PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Jones better than Willis?

gr8slayer
05-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Here is the top guys under 25 according to nfl.com notice the name next to "RB", its Kevin Jones. Isnt Willis under 25? How is Jones better than Willis?

WR Andre Johnson Houston July 11, 1981
WR Michael Clayton Tampa Bay Oct. 13, 1982
WR Larry Fitzgerald Arizona Aug. 31, 1983
TE Antonio Gates San Diego June 18, 1980
OT Jordan Gross Carolina July 20, 1980
OT Kevin Shaffer Atlanta March 2, 1980
OG Travelle Wharton Carolina May 19, 1981
OG Montrae Holland New Orleans May 21, 1980
C Nick Hardwick San Diego Sept. 2, 1981
QB Michael Vick Atlanta June 26, 1980
RB Kevin Jones Detroit Aug. 21, 1982
FB B.J. Askew N.Y. Jets Aug. 19, 1980
LS Don Muhlbach Detroit Aug. 17, 1981
KR Terrence McGee Buffalo Oct. 14, 1980
PR Eddie Drummond Detroit April 12, 1980

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8500805 (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8500805)
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Nublar7
05-25-2005, 05:08 PM
Here is the top guys under 25 according to nfl.com notice the name next to "RB", its Kevin Jones. Isnt Willis under 25? How is Jones better than Willis?

WR Andre Johnson Houston July 11, 1981
WR Michael Clayton Tampa Bay Oct. 13, 1982
WR Larry Fitzgerald Arizona Aug. 31, 1983
TE Antonio Gates San Diego June 18, 1980
OT Jordan Gross Carolina July 20, 1980
OT Kevin Shaffer Atlanta March 2, 1980
OG Travelle Wharton Carolina May 19, 1981
OG Montrae Holland New Orleans May 21, 1980
C Nick Hardwick San Diego Sept. 2, 1981
QB Michael Vick Atlanta June 26, 1980
RB Kevin Jones Detroit Aug. 21, 1982
FB B.J. Askew N.Y. Jets Aug. 19, 1980
LS Don Muhlbach Detroit Aug. 17, 1981
KR Terrence McGee Buffalo Oct. 14, 1980
PR Eddie Drummond Detroit April 12, 1980

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8500805 (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8500805)
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->I would take Willis over Jones any day of the week. I think Willis is currently 23 I believe.

gr8slayer
05-25-2005, 05:09 PM
Thats what I thought too.

Bills 4 life
05-25-2005, 05:28 PM
didnt Evans have better #'s than Clayton last year?

gr8slayer
05-25-2005, 05:32 PM
didnt Evans have better #'s than Clayton last year?No. Clayton had a much better year stats wise.

the dude
05-25-2005, 08:16 PM
No. Clayton had a much better year stats wise.
more receptions but fewer TDs than Lee ...

gr8slayer
05-25-2005, 08:42 PM
more receptions but fewer TDs than Lee ...He also had more yards.

ShadowHawk7
05-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Yeah, Clayton was hands down ROY if it wasnt for Big Ben. But I would take Willis over Jones.

Mr.Reality
05-25-2005, 09:35 PM
I dunno if Jones is better than McGahee, but he's pretty good. He'd have had another 300 yards last year if Mooch wasn't an idiot.

camelcowboy
05-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Jones is more of a home run threat. Wills has shown more power, and a wicked stiff arm. If he gets his college speed back watch out.

Tatonka
05-26-2005, 12:48 AM
I dunno if Jones is better than McGahee, but he's pretty good. He'd have had another 300 yards last year if Mooch wasn't an idiot.

i agree.

LtFinFan66
05-26-2005, 02:25 AM
I'd take Willis over Jones all day

Ickybaluky
05-26-2005, 03:10 AM
If you look at the numbers, the argument that Jones is better holds weight:

Jones:

241 att for 1133 yards (4.7 ypa), 5 TD
28 rec for 180 yards (6.4 ypr), 1 TD

Jones got off to a slow start, getting banged up and not becoming a full-time player until the 2nd half. However, he tore up the league in the 2nd half, rushing 172 times for 906 yards (5.3 ypc), 4 TDs after becoming a starter in week 10.

