PDA

View Full Version : Is the OL better or Worse?

juice
05-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Since this staff made the decision to with JPL, and unknown quantity at QB, without allowing him to win the start in an open competition, seems as though TD and staff would've made suring up the OL a top priority through the draft and free agency.

Instead of adding talent to the OL that can compete for the starting LT position vacated by JJ, we've brought in other teams' backups and used the 1st 2 picks in the draft on Recievers one of which may be out for the season.

Not that this team can't always use a speedster at WR or a physical TE but we've used a top pick in each of the last 3 drafts on a WR when we have more pressing needs that this staff has failed to address as promised.

TD brought in a immobile 30+ yr old QB 3 yrs ago and since then has dismantled the left side of the OL without finding a solid starter at LG and now with JJ leaving we have no apparent starter at LT.

With a young unproven QB making his debut as starter it seems as though we have more question marks than players on our OLine.

LT Williams -- Conditioning issues

LG Valerial -- Solid, minor injuries

C Teague -- ? Starter at C, LT

LG Gandy -- Backup?Starter

LT ?? -- No Answer

Who is gonna watch JPL's backside and can we afford a year of "Player by commitee" like we had at LG last year? At this point it appears we have the most question marks on the OLine of any team in the Division.

For the last 3 years the OLine has been an area of concern, and once again there has been no apparent upgrade. JPL will struggle as much as the guys protecting him, instead of a line upgrade this unit has taken a huge step back with the loss of JJ at LT and a LG who wasn't even a starter for most of last season.

Is TD a soft Line GM or is the line not as much of a concern as it appeared last year with slow footed Bledsoe? If this line doesn't jell, JP will lose confidence, and we will once again struggle early.. 0-4 is a pretty deep hole for a 1st year starter.:err:

The_Philster
05-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Where did you get that lineup? :huh:
Gandy-Anderson-Teague-Villarial-Williams is what it's been so far
Gandy's going for LT...we brought in Bennie Anderson from the Ravens to play LG

gr8slayer
05-29-2005, 10:05 PM
Worse. We still have no proven LT or LG.

The_Philster
05-29-2005, 10:08 PM
Bennie Anderson may not be proven at LG...but he's done a pretty solid job at RG for the Ravens for several years

juice
05-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Gandy-Anderson-Teague-Villarial-Williams is what it's been so far
Gandy's going for LT...we brought in Bennie Anderson from the Ravens to play LGI was going by what position Gandy played last year.. Seems if he was a LT he would've started there for the Bears.. They were horrible at that spot last year.

Wasn't Gandy the guy that lost his Guard position to Ruben? My point is that we are lacking talent once again at key OLine positions. Was Bennie Anderson even a starter last year.. I hope TD didn't raid the Ravens practice squad again this year like he did last year with that scrub L. Smith?

gr8slayer
05-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Bennie Anderson may not be proven at LG...but he's done a pretty solid job at RG for the Ravens for several yearsMan as a lineman I can tell you that moving from one side of the line to the other is a ***** of a task.

The_Philster
05-29-2005, 10:14 PM
I was going by what position Gandy played last year.. Seems if he was a LT he would've started there for the Bears.. They were horrible at that spot last year.

Wasn't Gandy the guy that lost his Guard position to Ruben? He was injured...didn't lose his spot due to poor play
My point is that we are lacking talent once again at key OLine positions. Was Bennie Anderson even a starter last year.. I hope TD didn't raid the Ravens practice squad again this year like he did last year with that scrub L. Smith?46 games started in 4 years...do you pay any attention to the guys we're bringing in?

Man as a lineman I can tell you that moving from one side of the line to the other is a ***** of a task.yeah...but I have faith in him..he did hold up at LG against the Steelers for a game last year...no sacks allowed..and he's been putting in the offseason work at the position.

juice
05-29-2005, 10:25 PM
I really haven't paid attention to these guys who look like depth chart players to me. It's all preliminary Coach

What makes you think Gandy can play LT if he couldn't get his LG position back from Ruben.

Anderson isn't starter material at LG because he struggles in pass protection.. he's a good Run blocker but nothing special, needs alot of talent surrounding him to hold his own.. most Ravens fans were glad to see him gone.

