trend, I think when you can draft a corner in the second rd at a much discounted price over a starter and you play a tough physical type of D on the line replacing a shut down corner is not tht hard to do. The question is will the league do away with the salary cap in a couple of years and if so how will effect the way teams value their vetrans??

The cap has only been in the league since the early 90's but it's starting to find it's nitch. We can even replace the QB and have success, Big Ben in Pittsburgh last year proved even a rookie QB can succeed in his first year. The thing that bothers me most about the way things are going is, are you safe spending 3 or 400.00$ on your favorite players jersey,if from one year to the next the turnover is so high. I think if the league decides to keep the salary cap....and I hope they do, then the trend we have seen the last couple of years will be the norm in the future. I think each team will only have a handfull of players you can count on to be there for more then 4 or 5 years.

Comment

• pleasesavedrew
                              • Feb 2005

As I've said many times b4, I hope Henry plays this year in Buffalo. Why not? Mcgahee has 2 rebuilt knees, Henry is great insurance. If Mcgahee is hurt I don't doubt Henry will run his ass off to show other teams to show he can still run. If he doesn't play he will gain a rep as a selfish, non team player. If he plays but plays poor, uninspired football, thats 2 years of medicore play and no one will give him the cash he wants. Henry will run and will run hard for us this year. He may only run for himself, but he's gonna run.
                              Remember the past(11), embrace the future(7)

Comment

Working...
                              X