PDA

View Full Version : "Going after" Shelton....

OpIv37
05-19-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure our coaching staff is sold on this guy and I don't think he's worth a bidding war, especially with our limited cap space. That being said, we still need O-line help. I think I'd be a little disappointed if we didn't at least bring him in for an interview and make him an offer. If another team beats us out by overpaying him, I won't lose any sleep, but I'd like to see TD at least make an effort to get him cheap.

Italian Stallion
05-19-2005, 02:58 PM
I dont think LJ will even give us the time of day now that he's free....We suposedly had the chance to get him for months and kept turning it down. Should that make him feel all warm and fuzzy about coming here, i don't think so.

I know he's not the greatest, and I'd like to see him signed for comp. with Gandy, but now with the power to choose, he will sign elsewhre.

Ed
05-19-2005, 05:04 PM
I dont think LJ will even give us the time of day now that he's free....We suposedly had the chance to get him for months and kept turning it down. Should that make him feel all warm and fuzzy about coming here, i don't think so.

I know he's not the greatest, and I'd like to see him signed for comp. with Gandy, but now with the power to choose, he will sign elsewhre.

Yeah, but you could say that about any team. It wouldn't have taken a lot to get Shelton, but no one was interested. At least we brought him in for a visit and interviewed him. If TD really wants him I'm sure he'll make him feel plenty welcome.

Tatonka
05-19-2005, 09:05 PM
we already brought him in here.. we wont bring him in here again.. either it was a big plan by TD to blow smoke up arizona's ass and say we didnt want him only to sign him quick.. which if that is the case, we will sign him before the weekend.. or else td wasnt lying and doesnt want him, which is my guess.. meaning we still have no LT.

kevinj22
05-19-2005, 09:12 PM
I don't think that Shelton will be put off by us because it wasn't like we said "we don't want you", all we wanted was a little more than a straight up trade for TH. If he's smart he would definitely want to come to Buffalo because he'll have the opportunity to prove everyone wrong.

OpIv37
05-19-2005, 09:25 PM
I don't think that Shelton will be put off by us because it wasn't like we said "we don't want you", all we wanted was a little more than a straight up trade for TH. If he's smart he would definitely want to come to Buffalo because he'll have the opportunity to prove everyone wrong.

agreed- plus he's probably smart enough to realize that the whole TH trade thing was a d*ck measuring contest between TD and Denny Green. If we sign Shelton and trade Henry, then surprisingly the white guy won. But if we don't sign Shelton I'd call it a draw.

Turf
05-19-2005, 10:12 PM
I just can't believe TD liked him enough to trade Travis as a PR move. Either they want him or don't. They must have wanted him. Why they wouldn't persue him at this point is ridiculous.

Dozerdog
05-20-2005, 07:58 AM
I just can't believe TD liked him enough to trade Travis as a PR move. Either they want him or don't. They must have wanted him. Why they wouldn't persue him at this point is ridiculous.
If he liked him enough to trade Henry for him- wouldn't it stand to reason that the deal would have been done?

From everything I've read/seen on TV/heard the only ones who wanted a Shelton for TH swap were the Cards.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-20-2005, 08:28 AM
No way Shelton turns his back on the Bills just because an agreement to trade could not be reached. You gotta admit that the guy who looks like the biggest fool right now is Denny Green. He could have had a RB, not taken a dead money cap hit, and only given up a 3rd rounder. He could have spent the draft pick he used on another area of need for the Cards, like a DB. The Cards would have been further ahead as an organization if they had made the deal.

Shelton understands that the trade is/was just business as usual in the NFL. He will sign with whatever team offers the best combination of fit, money, and potential. Right now, you have to believe that the Bills are in his top 3 at the very least. Can we show him the money (how about an incentive laden contract similar to the kind of deal we gave Sam Adams) and get the deal done? I think so.
My "stone cold lock" for this offseason is that LJ will be a Bill by the second week of June.

jamze132
05-20-2005, 08:44 AM
I don't understand the fascination with LJ Shelton.