McGahee:

284 att for 1128 yards (4.0 ypa), 13 TD
22 rec for 169 yards (7.7 ypr), 0 TD

McGahee saved the Bills season once he started to get the ball in week 6, proving to be the horse which they built their run game around.

I know you guys like McGahee, but Jones proved to be a pretty explosive player, and he wasn't shut down by anyone after becoming a starter. McGahee was shut down in several games, and when you look at the numbers Jones put up was a starter it is easy to make an argument he is a better player. I realize you guys all really love McGahee, but be a little un-biased.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-26-2005, 04:50 AM
Jones is more of a home run threat. Wills has shown more power, and a wicked stiff arm. If he gets his college speed back watch out.
That was the difference between them last season. But, with Willis finally able to do some speed work in the off-season, I would expect him to be just as much of a home run threat as K.Jones this season.

Based on the stats, I would have to give the edge to K.Jones, just barely, last season, but, personally, I like Willis' toughness, hard running and nose for the goal-line a bit more and think he will overtake K.Jones as he continues to regain his speed.

Let's put it this way: if I were picking for my fantasy football team for this up-coming season and I had a choice between them, I would take W.McGahee over J.Jones and, then, K.Jones in that order--which is not to say that K.Jones isn't going to put up some good numbers--he will--but I think the other two are going to be more consistently productive within their offenses.

EDS
05-26-2005, 07:41 AM

The interesting thing there is that Jones timed much slower in the 40 then anticipated.

The King
05-26-2005, 07:46 AM
I think its way to early in their careers to compare. Neither one has even played a full season.

I will say this though. McGahee has the best stiff arm in the league.
and... I bet Jones is less likely to **** the lions over.

I like Willis but I have this feeling that he is going to be a royal dickhead some where down the line.

The Spaz
05-26-2005, 07:51 AM

Jones:

Jones got off to a slow start, getting banged up and not becoming a full-time player until the 2nd half. However, he tore up the league in the 2nd half, rushing 172 times for 906 yards (5.3 ypc), 4 TDs after becoming a starter in week 10.

McGahee:

McGahee saved the Bills season once he started to get the ball in week 6, proving to be the horse which they built their run game around.

I know you guys like McGahee, but Jones proved to be a pretty explosive player, and he wasn't shut down by anyone after becoming a starter. McGahee was shut down in several games, and when you look at the numbers Jones put up was a starter it is easy to make an argument he is a better player. I realize you guys all really love McGahee, but be a little un-biased.

:rolleyes:

Tatonka
05-26-2005, 07:59 AM
they are both my keepers in my big ff league.. so i like them both.. and obviously, since jones is my alum, i am partial to him. he was incredible in college and just ran slow at the combine and workout.. but if you watched him in college, you know he is a burner, but also has power and size. the two backs are actually alot alike.. except willis will have more of a "U of Miami" attitude by the end of this year. Jones will play out his contract and wont open his mouth.

sb_bound
05-26-2005, 08:20 AM
Jones is better than Willis only in Jones' dreams. This list was composed by Detroit Lions fans.

Mahdi
05-26-2005, 10:10 AM
I think we also have to remember that Willis was being smacked in the backfield half the time and still got his yards and TDs.

kbeath
05-26-2005, 10:14 AM
J.Jones is better than both. But K. Jones and WM are about equal talent wise. I had KJ last year in ff and if his coach didnt keep sitting him he would have ran for over 1500yds. That is pretty dynamic. I do think Willis will be better with a year of healing and speed resurgance but J.Jones is the Real Deal he came back of an injury and had some truly jaw-dropping runs.

kbeath
05-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Here are some stats
7 Starts 197 rushes 819 yds 7td 53 long 4.2 avg.
In a season
390 rushes 1872 yds 16td 53 long 4.2 Avg.
That kills what WM and KJ did or will prob. ever do.

ryven
05-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Here are some stats
In a season

I think we should wait to judge willis until this upcoming season is over. If he comes in a 100% I think he will have around 4.5 ypc.

ryven
05-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Here are some stats
In a season

oh and and at those season stats he would only 1638 at a 4.2 ypc.

