X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • L.A. Playa
    • Aug 2003

NFL Labor issues question

Slow day at work today, so I was thinking of the upcoming NFL labor contract. Why I dont know LOL. Anyway what do people here think would be fair for the league and the players in terms of compensation and competitive balance??

Here is an idea I came up with. First the NFL is the only league that does not have guarnteed contracts, which is why you have huge signing bonuses and I think is unfair to the players. So here is my proposal, players get Guarnteed contracts but they can be no longer than 5 years in length, the owners get a soft salary cap, there will be a cap based on the current formula but and owner could exceed the cap but then would be fined dollar for dollar and the money would go back into a revenue pool that would be split amongst the teams that did not go over the soft cap. This would help players get some job security and also allow for teams to only be in cap hell if they choose, I believe it would allow teams to retain key players rather than having to rebuild every 4 years or so. Any comments or other ideas ??
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

guaranteed contracts are a bad idea, IMO...what if the player's a bust?
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Billscusey
      • Nov 2004

The system used in the NFL as it stands is considered by many to be the best in professional sports. I like it just the way it is, and hope it doesn't change.

Comment

• LarryBoy
        The world needs a hero!
        • Apr 2003

I used to think that football was the best, but I think they need changes...the whole contract thing is just not working. A team signs a player for 5 years, the player then has a great year, demands more money and declares that he will not play untill he gets a new contract.

Whats the point if the player can just demand more money, esp considering they are highly overpaid to begin with?

Baseballs not perfect in any means, but you dont see this happen like you do in football...another example is Travis Henry, "I dont like my job, trade me or Ill sit."--sorry, Bub, you signed a legally binding document to make alot of money, fufill your obligation then walk when its over.

Footballs not as much about who has the best team, but who's front office can finagle the salery cap to get more good players then another front office.

Sorry, just going off on stuff in my head.

Bills Rock!

Comment

• The_Philster
          • Jul 2002

thing is about Travis...he sits out 2005..his contract is up in 2007 instead of 2006
          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• wchutalkinboutwillis
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by The_Philster
            thing is about Travis...he sits out 2005..his contract is up in 2007 instead of 2006
            Are you sure about this? It's the first time I've heard it.

"If I had my way, I'd shuffle off to Buffalo. Sit by the lake and watch the world go by." Fogerty

Comment

• The_Philster
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by wchutalkinboutwillis
              Are you sure about this? It's the first time I've heard it.
              positive..the contracts they sign are a number of years...not specified to end on a specific date..if Travis plays less than 6 games this year, it'll basically mean this year doesn't count in the contract life.

Comment

• wchutalkinboutwillis
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by The_Philster
                positive..the contracts they sign are a number of years...not specified to end on a specific date..if Travis plays less than 6 games this year, it'll basically mean this year doesn't count in the contract life.
                Good point, then. I think a lot of us have overlooked it.

"If I had my way, I'd shuffle off to Buffalo. Sit by the lake and watch the world go by." Fogerty

Comment

Working...
                X