PDA

View Full Version : Steussie or Turley?

X-Era
06-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Steussie was a guy that was highly thought of a few years back going into FA. Havent seen much of him since then, but I know he played very well for the Vikes.

Turley is much heralded and maligned. Personally Id love the guy! He is a nasty road grader type player who flat out overachieves every snap. Head case? not even close! The guy simply had an exchange with Martz, Bledsoe had more than one run in with Parcells, does that make him a head case? Not even. The guy doesnt ***** about money like TO and isnt always hyping himself. Hes the nasty type of o-lineman I think we badly need. Only question is the back issue. I dont care if hes 30 something, he is an instant upgrade at LT and really just as good or better as Jennings. I think he can be had for an incentive ladened deal.

Both are set to be released and either is a big upgrade.

capitolneal
06-01-2005, 10:09 AM
last I heard Turley was only 230pds and wants to play d-line because his back is messed up.... and stussie is OLD no i would stick with what we got

Bulldog
06-01-2005, 10:12 AM
I think Turley is done. His back injury is a major concern. Don't know much about Steussie. Any idea why he's being released? Is his age a factor? You would think if he was playing at a high level, his current team would want to keep him.

X-Era
06-01-2005, 10:13 AM
last I heard Turley was only 230pds and wants to play d-line because his back is messed up.... and stussie is OLD no i would stick with what we got
Cast off Gandy who is the perfect version of a FA undrafted FA, and who else? Theres no guys that are proven commodities at LT other than Teague and he is probably staying put at C.

Either of these guys at least has a shot at making the LT position solid. You give me old on stuessie but old means very experinced too. Turley at 230 cane asily go back to 290 and start at LT with quality workouts, besides I highly doubt he is down to 230.

X-Era
06-01-2005, 10:16 AM
I think Turley is done. His back injury is a major concern. Don't know much about Steussie. Any idea why he's being released? Is his age a factor? You would think if he was playing at a high level, his current team would want to keep him.
TB has cap problems, and yes hes 34. He currently is working out at both T spots for TB. I dont want him as our future only a guy who can be solid for a year or 2 while Losman and our young o-lineman or Gandy grow into their roles. He could be had for the vet minimum pretty easy.

X-Era
06-01-2005, 10:19 AM
One more thing, Steussie has 12 years of experience at T and has started every game except for one until last year, seriously, he started all games except for one in the past 10 years!!!! Last year he missed some games due to injury for the first time in his career. Thats exactly the kind of guy we need!

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
06-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Yep, if Steussie can give us 10 solid games and be ready for the playoffs, I would take my chances with him at LT. He most certainly has at least another couple of years left in the tank. He is a much safer bet than Turley, although I would love to see a relatively healthy Turley at LT too.

justasportsfan
06-01-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm sure our front office is aware of what players are available and have assessed whether these guys are upgrades over what we already have. I'll just wait and see what the Mouse thinks.

Seventeen&0
06-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Yep, if Steussie can give us 10 solid games and be ready for the playoffs, I would take my chances with him at LT. He most certainly has at least another couple of years left in the tank. He is a much safer bet than Turley, although I would love to see a relatively healthy Turley at LT too.

Playoffs?
Your kidding right?
Rookie QB, I don't think so

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
06-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Playoffs?
Your kidding right?

Nope, not kidding. Yep, I am a Bills fan but I am realistic too.
I didn't expect playoffs last season....the Bills actually did better than I
expected.
And I don't expect an AFC championship either....
But to rest your doubts on the misnomer of JP being a rookie QB is just not
a strong argument. There are too many other factors to consider.

With all of the tools this team has, there is no reason they can't put together enough to make the playoffs. At this point in the season what is the point of doubting that the pieces will come together?

Anyway I was more referring to Steussie being healty at the end of the season than I was declaring an immanent playoff berth.

Bulldog
06-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Playoffs?
Your kidding right?

Considering that Buffalo had the 26th rated pass offense last year and missed the playoffs by one game, I don't think the playoffs are that far out of reach. It's not like Buffalo is counting on Losman to play like Manning or anything. He needs to be consistent and make a few big plays a game to prevent the defenses from stacking the box against the run.

EDS
06-01-2005, 11:32 AM
One more thing, Steussie has 12 years of experience at T and has started every game except for one until last year, seriously, he started all games except for one in the past 10 years!!!! Last year he missed some games due to injury for the first time in his career. Thats exactly the kind of guy we need!

Turley will never play tackle again in the NFL, his back is toast and he cannot support the weight he would need for the position. Steussie is old and fading fast, he would at most be a stop-gap. Gandy, for what it is worth, did start 13 games at left tackle for the bears two years ago, so it is not like he never played the position.

Philagape
06-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Playoffs?
Your kidding right?

Yeah, no team has made the playoffs with a rookie QB since ..................... last year!! :doh:

gr8slayer
06-01-2005, 12:13 PM
None of the above. Stussie is old and wearing down and Turley is completely broken down already.

Something tells me that no matter who is available we are done signing OL for the year.

Michael82
06-01-2005, 12:34 PM
How about this guy?

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3520

ryven
06-01-2005, 02:24 PM
How about this guy?

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3520

Dont know much about him him but could atleast he could be competition for camp if not a solid back up.

gr8slayer
06-01-2005, 02:41 PM
How about this guy?