NJFINSFAN1
05-26-2005, 11:35 AM
It's really to early to tell. Let them both play a full year, then we can tell better. They are both darn good!

I kind of like what J. Jones did also, I agree with kbeath, he just may be better then both of the above.

Sportsuser101
05-26-2005, 12:04 PM

Jones:

McGahee:

Jones didn't get shut down by anyone? Dallas and Washington didn't shut him down since he became full-time starter? I know for a fact that Jones became full-time starter after the Giant game. McGahee was shut down by New England and Cinci. McGahee is much better player then Jones and McGahee wasn't even at full strength. Not to mention he scored a ton more TDs then Jones.

Sportsuser101
05-26-2005, 12:07 PM
J.Jones is better than both. But K. Jones and WM are about equal talent wise. I had KJ last year in ff and if his coach didnt keep sitting him he would have ran for over 1500yds. That is pretty dynamic. I do think Willis will be better with a year of healing and speed resurgance but J.Jones is the Real Deal he came back of an injury and had some truly jaw-dropping runs.
Just a question. How did JJ do against the good defenses like Baltimore, Philly & Washington? I'm as big of a ND fan as you can get but JJ is not a better back then either of them. He can't handle the work load.

Stewie
05-26-2005, 12:17 PM
If kevin jones is such a home run threat, why did he only score 5 td's?

gr8slayer
05-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Here are some stats
In a season
That kills what WM and KJ did or will prob. ever do.Yeah against crappy D's. Bring your Cowboy sissy asses over to the AFC and play against some real teams then well talk.

kbeath
05-26-2005, 12:48 PM
First off hahahaha Trust this I hate the Cowboys!!! I just know talent when I see it. Dallas had a cruddy line and the man was running over and past people after recovering from a collar bone fracture. When he is at full strength this year he will be nasty! I dont like Notre Dame and I sure as hell dont like dallas, Just to clear that up. I am a AFC fan and like the Hurricanes so its nothing personal against WM I just think JJones is going to be a great one.

kbeath
05-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Tough Defenses against WM?:lmao: hehe Oh yeah and Miami's rush defense was real tough last year, New Englands and the jets Rush D was GOOD what about SF, Seattle and the rams and a bunch of teams the Bills played last year with no D. Know your info before you spout at the mouth. No matter fact WM faced the 20,22,23,26,27,29 and the 31st ranked rush defenses last year. Wow he really was showing his stuff against the big doggs .:sorry:

kbeath
05-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Oh yeah and the 32nd. Sorry I wouldnt want to give false info. hehe

kbeath
05-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Jones didn't get shut down by anyone? Dallas and Washington didn't shut him down since he became full-time starter? I know for a fact that Jones became full-time starter after the Giant game. McGahee was shut down by New England and Cinci. McGahee is much better player then Jones and McGahee wasn't even at full strength. Not to mention he scored a ton more TDs then Jones.Just for the record Washingtons D is great and Dallas was top 10 and Cincys run D sucks so didnt you just prove the wrong point? I will give you that WM is very good around the goalline but you should realize that a RB has to do more than score td's it is very important but there are other things. Tough first down conversions, long runs on first down, and clock control to name a few.:tip:

Sportsuser101
05-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Tough Defenses against WM?:lmao: hehe Oh yeah and Miami's rush defense was real tough last year, New Englands and the jets Rush D was GOOD what about SF, Seattle and the rams and a bunch of teams the Bills played last year with no D. Know your info before you spout at the mouth. No matter fact WM faced the 20,22,23,26,27,29 and the 31st ranked rush defenses last year. Wow he really was showing his stuff against the big doggs .:sorry: I think you failed to mention where the Jets, Steelers and Patriots were ranked.

Sportsuser101
05-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Just for the record Washingtons D is great and Dallas was top 10 and Cincys run D sucks so didnt you just prove the wrong point? I will give you that WM is very good around the goalline but you should realize that a RB has to do more than score td's it is very important but there are other things. Tough first down conversions, long runs on first down, and clock control to name a few.:tip:
1st of all. what the hell are you talking about? I was saying that JJ didn't do well against good defenses.. WM for the most part did. I didn't include JJ horrible game against the lousy Saints defense now did I? Has to do more then score TDs? The guy scored 13 TDs and 1000 yards in his 11 starts. And this is with WM still not playing at full strength. Lets not compare JJ and WM especially when you consider the offensive lines. Heck with our offensive line next year WM will out play JJ who will break down because he's not an every down back.

