PDA

View Full Version : Bad news for Sunday Ticket subscribers.

lordofgun
05-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Two things are happening this year which are causing me not to renew my Sunday Ticket.

1. The price for returning subscribers is $199, but $220 if you're new. Last year, the auto renewal price was $179. So on top of this $20-$40 price increase, to get games in HDTV will now cost an extra $99. So that's about $300-$320 to get Ticket with HDTV games, and not all the games will even be carried in HDTV.

2. The bigger issue is that those of us who had DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket only will no longer be able to get it without buying a DTV programming package. Some guy at DTV told me that 2004 would be the last year you could have DTV without a programming package, and I didn't believe him, but then I just logged into my online DTV account and noticed my "Sunday Ticket Only" auto-renewal was gone.

I'd rather pay $250 and sit in the RockPile. :::

lordofgun
05-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Actually, I never had HDTV, but those who did are gonne be TO'd.

Earthquake Enyart
05-17-2005, 12:46 PM
Two things are happening this year which are causing me not to renew my Sunday Ticket.

1. The price for returning subscribers is $199, but $220 if you're new. Last year, the auto renewal price was $179. So on top of this $20-$40 price increase, to get games in HDTV will now cost an extra $99. So that's about $300-$320 to get Ticket with HDTV games, and not all the games will even be carried in HDTV.

2. The bigger issue is that those of us who had DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket only will no longer be able to get it without buying a DTV programming package. Some guy at DTV told me that 2004 would be the last year you could have DTV without a programming package, and I didn't believe him, but then I just logged into my online DTV account and noticed my "Sunday Ticket Only" auto-renewal was gone.

More quality time with Mikey and Phil. :ill:

Iehoshua
05-17-2005, 12:57 PM
That's not good. I did indeed have the Sunday Ticket only. Blargh.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-17-2005, 12:59 PM
C'mon everyone, we need to be log's internet friend so he can get this package!

OpIv37
05-17-2005, 01:05 PM
1. an extra $20? That breaks down to a little over a dollar a Sunday- well worth it to see every game, so who cares? And I don't have HDTV so I don't really care about that price hike either. But if I had it, it would be worth every penn.

2. The cable companies around here are horrible- DirecTV is so much better. I've had a few minor hassles with them, but nothing compared to what the local cable companies put me through. It's also cheaper for more channels. So F cable- satellite is the way to go. But if you live in Upstate NY, just make sure the dish is somewhere within reach so you can brush the snow off of it.

Regs25
05-17-2005, 01:18 PM
That really pisses me off, I need the HD games. There is no damn way they are getting an extra $99 bucks from me on top of the regular package too....DAMN THEM!!!

BuffRanger
05-17-2005, 01:26 PM
I don't imderstand the issue with needing to subscribe to a package. Can you explain?

Bulldog
05-17-2005, 01:38 PM
I don't imderstand the issue with needing to subscribe to a package. Can you explain?

I think he's saying that in addition to the one-time fee for the Sunday Ticket, subscribers will also have to pay for one of the packages on a monthly basis. I think their cheapest package is $29.99 per month. The whole HD thing is complete BS. I went through the same thing with Time Warner and ESPN HD. I had to pay $5.00 a month to get ESPN HD and about 5% of the programming was actually in HD. I realize that $5.00 isn't alot, but I think its too much for such limited HD programming. If it was 100% HD all the time, I'd be more than willing to pay the $5.00. I dropped ESPN HD and probably won't subscribe again until September.

Devin
05-17-2005, 01:41 PM
This will be my first year with DirectTV/Sunday Ticket so I am looking forward to seeing most every Bills game. But man if the price keeps going up each year screw that.

Bulldog
05-17-2005, 01:48 PM
This will be my first year with DirectTV/Sunday Ticket so I am looking forward to seeing most every Bills game. But man if the price keeps going up each year screw that.

If I lived outside the Buffalo market, I would have to get Direct TV. But yeah, the price seems to be getting a little crazy. Anyone know how long Direct TV has the rights to the Sunday Ticket? I thought they just signed an extension with the NFL, but I'm not positive.

