PDA

View Full Version : NFL bans horse-collar tackle; decisions on Vikings sale, '09 Super Bowl still to come

The_Philster
05-24-2005, 08:15 PM
NFL owners eliminated the horse-collar tackle Tuesday, then maintained the suspense for at least one more day regarding the sale of the Minnesota Vikings and the selection of a site for the 2009 Super Bowl.

Beyond those formalities, the first day of a two-day owners' meeting put on full display stark differences among the teams over revenue sharing, which need to be resolved before a new collective bargaining agreement is reached with the players' union. Somewhat related was New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson's confirmation that he has been offered more than $1 billion for his team, an offer he didn't accept but used to illustrate the financial problems that might prompt him to move the franchise elsewhere - perhaps to Los Angeles...more (http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8501139)

Turf
05-24-2005, 08:54 PM
I don't see anything wrong with horse collar tackling. Just imagine the stupid "grabbing the collar" penalties that are going to overturn big defensive plays. And gee, guess what teams are going to get stung with them?
Sometimes I think the NFL is going the way of the gov't, pure stupidity.

jamze132
05-24-2005, 09:22 PM
I think it's a good idea to ban this method of tackle. It's a great way to ruin a guys career. On the other hand, a lot of times it's the only way to make a tackle. It's going to to be hard for defenders to make the adjustment.

jpdex12
05-24-2005, 09:54 PM
I think it's a good idea to ban this method of tackle. It's a great way to ruin a guys career. On the other hand, a lot of times it's the only way to make a tackle. It's going to to be hard for defenders to make the adjustment.
This rules sucks unless they only ban when a player horse tackles a player and then swings his weight onto the back of the players legs to haul him down. I'd say that it's fair game to grab someone's collar and swing them to the ground rather than collar grab and fall onto their legs. How in the hell is someone supposed to tackle someone from behind now in a rundown? Dive for their legs and essentially fall onto their legs similar to the horse collar technique.
Now these dumb son of a *****es are trying to put restrictions on how a tackle should be performed? This crap should have stopped at "No spearing"! "F" this! Friggin referees can't call a game straight now and now we're gonna let them throw the flag on a judgement call of a tackle? What would the ole timers that played with no helmets say about this pussy decision?:fit:
:fit:

Turf
05-25-2005, 08:20 AM
This rules sucks unless they only ban when a player horse tackles a player and then swings his weight onto the back of the players legs to haul him down. I'd say that it's fair game to grab someone's collar and swing them to the ground rather than collar grab and fall onto their legs. How in the hell is someone supposed to tackle someone from behind now in a rundown? Dive for their legs and essentially fall onto their legs similar to the horse collar technique.
Now these dumb son of a *****es are trying to put restrictions on how a tackle should be performed? This crap should have stopped at "No spearing"! "F" this! Friggin referees can't call a game straight now and now we're gonna let them throw the flag on a judgement call of a tackle? What would the ole timers that played with no helmets say about this pussy decision?:fit:
:fit:

Exactly my concern. This opens up the door for the refs to make terrible judgement calls, and in effect, dictate the game. "Hand on the collar", what a bunch of BS.

jamze132
05-25-2005, 01:59 PM
I am pretty sure when someone designed the game of football, you where supposed to be able to wrap the guy up to bring him down, hence the name "tackle". I don't know of too many wrap-ups when you are chasing a guy down but just can't quite catch him. So you grab his collar. Nice.

Turf
05-25-2005, 09:18 PM
I am pretty sure when someone designed the game of football, you where supposed to be able to wrap the guy up to bring him down, hence the name "tackle". I don't know of too many wrap-ups when you are chasing a guy down but just can't quite catch him. So you grab his collar. Nice.

Football was meant to be controlled war. And in that war, you grab anything legal. Did you know that Ricky William's dreadlocks hanging out of his helmet were deemed legal to grab just a couple years ago? Why not a collar?
Just wait until you're watching a huge Bills game, and Spikes makes a dead on tackle, and some ***** referree named Walt or something throws a flag and says he touched the collar. When your foot goes through the TV call me.

Bills 4 life
05-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Football was meant to be controlled war. And in that war, you grab anything legal. Did you know that Ricky William's dreadlocks hanging out of his helmet were deemed legal to grab just a couple years ago? Why not a collar?
Just wait until you're watching a huge Bills game, and Spikes makes a dead on tackle, and some ***** referree named Walt or something throws a flag and says he touched the collar. When your foot goes through the TV call me.
LOL@WALT.

GOOD POINTS