PDA

View Full Version : Price upset at ProBowl disclussion, may test FA market

northernbillfan
12-20-2002, 05:13 AM
From AP:

If receiver Peerless Price needed another reason to consider leaving the Buffalo Bills after this season, Thursday's AFC Pro Bowl team announcement was it.

Growing tired of playing in the shadow of Bills' marquee receiver Eric Moulds, Price found it difficult to contain his disappointment when Moulds and not Price was selected as one of the AFC's four receivers to play in next February's Pro Bowl Game in Hawaii.

''It definitely makes me think about it,'' Price said, referring to testing the free agent market once his contract runs out at the end of this season. ''It's a thought, of course. It's me being a competitor and the type of player I am. Yeah, it's a thought because I know there's more opportunities out there for me.''

Price, in his fourth year with the Bills, is enjoying a breakout season. With two games left, he's already set career highs with 1,156 yards receiving, 84 catches and nine touchdowns all of which rank him among the NFL's top eight receivers.

In comparison, Moulds has the same number of touchdowns, two more catches and 11 more yards receiving.

More (http://www.boston.com/dailynews/353/sports/Bills_Price_unhappy_in_being_l:.shtml?Bills_Price_unhappy_in_being_l:.shtml)

WG
12-20-2002, 05:43 AM
Price: :wail:

The PB is so outlandishly subjective anyway that's it's not even truly a pure measure of how well a player has played for that season.

How does Drew get in over Brady? Let's get real, Drew's faded over the stretch. Besides, Brady has more TDs on 500 fewer yards, fewer INTs, a higher rating.

As to Price, which WR does he want ousted in favor of him?

Rice, who's had at least as good of a season and is the single biggest reason for the Raiders' success other than Gannon?

Harrison who's blown Price away and is the best WR in the game today even over Moss?

Moulds who has done what Price has and played better over the past few years?

Ward who has also outperformed Price?

The Pro Bowl has become nothing more than a glorified fan popularity contest. Fans obviously vote for their own players and not who's the most deserving.

Eg., How many people here voted for Gannon or Brady over Bledsoe? I would have if I would have voted and been honest, b/c they've both had better seasons and neither has had the weapons that our offense has.

Players make the Pro Bowl and that is used to boost a players career often when a player was not even deserving. Even we here have scratched our heads over Brown making the Pro Bowl for several years when he's had all those penalties. I'm not saying he isn't deserving this season, but he sure hasn't been fore every season that he's made it.

If this is gonna set Price off, then fine. Let his whining complaining ass walk. He's starting to sound like Bruce and Reed combined regarding his contract and "how much he's worth."

Reed will fill in just fine! Price would no doubt have been next, but he's not better than the 4 AFC WRs on there now.

don137
12-20-2002, 06:04 AM
Wys, remember balloting for the pro-bowl started way before Bledsoe's slide and befor Buffalo played NE the first time. I agree Gannon and Brady outplayed Drew but Drew had a ton of votes early on and those votes are not taken away just because a player production tails off.

Price once again proves he is all about Peeless. If he wants to test the FA market then let him. I don't want a disgruntled player on the team. He will soon learn grass is greener on the other side. Let him go somewhere like Carolina to be the #1 receiver and see what happens to his #'s. His best chance to ever make the pro-bowl is with Buffalo.

Mr. Miyagi
12-20-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by don137
If he wants to test the FA market then let him. I don't want a disgruntled player on the team. He will soon learn grass is greener on the other side. Let him go somewhere like Carolina to be the #1 receiver and see what happens to his #'s. His best chance to ever make the pro-bowl is with Buffalo.
I agree. If he signs somewhere else he will end up a nobody without Bledsoe throwing him the ball. He wasn't much of anybody in the past years with RJ and Flutie. It was Bledsoe who made him what he is now.

History speaks for itself. Look at all these "good" receivers who switches teams thinking they're all that, and now their stats aren't even close to what they were before: Az-Zahir Hakim, Bill Schroeder, Corey Bradford, Keyshawn Johnson, Keenan McCardell, Antonio Freeman, Johnnie Morton, Willie Jackson...shall I go on????

Stick around, Peerless, brighter days are still ahead...

Voltron
12-20-2002, 08:19 AM
Wow I agree with Wys about something :). I can see why price is upset and all but who is he going to replace? He needs to sit down and put things in perspective. I can't wait to see what Josh Reed really has :D.