Tatonka
05-17-2005, 01:51 PM
log have you talked to them to confirm they wont grandfather in the people this year?

i will ***** and see what i can get done..

does anyone know what the cheapest package is you can get as far as monthly programming?

Mr. Cynical
05-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Can you say BS Monopoly? I can't wait until NFL Network is carried by al the cable companies (Time Warner doesn't have it yet here in NYC). Once that happens, FU DirecTV. No way they will be able to get away with charging $300 anymore.

Enjoy it while you can DTV....the good times are coming to an end.

Devin
05-17-2005, 01:53 PM
I believe the base package is 42.99 or something in that range because I went the next one up which was 45.99, because I figured a few extra bucks was no biggie.

Tatonka
05-17-2005, 02:00 PM
jesus.. they used to have a 19.99 package that basically had nothing.

Bulldog
05-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Can you say BS Monopoly? I can't wait until NFL Network is carried by al the cable companies (Time Warner doesn't have it yet here in NYC). Once that happens, FU DirecTV. No way they will be able to get away with charging $300 anymore.

Enjoy it while you can DTV....the good times are coming to an end.

I think Direct TV has the rights for several more years. I'll look into it and see what I can find.

Jan Reimers
05-17-2005, 02:03 PM
I just booked a room at the Marriott Inner Harbor in Baltimore for 2 nights in June for $279 per night, plus applicable taxes.

Makes the $199 for my 10th or so year of NFL Sunday Ticket seem fairly reasonable, even though I only watch the away games.

OpIv37
05-17-2005, 02:03 PM
log have you talked to them to confirm they wont grandfather in the people this year?

i will ***** and see what i can get done..

does anyone know what the cheapest package is you can get as far as monthly programming?

I believe the base package is 42.99 or something in that range because I went the next one up which was 45.99, because I figured a few extra bucks was no biggie.

I pay 54.99 a month and thats with $5 for Tivo, $5 for a 2nd receiver and $5 for local channels- something like that. But other than Sunday Ticket I don't have any additional packages like regional sports networks, HBO, Showtime etc.

Earthquake Enyart
05-17-2005, 02:09 PM
I love DirecTV.

I just got the Tivo deal. You get the box for $100 and pay $6 a month. :up:

Bulldog
05-17-2005, 02:15 PM
I haven't found the information regarding the length of the contact between the NFL and Direct TV for ecxlusive rights to the Sunday Ticket, but take a look at some of these numbers :

In 2001, more than 1.3 million homeowners in the U.S. subscribed to NFL Sunday Ticket™, while 10,000 commercial establishments subscribed to the package. It is also available to cable television subscribers in Canada and the Bahamas as well as to satellite dish owners in Mexico, Central and South America via DirectTV Latin America. In Japan, satellite dish owners may subscribe through SKY PerfecTV!.

Do the math, that's alot of jack! And those nubers are from 2001, and I'm sure the subscriptions have increased significantly since then. WOW

JJamezz
05-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Directv can kiss my ass at this point... I would consider switching from Dish to Directv, but $300 for the season is HD (and as log said, not even all the games in HD) is freakin ridiculous.. that's almost $20 a game!!!

And I love how they have the balls to use the auto-renewal on us too... lmao...

JJamezz
05-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Oh, and BTW, I just bought an HDTV about a month ago... and 99% of the reason was for Bills games...

lordofgun
05-17-2005, 03:00 PM
I lied...I'll probably just end up switching to DTV. :(

Jan Reimers
05-17-2005, 03:22 PM
Ah, I love the smell of capitalism in the morning. . .

Hounds
05-17-2005, 04:24 PM
I have to get basic cable too because direct tv doesnt have local channels here. When I signed up last year you had to keep it for a year. So I think after the season I will just cancel and then buy again next year before the season starts. Better to pay $20 extra for the ticket next year then pay $35 a month for the whole off season for programing that I get on basic cable anyway. Then I will get 3 free months of movie channels too.

Does anyone think this plan wont work?

