PDA

View Full Version : Ok, it's almost June...what do you think?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-31-2005, 02:43 PM
Were are getting close to training camp, and while many would argue that there are big pieces of the puzzle missing, I feel that this team is ready to put it all together for a hell of a run.

Here's what I think we have going for us.

1) Coaching staff stayed intact, and has experience and control of the team.

2) Ownership is on the same page as the front office and the coaching staff.
That is a big deal; in my opinion. Look at Cleveland and Miami for examples of what happens when you don't have this....

3) Our Defense looks to be very good to excellent.
a) Defensive line should be solid if not spectacular. I am going out on a limb and expecting our young D-linemen to have a breakthrough year. Anderson, Kelsay and Sape will be big factors this year I think.
b) Linebackers still the class of the league, and our backups are learning from the best so that they are at least servicable backups.
c) Secondary is going to be tough this year, if we stay healthy.
We don't know for sure if Vincent will be at safety or CB, but between Clements, Vincent, Milloy, McGee, Thomas, Baker and Greer, I think we have all the makings of a very respectable package. I don't mention Wire because I don't see him having a positive impact on the secondary.

3) Our offense is at the very least average, and if all goes well, could be good. History shows that you need not have a great offense to win championships.
a) O-line is coming together, I will give the benefit of the doubt to our coaching staff and their personnel judgement. I keep thinking we will sign Marcus Price at a bargain price to be our starting LT, with Gandy waiting in the wings for the inevitable injuries. Either way, I think our Oline is respectable and will get the job done. Won't be a dominating unit, but won't find themselves being dominated often either.
b) Running back position looks strong with Henry in the mix...if we trade Henry I want another good back here to backup Willis. Perhaps the other guys we have will prove capable, we will have to see.
c) Receivers look solid. I couldn't ask for much better, actually.
Moulds, Evans, Parrish, and Aiken will be the main forces, perhaps Reed will contribute, but hard to say at this point. Anyone else wish we would have cut Reed instead of Shaw? If we had Shaw I would feel even better, but even without him, I think we can do whatever we want passing the ball.
The TE is not heavily featured in our offense, so we will get by despite the lack of health and talent on the roster.
d) QB---Losman deserves the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. I don't think he will be Tom Brady, but I am thinking he will put up good numbers, and give us a better chance to win every game than Bledsoe did. Holcomb is a very solid backup, we won't have to worry if JP goes down.

4) Special teams are very good with the exception of Lindell who is average.
Special teams will help win us at least three games, Lindell may cost us a game or two if he stays on the roster all year, which would surprise me.

5) Buffalo is DUE for a good season. Not an average season, but a GOOD season. A good season means playoffs, and a solid run in the playoffs.
AFC championship not necessary.

6) The celebration of champions and the throwback uni's etc will help get our guys thinking like champions. If they can get over that mental hurdle, they might turn the corner on success this year.

Ok, now fire away..but in the end, remember... if we don't reach the promised land, :blamelog:

Mudflap1
05-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Some valid points, but you've made an overly positive post with several assumptions:

1. J.P. Losman. The guy hasn't done anything yet. I'm as interested as anybody to see him play, and I'm hoping he's fantastic. While you can't say "he'll suck", you can't say "he's gonna be great" either, and factor that into how the season will go. He's a complete enigma. History would suggest that he'll defintely have his growing pains. He could turn out like Roethlisberger. Or he could turn out like Ryan Leaf. We just don't know yet. Here's to hoping he turns out like the next great J.P. Losman.

2. Marcus Price being re-signed is probably unlikely at this point. Why wouldn't it have been done already? And if he is re-signed, why would he be the starting LT all of a sudden? Wouldn't the staff want him brought in for the mini-camps to work with the first team and/or second team. I suppose the team feels like they're projected starters are solid enough at this point. Time will tell, but I sure would've like to have seen some more guys brought in this offseason at LT (Anderson should be good).

3. Receivers should be ok. Parrish will have a learning curve (took Lee Evans several games last year to get in the swing of things). They're not great though. The key really is the emergence of a 3rd threat to free up Moulds some more.

4. Assuming Anderson and Edwards will step up and be 'breakthrough' players is also an enigma. Kelsay too. They might be better, they might be busts. Right now we have two legitimate veterans starting on the DL, Adams and Schobel. Kelsay showed some improvement last year, but is far from being a force to be reckoned with. Edwards showed some solid play in relief duty, but again, has shown to be far from fantastic so far in his career. To say this group may be spectacular I think is quite a bit optimistic. It's possible. We'll see.