Maybe your looking for a LG more in Ruben Browns mold? You can pencil this guy in but he's not the season long answer to help protect JP's blindside.

im4bflo
05-29-2005, 10:33 PM
I think the choice of going with JPL had a little to do with our OL.
I agree, we're not solid (yet) at OL, but JJ was an unknown until he became the player we come to know, I believe the guys we've brought in will become as good as JJ under coach McNally, and now we don't have a statue to protect, so I guess OL became a lower priority, I'm a guy who's been screaming about our OL for years too, but for some reason, I ve calmed this year, I believe they know what they're doing, I like the move to JP a lot!
And I'm having hope that our OL will be fine by opening day, there's a lot of time yet, lets not panic bro! :gobills:

The_Philster
05-29-2005, 10:35 PM
I really haven't paid attention to these guys who look like depth chart players to me. It's all preliminary CoachA solid starter for the Ravens helping pave the way for Jamal Anderson's 2000 yard season is a depth chart player? :huh: :whatthe:

What makes you think Gandy can play LT if he couldn't get his LG position back from Ruben.Honestly, I don't know...his key is staying healthy...but when he did play 14 games in 2003 for the Bears, they were as their starting LT

juice
05-29-2005, 10:44 PM
A solid starter for the Ravens helping pave the way for Jamal Anderson's 2000 yard season is a depth chart player? :huh: :whatthe:
Honestly, I don't know...his key is staying healthy...but when he did play 14 games in 2003 for the Bears, they were as their starting LTThats the problem with Anderson, according to Ravens fans, he can only road grate he's a turnstile in Pass blocking.. Maybe Mouse can work on his technique but it will be tough to make the switch from RG to LG if he already struggles in one aspect of blocking.

gr8slayer
05-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Thats the problem with Anderson, according to Ravens fans, he can only road grate he's a turnstile in Pass blocking.. Maybe Mouse can work on his technique but it will be tough to make the switch from RG to LG if he already struggles in one aspect of blocking.Well having one of the best OL coaches in the league might bring Adersons true ability out. Maybe since he is used to starting and now has to fight for his job will bring the beast out of him.

camelcowboy
05-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Losman already improves the line. Last years line had to protect bledsoe, and he will make any line look bad. Losmans mobility, andersons run blocking will make the line much better. I have hope

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-30-2005, 08:04 AM
I think the offense will be fine. My thinking is with the addition of Parrish, defenses will have to contend with Moulds, Evans, and Parrish and they will have to take out a LB and add a DB in order to match up. That will take pressure off of the line.

Jan Reimers
05-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Thats the problem with Anderson, according to Ravens fans, he can only road grate he's a turnstile in Pass blocking.. Maybe Mouse can work on his technique but it will be tough to make the switch from RG to LG if he already struggles in one aspect of blocking.
If you listen to the fans of almost any team, you will get a totally negative view - as you do from many fans here.

Benny Anderson will be an upgrade at LG - does anyone think Tucker/Smith was an All Pro combination? Gandy or Peters will ably replace Jennings, who was an oft-injured, middle-of-the-road LT.

The_Philster
05-30-2005, 08:47 AM
If you listen to the fans of almost any team, you will get a totally negative view - as you do from many fans here.Good point...when a player leaves via free agency, everyone will say "oh, he wasn't that good anyway"
Like with Pat Williams being so easily replaced by Ron Edwards? Pat Williams has been a stud his entire career here...Ron Edwards has shown flashes at times...but I hope to see him put together some consistency in his play

SABURZFAN
05-30-2005, 11:26 AM
A solid starter for the Ravens helping pave the way for Jamal Anderson's 2000 yard season is a depth chart player? :huh: :whatthe:
Honestly, I don't know...his key is staying healthy...but when he did play 14 games in 2003 for the Bears, they were as their starting LT

jamal anderson???? :huh:

gr8slayer
05-30-2005, 11:26 AM
jamal anderson???? :huh:hahahahha

SABURZFAN
05-30-2005, 11:29 AM
hahahahha

i don't recall him playing for the Ravens. :idunno:

gr8slayer
05-30-2005, 11:32 AM
i don't recall him playing for the Ravens. :idunno:I think he meant to say Jamal Lewis. Maybe the beer was talking?

