• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Bad news for Sunday Ticket subscribers.

Two things are happening this year which are causing me not to renew my Sunday Ticket.

1. The price for returning subscribers is $199, but $220 if you're new. Last year, the auto renewal price was $179. So on top of this $20-$40 price increase, to get games in HDTV will now cost an extra $99. So that's about $300-$320 to get Ticket with HDTV games, and not all the games will even be carried in HDTV.

2. The bigger issue is that those of us who had DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket only will no longer be able to get it without buying a DTV programming package. Some guy at DTV told me that 2004 would be the last year you could have DTV without a programming package, and I didn't believe him, but then I just logged into my online DTV account and noticed my "Sunday Ticket Only" auto-renewal was gone.

I'd rather pay $250 and sit in the RockPile.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

• lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Actually, I never had HDTV, but those who did are gonne be TO'd.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
      Legendary Zoner
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by lordofgun
      Two things are happening this year which are causing me not to renew my Sunday Ticket.

1. The price for returning subscribers is $199, but $220 if you're new. Last year, the auto renewal price was $179. So on top of this $20-$40 price increase, to get games in HDTV will now cost an extra $99. So that's about $300-$320 to get Ticket with HDTV games, and not all the games will even be carried in HDTV.

2. The bigger issue is that those of us who had DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket only will no longer be able to get it without buying a DTV programming package. Some guy at DTV told me that 2004 would be the last year you could have DTV without a programming package, and I didn't believe him, but then I just logged into my online DTV account and noticed my "Sunday Ticket Only" auto-renewal was gone.

I'd rather pay $250 and sit in the RockPile.
      More quality time with Mikey and Phil.

Comment

• Iehoshua
        • Jan 2003

That's not good. I did indeed have the Sunday Ticket only. Blargh.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
          • May 2003

C'mon everyone, we need to be log's internet friend so he can get this package!

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

1. an extra $20? That breaks down to a little over a dollar a Sunday- well worth it to see every game, so who cares? And I don't have HDTV so I don't really care about that price hike either. But if I had it, it would be worth every penn.

2. The cable companies around here are horrible- DirecTV is so much better. I've had a few minor hassles with them, but nothing compared to what the local cable companies put me through. It's also cheaper for more channels. So F cable- satellite is the way to go. But if you live in Upstate NY, just make sure the dish is somewhere within reach so you can brush the snow off of it.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Regs25
              • Apr 2005

That really pisses me off, I need the HD games. There is no damn way they are getting an extra $99 bucks from me on top of the regular package too....DAMN THEM!!!

Comment

• BuffRanger
                • Sep 2004

I don't imderstand the issue with needing to subscribe to a package. Can you explain?

Comment

• Bulldog
                  Top Dog
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by BuffRanger
                  I don't imderstand the issue with needing to subscribe to a package. Can you explain?
                  I think he's saying that in addition to the one-time fee for the Sunday Ticket, subscribers will also have to pay for one of the packages on a monthly basis. I think their cheapest package is $29.99 per month. The whole HD thing is complete BS. I went through the same thing with Time Warner and ESPN HD. I had to pay $5.00 a month to get ESPN HD and about 5% of the programming was actually in HD. I realize that $5.00 isn't alot, but I think its too much for such limited HD programming. If it was 100% HD all the time, I'd be more than willing to pay the $5.00. I dropped ESPN HD and probably won't subscribe again until September.
                  I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Devin
                    The Octagon
                    • Apr 2003

This will be my first year with DirectTV/Sunday Ticket so I am looking forward to seeing most every Bills game. But man if the price keeps going up each year screw that.
                    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Bulldog
                      Top Dog
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Devin
                      This will be my first year with DirectTV/Sunday Ticket so I am looking forward to seeing most every Bills game. But man if the price keeps going up each year screw that.
                      If I lived outside the Buffalo market, I would have to get Direct TV. But yeah, the price seems to be getting a little crazy. Anyone know how long Direct TV has the rights to the Sunday Ticket? I thought they just signed an extension with the NFL, but I'm not positive.
                      I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

log have you talked to them to confirm they wont grandfather in the people this year?

i will ***** and see what i can get done..

does anyone know what the cheapest package is you can get as far as monthly programming?
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                          Maybe?
                          • Oct 2003

Can you say BS Monopoly? I can't wait until NFL Network is carried by al the cable companies (Time Warner doesn't have it yet here in NYC). Once that happens, FU DirecTV. No way they will be able to get away with charging $300 anymore.

Enjoy it while you can DTV....the good times are coming to an end.

Comment

• Devin
                            The Octagon
                            • Apr 2003

I believe the base package is 42.99 or something in that range because I went the next one up which was 45.99, because I figured a few extra bucks was no biggie.
                            http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

jesus.. they used to have a 19.99 package that basically had nothing.
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X