5. Assuming Lindell will be gone I think is foolish. Tom Donahoe said himself in an interview before the draft that he likes Lindell and his productivity. I don't think he's going anywhere this year, unfortunately.

6. Why is Buffalo due for a good season? Sure, there's some luck in football, but this team has been being built for 5 years. There's a reason the Bills have missed the playoffs the first 4 of those years. I hope they get over the hump this season, I really do, but there are still some holes and question marks on this roster. Who will be the 3rd receiver that steps up to take pressure off of Moulds and Evans? Will a TE emerge as a legitmate receiver? Who will be the starting left tackle that will protect the franchise quarterback? Is the franchise quarterback going to be any good? Can Willis McGahee sustain his productivity and stay healthy for a full season as the starter? Will Anderson and Edwards will the shoes of Pat Williams? Will Chris Kelsay or Ryan Denney improve? Will Troy Vincent be solid in his first full year starting at free safety? Will Terrence McGee improve at CB? Will Ryan Lindell make clutch kicks? Will the team stay healthy as a whole?

Frankly, I don't think there should be this many questions heading into Year Five. It makes me nervous.

Lots of questions...

Jon

EDS
05-31-2005, 05:35 PM
I for one am excited about the upcoming season. The Bills front office has done a great job bringing in younger talent and the coaching staff has the makings of a very good unit. There is a lot to be excited about. Sure the team will have some growing pains, particularly with a new QB, but there is a lot of talent in place to take the pressure off of JP.

Drive 4 Five
05-31-2005, 06:41 PM
I for one am excited about the upcoming season. The Bills front office has done a great job bringing in younger talent and the coaching staff has the makings of a very good unit. There is a lot to be excited about. Sure the team will have some growing pains, particularly with a new QB, but there is a lot of talent in place to take the pressure off of JP.

:goodpost:

I agree 100% + J.P. Losman is an "upgrade" at quarterback as far as I am concerned. That being said, we will be better than last season. I don't know if it will be enough to get us into the post season but we will improve on last year. I don't see this team taking a step back...

:peace:

madness
05-31-2005, 07:49 PM
I think we have too many "learning curves" for a 16 game season. The only thing that is going to save our butts is that we face some pretty weak run defenses in the first half of the schedule. If Willis is 100% like he is supposed to be, I feel confident we can cover the spread on these "learning curves".

If our running game is dominate in the first half of the schedule and we can get through the second half unscathed, we hopefully can see everything come together just in time for the playoffs. :up:

TigerJ
05-31-2005, 09:31 PM
There are question marks about the season. At QB Losman will be the answer or he won't. I hope he will. I think he will but I can't do much more than that at this point. The only other area where I think there is a significant question is left tackle. Obviously, the Bills believe they have viable candidates to take that job and do well, otherwise I think they would have made some overture to LJ Shelton, but until I see it, I'll be unsure.

jamze132
05-31-2005, 10:19 PM
It's going to be an interesting year. I do however expect the playoffs this year. But I would take two wins over the Dolphins again and be happy. One from the Patsys would really top off the season!

OpIv37
06-01-2005, 09:06 AM
I'm expecting a very mediocre season for four reasons.

1. The o-line still SUCKS. McNally's great but TD has way too much confidence in him. You can't build palace from a pile of ****, and so far that's all McNally has to work with. Hopefully Anderson will help, but Gandy's a career back-up. I like the move for depth but it doesn't improve our starting o-line at all.

2. Losman- I think he'll encounter some growing pains. Not that it matters because our o-line is going to get him and Willis killed by week 3.

3. D-line. A major factor in the success of our D last year was the ability to absolutely blow up the run. Pat Williams was a huge factor in that and I doubt Anderson and Edwards have the size to be as effective in this area. The good news is that we returned 10 starters so we should be in decent shape, but I don't expect our D to be as dominant with a reduced ability to contain the run. Also, Shoebel and Kelsay are liabilities when they bounce runs to the outside.

4. Lindell. I've been reading Marv Levy's book, and he commented on how field position after a TD is a major factor in determining how well the opposing O bounces back. Despite having a great coverage unit, opponents consistently start at their 35 due to Lindell's crappy kickoffs. Add to that his lack of distance on FG's and zero clutch ability, and this guy is a huge liability.

I hate off-season and I'm anxious for kickoff, but at the same time I'm apprehensive because of all these question marks. I think it's going to be another frustrating year.