The_Philster
05-30-2005, 11:56 AM
I think he meant to say Jamal Lewis. Maybe the beer was talking?

:doh: I had the first name right at least :lol:

gr8slayer
05-30-2005, 01:01 PM
:doh: I had the first name right at least :lol:lol its ok, I get names confused all the time.

Dantheman1280
05-30-2005, 07:28 PM
Gandy or Peters will ably replace Jennings, who was an oft-injured, middle-of-the-road LT.

JJ was often hurt but when he was in he was very solid, especially against the fins and Jason Taylor!

juice
05-30-2005, 08:50 PM
If you listen to the fans of almost any team, you will get a totally negative view - as you do from many fans here.

Benny Anderson will be an upgrade at LG - does anyone think Tucker/Smith was an All Pro combination? Gandy or Peters will ably replace Jennings, who was an oft-injured, middle-of-the-road LT.Anderson was a one dimensional run blocking RG with the Ravens, I wonder how much he will struggle in pass blocking if he has to switch sides, learning to play the opposite side of the line isn't a small task.. But I agree anything would probably be an upgrade from Tucker/Smith, but thats not to say he will be effective.

Gandy or peters "Ably" replacing JJ is an absolute stretch with Gandy riding the pine last year once becoming healthy for the Bears and Peters having never played OL in his life - If you put Gandy/Peters next to an Anderson playing a new position, that will be a combination for disaster for the young QB JPL.

LT Gandy and LG Anderson at a new position may destroy JP's confidence if the line can't play as a cohesive unit in weeks 1-4, both of these guys are depth chart players at those positions in that neither has been proven effective as a starter.

finsrclowns
05-30-2005, 08:50 PM
center- Teague- no change
RG- Villarial- no change
RT- Williams- no change
LG- Anderson penciled in, if he doesn't beat out Tucker, no change, so likely plus.
LT- Gandy- have to asume a minus, how big a minus is the $64,000 question. My guess is Gandy will be ok not great.

Depth- Tucker, Preston, Geisinger, McFarland, Peters
Big plus here is Pucillo will be given bus fare. Other than Tucker it's a raw group. We may miss Marcus Price.

Anderson has good potential. He's going to be a big upgrade in the run game. McNally should improve his pass blocking footwork. With his massive size and strength he won't be bull rushed. With coaching he could be Ruben Brown before he got old.

All in all you'd hoped for a bigger upgrade this offseason. IMO this group looks no better than a wash from last year's very average line but I remain hopeful as always. Preston has the size to be a potential upgrade over Teague in a year. Peters is a interesting project, nothing more. McNally made good strides with the line last year. He will be asked to earn his salary again this year.

mysticsoto
05-30-2005, 09:18 PM
RG- Villarial- no change
RT- Williams- no change
LG- Anderson penciled in, if he doesn't beat out Tucker, no change, so likely plus.
LT- Gandy- have to asume a minus, how big a minus is the $64,000 question. My guess is Gandy will be ok not great.

Big plus here is Pucillo will be given bus fare. Other than Tucker it's a raw group. We may miss Marcus Price.

Anderson has good potential. He's going to be a big upgrade in the run game. McNally should improve his pass blocking footwork. With his massive size and strength he won't be bull rushed. With coaching he could be Ruben Brown before he got old.

All in all you'd hoped for a bigger upgrade this offseason. IMO this group looks no better than a wash from last year's very average line but I remain hopeful as always. Preston has the size to be a potential upgrade over Teague in a year. Peters is a interesting project, nothing more. McNally made good strides with the line last year. He will be asked to earn his salary again this year.
I'll agree with that in some respects. Overall, it is probably a wash except for a few things...Mike Williams appears to be in much better shape already than he was when he came in last year. Remember! Last year he cam e in at 400 lbs. Supposedly, he came in to minicamp at 330 lbs - if that was real and not just a reporter's estimate, he must have lost quite a bit and should be in great shape. I would be happy if he's anywhere in the 340-350 lbs area when he comes in to training camp! Additionally, with no personal tragedies in sight, he shouldn't be a distraction to the team as he was last year - allowing for more "gel time".