Tatonka
05-17-2005, 05:03 PM
i just checked my account and it shows my auto renewal for the 2004 sunday ticket.. so i called the customer service number and they told me that i am set up for auto renewal of the 2005 nfl ticket and will be billed for it starting in may.. at 49.95 a month for 4 months. they did not say anything about me having to add any kind of programming package, as i have not had any other programming for the last 4 years, besides the ticket.. so i specifically asked the guy.. "ok.. so i am all set for the nfl season.. you guys will bill me starting next month and i dont have to do anything else?" and he said i was all set..

lordofgun
05-17-2005, 05:56 PM
i just checked my account and it shows my auto renewal for the 2004 sunday ticket.. so i called the customer service number and they told me that i am set up for auto renewal of the 2005 nfl ticket and will be billed for it starting in may.. at 49.95 a month for 4 months. they did not say anything about me having to add any kind of programming package, as i have not had any other programming for the last 4 years, besides the ticket.. so i specifically asked the guy.. "ok.. so i am all set for the nfl season.. you guys will bill me starting next month and i dont have to do anything else?" and he said i was all set..
WTF? :mad:

I'm calling them right now.

THATHURMANATOR
05-17-2005, 06:13 PM
More quality time with Mikey and Phil. :ill:
Yeah LOG take them over to the Rockpile so I can have more room in my section.

The_Philster
05-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Yeah LOG take them over to the Rockpile so I can have more room in my section.

I've had my seasons longer...you go to the Rockpile :mad:

Turf
05-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Hell I can't even buy a Bills game in HDTV. It's impossible. Direct TV would black out the Sunday Ticket HDTV broadcast because it's broadcast locally.
Pisses me off every Sunday to see that jerk sitting there with his knees crossed, talking about how the game is broadcast in HDTV, AND I CAN'T EVEN BUY IT AT ANY PRICE!!! Bastard....

THATHURMANATOR
05-17-2005, 06:45 PM
You guys had the chance to switch to Dish network and you blew it.

Bulldog
05-17-2005, 06:51 PM
You guys had the chance to switch to Dish network and you blew it.

Is Dish Network any good? The local phone company in Rochester just joined up with Dish Network to offer an "all in one" package. I know you can't get the Sunday Ticket, but how is the rest of it? I'm a huge Syracuse basketball fan and I've heard that the local WB that the dish companies broadcast is out of NY City, thus meaning they wouldn't broadcast the Syracuse games like the Rochester WB does.

THATHURMANATOR
05-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Is Dish Network any good? The local phone company in Rochester just joined up with Dish Network to offer an "all in one" package. I know you can't get the Sunday Ticket, but how is the rest of it? I'm a huge Syracuse basketball fan and I've heard that the local WB that the dish companies broadcast is out of NY City, thus meaning they wouldn't broadcast the Syracuse games like the Rochester WB does.

It is great.

Check it out!
http://www.vmcsatellite.com/channels/dish_splash.cfm?aid=145008

The_Philster
05-17-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm watching NFL Network right now on DirecTV...can't get that on Dish

retrospective on Lou Saban right now :popcorn:

unpaid_bills
05-17-2005, 07:21 PM
you guys are a bunch of whiners. The price of everything these days is expensive. Still cheaper than going to a game. Plus I am on the West Coast so this gives us "out of towners" a chance to watch the Bills and other teams.

You are all probably mad just because the Bills did not make the playoffs. I will continue my subscription to DTV.

buffaloted90
05-17-2005, 07:32 PM
i live out of the buffalo area (NJ) so i will continue to get the ticket,i would love to see them in person butthat trip would cost at least 600 dollars so i will pay the 200 and be happy,Iam sure glad i got to watch the bills beat up on a lot of those team GO BILLS

Marvelous
05-17-2005, 07:35 PM
I have a HOA so i would pay anything to be able to watch the games at home. My only options are a Pats fans house. He sets up a spare room for me when i'm there but he always has that damn "My team is so great" lsmerk on his face. Option2 is a sports bar in which most are Jet fan infested :down: .

I have a active suit filed against the HOA on the FCC laws which prohibit them from preventing a signal but theres intangables like fire hazards and board votes etc.. GRR!

Meathead
05-17-2005, 07:57 PM
What's a butt hat?