On a different note I think it is a shame that Brian Moreman did not make it for first team punter. He has had some awsome punts this year. He had some not so awsome ones too but he has kicked some 50 yarders against the wind! Well like most said nothing but a popularity contest.

Novacane
12-20-2002, 08:20 AM
TO all of the posters who have stupidly been believing that Price would take less to stay here because we have such a good offense.............................I told you so! PP is a ME ME ME player!

blcny
12-20-2002, 08:56 AM
Bye Bye Peerless!!!
Let's spend the money on DEFENSE!!!
Price is an I player, and we all know there is no I in team. Our offense will be fine without him. We need help on the defensive side. Bledsoe, Moulds, Henry and Reed make up a great offense. We don't need Price and his big salary. We need a defense that can hold opponents to 20 points or less. That more important.

Ð
12-20-2002, 09:04 AM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Peeless

WG
12-20-2002, 09:26 AM
LOL

Was that intentional or a typo? "Peeless"

Originally posted by don137
Wys, remember balloting for the pro-bowl started way before Bledsoe's slide and befor Buffalo played NE the first time. I agree Gannon and Brady outplayed Drew but Drew had a ton of votes early on and those votes are not taken away just because a player production tails off.

Price once again proves he is all about Peeless. If he wants to test the FA market then let him. I don't want a disgruntled player on the team. He will soon learn grass is greener on the other side. Let him go somewhere like Carolina to be the #1 receiver and see what happens to his #'s. His best chance to ever make the pro-bowl is with Buffalo.

I hear ya 137, agreed. That's the problem w/ the PB voting. A player can make it b/c "their streak" happens at the beginning of the season. Surely that's why Drew made it, b/c he sure has only played very average ball after that.

Price would be next in, so to complain about that is definitely as many of you said, "me first" that we simply don't need here. Has anyone heard Reed pissin' and moanin' b/c he hasn't gotten the ball more? Of course not. He's more of a team player. I have a hunch anyway that if we were to pay Price, that he'd become an issue w/ this team. We don't need that or the risk of it.

casdhf
12-20-2002, 09:38 AM
Price only had a good season because of Moulds, anyone else smell Alvan Harper?

Novacane
12-20-2002, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by casdhf
anyone else smell Alvan Harper?

I do!

:church: Peerless.......................I think he will be a disapointment to any team that signs him to be thier # 1.

JJamezz
12-20-2002, 10:51 AM
I love it... He's 'growing tired' of playing in Moulds shadow.. What a joke. He hasn't even been worthy of holding EM's jock until this season, and now with less than 1 full season under his belt, where he has actually stepped up his game with play worthy of his 2nd round pick, he's ready to head out of town...

I don't particularly fault the guy for wanting to be a #1 and making as much $ as he can, but he's in for a rude awakening if and when that happens.. Watch Peerless become Peerful with no Moulds, Bledsoe and Gilbride - as he plummets out of his orbit back to the mediocrity of his first three seasons.

:flush:

Earthquake Enyart
12-20-2002, 11:07 AM
His whole argument makes no sense. He didn't make the Pro Bowl here putting up big numbers so he'll leave? Where is he going to go where he can put up bigger numbers?

don137
12-20-2002, 11:12 AM
Wys, believe or not "Peeless" was a typo...

One team he wold be a good fit for is Philadelphia but I am not sure of Philly cap position. Most teams looking for a #1 suck and he will be a one year wonder if he doesn't play his cards right.

Akhippo
12-20-2002, 11:28 AM
Where were the quotes saying that he is tired of playing behind Moulds. And has anyone here ever done anything competitive. Why is it not ok for him to be disappointed with not making the pro bowl. Sure he shouldnt feel jilted because the WRs that went were deserving. He put up a very good year and this is his first time with even a possibility of going. If I had a pick of WRs to choose from, Price would be in the mix, however you cant fault a guy for wanting to be the man. Im not saying that hes weighing the pros and cons. or that it would be the best for his career. Its always a gamble when you change systems. However, to dog him after what hes done this year is stupid. Give the guy his due, hes earned his rookie contract, and whatever his decision, wish him well and move on.

Earthquake Enyart
12-20-2002, 11:32 AM
I'm not dogging him, I just don't understand his logic.

Where does he think he's going to go to put up bigger numbers?

