X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wchutalkinboutwillis
    • Mar 2005

McGahee and speed

Willis proved last year that he is the Man and that he deserves to start on his football team. The one noticeable weakness I observed was his lack of breakaway speed. His longest run was only 41 yds, and while he literally dominated tacklers at the line of scrimmage, he was unable to bust away once he got beyond 15-20 yds. Was this because many of his runs were designed to the outside? Or, is it something else?

"If I had my way, I'd shuffle off to Buffalo. Sit by the lake and watch the world go by." Fogerty
  • mypoorfriendme
    • Apr 2003

he is rarely caught up from behind...long runs in the nfl are few and far between.

anything over 20 yards is considered a long run, and he had plenty of those.

speed is not an issue, especially considering he was 100% last year
    the dude abides

Comment

• Marvelous
      • Feb 2004

I recall 2 big plays where there was a penalty. A screen he took for a huge gain. and a long run that was called back for holding. IMO he has good football speed. Like he is faster when he is being chased. I think he gets faster & more healed.
      GO BILLS!!! NE
      Magical Trevor

Comment

• Johnny Utah
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Feb 2005

I've heard that Willis has seemed faster this offseason. Wasn't he at like 85% healthy last season? I do hope he's getting that bionic stiff arm ready. I think this season we're going to see the real monster that is Willis Mcgahee.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

His knee should now be completely healed so that he can work on speed drills this offseason. He did not have anywhere near his former burst last year.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
            His knee should now be completely healed so that he can work on speed drills this offseason. He did not have anywhere near his former burst last year.
            Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• madness23
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Johnny Utah
              I've heard that Willis has seemed faster this offseason. Wasn't he at like 85% healthy last season? I do hope he's getting that bionic stiff arm ready. I think this season we're going to see the real monster that is Willis Mcgahee.
              Willis McGahee and the Bionic Stiff Arm - I like the sound of that.

Comment

• ryven
                • Jan 2003

I think with willis still recouping last year he did not have that breakaway speed this year however I believe his speed will be back and there was one other thing that was missing last year and that was he did not have the cut back ability he had in college and I think you will see that this year.

Comment

• TedMock
                  • Jul 2002

[QUOTE=Johnny Utah]I've heard that Willis has seemed faster this offseason. Wasn't he at like 85% healthy last season? QUOTE]

Yes, and still running under a 4.5. I don't think speed was an issue, I think having to break so many tackles at the beginning of the run played a part. He did have a couple big ones called back too. I'm not sure how long they were though.

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

Willis wasnt 100% last year, he said it himself. One play last year where you can really see that he wasnt running as fast as he is capable of was that toss play against Seattle that they show on the Bills 2004 greatest moment Highlights. Even though he makes it to the endzone you can tell when he is running that his legs arent moving that fast. He should be much faster this year.

Comment

• jpdex12
                      • Jan 2005

[QUOTE=TedMock]
                      Originally posted by Johnny Utah
                      I've heard that Willis has seemed faster this offseason. Wasn't he at like 85% healthy last season? QUOTE]

Yes, and still running under a 4.5. I don't think speed was an issue, I think having to break so many tackles at the beginning of the run played a part. He did have a couple big ones called back too. I'm not sure how long they were though.
                      Willis has also bulked up more from his college days and this naturally will slow someone up a step. His confidence and swagger will be back to college day form this year along with that noticeable burst and cut back that he had in college. I agree that an improved line will allow him to break more long runs. Hopefully this year's line does that.
                      Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                        Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                        Thats what I thought as well. I think we'll see him break it a lot more this year.
                        "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                        -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

2 things here.

1. Willis McGahee would have had a 98 yard TD run if not for some dirtbag intentionally tripping him. Willis was gone. I think it was the Pissburgh game.

2. Willis McGahee will make the pro bowl this year and will lead all NFL RBs in TDs, if he stays healthy. Mark my words.

Oh yeah, and after this season, he holds out for a bigger check.

Comment

• Patti120
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by jamze132
                            2 things here.

1. Willis McGahee would have had a 98 yard TD run if not for some dirtbag intentionally tripping him. Willis was gone. I think it was the Pissburgh game.

2. Willis McGahee will make the pro bowl this year and will lead all NFL RBs in TDs, if he stays healthy. Mark my words.

Oh yeah, and after this season, he holds out for a bigger check.

The key is definitely staying healthy, and hopefully he doesn't buy into Rosenhaus's b.s. and hold out.

Comment

• wchutalkinboutwillis
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Patti120
                              The key is definitely staying healthy, and hopefully he doesn't buy into Rosenhaus's b.s. and hold out.
                              Staying healthy and getting healthier is the key. I think someone mentioned that Willis was only at about 85% last year. I agree and that was what kept him from breaking more long runs. Not to over-critique, but he did seem tentative at times. I think his confidence and physical ability will be at 100% this year and we'll see a big upgrade to the preview we saw last season.That's right, upgrade. He's got "a lotta more." Clubber Lang, Rocky II

"If I had my way, I'd shuffle off to Buffalo. Sit by the lake and watch the world go by." Fogerty

Comment

Working...
                              X