X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juice
    • Aug 2003

Jets Stadium=Bills Demise

With the prospect of hosting the SB in 2010 and the possibility of the Olmpics in 2012 it seems that this stadium is all but a done deal - with the economic crunch that Western NY is currently facing it seems less like the Bills will be able to withstand the small market restrictions that it has delt with in the past.

Seems a little unfair that the future of the Bills franchise might lie in the hands of a NY team that has played it's home games in NJ for the past 21 years.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

I think more than the Bills... western NY'ers need to be concerned about there being a buffalo in 10 years. Unless I am mistaken, western ny is drying up faster than a snail in the sun!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Pride
      I think more than the Bills... western NY'ers need to be concerned about there being a buffalo in 10 years. Unless I am mistaken, western ny is drying up faster than a snail in the sun!
      Yeah Buffalo might cease to exist all the sudden.....

Comment

• camelcowboy
        • Mar 2005

Merging the county and the city of buffalos governent would be a real good idea. Indy did the same thing a few years back.

Comment

• TedMock
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by camelcowboy
          Merging the county and the city of buffalos governent would be a real good idea. Indy did the same thing a few years back.
          So did Baltimore. Great idea, but the elitists in some of the suburbs are afraid of "unfavorables" moving into the neighborhood. That's absolutely ridiculous, but it's the way some feel. They don't want to "support" the city. For some reason they don't realize that there will be a trickle down effect and it would work out best for everybody.

Comment

• eyedog
            • Jul 2002

Another problem will be the patronage/gov't/county/city/fire/police/etc etc etc jobs that will be lost or downgraded.{see pay scale}.
            But merging will be the only way to save both of them in the long run.
            But let them destroy themselves as I got another 10 years or so in this mess around here then I'm out. I think I can make it.

Comment

• EDS
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by juice
              With the prospect of hosting the SB in 2010 and the possibility of the Olmpics in 2012 it seems that this stadium is all but a done deal - with the economic crunch that Western NY is currently facing it seems less like the Bills will be able to withstand the small market restrictions that it has delt with in the past.

Seems a little unfair that the future of the Bills franchise might lie in the hands of a NY team that has played it's home games in NJ for the past 21 years.

https://www.buffalonews.com/editoria...24/1055671.asp
              The Jets stadium is far from a done deal. Less then 50% chance it gets done at all at this juncture.

Comment

• BuffaloRanger
                WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
                • Mar 2003

When you are traveling outside Buffalo and someone asks "where are you from?" do you say, "Lancaster, NY" or "Amherst, NY"? Of course not.

We all say we're from Buffalo. As Buffalo goes so goes all of WNY.

Like it or not, a Major League sports franchise puts a city "on the map". Without the Bills, we'd still have the Sabres, but the NHL is a niche sport without the high profile of the NFL.

Without the Bills, Buffalo is another Louisville, Des Moines, or Oklahoma City.

Losing the Bills would just pile on the neg rep of a troubled city.

Buffalo is in bad shape now, but was in worse shape in the early 80s when all the factories were shutting down.
                Buffalo Only and Always.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by EDS
                  The Jets stadium is far from a done deal. Less then 50% chance it gets done at all at this juncture.
                  We could only hope.

I'm hoping that Silver and Bruno hold this up so that NYC loses their Olympic bid and the stadium deal dies completely. Keep the Jets in NJ. We don't want them here. Buffalo Bills are the only TRUE New York team.

Comment

• EDS
                    • Jan 2003

For what it is worth, no one down here in the city believes the stadium will get built - especially in time for the Olympics. There is an army of lobbyists representing various interests that very much oppose the stadium project - not just the MSG folks.

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by EDS
                      For what it is worth, no one down here in the city believes the stadium will get built - especially in time for the Olympics. There is an army of lobbyists representing various interests that very much oppose the stadium project - not just the MSG folks.
                      Thank God! I'm so glad to hear bad news about this stadium. Th media keeps talking about the good and trying to excite us. Pataki needs to STFU and worry about the Ground Zero buildings first IMO. The thing that kills me is that they can build the exact same stadium for half the price, in Queens. But Pataki and Bloomberg want it in Manhattan for some dumb reason.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
                        Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
                        • Jul 2002

I doubt NYC wins the Olympics even with a brand-new football stadium.

Right now London and Paris are the front-runners.

God give me style and give me grace
                        God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dicknoze69
                          I doubt NYC wins the Olympics even with a brand-new football stadium.

Right now London and Paris are the front-runners.

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
                            When you are traveling outside Buffalo and someone asks "where are you from?" do you say, "Lancaster, NY" or "Amherst, NY"? Of course not.

We all say we're from Buffalo. As Buffalo goes so goes all of WNY.

Like it or not, a Major League sports franchise puts a city "on the map". Without the Bills, we'd still have the Sabres, but the NHL is a niche sport without the high profile of the NFL.

Without the Bills, Buffalo is another Louisville, Des Moines, or Oklahoma City.

Losing the Bills would just pile on the neg rep of a troubled city.

Buffalo is in bad shape now, but was in worse shape in the early 80s when all the factories were shutting down.
                            Here is the honest to God truth. For many, many years, people in the Southwest corner of NYS would refer to their geological position as "an hour and a half south/southwest of Buffalo. Within the past 5-7 years, you hear a lot more "a half hour from Erie" or "two hours east of Cleveland".
                            People don't want to be associated with Buffalo. I still use Buffalo as my marker, but little things like that are indicative of just how bad the situation has become in the Queen City. It is more and more difficult to defend the merits of living there.
                            We won't be an NFL town for all that much longer, in my opinion, and I don't expect the Sabres to lure any new residents or business.
                            Buffalo will be a modern derivation of a ghost town in 15 years, and that is very sad. There is an awful lot to like about the area.
                            If they could tear down all the old factories, and clean up the streets a bit, the town could turn it around......but I doubt if I live to see it.
                            Louisville, DesMoines, Oklahoma City? Yep, that sounds about right. But those places aren't fighting NY State....a formidable foe for sure.
                            "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
                            --Leo Durocher

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                              Here is the honest to God truth. For many, many years, people in the Southwest corner of NYS would refer to their geological position as "an hour and a half south/southwest of Buffalo. Within the past 5-7 years, you hear a lot more "a half hour from Erie" or "two hours east of Cleveland".
                              People don't want to be associated with Buffalo. I still use Buffalo as my marker, but little things like that are indicative of just how bad the situation has become in the Queen City. It is more and more difficult to defend the merits of living there.
                              We won't be an NFL town for all that much longer, in my opinion, and I don't expect the Sabres to lure any new residents or business.
                              Buffalo will be a modern derivation of a ghost town in 15 years, and that is very sad. There is an awful lot to like about the area.
                              If they could tear down all the old factories, and clean up the streets a bit, the town could turn it around......but I doubt if I live to see it.
                              Louisville, DesMoines, Oklahoma City? Yep, that sounds about right. But those places aren't fighting NY State....a formidable foe for sure.
                              Erie? That place is a dump!

Comment

Working...
                              X