Sportsuser101
05-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Just for the record Washingtons D is great and Dallas was top 10 and Cincys run D sucks so didnt you just prove the wrong point? I will give you that WM is very good around the goalline but you should realize that a RB has to do more than score td's it is very important but there are other things. Tough first down conversions, long runs on first down, and clock control to name a few.:tip: And for the record JJ played against the Ravens, Bears, Seahawks, Saints, Eagles, Redskins and Giants (averaged together as the 19th best defense against the run).

WM played against the Jets, Patriots,Cards, Bengals, Dolphins twice, Steelers, Rams, Seahawks, Brown and 49ers (averaged together as the 18th best defense against the run).

Know your info before you spout your mouth.

gr8slayer
05-26-2005, 02:53 PM
And for the record JJ played against the Ravens, Bears, Seahawks, Saints, Eagles, Redskins and Giants (averaged together as the 19th best defense against the run).

WM played against the Jets, Patriots,Cards, Bengals, Dolphins twice, Steelers, Rams, Seahawks, Brown and 49ers (averaged together as the 18th best defense against the run).

Know your info before you spout your mouth.Good looking out.

Crisis
05-26-2005, 05:55 PM

Jones:

McGahee:

One difference: Willis plays in the AFCE, and the Lions play in a weak conference and weak division.

Ickybaluky
05-26-2005, 06:25 PM
One difference: Willis plays in the AFCE, and the Lions play in a weak conference and weak division.

Just for the record, I don't think Julius Jones is as good as Kevin Jones or McGahee. IMO, Julius Jones has tremendous physical skills and is a good player, but he doesn't have the run skills of Kevin Jones or McGahee. Julius Jones will run to daylight and if he has blocking can make a lot of yards because he is big and fast. Kevin Jones and McGahee are much better as setting up blocks and juking guys.

It is true that Kevin Jones didn't play as tough a schedule as McGahee, but he also ate up everyone he played once he got in the lineup. There was no RB hotter down the stretch last season. Over a 9-game period, once he got healthy and became the starter, he averaged 100 yards a game and 5.3 ypc, which is pretty amazing for a stretch that long. I think the kid is special and is going to be real good for a long time.

Granted, McGahee was very impressive last year as well, particularly given the fact so much was put on his shoulders during the Bills' push to get into the playoffs. My point isn't to discredit what McGahee did, but rather to say it isn't outrageous for someone to say they like Jones better. Both are top young players that have bright futures, but to say McGahee is much better than Kevin Jones is not recognizing how good a player Kevin Jones proved to be last year. You could make an argument for either guy.

FinNasty23
05-26-2005, 08:37 PM
both are freakin awesome and are gunna be in the top 5 RBs in the league in a couple of years... but I think K. Jones is gunna have a better year this year because i think teams are gunna be stackin the box on you guys because of your rookie QB. and the Lions offense has a huge threat passing the ball forcing teams to play off the line of scrimige. Also, ur o-line isnt gunna be great this year and I think the Lions line is pretty good and underrated. but like i said... both are great.

Nasty

R. Rich
05-27-2005, 01:01 PM

I like Julius Jones a lot. When we had our draft in the BillsZone simulated GM league, that's who I took as my feature back. Like you mentioned, I was impressed by what he did in as few starts as he had. He had 3 games of 150 or more yards rushing in about half a season's worth of starts.

Sportsuser101
05-27-2005, 01:35 PM
I like Julius Jones a lot. When we had our draft in the BillsZone simulated GM league, that's who I took as my feature back. Like you mentioned, I was impressed by what he did in as few starts as he had. He had 3 games of 150 or more yards rushing in about half a season's worth of starts.
I drafted Kevin Jones with the 190th pick. :peace:

Willis went with the 15th pick.