PDA

View Full Version : Possible post-June 1 cuts

Ickybaluky
05-27-2005, 09:30 AM
I've seen some threads regarding possible cap casualties for June 2, so it seemed like a good opportunity to make a list. The following is my list of players rumored as possibly being cut, feel free to add to it as you wish:

- Mike Barrow, LB, Was - Pretty certain to be released, it will free up a couple of million on the cap for the Redskins, which they need for their draft picks.

- Chad Morton, KR, Was - It wouldn't save them a ton, so they may bring him to camp and make him earn a spot. It has been rumored, however, and if they sign R.J. McQuarters he would lose his spot on returns.

- Charlie Garner, OT, TB - Coming off injury and TB drafted RB Cadillac Williams. The Bucs needs cap room and Garner is a place they can find it.

- Todd Steussie, OT, TB - Like I said, the Bucs need room and Steussie is a hunk of room. Played poorly last year, and has been declining the last couple years.

- Johnnie Morton, WR, KC - Has resisted having his contract restructured, so KC may let him go. They would like to keep him for less money, but if he doesn't agree they will let him go.

- Rich Gannon, QB, Oak - Will retire due to neck injury.

- Kyle Turley, OT, StL - Is coming off a back injury, has lost a lot of weight (along with his mind) and will not be back with the Rams. Says he wants to return to the NFL as a DE, since it will not hurt his back as much.

- Scott Gragg, OT, SF - Veteran OT makes too much and SF is going young. He will be released and may still have a couple years left to help a team at RT.

- Kendyl Jacox, OG, NO - NO has shuffled their OL and Jacox is the odd man out. Will land somewhere as a backup.

- Bobby Taylor, CB, Sea - Signed last year, Sea has already replaced him and he will be let go.

- Mike Logan, S, Pit - A backup now in Pit, he could be cut to save cap room.

- Lance Schulters, S, Ten - Ten cap problems are so severe, the Schulters will be let go. Still considered a quality FS and will attract interest.

I left Was WR Rod Gardner off the list because I don't think he will be released soon. Though Was has been trying to trade Gardner and is rumored to be thinking of releasing him if they can't, the June 1 date isn't a real big factor for them since he is in the last year of his contract anyway. Though he would save them over $2M, they likely will hold onto him a while longer to see if they can get a pick for him.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-27-2005, 09:37 AM
With the salary cap thinking these days the June 1 cuts aren't like they use to be.

The_Philster
05-27-2005, 09:46 AM
With the salary cap thinking these days the June 1 cuts aren't like they use to be.

a lot of GMs have learned how to manage the cap better than in the past

ryjam282
05-27-2005, 10:15 AM
I would like us to maybe take a shot at Steussie and Garner. Assuming of course we dump Henry to someone.

Make Steussie earn the starting role.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-27-2005, 10:18 AM
a lot of GMs have learned how to manage the cap better than in the past

Yeah, that is what I was getting at. June 1 is not what it use to be.

Sportsuser101
05-27-2005, 01:29 PM
The Redskins took Gardner off the trading block a few days before the draft and said they wanted to keep him. They rejected 2 trades before the draft so I doubt very much that they release him.

TedMock
05-27-2005, 02:27 PM
The Redskins took Gardner off the trading block a few days before the draft and said they wanted to keep him. They rejected 2 trades before the draft so I doubt very much that they release him.

He's been a no-show at OTA's, and rumor out here is that they're going to let him go. I agree with you that it doesn't make sense, but the Redskins have been doing stupid things the last several years. Hey, look at the Cardinals LJ Shelton situation.

Devin
05-27-2005, 02:37 PM
a lot of OL potentials there.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-28-2005, 01:04 AM
If the Bills bring in an O-lineman--and I don't have any idea whether they will or not--it could be S.Gragg.

Gragg played for Coach McNally before with the NY Giants: it was McNally who developed Gragg from virtually nothing to begin with and Graggs' best seasons--the ones that got him his current contract with SF--came while playing for McNally, where he first became a starter. Also, Gragg would probably come cheaper than Steussie and with less baggage (Steussie is one of the players who reported got steroids from the MD in the Carolina steroids scandal).

I don't know if Gragg would be much of an improvement over the guys that we already have to compete for the LT spot, but he would have the advantage of knowing the way that McNally wants things done and having had some success working under McNally. Still, I'm not sure that the Bills will be looking to bring in anyone else at this point.

clumping platelets
05-28-2005, 03:49 AM
Johnnie Morton for the minimum