PDA

View Full Version : More OTA Info

LifetimeBillsFan
05-27-2005, 01:37 AM
In a brief blurb from WGRZ about Thursday's OTA practice, it was noted that RaShard Lee, the FA RN the Bills recently signed got the bulk of the work at RB during the practice as Willis McGahee opted not to take part in the practice:

"Lee saw the bulk of the load in drills today as the Bills wrapped up their latest minicamp. McGahee opted not to take part in the voluntary practice."
(URL: http://www.wgrz.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=28772)

I thought it a bit curious that Willis chose not to take part in the practice--it doesn't say if it was the entire practice or just the part of the practice where they ran plays, etc.--I hope it was just a case of his wanting to avoid any unnecessary wear and tear on his body and not an indication of any physical problem or the beginnings of some off-field issue.

I was a little surprised to see that Lee got so much work, but perhaps it was also a case of the coaches wanting to give the new guy as many reps as possible to get him more familiar with the playbook in Willis' absence.

mysticsoto
05-27-2005, 08:51 AM
In a brief blurb from WGRZ about Thursday's OTA practice, it was noted that RaShard Lee, the FA RN the Bills recently signed got the bulk of the work at RB during the practice as Willis McGahee opted not to take part in the practice:

"Lee saw the bulk of the load in drills today as the Bills wrapped up their latest minicamp. McGahee opted not to take part in the voluntary practice."
(URL: http://www.wgrz.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=28772)

I thought it a bit curious that Willis chose not to take part in the practice--it doesn't say if it was the entire practice or just the part of the practice where they ran plays, etc.--I hope it was just a case of his wanting to avoid any unnecessary wear and tear on his body and not an indication of any physical problem or the beginnings of some off-field issue.

I was a little surprised to see that Lee got so much work, but perhaps it was also a case of the coaches wanting to give the new guy as many reps as possible to get him more familiar with the playbook in Willis' absence.
I think this is preferable. We already know what WM can do, let's see what the others can do. With Lee battling it out for 2nd string, he needs to show what he can do and whether he can handle it. I applaud this...

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-27-2005, 08:54 AM
They know Lee is horribly lacking in pass protection skills, I am sure they are trying to get him additional reps to figure out what he is doing wrong. At least Willis showed up.

feelthepain
05-27-2005, 09:46 AM
I think this is preferable. We already know what WM can do, let's see what the others can do. With Lee battling it out for 2nd string, he needs to show what he can do and whether he can handle it. I applaud this...

I know your trying to put a positive spin on this, but I would not be happy if I read that. I know Willis had a good year last year, but to follow that up with another is tougher. The better he runs the more teams will try to stop him.
Ricky went from 1853 to about 1300 yrds in his second season with us. Both years we were around 10 wins and I know this won't sit well here, but before Ricky left he was a much better back then Willis. If there is a drop off for Ricky I'm sure there "could be" for Willis. I would want him in every off season event. How is it ok for him to miss any practice??? He still hasn't played a full season, and this is his third year. This might be nothing at all, or it could be his knee!!! I know there is nothing the fans can do, but to take such a carefree attitude would be tough for me given Willis's past knee injury. until I knew why he was not taking part in the offseason camps, I would be worried. But I guess thats just me.

Michael82
05-27-2005, 09:54 AM
He's probably working out at Miami.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2005/05/06/a1c_UM_0506.html

juice
05-27-2005, 10:18 AM
I know your trying to put a positive spin on this, but I would not be happy if I read that. I know Willis had a good year last year, but to follow that up with another is tougher. The better he runs the more teams will try to stop him.
Ricky went from 1853 to about 1300 yrds in his second season with us. Both years we were around 10 wins and I know this won't sit well here, but before Ricky left he was a much better back then Willis. If there is a drop off for Ricky I'm sure there "could be" for Willis. I would want him in every off season event. How is it ok for him to miss any practice??? He still hasn't played a full season, and this is his third year. This might be nothing at all, or it could be his knee!!! I know there is nothing the fans can do, but to take such a carefree attitude would be tough for me given Willis's past knee injury. until I knew why he was not taking part in the offseason camps, I would be worried. But I guess thats just me.Sticky Ricky was being overused by Wanny and his staff and with limilted results.. 10-6 every year with no playoffs.

feelthepain
05-27-2005, 10:23 AM
He's probably working out at Miami.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2005/05/06/a1c_UM_0506.html

He was loved in southbeach!!

feelthepain
05-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Sticky Ricky was being overused by Wanny and his staff and with limilted results.. 10-6 every year with no playoffs.
I would agree, but Ricky all by himself practically beat the Bill's on what I believe was a Monday night, 2 years ago. It was early in the season and it was nationally televised. Our whole schedule that year I'm sure was watching and you had a good D! That year saw Ricky run all ove the Bills. Being the terrible coach wanny was he tried to use the same gameplan the rest of the year, infact if I'm not mistaken Ricky was 65% of our total O for the YEAR!!!! This was also Ricky's final season with us you would have quit too if you were in his shoes. DW's coaching, or lack their of draged this team down in more ways then one. Willis is a big part of your O and if you think teams will not be keying on Willis far moe this year then your crazy. This will be his real sophmore season and we all know about the curse. I'm not sayin it will happen I'm just sayin he needs to be at every practice, especially with the issues with Henry.