Bulldog
05-20-2005, 08:53 AM

The Bills current depth at LT might have something to do with it. I don't know about you, but Gandy and Peters don't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Teague may be able to slide over to LT, but then Buffalo would essentially be starting three players at new positions on the o-line. I just hope that the line is set early in training camp so the unit has time to jell before the season rolls around. An OL unit that has yet to jell and a first year starter at QB could be disasterous.

BuffaloRanger
05-20-2005, 12:13 PM
What about June 1st cuts? Would anyone rather have Kyle Turley than Shelton? Turley is the firey Olineman that Bills fans would love!

But...

1. He's coming off injury.
2. He might be coming off the roids also

So he might not be worth a crap anymore.

OpIv37
05-20-2005, 12:25 PM

The Bills current depth at LT might have something to do with it. I don't know about you, but Gandy and Peters don't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Teague may be able to slide over to LT, but then Buffalo would essentially be starting three players at new positions on the o-line. I just hope that the line is set early in training camp so the unit has time to jell before the season rolls around. An OL unit that has yet to jell and a first year starter at QB could be disasterous.

I agree with Bulldog. Simply put, we still need Oline help, and he's the most attainable lineman out there at the moment. If TD can get another starting LT from somewhere else, that would be fine with me. Right now, though, he's the best bet for bolstering our Oline before the season starts.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Yep, I think that June 1st cuts will bring the rest of this squad into focus. Henry could likely be dealt before then, and by mid June we will have a very good idea what our opening day roster might look like. Not that changes can't/won't happen after that....but I think changes made after that time will be of very little consequence.
How about that T from Tampa.....is he gonna bring big $? Any other probable LT cuts?

Ed
05-20-2005, 01:18 PM
What about June 1st cuts? Would anyone rather have Kyle Turley than Shelton? Turley is the firey Olineman that Bills fans would love!

But...

1. He's coming off injury.
2. He might be coming off the roids also

So he might not be worth a crap anymore.
I heard he's concerned about his neck and doesn't want to play O-line anymore, but move to DE.

Jan Reimers
05-20-2005, 06:18 PM
I think Shelton is one of those lazy underachievers that McNally doesn't really like. We will probably only take him at a bargain basement price.

capitolneal
05-20-2005, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=Ed]I heard he's concerned about his neck and doesn't want to play O-line anymore, but move to DE.[/QUOT
Lost a TON of weight to I heard he was down to 230 pds

Turf
05-20-2005, 07:54 PM
If he liked him enough to trade Henry for him- wouldn't it stand to reason that the deal would have been done?

From everything I've read/seen on TV/heard the only ones who wanted a Shelton for TH swap were the Cards.

That would explain TD wanting to swap draft choices to get something in return.

jamze132
05-21-2005, 08:29 AM
I still don't understand the fascination with LJ Shelton.

jamze132
05-21-2005, 08:44 AM
I think Shelton is one of those lazy underachievers that McNally doesn't really like. We will probably only take him at a bargain basement price.
My point, excactly. If Shelton at a chance to start on our O line, I'm pretty sure that the trade would have been completed months ago. I seriously doubt that Donahoe was playing the Cardinals the entire time so he could keep Henry and sign Shelton. It doesn't add up.

Ickybaluky
05-21-2005, 02:23 PM
The Texans are the first team reported to have contacted Shelton, accourding to the Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3192107).

LifetimeBillsFan
05-22-2005, 11:26 PM
I agree. I think any interest the Bills had in Shelton really cooled after they had him in for his visit. Ever since then the only words coming out of the Bills front office about him have been cool at best. It's possible that he may have said something in one of his interviews or, if they worked him out (I don't know if they did or not), maybe he did something that perhaps McNally or Mularkey didn't like. At this point, I don't even know if they think that he would be worth bringing in for the vet minimum given the way that they seem to have lost interest in him since that time.