With JP actually able to move, the line will look alot better, period! Any QB that moves gives defenses trouble. Look at the play last year where McNabb was chased, and for 7 seconds he held out avoiding being tackled before he finally threw a bomb as the secondary broke down. A QB that is able to move can do wonders for an O-line!!!

I'll agree that LT is still up in the air, but I believe that a) at LG, Bennie Anderson will not only be an improvement over what we had, but improve himself under McNally's tutelage. Pass protection can be taught much easier than run protection can as it has to do with technique vs run blocking which has to do with strength and an ability to overpower and move the other. Anderson already has the harder part. b) Our LT will probably "suffice" this year and may improve as the year goes by, but next year, the draft is full of OTs that are quite formidable. Why should TD have pushed and taken an OT that was merely mediocre and maybe not even end up benefiting the team, when he can take a fast, slot receiver that could have an immediate impact. TD did the right thing. All the O-linemen he had on his radar for picking were already taken. We'll get by this year ok and no doubt upgrade our LT next year to one of those behemoth monsters that will be available:

Marcus McNeil - 6'9", 340 lbs
Winston Justice - 6'6", 300 lbs
Max Jean-giles - 6'4, 341 lbs
Eric Winston - 6'7", 310 lbs
Jon Scott - 6'6", 305 lbs
Andrew Whitworth - 6'6", 325 lbs.
[the list goes on - with behomoth tackles that also have speed]

colin
06-01-2005, 03:41 AM
our line will be just good enough to run the O we have in place. our O won't change one bit, but we now have better weapons and a QB who is a great fit for it, instead of drew who was asked to adjust his game to a different O and really didn't produce well. all we need from JP is for him to make a couple plays with his legs, hand the ball off to our power back (i think he is gonna put up 1500+ yards running this season) and put the ball in the hands of the playmakers. he is gonna have some struggles but i expect a better team this year than last year, and last year we were very close in the first 3 games, so i'd say we can get 11 or 12 wins with this line as is.

kbeath
06-01-2005, 08:46 AM
With JP actually able to move, the line will look alot better, period! Any QB that moves gives defenses trouble. Look at the play last year where McNabb was chased, and for 7 seconds he held out avoiding being tackled before he finally threw a bomb as the secondary broke down. A QB that is able to move can do wonders for an O-line!!!

[the list goes on - with behomoth tackles that also have speed]
:sorry: If this was true why does MVick get sacked more every year than every other QB in the League. It ISNT! A mobile QB doesnt help your oline it hurts them especially when you are a young mobile QB. As an NFL QB you need to stay in the pocket. D Ends are so much faster than you are giving credit. If you dont have good OT's and you have a 'mobile' QB you are going to give up a whole bunch of sacks! Hopefully for the Bills he will work on his quick release and not his quick feet.

Oh yeah and come on, HOMERS! I am from Bmore and like the Ravens, Anderson is Garbage. Any real fan knows the ravens run left or start right and cut left towards Mulitalo and Ogden. He is a starter and was easily the worst on their line. He is not the basher you guys are making him out to be. An average run blocker not good in pass protection but on the ravens he had a lot of help. He is an average starter but you alls line is in trouble. Thanks to those who are realistic.

HHURRICANE
06-01-2005, 08:51 AM
RG- Villarial- no change
RT- Williams- no change

I agree with you on Teague and Villarial. Williams will be better this year, so that's an upgrade. Anderson/Tucker is an upgrade because this should improve our running game. LT looks scary right now. Considering this is the guy that protects the blind side I think we still need to address something here between now and August. Gandy is not the answer.

feelthepain
06-01-2005, 09:17 AM
:sorry: If this was true why does MVick get sacked more every year than every other QB in the League. It ISNT! A mobile QB doesnt help your oline it hurts them especially when you are a young mobile QB. As an NFL QB you need to stay in the pocket. D Ends are so much faster than you are giving credit. If you dont have good OT's and you have a 'mobile' QB you are going to give up a whole bunch of sacks! Hopefully for the Bills he will work on his quick release and not his quick feet.