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3520We really need to start brining in some youth. Notice the age of all our OL signed this offseason. They are not in it for the long haul.

Michael82
06-01-2005, 02:48 PM
We really need to start brining in some youth. Notice the age of all our OL signed this offseason. They are not in it for the long haul.
I hope the Bucs cut this guy...it would be an interesting option...

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235254

gr8slayer
06-01-2005, 02:58 PM
I hope the Bucs cut this guy...it would be an interesting option...

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235254
He was a first round pick was he not?

Michael82
06-01-2005, 03:04 PM
He was a first round pick was he not?
All Bills fans wanted to take him, but Donahoe traded that pick and got Clements and Henry for the price of 1. :up:

The_Philster
06-01-2005, 04:02 PM
Turley would be better off sitting out 2005 and coming back in 2006 with the change in position and his injury concerns

EDS
06-01-2005, 04:09 PM
We really need to start brining in some youth. Notice the age of all our OL signed this offseason. They are not in it for the long haul.

Gandy is 26. Anderson 29. Gandy should just be entering his prime, Anderson has at least 3 years before age becomes a factor.

EDS
06-01-2005, 04:10 PM
All Bills fans wanted to take him, but Donahoe traded that pick and got Clements and Henry for the price of 1. :up:

That was a great trade in retrospect.

Jayhawk
06-01-2005, 04:39 PM
and steussie is a drugie.

Jan Reimers
06-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Why do we always assume that aging, has-been, ex-steroid users - because they were once decent players - are an upgrade over what we already have?

colin
06-02-2005, 03:07 AM
why does everyone like turley? he has never been that good, and has been on the other side of a line with a super top of the NFL tackle (roaf in NO and pace in St Lou) for most of his NFL games.

he had ability and talent, but it never came to fruition, and he is a spaz head case.

BuffaloRanger
06-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Turley may be through. His back and stories of him drying up after taking roids are a concern. I wonder what McNally thinks of him? If McNally approves then they should definitely bring him in. Go to camp with as many Olineman as possible, let their play sort them out. Camp is not the time to find out that Gandy can't hang at LT or Anderson is a screen door.

He has more heart and fire than TT. Get him up to 275 and put him at Center or Guard. He wouldn't get owned by NTs. He would be a fan favorite in Buffalo. A big, wild, tattooed white guy all fired up! Remember: There are alot of Mullets at the Ralph on Sundays.

kbeath
06-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Turley doesnt take roids so where did that come from. Link. I like kyle he plays with a mean streak and is a solid blocker i am just not sure about his back.

LifetimeBillsFan
06-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Except for S.Gragg, none of the OT options mentioned in this thread is a realistic option for the Bills. Here's some reasons why:

K.Turley:
According to numerous articles on various websites, K.Turley told the Rams doesn't want to play OT anymore because he has a bad back and felt that he was taking too much of a pounding that was effecting his back playing the position. He got his weight down to 235 because he feels that he could be effective playing DE at that weight and it wouldn't cause as much damage to his back.

T.Steussie:
In addition to the fact that Steussie's play has deteriorated over the last two years and he was banged up last season, Steussie is one of the Carolina players, along with T.Sauerbrun, who reportedly received steroids from the MD who was busted by the feds for providing steroids to NFL players. While none of the players was caught by the NFL, according to a number of articles, the league could punish some or all of the players involved with suspensions once evidence is presented by the government that they received steroids from the doctor during the up-coming trial or if they testify during the case that they did. While Denver was willing to take a risk on Sauerbrun because he is one of the best punters in the NFL, Steussie's play in recent years and his potential involvement in the case makes him an even greater risk than Sauerbrun. (I'm not sure, but Steussie may already have one strike against him as far as the NFL's drug policy is concerned, so, if evidence were to come out that he received steroids from this MD, it could be considered a second strike that would result in a suspension.) If Steussie is signed and, then, suspended, not only would the team lose his services, but his contract would count against their salary cap.

K.Walker:
While there has been some speculation that K.Walker might be a salary cap casualty because his play has been disappointing thus far and, as a former 1st round pick, he has a large contract, I have also seen mention in a coupple of articles since the draft that J.Gruden is not as unhappy with K.Walker as a lot of TB fans are and that he would like to keep him, if possible. Additionally, K.Walker is currently recovering from off-season knee surgery and, according to an article on the Bucs website, and it appears that he will be given every chance to retain his starting RT job--D.Deese was last year's and currently is the Bucs starting LT.

S.Gragg:
While he was a salary cap casualty, S.Gragg was something of a disappointment for the 49ers after signing with them as a FA and was let go as part of the 49ers shake-up of their offensive line after the line performed so poorly last season. Gragg is basically the player that the 49ers signed J.Jennings to replace, so you have to question how good of a replacement he would be for JJ. On the other hand, S.Gragg began his career with the NY Giants under Coach McNally and developed and played well enough for him that he was able to sign a big FA contract with SF. It is possible that Gragg liked working with McNally and that McNally might like Gragg enough that the Bills might be willing to take a chance on seeing if Gragg can return to the form that got him that big contract again under McNally's tutelage. But, then again, McNally might feel that he can get as much out of Gandy and Peters as he could out of Gragg or may want to see what Gandy and Peters look like in training camp first before considering bringing in Gragg.