Novacane
12-20-2002, 11:34 AM
It is fine for him to be disapointed in not making the pro-bowl AK! What people are po'd about is how he is not being a team player about it.

The Natrix
12-20-2002, 12:23 PM
Two factors have started to change my mind regarding the importance of signing Peerless Price

Midway through the season my stance was that Peerless was a huge part of this offense, and his importance was being underestimated. I felt that the Bills would be better with Peerless than the defensive stud we could aquire.

The first has been the tailing off of our "high flying offense." With Peerless gone, maybe Gilbride will wake up and smell what Henry is cooking and never give him less than 25 carries (assuming no injury or that we don't get down 28-0 in the 1st). With Peerless and Moulds on the team, not to mention J Reed who deserves more catches next year whether he is the 2nd or 3rd, it will be very difficult for ANY OC, not to mention Gilbride, not to throw it a lot.

The second factor is what I just heard. Peerless could have went either way, as far as getting on the first team. Crying about it is ridiculous. Peerless, you should be thinking about the Green Bay game, not some meaningless game in February.

As a side note, I disagree with anyone who says he is a product of the system. The things I have seen him do this season, make it clear to me that he can be a solid #1 in this league. The system doesn't teach you blazing speed, sure hands, crisp route running, and YAC ability that is unmatched.

SABURZFAN
12-20-2002, 03:20 PM
SO LONG PEERLESS!!!!!!

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!!!

The_Philster
12-20-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by casdhf
Price only had a good season because of Moulds, anyone else smell Alvan Harper?

I'm thinking along the same lines. Too many WRs leave a productive career as a #2 with one team so they can be the #1 with another. Harper is one...Brett Perriman is another. You'd think they'd learn that systems do help make the player

RedEyE
12-20-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix
Two factors have started to change my mind regarding the importance of signing Peerless Price

Midway through the season my stance was that Peerless was a huge part of this offense, and his importance was being underestimated. I felt that the Bills would be better with Peerless than the defensive stud we could aquire.

The first has been the tailing off of our "high flying offense." With Peerless gone, maybe Gilbride will wake up and smell what Henry is cooking and never give him less than 25 carries (assuming no injury or that we don't get down 28-0 in the 1st). With Peerless and Moulds on the team, not to mention J Reed who deserves more catches next year whether he is the 2nd or 3rd, it will be very difficult for ANY OC, not to mention Gilbride, not to throw it a lot.

The second factor is what I just heard. Peerless could have went either way, as far as getting on the first team. Crying about it is ridiculous. Peerless, you should be thinking about the Green Bay game, not some meaningless game in February.

As a side note, I disagree with anyone who says he is a product of the system. The things I have seen him do this season, make it clear to me that he can be a solid #1 in this league. The system doesn't teach you blazing speed, sure hands, crisp route running, and YAC ability that is unmatched.

Well stated. I'd like to also add that Peerless has increased his showboating 10 fold this year. Don't get me wong, I don't mind a TD dance know and again, but PP seems to do it after every freakin' catch. It especially annoys me when he finally catches a ball for the first down, the team is trailing by 20 points, and the O has yet to put a point on the board. (You'd think the guy was on special teams or something.) If he want's to be a Terrell Owens or Randy Moss 'style' player then let him walk. This is a team game and the Bills do not need that type of cancer right now.

LMB
12-20-2002, 04:59 PM
I say let him test the market. Receivers are a dime a dozen. We need the money for the D.

Tatonka
12-20-2002, 09:51 PM
i will say first that i dont really think we need to resign peerless, with reed on the bench.. not for the money that he will command..

i will also say this.. you guys act like the guy hasnt earned every penny he signed for originally.. all he has done is improved EVERY YEAR HE HAS BEEN HERE... and someone said that he couldnt hold EM's jock until this season.. well if you think that is true, take a look at last years numbers.. cuz he had better numbers than EM.. so i dont know about who was holding who's jock.. but i know that price is a good player..

will he be as good without EM on the other side? no

do you typically only get one shot at signing a huge contract like price is about to? yes

is it wrong for a guy to want to be recognized by fans and peers as a talented receiver? no

if someone offered you 20 million or 40 million, which would you take? if you say 20 to win a superbowl your full of ****... a ring is nice, but 20 million bucks is a lot of friggin money..

i will miss him, but wont be upset when he leaves.. and i wish him all the luck in the world.

Tatonka
12-21-2002, 04:52 PM
bump