Shiny Chicken
05-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Can you say bait and switch?

wchutalkinboutwillis
05-17-2005, 08:24 PM
i live out of the buffalo area (NJ) so i will continue to get the ticket,i would love to see them in person butthat trip would cost at least 600 dollars so i will pay the 200 and be happy,Iam sure glad i got to watch the bills beat up on a lot of those team GO BILLS
I, like Buffalo Ted am also in NJ and perfer the ticket. It's gone up in price because the NFL and Directv negotiated something like a $4bb pacakge for the next few years. The orginal contract was for much less. I know Comcast was furious with the deal because they apparently had a competitive offer on the table and felt they "were owed". When this contract is up, I think Directv will lose the NFL to one of the cable monsters.
Two trips up this year, the opener and the Jets. Flights out of Newark are around $120 roundtrip. Thank JetBlue for making the rest of the carriers honest.

djjimkelly
05-17-2005, 08:26 PM
i have HD and once uve watched a game in HD ur not really interested in much else the fact that its extra is a farce but thats the way the ball bounced i dont care ill pay gladly becuz NFL in HD is even better the nfl on reg TV

djjimkelly
05-17-2005, 08:29 PM
and BTW im in canada and have a fake address in UTAH so i never get the bills games blackedout WOOOOHOOO god bless directv from UTAH

honey
05-17-2005, 09:38 PM
I love the Sunday ticket! Usually the Vikes games and the Bills games are on at the same time, so on gamedays I hibernate to either the baement or our bedroom while Frank takes over the living room. We both get our "fixes" at the same time, and both of us switch back and forth to the "other" game. I've been pretty successful into converting him into a Bills fan. ;)

Throne Logic
05-17-2005, 10:13 PM
I have to get basic cable too because direct tv doesnt have local channels here. When I signed up last year you had to keep it for a year. So I think after the season I will just cancel and then buy again next year before the season starts. Better to pay $20 extra for the ticket next year then pay $35 a month for the whole off season for programing that I get on basic cable anyway. Then I will get 3 free months of movie channels too.

Does anyone think this plan wont work?

Just have them suspend you account in the off-season. They'll suspend up to 9 months. They will, however, make you pay for the basic service when you activate along with the ticket. Basic service is about $43 / mo.

Going through a relocation now with this damned dish. Since I have big tree issues, they're working with me in an attempt to keep my business.

Throne Logic
05-17-2005, 10:15 PM

Heh, you goof. You let them be vague. I bet you find an additional $43 or so bucks on your bill starting in August . . .

Throne Logic
05-17-2005, 10:16 PM
It is great.

Check it out!
http://www.vmcsatellite.com/channels/dish_splash.cfm?aid=145008

So long as you don't really care about any NFL content other than ESPN. No NFL Network and no Sunday Ticket.

Does it offer local channels?

Tatonka
05-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Heh, you goof. You let them be vague. I bet you find an additional $43 or so bucks on your bill starting in August . . .

they cant just add any programming they want to my bill.. and you can bet your ass that i will lie to them if something were to go down.. i will tell them that habeeb that i spoke to told me that i didnt need anything else several times..

JJamezz
05-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Whiner? You bet your a** I'm whining..

We go from $179 for 20 games (incl. preseason), 6 in HD..

To what, $199 (forget what the renewal cost is and I dont feel like looking..), PLUS $516 ($43x12 mo), PLUS $99 for (benefit of the doubt) 10 in HD... so that's $814?!?! A 455% price increase... lmao...

What I don't like is they're pretty much forcing you to switch to DTV, it's just dumb not to, and pay a comcast or dish bill on top of it (unless you need the basic cable for reg channels..)

Hopefully what T was told is accurate, but I'm not holding my breath.

Did you wind up calling log? What'd they say?

Samphin1
05-17-2005, 10:47 PM
I was talking to a few CIRECTV employees and they said if every subscriber got the NFL Package, they would still be in the red. That is how much they paid for it. Hence the rate increase. I can understand that, afterall, they are in this to make money, just like all of us work.

However, having to buy a package along with it will suck. I got it for the first time last year on a package. I now pay for their best package every month. I really don't see how they can make me buy a package when I alreayd have the best one...

