PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reveals Dobler's secret tragedy

The_Philster
05-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Three years before he became a Buffalo Bill, offensive guard Conrad Dobler had his image forever created by a 1977 Sports Illustrated cover story that proclaimed him "Pro Football's Dirtiest Player."
The three-time Pro Bowler furthered that image by writing a book, "They Call Me Dirty," with former Buffalo News sportswriter Vic Carucci.

Dobler, who has always been a colorful character, illustrated he could deliver and take a good joke about his image when he was roasted for the benefit of the local Cystic Fibrosis Foundation in 1988. But as an ESPN story will illustrate at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, the life of Dobler and his family has taken a very serious turn. ..more (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050521/1005303.asp)

Earthquake Enyart
05-23-2005, 06:35 AM
You could at least tell us what the story is Phillip. :mad:

According to ESPN, Dobler is struggling to take care of his wife, Joy, after she was paralyzed July 4, 2001, after falling from a flipped hammock and severing her spinal cord.

It isn't a well-known story. A Bills spokesman said Friday that owner Ralph Wilson and the team's Alumni Association were unaware of it. An online search revealed only a few references, including a one-paragraph item in a notes column of a national publication.

The ESPN piece, by Los Angeles-based reporter Chris Connelly, also will air on Sunday night's "SportsCenter." Dobler tells ESPN that the medical treatment and aftercare have cost more than $500,000 over the past three years. Dobler, who has five children, added it has forced him to put their home up for sale.

"The future?" Dobler is quoted as saying. "I think about tomorrow. Am I happy? Not really. Am I going to let that get me down? No, because I can't. I got kids to take care of, got a house to take care of, got a business to save, and I got a wife to take care of. So it really is academic whether I'm happy or not."

SABURZFAN
05-23-2005, 12:39 PM
that's very unfortunate.

BuffaloRanger
05-23-2005, 12:53 PM
"Flipped Hammock?" Damn. That's like breaking your back falling off the coach. What a freak accident. She may be the only one it's ever happened to. Is she Para or Quad.

Canadian'eh!
05-23-2005, 06:55 PM
"Flipped Hammock?" Damn. That's like breaking your back falling off the coach. What a freak accident. She may be the only one it's ever happened to. Is she Para or Quad.

Mularkey better watch out for this i guess... wouldn't want to lose a player to injury like that.... tough to explain.....