Could '64 Bills have won 'Super Bowl' against Browns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Could '64 Bills have won 'Super Bowl' against Browns?

The old war stories will be traded back and forth when former Buffalo Bills from the team's two great eras reunite for the team's Celebration of Champions next weekend.

Jack Kemp, Jim Kelly and a slew of other ex-Bills will return to Ralph Wilson Stadium for the 40th anniversary of the 1965 championship team and a 15th anniversary of the Bills' first Super Bowl team. Festivities run Thursday through Sunday, highlighted by the unveiling of the team's throwback jersey at 2:30 p.m. Saturday.

So it's a good week to chew on a hot stove topic: How would the Bills' greatest AFL championship team, the 1964 squad, have fared against the NFL champion Cleveland Browns? "We'd have won hands down," former Bills cornerback Booker Edgerson said. http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...29/5025003.asp
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Personally...I think Booker's right...I wonder how the team's fortunes would have changed over the years had the Super Bowl only been instituted 2 years earlier and we became the first Super Bowl champs.
    For one thing, we'd be playing for the Lou Saban Trophy every year instead of the Lombardi

The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
      All-Pro Zoner
      • Aug 2004

I agree.

Growing up I had a number of friends who were Browns fans that were also familiar with the Bills and most of them agree that the Bills would have given them a very tough game. The article does a great job of highlighting the real differences between the two teams: the Bills had by far the better defense, while the Browns had a somewhat better offense that didn't turn the ball over as much as the Bills offense did. What they didn't mention was that the Bills had the better special teams with Maguire as the punter and Pete Gogolak as our PK. As good as L.Groza was as a PK, Gogolak, the first soccer-style kicker in pro football, simply had more range.

Personally, I think that the Bills would have won a very close, low-scoring game with a FG being the difference.
      Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

Working...
      X