Dozerdog
05-18-2005, 12:23 AM

WTF? :mad:

I'm calling them right now.

You clowns actually called up and talked to their sales people?

I just went to Ch 218 or whatever the channel is, and ordered it through the reciever. No friggin way I'm going to have some sap play dumb and tell me I have to order a full boat package.

Auto renewal, baby!

Marvelous
05-18-2005, 02:42 AM
Holy cheap! Get HDTV already. Like a poster mentioned " once you go HD you will never go back".. Or you could always complain about it on a message board.

don137
05-18-2005, 07:13 AM
I was talking to a few CIRECTV employees and they said if every subscriber got the NFL Package, they would still be in the red. That is how much they paid for it. Hence the rate increase. I can understand that, afterall, they are in this to make money, just like all of us work.

However, having to buy a package along with it will suck. I got it for the first time last year on a package. I now pay for their best package every month. I really don't see how they can make me buy a package when I alreayd have the best one...

They may be losing money on Direct TV but its a way to get people to switch to Direct TV so they can make money from their other programming. I switched to DirectTV just because of the NFL ticket when I moved from Rochester to Charlotte. I personally like it much more than cable.

clumping platelets
05-18-2005, 07:25 AM
C'mon everyone, we need to be log's internet friend so he can get our package!

:yikes:

DarbyTheDinosaur
05-18-2005, 10:48 AM
If I lived outside the Buffalo market, I would have to get Direct TV. But yeah, the price seems to be getting a little crazy. Anyone know how long Direct TV has the rights to the Sunday Ticket? I thought they just signed an extension with the NFL, but I'm not positive.
I myself am a DirecTV customer for the sole purpose of watching Bills games. And I was looking forward to getting it on cable someday (since the HDTV equipment with DirecTV costs so much anyways...)

Looks like we are all going to need to wait a bit longer for that...

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr.cgi?id=20050418nfl01
Last Nov. 8, the NFL announced six-year extensions of its Sunday afternoon television packages with over-the-air broadcast partners CBS and FOX from 2006-2011. The NFL also announced that day a five-year extension of an exclusive multi-channel agreement with the satellite service, DIRECTV, through 2010 to carry NFL SUNDAY TICKET, the leading sports subscription television package in the United States.

Voltron
05-18-2005, 10:54 AM
But if you live in Upstate NY, just make sure the dish is somewhere within reach so you can brush the snow off of it.

Or you can spray your dish with PAM cooking spray just before the first snow fall and you will be good for most of the winter if not all :up: :geek:

Just a little tip from a guy who's brother was an installer for a few years :D

Voltron
05-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Now that I have had Season tix for a few years I end up getting bored watching the game on TV. I would much rather buy seasons and be part of the game instead of watching it :up:

I AM THE HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE! :flex:

jamze132
05-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Just go to the bar and get drunk with the rest of em'.

The_Philster
05-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Now that I have had Season tix for a few years I end up getting bored watching the game on TV. I would much rather buy seasons and be part of the game instead of watching it :up:

I AM THE HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE! :flex::up:
I've had them for 10 years now...counting 2005..best investment I've ever made

Canadian'eh!
05-18-2005, 04:27 PM

LOG.... they USED to try to pullthat trick on new subscribers. Telling them they HAD to take a package in addition to NFLST. That of course was total BS. If you pushed them on it and talked to the boss, you could have found out that under their exclusive deal with the NFL, they HAD to give you just the Ticket programming if you requested it. Otherwise, they were in violation of their monopoly deal (which i feel is unlawful anyway) with the NFL.

Now I don't know if they signed a new deal without that clause or not... but I'd make a call and find out if i were you.

I've been thinking of offering to pay half of someones NFLST bill if they were willing to get another card to send to me to share the wealth. It'd be cheaper than bell expressvu or dig cable, and i'd get NFL network.

Mr. Cynical
05-18-2005, 05:40 PM
The question you have to ask is, why does it cost so much?

Lack of competition.

Once their contract is up, I'm sure the NFL would rather have it available to all the cable companies like HBO, etc. And since there would be 50 times the audience, they would get more money, while at the same time the consumer (us) would pay alot less.