juice
05-27-2005, 10:48 AM
I would agree, but Ricky all by himself practically beat the Bill's on what I believe was a Monday night, 2 years ago. It was early in the season and it was nationally televised. Our whole schedule that year I'm sure was watching and you had a good D! That year saw Ricky run all ove the Bills. Being the terrible coach wanny was he tried to use the same gameplan the rest of the year, infact if I'm not mistaken Ricky was 65% of our total O for the YEAR!!!! This was also Ricky's final season with us you would have quit too if you were in his shoes. DW's coaching, or lack their of draged this team down in more ways then one. Willis is a big part of your O and if you think teams will not be keying on Willis far moe this year then your crazy. This will be his real sophmore season and we all know about the curse. I'm not sayin it will happen I'm just sayin he needs to be at every practice, especially with the issues with Henry.Yeah you beat the Bills and missed the playoffs, again that shows that Ricky was overused in that offense which was apparent when he left, 10-6 turned to 4-12.

There is the reason that Willis isn't and shouldn't be required to participate in OTA's in May, if you have a freak accident like a Hamstring of Groin pull then it will hamper him going into the season.. Edge skips most of these OTA's every year and still performs it keeps him from wearing down in Nov. or Dec.

Willis will be ready to go by TC, I never put much thought into curses.. I'm more of a preparation and conditioning guy and I think there can be problems with too much conditioning at skilled positions.

mysticsoto
05-27-2005, 10:49 AM
Ricky went from 1853 to about 1300 yrds in his second season with us. Both years we were around 10 wins and I know this won't sit well here, but before Ricky left he was a much better back then Willis. If there is a drop off for Ricky I'm sure there "could be" for Willis. I would want him in every off season event. How is it ok for him to miss any practice??? He still hasn't played a full season, and this is his third year. This might be nothing at all, or it could be his knee!!! I know there is nothing the fans can do, but to take such a carefree attitude would be tough for me given Willis's past knee injury. until I knew why he was not taking part in the offseason camps, I would be worried. But I guess thats just me.
Well of course, I'm a positive person. But here are some things for you to consider. If WM was in any way not up to full capacity, do you think TD would be shopping TH??? I sincerely doubt it. Add to that, that they made an effort for the A-train - but apparently not too strong an effort. If WM wasn't close to 100%, they would definitely have made a stronger effort for him also.

I think the situation with Miami is slightly different. As you mentioned, RW was a HUGE part of your offense and you just placed too much of the burden on him. You didn't have a good QB to help out and your O-line really wasn't great - RW just made them look decent. When RW left, all the weaknesses of your team on offense were exposed and this led to your terrible season last year.

In our case, we have a good supporting cast around Willis. We've upgraded most of the front line, we've added to our receiving dept which should give us an outstanding receiver corp, and we've added a QB that doesn't stand around like a deer in headlights. TE is our current biggest weakness right now, but all signs point to a good recovery by both Campbell and Euhus.

I think WM is in a much better position than RW was, and this is why I think he'll succeed.

HAMMER
05-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Just read the article that Mikey posted. Willis and his other UM buds are hittin it hard at the U. These are voluntary workouts folks, don't read into it. Willis will be ready to go! I'm sure Rosenpenis has already had the talk with him about putting up some huge numbers so they can back the Brinks truck up at OBD next spring.

giusey1for-bills
05-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Predictions are unforeseen, but the sooner the game is played, our words will be reconed.

kevinj22
05-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Not only was Ricky overused, he was also not coming off of knee surgery (major). So to compare the two backs is stupid at this point. Let WM have a couple of more years in the league before we do any comparison. Oh and by the way the Dolphins still suck.

jamze132
05-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Maybe the Marijuana had a part in Ricky's sophmore slump?

feelthepain
05-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Well of course, I'm a positive person. But here are some things for you to consider. If WM was in any way not up to full capacity, do you think TD would be shopping TH??? I sincerely doubt it. Add to that, that they made an effort for the A-train - but apparently not too strong an effort. If WM wasn't close to 100%, they would definitely have made a stronger effort for him also.

I think the situation with Miami is slightly different. As you mentioned, RW was a HUGE part of your offense and you just placed too much of the burden on him. You didn't have a good QB to help out and your O-line really wasn't great - RW just made them look decent. When RW left, all the weaknesses of your team on offense were exposed and this led to your terrible season last year.

In our case, we have a good supporting cast around Willis. We've upgraded most of the front line, we've added to our receiving dept which should give us an outstanding receiver corp, and we've added a QB that doesn't stand around like a deer in headlights. TE is our current biggest weakness right now, but all signs point to a good recovery by both Campbell and Euhus.

I think WM is in a much better position than RW was, and this is why I think he'll succeed.

