• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Steussie or Turley?

Steussie was a guy that was highly thought of a few years back going into FA. Havent seen much of him since then, but I know he played very well for the Vikes.

Turley is much heralded and maligned. Personally Id love the guy! He is a nasty road grader type player who flat out overachieves every snap. Head case? not even close! The guy simply had an exchange with Martz, Bledsoe had more than one run in with Parcells, does that make him a head case? Not even. The guy doesnt ***** about money like TO and isnt always hyping himself. Hes the nasty type of o-lineman I think we badly need. Only question is the back issue. I dont care if hes 30 something, he is an instant upgrade at LT and really just as good or better as Jennings. I think he can be had for an incentive ladened deal.

Both are set to be released and either is a big upgrade.

• capitolneal
    • Sep 2003

last I heard Turley was only 230pds and wants to play d-line because his back is messed up.... and stussie is OLD no i would stick with what we got

Comment

• Bulldog
      Top Dog
      • Jan 2003

I think Turley is done. His back injury is a major concern. Don't know much about Steussie. Any idea why he's being released? Is his age a factor? You would think if he was playing at a high level, his current team would want to keep him.
      I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by capitolneal
        last I heard Turley was only 230pds and wants to play d-line because his back is messed up.... and stussie is OLD no i would stick with what we got
        Cast off Gandy who is the perfect version of a FA undrafted FA, and who else? Theres no guys that are proven commodities at LT other than Teague and he is probably staying put at C.

Either of these guys at least has a shot at making the LT position solid. You give me old on stuessie but old means very experinced too. Turley at 230 cane asily go back to 290 and start at LT with quality workouts, besides I highly doubt he is down to 230.

Comment

• X-Era
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Bulldog
          I think Turley is done. His back injury is a major concern. Don't know much about Steussie. Any idea why he's being released? Is his age a factor? You would think if he was playing at a high level, his current team would want to keep him.
          TB has cap problems, and yes hes 34. He currently is working out at both T spots for TB. I dont want him as our future only a guy who can be solid for a year or 2 while Losman and our young o-lineman or Gandy grow into their roles. He could be had for the vet minimum pretty easy.

Comment

• X-Era
            • Feb 2005

One more thing, Steussie has 12 years of experience at T and has started every game except for one until last year, seriously, he started all games except for one in the past 10 years!!!! Last year he missed some games due to injury for the first time in his career. Thats exactly the kind of guy we need!

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
              • May 2004

Yep, if Steussie can give us 10 solid games and be ready for the playoffs, I would take my chances with him at LT. He most certainly has at least another couple of years left in the tank. He is a much safer bet than Turley, although I would love to see a relatively healthy Turley at LT too.
              "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
              --Leo Durocher

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

I'm sure our front office is aware of what players are available and have assessed whether these guys are upgrades over what we already have. I'll just wait and see what the Mouse thinks.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Seventeen&0
                  six&10
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                  Yep, if Steussie can give us 10 solid games and be ready for the playoffs, I would take my chances with him at LT. He most certainly has at least another couple of years left in the tank. He is a much safer bet than Turley, although I would love to see a relatively healthy Turley at LT too.
                  Playoffs?
                  Your kidding right?
                  Rookie QB, I don't think so

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                    • May 2004

Originally posted by Seventeen&0
                    Playoffs?
                    Your kidding right?
                    Nope, not kidding. Yep, I am a Bills fan but I am realistic too.
                    I didn't expect playoffs last season....the Bills actually did better than I
                    expected.
                    And I don't expect an AFC championship either....
                    But to rest your doubts on the misnomer of JP being a rookie QB is just not
                    a strong argument. There are too many other factors to consider.

With all of the tools this team has, there is no reason they can't put together enough to make the playoffs. At this point in the season what is the point of doubting that the pieces will come together?

Anyway I was more referring to Steussie being healty at the end of the season than I was declaring an immanent playoff berth.
                    "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
                    --Leo Durocher

Comment

• Bulldog
                      Top Dog
                      • Jan 2003

Playoffs?
                      Your kidding right?
                      Considering that Buffalo had the 26th rated pass offense last year and missed the playoffs by one game, I don't think the playoffs are that far out of reach. It's not like Buffalo is counting on Losman to play like Manning or anything. He needs to be consistent and make a few big plays a game to prevent the defenses from stacking the box against the run.
                      I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by jp-era
                        One more thing, Steussie has 12 years of experience at T and has started every game except for one until last year, seriously, he started all games except for one in the past 10 years!!!! Last year he missed some games due to injury for the first time in his career. Thats exactly the kind of guy we need!
                        Turley will never play tackle again in the NFL, his back is toast and he cannot support the weight he would need for the position. Steussie is old and fading fast, he would at most be a stop-gap. Gandy, for what it is worth, did start 13 games at left tackle for the bears two years ago, so it is not like he never played the position.

Comment

• Philagape
                          WIN NOW
                          • Jul 2002

Playoffs?
                          Your kidding right?
                          Yeah, no team has made the playoffs with a rookie QB since ..................... last year!!
                          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• gr8slayer
                            • Feb 2005

None of the above. Stussie is old and wearing down and Turley is completely broken down already.

Something tells me that no matter who is available we are done signing OL for the year.

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

How about this guy?

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Comment

Working...
                              X