HAMMER
05-25-2005, 02:30 AM
Spot on, good work Kornheiser!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7946568/

LtFinFan66
05-25-2005, 02:46 AM
Spot on, good work Kornheiser!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7946568/
Good read!! It not only knocks greedy guys but Miami U guys too. That is a bonus and earns you:posrep:

Pride
05-25-2005, 06:35 AM
Until the NFL realizes that they do not need these handful (becoming increasingly larger hands) of players... and make the players realize that without the NFL and the teams they are on... they would be in the unemployment line... this will continue to go on.

The NFL needs to take a stand and say "You play for X dollars... and you'll like it, or you can go play for the CFL or AFL". Once that is stated.. and held to... within 2 years, the players will be back willing to play for 1 million, rather than 8 million.

OpIv37
05-25-2005, 07:23 AM
The NFL needs to take a stand and say "You play for X dollars... and you'll like it, or you can go play for the CFL or AFL". Once that is stated.. and held to... within 2 years, the players will be back willing to play for 1 million, rather than 8 million.

I'd like to see that happen, but there are at least two ways it could backfire. First, some team will always act in their own self interest and overpay one of these guys to win. Second, if these guys hold out and end up in the CFL or AFL, the level of play in those leagues will increase and they could provide competition with the NFL. I just don't see the NFL taking a stand because they have too much to lose. And regardless of how much guys like TO get paid, the NFL still makes far more in advertising revenue, merchandising rights and ticket sales.

Jeff1220
05-25-2005, 08:00 AM
rofl. Great line in the article on pointing upwards after a score:

I'm never sure if they're acknowledging a supreme being or their agent in a luxury suite

ticatfan
05-25-2005, 01:01 PM
I'd like to see that happen, but there are at least two ways it could backfire. First, some team will always act in their own self interest and overpay one of these guys to win. Second, if these guys hold out and end up in the CFL or AFL, the level of play in those leagues will increase and they could provide competition with the NFL. I just don't see the NFL taking a stand because they have too much to lose. And regardless of how much guys like TO get paid, the NFL still makes far more in advertising revenue, merchandising rights and ticket sales.The CFL is a different game then the NFL. The only way the CFL would hurt the NFL is paying out the same dollars. Something that will never happen.

OpIv37
05-25-2005, 01:49 PM
The CFL is a different game then the NFL. The only way the CFL would hurt the NFL is paying out the same dollars. Something that will never happen.

It wouldn't happen overnight. But if NFL teams were only paying players $1 million like Pride suggested, I'm sure some CFL teams could afford to match. All they need is to attract a few big name players to start getting American fans and additional fans in Canada.

And yes, the game is different but techniques and skills do not change with rules and plays.

Akhippo
05-25-2005, 05:17 PM
The only problem for the CFL are the players. For one the NFL is the league. And two these guys have the egos and I couldnt see any of these me players playing in a sub standard league. It would be like offering them a million to drive an Camry or a Beamer. Being of equal value, they would still take the NFL.

wchutalkinboutwillis
05-25-2005, 05:58 PM
The only problem for the CFL are the players. For one the NFL is the league. And two these guys have the egos and I couldnt see any of these me players playing in a sub standard league. It would be like offering them a million to drive an Camry or a Beamer. Being of equal value, they would still take the NFL.
As the USFL proved, players will go wherever the most money is. That's why the CBA is so important. If the cap is gone, then essentially, corporate america owns football because their the ones who pay the advertsing dollars, buy the luxury suites, sponsorhips, etc. Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones will use those corporate dollars and spend them the same way that George Steinbrenner spends money. If the cap goes away, large market teams will spend $200mm while small market teams will spend $80mm. No question that the big companies are why teams like Dallas and Washington have such high revenues. These same big companies would not support another league until that league gets the big names that people want to watch.