To answer your question, I think it's very possible that TD would shop Henry no matter what. TH has issues with your team and if Henry decides not to play no matter how hard TD tries to get him to play, then your whole backfield will be weakend. I would think a smart GM would be thinking we can't rely on Henry and would make the bacfield stronger NO MATTER WHAT!!! I think this was another droped ball from TD. You could face some serious issues if Henry holds out and Willis has to carry the whole load. Is this a good possibility, I think so. TD should have focused on the RB and line position this off season.

Ricky did make the team look better, but he was only part of the reason we were 4-12, NOT the only reason. Any O-line that has a back of Ricky's caliber would look less impessive without him. Our line were all togehter for the first time and needed time to gel, add DW's inept O and you can see there were a whole lot of things that lead to our bad record. So even had Ricky returned we still would have had a bad season. As for not having a good QB, as much as I hated Jay Fiedler he did have one of the best winning %'s of any starting QB. You don't get that if tour not at least a good QB.

Of all the posters here I didn't expect such an over estimate about your up grades as what I just read. You "did not" do much to imrove your line. If you break it down, your upgrades to your line were more of avg. players if that. Your GM did very little to help your line and did the same with your RB position. You did add a good "college" WR to your fold. But the problem with Parish is he is a small WR and in this league the corners are bigger stronger and faster. Parrish better figure out a way to get off the line or he will be dominated in the pros. Parish was a KR/PR but he couldn't compare Hesters ability on the Canes so he did little returning his last two season with the Canes. None the less, Parish has talent and could prove to be a threat.

mysticsoto
05-28-2005, 09:58 PM
To answer your question, I think it's very possible that TD would shop Henry no matter what. TH has issues with your team and if Henry decides not to play no matter how hard TD tries to get him to play, then your whole backfield will be weakend. I would think a smart GM would be thinking we can't rely on Henry and would make the bacfield stronger NO MATTER WHAT!!! I think this was another droped ball from TD. You could face some serious issues if Henry holds out and Willis has to carry the whole load. Is this a good possibility, I think so. TD should have focused on the RB and line position this off season. Henry is a professional and will play. Despite all the idioticies he has done, not playing will hurt his career even more than sitting and pouting on the bench, but playing. First, other teams that may have an interest in him will want to see him play and see if he is still hurt or not. You can pass a physical all you want, but teams are going to wonder if he can still play and the best way to prove that is to do just that - play. I don't think TD dropped the ball. If the best offer he got was a 5th rder for him, that's nothing - that's what you might offer for a backup player - not a starting player. TH can and has started. There are many teams that would benefit from having him and I think Tennessee is one of them. Minnesota might be another. Regardless, giving him away for nothing would be worse and I think people here - maybe even yourself, would have criticized TD if he had gave him away for just a 5th!!!

Ricky did make the team look better, but he was only part of the reason we were 4-12, NOT the only reason. Any O-line that has a back of Ricky's caliber would look less impessive without him. Our line were all togehter for the first time and needed time to gel, add DW's inept O and you can see there were a whole lot of things that lead to our bad record. So even had Ricky returned we still would have had a bad season. As for not having a good QB, as much as I hated Jay Fiedler he did have one of the best winning %'s of any starting QB. You don't get that if tour not at least a good QB. I think you place alot of the blame on DW and quite frankly I think it is undeserved. I think RW is a big part of your success and had you had a decent QB & WR corp, you could have been dangerous. But despite Fiedler's stats, he's an avg QB at best, and Feeley is sub-average! Had Boston been able to produce, it would have been a good move to bring him, but as it turns out - it looks like that was a bad move and his best years may be behind him.

Of all the posters here I didn't expect such an over estimate about your up grades as what I just read. You "did not" do much to imrove your line. If you break it down, your upgrades to your line were more of avg. players if that. Your GM did very little to help your line and did the same with your RB position. You did add a good "college" WR to your fold. But the problem with Parish is he is a small WR and in this league the corners are bigger stronger and faster. Parrish better figure out a way to get off the line or he will be dominated in the pros. Parish was a KR/PR but he couldn't compare Hesters ability on the Canes so he did little returning his last two season with the Canes. None the less, Parish has talent and could prove to be a threat. Over-estimate? I'm simply stating that I think the offense that surrounds WM is of a higher calibre than that that surrounded RW. Perhaps you don't agree with that statement, but regardless, the upgrades that have occurred will make us even better. B. Anderson will be an upgrade at LG! Lawrence Smith - though greatly improved, struggled within the 1st few games forcing a change and Ross Tucker taking over. And though Tucker did okay, he didn't exactly move linemen out of the way for Willis. Willis ALMOST ALWAYS ran to his right and got his yards to his right with CV and WM. With Anderson at LG, Willis may now have more options as to where he wants to run to.

You correctly point out that although he has potential, Parrish has to prove himself in the NFL. All signs point to him doing so.

We had also grabbed a really promising TE (which I didn't agree with at 1st, but the choice grew on me the more I heard about him). An excellent choice who was even faster than Winslow, with perhaps less experience. We may get him back part way through the year, and he seems like he might add a dimension to our team that we've lacked in a long while.

So...I think I have reason to be optimistic - as most Bill fans are of this team. It's still early in the offseason and we have a ways to wait before training camp even begins. My only concern is not to have any Winslow's on the team and to keep any motorcycles locked up. :)