Oh yeah and come on, HOMERS! I am from Bmore and like the Ravens, Anderson is Garbage. Any real fan knows the ravens run left or start right and cut left towards Mulitalo and Ogden. He is a starter and was easily the worst on their line. He is not the basher you guys are making him out to be. An average run blocker not good in pass protection but on the ravens he had a lot of help. He is an average starter but you alls line is in trouble. Thanks to those who are realistic.

I don't follow Baltimore, but I do know that they have a terrible O and any linemen from that team has to come with question marks. J.Lewis is one of the best backs in the game and his skill alone, has made that line look better then it is. I don't agree with the Mobil QB thing, I also agree it makes life tougher for the linemen because they can't find a groove or rythm. You can't block from behind, which is what the Olinemen will be doing if the QB is running. Also to compare PJ to McNabb or Vick or Culpepper is a bit of a stretch both those palyers are much faster then PJ. Vick is probably one of the most gifted athletes in the league he has a strong arm but not an accurate one. McNabb weights about 240-250 and can take a pounding and has a much beeter line and team, besides McNabb doesn't run as much as he used to. PJ will be hurting if he starts taking a pounding by running. His best be is to learn to be a pocket passer.

TedMock
06-01-2005, 02:39 PM

You make some good points about the mobile QB deal, and I can't say that I disagree as far as sacks go. What they do give you is the ability to avoid the more untimely sacks. When they know that they'll probably have to run, they're better. It's when they get indecisive that they take stupid sacks. As for Anderson, I cannot get a clear answer. I live in Northern Montgomery county and I'm surrounded by Ravens fans (which is nice since they're respectful of Buffalo and fellow Redskins haters) and some say Anderson is no good, other's tell me he's a heck of a run blocker. One neighbor said that Anderson is very good straight ahead but not so much when pulling. He also said Anderson took more blame than he deserved, and that most of his problems were more results of Orlando Brown's horrible play. He said Anderson was trying to block his guy and Brown's most of the time. Now, I don't catch a lot of Ravens games simply because I'm watching my team, but it seems as if I'm getting a million different scouting reports on this guy. The same happens with Bills fans when a player leaves. Some wish him well, say he was a very good player, and good luck to you; others say he sucked, overrated, etc. Truth is he's probably somewhere in the middle.

juice
06-09-2005, 10:49 AM

All in all you'd hoped for a bigger upgrade this offseason. IMO this group looks no better than a wash from last year's very average line but I remain hopeful as always.Seems as though we took the long route in finding a replacement for R. Brown by bringing in a Ruben type player who was another non-passing teams' worst Lineman.

Two years, Two QBs, and three draft picks traded to the Cowboys later, we've yet to fill our LG position with a player who can be considered an upgrade over RB or can effectively protect Bledsoes' or JPLs' blind side.. lets face it we dont need a road grader type LG when the right side of the line, behind Vallerial and Williams, is obviously our strongest run blocking side of the line and a majority of our run plays will be focused in that general vacinity.

I thought TD had learned his lesson with picking up Raven rejects when the L. Smith experiment went bad last year.. What made him think that we could replace our line captain with a practice squad player who couldn't even make the active roster with the Ravens anyway.

Meanwhile our line almost got Bledsoe killed causing us to have to release him to the Cowboys without getting any compensation, we've yet to make the Playoffs with the #2 & #3 Defense over the past 2 years, and now here comes the next McNally experiment Bennie Anderson, and another Raven outcast.. When is TD gonna get serious about upgrading the O-Line? Maybe when JPL gets blindsided and put out for the season or Willis suffers another major knee reconstruction.

HHURRICANE
06-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Meanwhile our line almost got Bledsoe killed causing us to have to release him to the Cowboys without getting any compensation, we've yet to make the Playoffs with the #2 & #3 Defense over the past 2 years, and now here comes the next McNally experiment Bennie Anderson, and another Raven outcast.. When is TD gonna get serious about upgrading the O-Line? Maybe when JPL gets blindsided and put out for the season or Willis suffers another major knee reconstruction.
Bledsoe had enough protection. He and he alone blew the Steelers game and that is why he is gone. He looked like a deer in headlights and when you don't look off coverage, hang on the ball for ten seconds, don't move your feet, than yes, you are at risk. The ironic part is that he never got hurt but managed to put his recivers and TE's in harms way every time he threw a high ball or threw behind them. That's why Eric Moulds was glad to see Bledsoe walk!

