PDA

View Full Version : Eric Moulds won't have a great year

ghz in pittsburgh
05-20-2005, 11:39 AM
For one thing, this is an odd numbered year, which has always been an off-year for Moulds throughout his career.

I don't see a difference this year. First and foremost, Moulds is slowing down whether you like it or not. Last year is the first year that I, not an NFL scout by any stretch of imagination, can tell that Moulds did not create the kind of separation he used to. I can only guess the trend continues this year. In fact Losman had some problem with Moulds in the "out route" in the mini camp last month. In Losman's words, Moulds is different from Evans and Parrish in that he takes his time to setup the db. While this shows that Moulds is a savvy veteran who has a lot of tricks up his sleeves, but it also may - notice my choice of words here - signal Moulds can no longer do what Evans and Parrish do, i.e. using quickness and speed to create easy separations for the QB.

Now read Losman's profile and pay attention to his low INT/high sack ratio in college. Quarterbacks like that tends not to make a risky throw; in Losman's case, he would rather run around to buy some time until his receivers had better separation. So if Evans/Parrish can create separation faster, if Losman, as we all hope, can get his read fast enough, Moulds may not see many balls his way. And that'll be especially true if the opponents double cover him.

What Moulds can still do and do very well is winning one-on-one close battles. When the ball is throw to his vicinity, his timing, jumping ability (from basketball background), and strength allows him to win a lot of the battles. But those throws are more difficult to make; it requires more pin-pointing like which side of the shoulder etc, especially over 20 yards out. It's no wonder Bledsoe loves Moulds because those throws are Bledsoe's strength - long balls with accuracy. I remember Bledsoe's motto is if Moulds is matched man-to-man, he's throwing to Moulds every time.

However you hype Losman, I just don't think it is fair and realistic you ask him to make those difficult throws often and expect a lot of success. At NFL level, a QB needs to make throws where separation is not nearly what he sees at college level, but everyone has a transition period. That's why I think Moulds will have a down year - could be the 2003 level in which he was hurt and missed a few games.

Devin
05-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Moulds is getting up there, but he still can be a difference maker/gamebreaker. No one underestimates him.

BuffaloRanger
05-20-2005, 11:51 AM
If Moulds stays healthy he'll be fine. He still draws the double teams away from Evans. Separation only applies to certain routes. Many times the ball is thrown to an area. The ball is in the air before the WR even makes his cut. WRs don't get wide open in the NFL like college. All a WR needs is a step and the QB has to hit him. Losman will learn to work with Moulds. That's what Wyche is for.

My only complaint about Moulds is he sometimes jumps for balls he doesn't have to. He'll jump up to make the catch - and it hits him in the numbers. Why not just catch it with your hands at head level and keep running? I only see him do this occasionally - but it results in him dropping "easy" passes. If he does catch it, he loses momentum and gets hit right away, killing his YAC.

Mahdi
05-20-2005, 11:54 AM
If catching 88 balls last year, most of which were tough catches across the middle is slowing down lets hope Evans and Parrish are even slower. Moulds job last year was to run the underneath routes and make plays that way while Evans stretched the field, and he did his job well. Just because he didnt make the big plays, that doesn't mean he cant make them, that was just the way the bills offense was drawn up. Let's not forget that he was also drawing a lot of double coverage and still got it done. If anything he should have an even bigger year with teams game planning more for Evans and possibly Parrish.

juice
05-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Moulds went for over 1000 yds in a season in which the Pass offense was ranked in the bottom half of the League, if Losman can make the proper reads and accurate throws, Moulds should have no problem catching 90+ passes and gaining more that 1200 yards.

wchutalkinboutwillis
05-20-2005, 12:04 PM
For one thing, this is an odd numbered year, which has always been an off-year for Moulds throughout his career.

I don't see a difference this year. First and foremost, Moulds is slowing down whether you like it or not. Last year is the first year that I, not an NFL scout by any stretch of imagination, can tell that Moulds did not create the kind of separation he used to. I can only guess the trend continues this year. In fact Losman had some problem with Moulds in the "out route" in the mini camp last month. In Losman's words, Moulds is different from Evans and Parrish in that he takes his time to setup the db. While this shows that Moulds is a savvy veteran who has a lot of tricks up his sleeves, but it also may - notice my choice of words here - signal Moulds can no longer do what Evans and Parrish do, i.e. using quickness and speed to create easy separations for the QB.

Now read Losman's profile and pay attention to his low INT/high sack ratio in college. Quarterbacks like that tends not to make a risky throw; in Losman's case, he would rather run around to buy some time until his receivers had better separation. So if Evans/Parrish can create separation faster, if Losman, as we all hope, can get his read fast enough, Moulds may not see many balls his way. And that'll be especially true if the opponents double cover him.

What Moulds can still do and do very well is winning one-on-one close battles. When the ball is throw to his vicinity, his timing, jumping ability (from basketball background), and strength allows him to win a lot of the battles. But those throws are more difficult to make; it requires more pin-pointing like which side of the shoulder etc, especially over 20 yards out. It's no wonder Bledsoe loves Moulds because those throws are Bledsoe's strength - long balls with accuracy. I remember Bledsoe's motto is if Moulds is matched man-to-man, he's throwing to Moulds every time.

However you hype Losman, I just don't think it is fair and realistic you ask him to make those difficult throws often and expect a lot of success. At NFL level, a QB needs to make throws where separation is not nearly what he sees at college level, but everyone has a transition period. That's why I think Moulds will have a down year - could be the 2003 level in which he was hurt and missed a few games.
I think the talk about Moulds slowing down is pre-mature. 88 catches with over 1,000 yds are respectable numbers. Evans will only make Moulds a better receiver this year because you can bet he'll be attracting more double coverage than EMO. I don't think that was the case last year.
Evans is a deep threat that will keep CB's and safety's on their heels. This will open up the mid-range (15-30yds) routes for Moulds between the safeties and linebackers. JP can pick apart D's by taking advantage of Moulds being covered 1 on 1. As a result, when Moulds starts attracting double coverage, it's bomb time to Evans. Also, don't forget, safeties will be brought up to help stop the powerhouse named Willis. Play actions will probably be used frequently resulting in open receivers.
If JP is 3/4 the QB he's capable of being, and if the Oline can perform even at 90% of last years competence, this offense could be scary good.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-20-2005, 12:06 PM
While I too expect Moulds' numbers to drop off a little this year, I don't believe it is because of the "odd year curse" that so many people mention. If you look back at Moulds' career, in his off years there are also several other factors which led to the below average (for him) production. Moulds will still be solid this year, and a major factor in any success we have; if he can stay healthy which becomes increasingly difficult as a player ages.

justasportsfan
05-20-2005, 12:23 PM
In Mularkey I trust. Moulds be used effectively.

Mudflap1
05-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Moulds will have a good year as long as everyone is healthy. He will be the bread-and-butter guy, with Evans getting a lot of attention, and probably Parrish as well. Think a few years ago with Price and Reed when they had good years.

Jon

BillsFanCupp38
05-20-2005, 03:49 PM
i think EMO will do better than a lot of people are expecting him to do

mybills
05-20-2005, 08:20 PM
Moulds will have a better year just because cement shoes is gone!

bledslow
12-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Moulds will have a better year just because cement shoes is gone!

oh i see,is that all it takes,hettin rid of drew?? i think he is having a struggle because the bills have a very inconsistent qb playing who is even worse then drew(jp). i can see moulds somehow in n.e next year with brady and tearing it up. buf will give up on him and he will be on another team and have a very productive year like antoine smith did after buf gave up on him.