PDA

View Full Version : How about Steve Christie?

Ickybaluky
05-25-2005, 03:31 PM
A lot of people here seem to hate Lindell, and John Clayton (http://espn.go.com/nfl/clayton/qhits.html) makes a pretty good case for Christie:

"One kicker who surprisingly hasn't had much action in free agency is Steve Christie. Sure, Christie is 37 years old, but he plays in a league in which good kickers can last into the mid 40s. And clearly, Christie is still a good kicker. He made 22 of 28 field goals for the Giants last season, including 17 of his last 18. Christie was three of four from 50 yards or longer."

Bring him in for competition? Or is there too much bad blood between him and Donohoe?

Dicknoze69
05-25-2005, 03:34 PM
I'd like him as competition...but the feud between Christie and Donahoe would probably get in the way.

Jan Reimers
05-25-2005, 03:39 PM
I liked Christie when he was here, but despite his numbers, I think he is way past his prime.

STAMPY
05-25-2005, 03:41 PM
I'd love to have him here, even if its for the sake nostalgia

BADTHINGSMAN
05-25-2005, 11:18 PM
If he can put a 29 yarder between the pipes go for it..

Yasgur's Farm
05-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Bringing in Christie makes a ton of sense. He remains accurate and hits a very good percentage from beyond 40 AND 50 yards.

I don't know if it's a feud between SC and TD. When he was released it was a matter of economics... Christie had a bad muscle pull which would have likely kept him out for the season (if not ended his career). Given these circumstances, coupled with his age at the time, TD decided to save the salary rather than place him on IR. It was a good decision at the time even though hind sight says different.

Mr. Miyagi
05-26-2005, 11:21 AM
I wonder if we could talk Scott Norwood or even Mikemayer out of retirement to compete with Lindell.

Kerr
05-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Time heals wounds. TD should bring Christie back just to see if he has anything left in the old leg.

THATHURMANATOR
05-26-2005, 11:52 AM
Honestly could he be worse than Lindell?

THATHURMANATOR
05-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Plus his Face is still on that huge billboard DT by the mainplace mall..

OpIv37
05-26-2005, 12:10 PM
why not? I watched the comeback game two nights ago- I'd love to see #2 line up for that game winning kick again...

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Yes, Christie please. Let him come back, kick for a few years and retire as a Bill...it just makes sense.

jamze132
05-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Heres another spin on the kicker situation:

I would just rather keep Lindel for the simple reason that I expect him to miss a field goal. If we brought in Cristie, I would expect him to make them, and when he did miss, it would be harder to accept than knowing that Lindel will miss. It's a mental thing for me. I have been so traumatized by the place kicker the last few years, that I see no way out. Someone show me the light.

pleasesavedrew
05-26-2005, 04:14 PM
I'd like him as competition...but the feud between Christie and Donahoe would probably get in the way.

What fued?

The_Philster
05-26-2005, 04:53 PM
What fued?

Christie was pissed about how Donahoe handled his injury situation and subsequent release

G. Host
05-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Bringing in Christie makes a ton of sense. He remains accurate and hits a very good percentage from beyond 40 AND 50 yards.

I don't know if it's a feud between SC and TD. When he was released it was a matter of economics... Christie had a bad muscle pull which would have likely kept him out for the season (if not ended his career). Given these circumstances, coupled with his age at the time, TD decided to save the salary rather than place him on IR. It was a good decision at the time even though hind sight says different.

Christie had told Donahoe that he would be able to kick in a couple of weeks but then Donahoe put him on IR saying that they could bring him back in 10 weeks. It was not by any manner season or career ending. Donahoe, from his experience in Pittsburgh, did not value kickers very much and he showed as much with his comments about being able to pick up good kickers two to three weeks into preseason. Donahoe decided to save cap space bringing in a cheap kicker and it was the wrong way (like cutting Ethan Albright who he tried to get back later and he said "No friggin' way") and it contributed to our poor start under his tenure.

It was a bad decision at the time and even a worse decision as reviewed

Jan Reimers
05-27-2005, 03:16 AM
I wonder if we could talk Scott Norwood or even Mikemayer out of retirement to compete with Lindell.
. . . or Pete Gogalak.

Yasgur's Farm
05-27-2005, 06:00 AM
Christie had told Donahoe that he would be able to kick in a couple of weeks but then Donahoe put him on IR saying that they could bring him back in 10 weeks. It was not by any manner season or career ending. Donahoe, from his experience in Pittsburgh, did not value kickers very much and he showed as much with his comments about being able to pick up good kickers two to three weeks into preseason. Donahoe decided to save cap space bringing in a cheap kicker and it was the wrong way (like cutting Ethan Albright who he tried to get back later and he said "No friggin' way") and it contributed to our poor start under his tenure.

It was a bad decision at the time and even a worse decision as reviewedYou make a good point. Your comments have stirred up some additional memory concerning that time.

I remember not being too shocked at his release. I thought, by his previous season's numbers, that he was on the fast decline and that his injury was simply the period on his career. I didn't disagree with his release. Td and I were wrong!