Yasgur's Farm
06-09-2005, 11:24 AM
I think he meant to say Jamal Lewis. Maybe the beer was talking?:posrep: You countered ALL the negs with facts... Nice job.

BTW... Gandy didn't have trouble taking his starting job back... He was on IR and not eligible to return.

Mahdi
06-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Seems as though we took the long route in finding a replacement for R. Brown by bringing in a Ruben type player who was another non-passing teams' worst Lineman.

Two years, Two QBs, and three draft picks traded to the Cowboys later, we've yet to fill our LG position with a player who can be considered an upgrade over RB or can effectively protect Bledsoes' or JPLs' blind side.. lets face it we dont need a road grader type LG when the right side of the line, behind Vallerial and Williams, is obviously our strongest run blocking side of the line and a majority of our run plays will be focused in that general vacinity.

I thought TD had learned his lesson with picking up Raven rejects when the L. Smith experiment went bad last year.. What made him think that we could replace our line captain with a practice squad player who couldn't even make the active roster with the Ravens anyway.

Didnt Ruben Brown give up a lot of sacks when he was here?...anyone have his stats?...Besides I think with Bennie's run blocking ability and McNally's help he will be an upgrade over RB.

juice
06-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Bledsoe had enough protection. He and he alone blew the Steelers game and that is why he is gone. He looked like a deer in headlights and when you don't look off coverage, hang on the ball for ten seconds, don't move your feet, than yes, you are at risk. The ironic part is that he never got hurt but managed to put his recivers and TE's in harms way every time he threw a high ball or threw behind them. That's why Eric Moulds was glad to see Bledsoe walk!TD knew that DB was an immobile pocket passer yet he failed to bring in personnel that could create a pocket and I don't think the TE got injured because of where DB placed the ball, in fact I remember Camball getting injured on a TD pass a week or two after he caught 3 TD passes.. either way the lack of ability to protect the QB was a major reason Bledsoe took soo many sacks and his value was ruduced to zero thus resulting in his release.

As far as Moulds I don't think his numerous drops during the season helped raise DBs' trade value very much.
:posrep: You countered ALL the negs with facts... Nice job.

BTW... Gandy didn't have trouble taking his starting job back... He was on IR and not eligible to return.Gandy didn't end the season on IR , he went down with a Hammy, Brown was moved from backup RG to starting LG, and once Gandy became healthy once again he was moved to backup RG because the Bears O-Line was playing better without him, if I'm not mistaken.

In any case it's been a couple of years since Gandy has played effectively at a TacKle position and the Bears weakest position on the O-Line was at LT yet Gandy wasn't able to replace either the LG or LT to earn a starting position.. he finished the season as a depth chart player at RG.

I'm just not confident that this guy can protect JPLs' blind side at LT playing next to Anderson at LG who struggles in pass protection and was a below average pass blocker all the way over on the other side of the line with Baltimore.

Yasgur's Farm
06-09-2005, 12:22 PM
Gandy didn't end the season on IR , he went down with a Hammy, Brown was moved from backup RG to starting LG, and once Gandy became healthy once again he was moved to backup RG because the Bears O-Line was playing better without him, if I'm not mistaken.I don't think these are correct facts... I'll admit I haven't done the research but I was under the impression he started the 1st 4 game last season before being injured. The injury was lingering and eventually the Bears released him. I imagine they did this because he was in the last year of his contract and it made no sense to place him on IR.

Spielmanrules54
06-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Gandy's LT numbers are strikingly similar to those of Jennings... (so are the injuries, unfortunately) The only reason Gandy was switched from LT was that the Bears wanted to work in Marc Columbo, a first round pick for that position. Gandy didn't do as well at guard, but it's not his natural position... Anyway guys... I'm sure McNally had serious input about signing the guys we signed... if he sees something in them he likes we have to put out trust in that. He actually got a good year out of Mike Williams after what looked to be an extremely shaky start. I think TD is planning on drafting an LT next year... apparently the draft is going to be heavy in Offensive tackles... so for now it's Gandy... if we can get a couple solid years out of him it will be fine... with a mobile quarterback and solid running game... the LT pass protection can get away with being "solid".