PDA

View Full Version : Kelly's salute to son caps teary ceremony

Pride
08-05-2002, 09:32 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20020803/419405.html

Kelly's salute to son caps teary ceremony

August 3, 2002 Print it

CANTON, Ohio -- Jim Kelly never walked off a football field holding his son's hand. He never got to play catch with Hunter or take him camping or fishing.

But Kelly's 5-year-old son gave him something much more special: a hero.

Jim Kelly never tossed a touchdown pass as meaningful or had a moment on the field as sweet as the one that closed his induction speech into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday.

Choking back tears throughout his 10 minutes at the podium, the Buffalo Bills quarterback thanked the teammates, coaches, family and friends who helped him achieve football's highest honor.

Then Kelly looked down at his terminally ill child.

Hunter Kelly, who shares his father's birthday and grit, has Krabbes disease, a rare degenerative disorder of the nervous system that robbed him of motor skills.

"It's been written that the trademark of my career was toughness," Kelly said. "The toughest person I ever met in my life was my son, my hero, Hunter.

JefftheBillsfan
08-05-2002, 09:37 AM
I had goose bumps...its amazing how a community could feel so close so someone....like we did with Jim. It is a proud day for the Kelly's but it is a proud day for us as well.

Rude American
08-05-2002, 10:38 AM
His daughter must feel like second class offspring though.

Pride
08-05-2002, 10:41 AM
Rude, I have actually thought of that. During the Seahawks game last year when he was put on the wall, he mentioned his son over and over again.

You would think that it might be affecting her, but then I consider that his daughters have the next 40 years to get attention from their dad, while Hunter only has a couple (if that)

Ebenezer
08-05-2002, 10:45 AM
I can't wait until tonight to see it...I was not home and taped it...

clumping platelets
08-05-2002, 11:06 AM
cap.........did someone say cap? ;)

:couch:

Earthquake Enyart
08-05-2002, 11:27 AM
He'll have plenty of time to make it up to his daughters. Time Hunter doesn't have.

JefftheBillsfan
08-05-2002, 12:15 PM
Good points guys...I was thinking the same thing as Rude...but you guys make a great point.